Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WR homer thread
I read an article about ANOTHER weapon for the STOOLERS that emerged Sunday and it got me thinking (and frustrated)....

"One reason to get excited: Markus Wheaton was a nonfactor for the first 10 games, but exploded for nine catches and 201 yards. Wheaton had been waiting to emerge as the Steelers’ primary slot receiver. With the Seahawks paying extra attention to Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant, Roethlisberger smartly worked the middle of the field and Wheaton capitalized. "Better chemistry," Wheaton said of what prompted the breakout, referring to finding a rhythm with Roethlisberger."

Am I a homer to think that MJ=Bryant and Sanu=Wheaton?

Brown is > AJ but AJ still commands a double team thus allowing MJ and Sanu to get more looks yet our 3 WR don't put up the yards like CRAPsburgh and Eifert should be the equalizer of the issue related to Brown>AJ as Eifert warrants special attention /coverage too.

Maybe it's Big Jen's talent but I feel like we win games in spite of our offense some times (not always of course ) where CRAPsburgh only wins due to their O.

We are the better overall team but I feel we should also be the better O (thus, crushing everyone).

I love my Bengals and maybe expect too much (?) but I don't "see" why Pitt's O is so much more potent than ours or more feared. I think it's b/c they allowed to hit the gas and try to light it up and our coaches
limit our O. Not sure what it is.

We also have a crazy dynamic player in GIO that they don't and AD is having a good year

What is it that makes Crapsburgh so scary to play?

On that note, why don't we play to our optimum levels weekly?

We have more talent on O than anyone IMO and despite winning - I still feel we leave a lot in the tank.

We saw the first 1/3rd of the season what this team can REALLY do. We looked like we knew we were he best and the bully on the block. Man that was fun to see as a Bengals fan. Then, it's as if the coaches poured water on the O and said "slow down fellas, let's not hurt anyone's feelings."

It's like we are a really good team w a lot of talent that keeps it contained and don't play passionate/inspired/swagger football on O

The D plays with that X-factor at times. More than than the O.

Discuss.....
Reply/Quote
Our offense is scoring more points than the steelers.
Reply/Quote
Agreed and we are a better team as a whole.

But I think this O is either being held back or not operating at 100% (scary b/c are ALREADY good).

Can you imagine when this O gets the handcuffs taken off and ....GOES OFF?

No one one will be able to hang.

My question was what exactly is holding us back these days?

The coaches? It's just odd.

As good as we are - Something's still not clicking.

When we do - and open it up - we will DESTROY teams.
Reply/Quote
^^^maybe I'm being greedy and a homer but I just think we are potentially the most potent O in the league but can't seem to pull it all together and EXPLODE on teams.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 10:16 AM)Whacked Wrote: ^^^maybe I'm being greedy and a homer but I just think we are potentially the most potent O in the league but can't seem to pull it all together and EXPLODE on teams.

I watched the stoolers game,Wheaton was a beast,but no one seemed to worry about him they left him open about every play. I agree with the potent O. Big Jen put up 546 yards and lost!!! 
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes, Pig Ben threw for 456 yards, but he still averaged 8.6 ypa despite a lot of deep passes. Dalton averaged 8.6. The steelers only ran the ball 14 times the entire game, with 55 pass attempts. No wonder fatty got knocked around. No balance at all. Oh, this is funny. 5 of those rushes were piggy's. Only 9 rushing attempts the entire game.

I don't see their offensive weapons at WR as better, but they sure got a lot more opportunities.

To be honest, I think our real advantage lies in the receiving options outside our three WRs (AJ, Marvin, and Sanu):

Tyler Eifert
Ryan Hewitt
Gio Bernard
Rex Burkhead

I said before the season that if Rex was a Patriot, he would have 50+ receptions. He is very shifty in close quarters. I was really hoping he would force defenses to worry more about him in the middle. He comes in for one or two plays, but is lined up out wide.

I would love to see him spell Sanu in the slot for a series or two. If he gets going before the playoffs, that is just one more thing opposing defenses have to worry about.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Every year on a few teams there are a handful of guys who come out of nowhere. They have one or two touches in five games and then BAM, 10 catches for 200 yards and 6 touchdowns or some crazy Madden type crap.

And then you don't see them again after that season. Sure, they might put up a few more decent games that year, but then they disappear.

Those guys are put on this Earth just to drive fantasy football gurus crazy.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 11:37 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yes, Pig Ben threw for 456 yards, but he still averaged 8.6 ypa despite a lot of deep passes.  Dalton averaged 8.6.  The steelers only ran the ball 14 times the entire game, with 55 pass attempts.  No wonder fatty got knocked around.  No balance at all.  Oh, this is funny.  5 of those rushes were piggy's.  Only 9 rushing attempts the entire game.

I don't see their offensive weapons at WR as better, but they sure got a lot more opportunities.  

To be honest, I think our real advantage lies in the receiving options outside our three WRs (AJ, Marvin, and Sanu):

Tyler Eifert
Ryan Hewitt
Gio Bernard
Rex Burkhead

I said before the season that if Rex was a Patriot, he would have 50+ receptions.  He is very shifty in close quarters.  I was really hoping he would force defenses to worry more about him in the middle.  He comes in for one or two plays, but is lined up out wide.  

I would love to see him spell Sanu in the slot for a series or two.  If he gets going before the playoffs, that is just  one more thing opposing defenses have to worry about.
Yes sir!!! Put yards like that up and still lose is funny as f$&@. bengals are loaded and they all know it. I just hope their healthy when we face them. Our db's can slow their offense down and their d is non existent. WHO DEY great time to be a bengals fan. 

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 11:37 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I said before the season that if Rex was a Patriot, he would have 50+ receptions.  He is very shifty in close quarters.  I was really hoping he would force defenses to worry more about him in the middle.  He comes in for one or two plays, but is lined up out wide.  

Love the Burkhead aka GIO 2.0 idea and have thought the same many times!  He is a baller.
TOTALLY Agree

Another idea? HEWITT - Tyler 2.0  lol
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 12:14 PM)Whacked Wrote: Love the Burkhead aka GIO 2.0 idea and have thought the same many times!  He is a baller.
TOTALLY Agree

Another idea? HEWITT - Tyler 2.0  lol

So many weapons great time for bengals, we have weathered a many years of bad to mediocre football. Bengals have arrived. I'm drunk on the kool aid. 

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 11:37 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yes, Pig Ben threw for 456 yards, but he still averaged 8.6 ypa despite a lot of deep passes.  Dalton averaged 8.6.  The steelers only ran the ball 14 times the entire game, with 55 pass attempts.  No wonder fatty got knocked around.  No balance at all.  Oh, this is funny.  5 of those rushes were piggy's.  Only 9 rushing attempts the entire game.

Tyler Eifert
Ryan Hewitt
Gio Bernard
Rex Burkhead

I said before the season that if Rex was a Patriot, he would have 50+ receptions.  He is very shifty in close quarters.  I was really hoping he would force defenses to worry more about him in the middle.  He comes in for one or two plays, but is lined up out wide.  

I would love to see him spell Sanu in the slot for a series or two.  If he gets going before the playoffs, that is just  one more thing opposing defenses have to worry about.
I'd like to see them let Burkhead run the ball more.   The guy is strong, has great acceleration and lateral movement - and he's not afraid to get his pads low and hit the line if there  is no hole.

That would open him up for receptions.   When Hugh puts him in (except in garbage time) he is always in there as a receiver.  If you make him less predictable he'll have a bigger impact.  I wish they'd put him and McCarron in for more snaps yesterday.  We had the game wrapped up and it would have been good for them.

Hopefully we'll have another opportunity in Cleveland.  Let Hill's ankle heal and give Burkhead some snaps.
Reply/Quote

Tyler Eifert
Ryan Hewitt
Gio Bernard
Rex Burkhead

Agree about Rex.  Sunu is a strong runner but isn't quick enough to get separation.  MJ can but not consistently.  Like you I'd love to see them switch Rex out in the slot, especially when teams are blitzing to run quick slants, etc.
Reply/Quote
Agreed. McC and Rex should have played the entire 4th Q as the game was done. Keep them "ready".

Ps-besides wheels, Rex has hands too!

Weapon! Use the dude !!
Reply/Quote
I'll add that I love the way Sanu finishes off his plays. He looks to truck people.
Reply/Quote
Am I the only one who's not impressed by Bens 456 yards. He threw the ball like 60 times. If you throw 60 times u should put up atleast 400 yards especially with the rules of today's football
[Image: BernLocksig.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 01:03 PM)BernLock Wrote: Am I the only one who's not impressed by Bens 456 yards. He threw the ball like 60 times. If you throw 60 times u should put up atleast 400 yards especially with the rules of today's football

And that many yards and still lose LMAO LMAOagree that's just around 8 yard per throw avg. 

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 01:03 PM)BernLock Wrote: Am I the only one who's not impressed by Bens 456 yards. He threw the ball like 60 times. If you throw 60 times u should put up atleast 400 yards especially with the rules of today's football

I'm with you on that one.  The game was never in "garbage mode" or anything like that, but passing for big yardage in a loss is always a sort of boobie prize, as it is.  People were praising the 350+ yards Manziel put up against the Steelers, but I watched the game and at no point was the outcome ever in doubt.  So what.
Reply/Quote