Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
“There’s always next year…”
This team had a second year QB coming off of an injury that would permanently disable most of the people on this forum, coming back in 9 months to lead a team of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year players and a cobbled together defense all the way to the Super Bowl, where they led well into the 4th quarter against a team with superstars everywhere.

They have a very large amount of cap space, more than any other team in league, that they can go out and spend to fill their holes (teehee). They’ll have enough space to bring back most of the players they should, while still being able to spend enough to start getting the offensive line to a respectable place.

No one expected this yet. A super bowl loss (although painful) is not the end of what is being built here. This team will build its weaknesses up, and they will be perennial Super Bowl contenders, and for the first time in my life, I can say that I’ll be very surprised if they don’t win one soon.

I’ve seen a lot of negative takes on this team in the last 12 hours, and I get it…it definitely stings. But some perspective is terribly needed when reflecting on what’s going on here. “There’s always next year” is no longer said as a joke. They’ll be back, stronger and better. And hopefully, with a bit of luck on the health and draft/FA fronts, be back in the Super Bowl.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 01:00 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: This team had a second year QB coming off of an injury that would permanently disable most of the people on this forum, coming back in 9 months to lead a team of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year players and a cobbled together defense all the way to the Super Bowl, where they led well into the 4th quarter against a team with superstars everywhere.

They have a very large amount of cap space, more than any other team in  league, that they can go out and spend to fill their holes (teehee). They’ll have enough space to bring back most of the players they should, while still being able to spend enough to start getting the offensive line to a respectable place.

No one expected this yet. A super bowl loss (although painful) is not the end of what is being built here. This team will build its weaknesses up, and they will be perennial Super Bowl contenders, and for the first time in my life, I can say that I’ll be very surprised if they don’t win one soon.

I’ve seen a lot of negative takes on this team in the last 12 hours, and I get it…it definitely stings. But some perspective is terribly needed when reflecting on what’s going on here. “There’s always next year” is no longer said as a joke. They’ll be back, stronger and better. And hopefully, with a bit of luck on the health and draft/FA fronts, be back in the Super Bowl.

Kudos to the nice Broncos fan who came on this forum last night to offer words of comfort. Specifically, he said, from his experience with the Broncos, when the Bengals finally achieve victory in a Super Bowl it will be that much sweeter because of the course to get there. That's a very comforting thought. 
Reply/Quote
Part of me knows this team will be a force for years to come, and I expect them to win it all next year. With that being said, I also realize that unless you are Tom Brady you can't count on being in the SB more than once or twice in your entire career (and even he had a 10 year drought which would have stopped most mortal QBs right there).

It took us a long time, but we finally capitalized on the parity the NFL has in place to make sure a team like the Bengals can make it to the SB with a few good drafts and some key FA pickups. Now we have to stay sharp because other teams are gunning to take our place as the new emerging force.

Hell, right now we are on a 2 year streak where a team gets a vet QB who is known for being on one team and then they win it all in his first year in their home stadium...wacky.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 01:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Part of me knows this team will be a force for years to come, and I expect them to win it all next year.  With that being said, I also realize that unless you are Tom Brady you can't count on being in the SB more than once or twice in your entire career (and even he had a 10 year drought which would have stopped most mortal QBs right there).

It took us a long time, but we finally capitalized on the parity the NFL has in place to make sure a team like the Bengals can make it to the SB with a few good drafts and some key FA pickups.  Now we have to stay sharp because other teams are gunning to take our place as the new emerging force.

That is what I was referring to - people here are WAY too blase about making it back to the Super Bowl. Who would have guessed Dan Marino when they got there in his second season would never return? The odds do not favor teams making repeat Super Bowl trips. THIS WAS THEIR CHANCE and they blew it. Also we know how the Bengals roll - I have sketchy confidence the front office will do what is needed because the need position are not Mike Brown values ones. 
Reply/Quote
Well said Johnny! Personally, I am proud of this team. We will be in the discussion for post seasons to come. They played hard all season and made believers everywhere. Time to take a break and refresh. See everyone in about month!!
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 01:19 PM)Joelist Wrote: That is what I was referring to - people here are WAY too blase about making it back to the Super Bowl. Who would have guessed Dan Marino when they got there in his second season would never return? The odds do not favor teams making repeat Super Bowl trips. THIS WAS THEIR CHANCE and they blew it. Also we know how the Bengals roll - I have sketchy confidence the front office will do what is needed because the need position are not Mike Brown values ones. 

I hear ya, and I'll admit I haven't been this confident we'd bounce back since 2005...so yeah, shows what I know.  With that being said, it isn't insanity to picture the Bengals being back or being a dynasty in the making, but we are also used to hitting a brick wall of sorts when it comes to winning.

I don't think we'll be the Buffalo Bills of the 2020s, though.  Let's see.....the teams that have lost the SB haven't had it too great for a while.  They've been in the mix mostly, but other than the Rams (and the Patriots, but they never count) they haven't won it, and the Rams had such an overhaul since 2018 to win this SB we are convinced they're going to be 3-14 for the next decade.

Burrow is going to have to be the next Brady for us to get many cracks at the SB, I guess.  But the list of the 20 most recent SB losers doesn't paint a picture of "we'll be back next year" that's for sure.
Reply/Quote
I may need a break from this forum for a bit just to decompress.

What a great season. Really proud of these guys and there's just too much anger and finger pointing by some fans on here right now and I'm just wanting to enjoy the ride we just came off.

Great post johnny.

See you guys when I'm ready to comeback.
Reply/Quote
How many next year threads we gonna get over under? 6.5?
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow made the Super Bowl in his first full season starting with a horrible offensive line. There’s no doubt that we’ll be back multiple times over the next decade. I say that because I don’t even think the line is the number one reason for the loss. I think a more experienced Joe Burrow gets the ball out faster and wins the game in spite of the line. I’m not blaming Joe Burrow, I’m just saying that he’s unlike any quarterback the NFL has ever seen. He almost overcame the bad blocking and won the game last night. So when the offensive line does get fixed, there’s zero doubt that we’ll be back. In fact I predict a Super Bowl win next year if the offensive line is at least average.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 01:19 PM)Joelist Wrote: That is what I was referring to - people here are WAY too blase about making it back to the Super Bowl. Who would have guessed Dan Marino when they got there in his second season would never return? The odds do not favor teams making repeat Super Bowl trips. THIS WAS THEIR CHANCE and they blew it. Also we know how the Bengals roll - I have sketchy confidence the front office will do what is needed because the need position are not Mike Brown values ones. 

Are you aware that multiple teams have lost Super Bowls then bounced back to win one in the near 40 year span since Dan Marino lost his? Including the team we beat to get to the Super Bowl and the team we lost to in the Super Bowl. Dan Marino is an anomaly
Reply/Quote
Maybe this is better said a week from now, but some of you need to try to be more optimistic about the team's trajectory.

Russell Wilson went to two Super Bowls back-to-back.
Patrick Mahomes went to two Super Bowls back-to-back.

If you genuinely believe that Joe Burrow is one of the next great QBs in the NFL, then there is a path back to the big show. He got them this far with a patchwork offensive line. Imagine him with a top 10 unit.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Actually from what I heard on the news there may not be a "next year". Apparently society is going to collapse and we are all going to be political prisoners.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 272767692_5099783090074575_5423252496662...e=6232011B]

I saw this and realized that by not knowing how football years work, this guy accidentally gave himself a chance to have an accurate tattoo if the Bengals win it all next year. 
Reply/Quote

Joelist who has never believed in the Bengals to overcoming adversity nor come back from any deficit doesn't think the Bengals will get back to the Super Bowl? Color me shocked.  Whatever
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
He can do it. He's not Marino or Aaron, he'll be better than them. Burrow stands on the shoulders of giants, you learn from the past. When someone paves the way, it makes it "easier". Look at how many rings Kobe won copying Michael. Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually from what I heard on the news there may not be a "next year". Apparently society is going to collapse and we are all going to be political prisoners.

I hope I get locked in a political sex dungeon.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 02:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually from what I heard on the news there may not be a "next year". Apparently society is going to collapse and we are all going to be political prisoners.

Link? 
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 01:36 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: Joe Burrow made the Super Bowl in his first full season starting with a horrible offensive line. There’s no doubt that we’ll be back multiple times over the next decade. I say that because I don’t even think the line is the number one reason for the loss. I think a more experienced Joe Burrow gets the ball out faster and wins the game in spite of the line. I’m not blaming Joe Burrow, I’m just saying that he’s unlike any quarterback the NFL has ever seen. He almost overcame the bad blocking and won the game last night. So when the offensive line does get fixed, there’s zero doubt that we’ll be back. In fact I predict a Super Bowl win next year if the offensive line is at least average.

[Image: 200.gif]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
NFL Championship Appearances:

Joe Namath 1
Len Dawson 1
Ken Anderson 1
Aaron Rodgers 1
Ken Stabler 1
Drew Brees 1
Dan Marino 1
Boomer Esiason 1