Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
1 win away from being in argument for best Bengals team ever
(01-26-2022, 12:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The '88 team made it to the Super Bowl and almost won with a crippled QB.  Boomer was complete trash in the postseason and we still went 2-1.  In his 3 postseason games COMBINED he completed 45.3% of his passes for 346 yards, 1 td, 3 ints, and a 48.0 passer rating.  Andy Dalton's playoff numbers are better than Boomer's from '88.

The '88 team was the best in Bengal history, and based on what they were able to do with their MVP barely able to play, I would say it is not even close.

RE: Boomer - He was? I don't even remember How was he banged up?
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 06:54 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Sorry bro, but annual ranks don't mean alot.
Please use PPG/Avg.

Those stats you listed, are reset every year.
81 we scored: 421/16= 26.3 ppg
88 we scored: 448/16= 28 ppg
21 we scored: 460/17= 27ppg

81 Def: 304/16= 19 ppg
88 Def: 329/16= 20.5 ppg
21 Def: 376/17= 22.1 ppg

so defense isn't quite as good as the previous 2 years, but offense is on par with them.

Sorry bro, but comparing just plain ppg between eras means absolutely nothing because rule changes have created an increase in scoring league-wide.

In '81 the average amount of points scored was 20.7
In '88 the average amount of points scored was 20.3
In '21 the average amount of points scored was 23.0

So if you really want to compare ppg, you need to do it as ppg vs the league average in order to adjust for era...

In which case
'81: +5.6
'88: +7.7
'21: +4.0

The '21 offense is not on par with the two SB offenses.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 11:08 PM)Whacked Wrote: RE: Boomer - He was? I don't even remember How was he banged up?

Yeah, he hurt his shoulder late in the season, I can't even recall who it happened against.  But he skipped the Pro Bowl too because of it. 
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 12:10 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yeah, he hurt his shoulder late in the season, I can't even recall who it happened against.  But he skipped the Pro Bowl too because of it. 

He didn't have a particular incident that caused an injury. It just started to bother him late in the year. An accumulation of throwing a lot of NFL footballs really hard a bunch of times. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
LOL

Can you imagine Burrow and Mixon playing behind this line?

LT Munoz
LG Reimers
C Kozerski
RG Montoya
RT Walter - injured week 16 - Blados in the playoffs
TE Holman
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 10:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: No doubt, the Defense plays for the Offense and the ST's plays for everybody.

You see after the game the amazing comradery going on with all the players from the Kicker to the QB, to the RB to the Defensive 
enforcers. I have never seen it like this as when Sam Wyche was doing his thing I was 7 years old and didn't ever get to see things 
like this what we can see today cause of the interwebz. Awesome thing to behold in a time that honestly sucks besides this lol

Indeed. It's a beautiful thing. I hope they can keep it together a few years 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 12:10 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yeah, he hurt his shoulder late in the season, I can't even recall who it happened against.  But he skipped the Pro Bowl too because of it. 

(01-27-2022, 12:31 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: He didn't have a particular incident that caused an injury. It just started to bother him late in the year. An accumulation of throwing a lot of NFL footballs really hard a bunch of times. 

Thanks All
My memory is awful. I don’t even recall any of that. Lol
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 02:00 AM)Wyche Wrote: Indeed. It's a beautiful thing. I hope they can keep it together a few years 

That really is the question on how they handle keeping this team together cause in a few years Burrow will be making mad money
if he keeps it up. This is my only question with QB's like Mahomes and Burrow in these times with they get paid so much to the 
detriment of the team as a whole. It leaves holes elsewhere and is a big reason I wish there was some cap on what QB's get paid.

And I hate regulation, but Mahomes contract is ridiculously high.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 03:10 AM)SladeX Wrote: This is my favorite team, I’ll say that.

I could get behind that!!
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 10:51 AM)SladeX Wrote: I thought Chuck Knox of the Seahawks was the first one to try that tactic. Of course, Ground Knox hated the hurry up!

I’m sure I’ve got this right the more I think about it. Sam was PISSED. Marv copied Knox.

Joe Nash had an injury after every play it seemed.....
Reply/Quote
On the whole, from beginning to end, the '81 and '88 teams are still ahead for me. This team drove me crazy throughout the season but they're matching the feeling since the Chiefs game. 

After this team wins the Super Bowl, they will vault to #1. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I still believe that 88 team wins the Super Bowl if Krumrie doesn’t break his leg in the first quarter.
Reply/Quote
The 81 OL was absolutely monstrous. DL was loaded. Solid LB crew. And some HOF worthy DB's. Anderson was an efficient leader. WR had some good depth.

Several Canton snubs on that team. Ken Riley, Parrish, maybe Reggie Williams? Good team, and Forrest Gregg was a hard ass. But with some tweaks here and there, mainly the OL, we have a solid team.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 12:02 AM)Billy_Bengal Wrote: I still believe that 88 team wins the Super Bowl if Krumrie doesn’t break his leg in the first quarter.

Absolutely they do. That guy was a one man wrecking crew.
Reply/Quote
I don't know that this is the "best" team because it's hard to factor in different era's, and Kenny Anderson was a precision machine at QB in his day. But I do know this is my favorite team. And I think that is because I am much older, and they are so young. We watched them struggle through the tough times over the last couple of years and now watch them have success. I'm as proud of them as if they were my own Grandkids.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 11:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sorry bro, but comparing just plain ppg between eras means absolutely nothing because rule changes have created an increase in scoring league-wide.

In '81 the average amount of points scored was 20.7
In '88 the average amount of points scored was 20.3
In '21 the average amount of points scored was 23.0

So if you really want to compare ppg, you need to do it as ppg vs the league average in order to adjust for era...

In which case
'81: +5.6
'88: +7.7
'21: +4.0

The '21 offense is not on par with the two SB offenses.

Thanks for those numbers, makes the Defense better. We still have a difference of opinion, i didn't say Better, just on par.
This team isn't near as complete as either of those (OL issues), but they are close, very young and in-consistent early in the season.

In '81 the average amount of points scored was 20.7, Bengals D: 19 Net: -1.7
In '88 the average amount of points scored was 20.3, Bengals D: 20.5 Net: -0.2
In '21 the average amount of points scored was 23.0, Bengals D: 22.1 Net: -0.9

So with Def by era taken into consideration, they are in the ballpark.

If they get that OL addressed over the off-season... Could get scary.. 

But it's nice to be arguing about something like this :)
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2022, 10:58 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: But it's nice to be arguing about something like this :)

100%

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote