Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15 Steals in the 2017 draft- Bengals got 2 of them...
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/15-steals-in-the-2017-nfl-draft/ss-BBAy5Ua?li=BBnb7Kz#image=14
Reply/Quote
We really did have THE draft. Getting those two guys in the 3rd and 4th, I would've been happy with taking them in the second round. They're both coming in with a chip on their shoulder, I expect great great things.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 08:37 AM)Takedown Wrote: We really did have THE draft. Getting those two guys in the 3rd and 4th, I would've been happy with taking them in the second round. They're both coming in with a chip on their shoulder, I expect great great things.
No doubt from a talent perspective they hit this draft out of the ball park. The trade down in round 2 and still landing mixon was smooth as could be. Then both defensive ends fall right into our lap. As well were able to land Josh Malone, a guy who has really been rising on my boards. Will be a lot of talent going into training camp, if this team can stay healthy they appear to upgraded both sides of the roster.
Reply/Quote
Per PFF:
Quote:Carl Lawson:
Medical and arm length questions dropped Lawson, but his game film is suggestive of a first-day talent. He totaled a ridiculous 67 combined QB pressures in 2016, including 22 knockdowns, concluding the year with a 90.9 PFF pass-rush grade. — Josh Liskiewitz, @PFF_Josh

Quote:Jordan Willis
Cincinnati turned its focus to the defensive side of the ball with this pick, selecting our No. 15 overall player in Jordan Willis. While some question Willis’ flexibility on film, he was a top-performer both at the combine in March and on the field in 2016. He finished second in the FBS with 80 total QB pressures, showing the power to bull rush and the first-step explosion to hit the edge. If he can improve his finishing ability, he could be one of the steals of the draft. — Josh Liskiewitz, @PFF_Josh

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-jordan-willis-edge-kansas-state/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-carl-lawson-de-auburn/?utm_content=bufferf7261&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

Their number 14 and 15 overall prospects.

Not bad at all.
Reply/Quote
Carl Lawson might be my favorite pick of the draft. The guy sounds like an animal on the field.
Reply/Quote
Those were my 2 favorite picks as well.

I'm hoping they use Lawson at OLB to rush the passer...even only if for 5-7 times a game. That would give us such a different look than we've had since maybe Steve Foley was here.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 08:49 AM)lbrown41017 Wrote: No doubt from a talent perspective they hit this draft out of the ball park. The trade down in round 2 and still landing mixon was smooth as could be. Then both defensive ends fall right into our lap. As well were able to land Josh Malone, a guy who has really been rising on my boards. Will be a lot of talent going into training camp, if this team can stay healthy they appear to upgraded both sides of the roster.

That CB Wilson was a solid pick as well  CB/RB Special teamer
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 11:55 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: That CB Wilson was a solid pick as well  CB/RB Special teamer

I totally agree, I mean he can always run the ball back if we need him to, as well will be instant impact on special teams.
I'm interested in possibly giving him some reps at safety, think he would be a real solid safety and keep williams honest.

I'm a big fan of this draft.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 10:49 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Those were my 2 favorite picks as well.

I'm hoping they use Lawson at OLB to rush the passer...even only if for 5-7 times a game. That would give us such a different look than we've had since maybe Steve Foley was here.

We could do a bit of a hybrid approach.

show a 3-4 look with Willis,Burffict, Minter, Lawson as LBs and Geno, Billings, Dunlap as the 3 down lineman. Would be a really interesting look.
Reply/Quote
That's what I'm hoping for AU.

Willis had really good measurable as far as speed for a DE.
Reply/Quote
See we can say this, but there are reasons why players fall. This isn't to say these guys won't be good, but what looks good at a steal on our paper looks like we missed something on another's
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 01:06 PM)eoxyod Wrote: See we can say this, but there are reasons why players fall. This isn't to say these guys won't be good, but what looks good at a steal on our paper looks like we missed something on another's

Agreed. You just hope that our coaches can coach them up or find ways to cover it up with scheme.

Some of the guys we drafted had injury history that scared teams away (Ross, Lawson, and the C we drafted later.)
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 01:06 PM)eoxyod Wrote: See we can say this, but there are reasons why players fall. This isn't to say these guys won't be good, but what looks good at a steal on our paper looks like we missed something on another's

Not necessarily, you don't draft a player just cause he falls a few rounds if he doesn't fit your scheme.
Almost Half the teams in the NFL run a 3-4, so a 4-3 Contain DE has less teams that would be interested in him and could cause a fall. Billings fell for the same reason last year. 4-3 Run Stuffer DE, those are not in high demand. Same with LB's. We are seeing an increase in Edge rushers and 3-4 ILB's. It's been happening for several years now, where traditional 4-3 guys have been falling.
Look at Rey Maualuga, after seeing him play for a few years, I think he would do much better as a 3-4 ILB vs a 4-3 MLB (which he was projected as and played at USC), and he fell too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:33 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Not necessarily, you don't draft a player just cause he falls a few rounds if he doesn't fit your scheme.
Almost Half the teams in the NFL run a 3-4, so a 4-3 Contain DE has less teams that would be interested in him and could cause a fall. Billings fell for the same reason last year. 4-3 Run Stuffer DE, those are not in high demand. Same with LB's. We are seeing an increase in Edge rushers and 3-4 ILB's. It's been happening for several years now, where traditional 4-3 guys have been falling.
Look at Rey Maualuga, after seeing him play for a few years, I think he would do much better as a 3-4 ILB vs a 4-3 MLB (which he was projected as and played at USC), and he fell too.

Billings is a NT 3-4 or 4-3 not a DE. People questioned if he could create any pass rush, also were worried about his size (short).
Reply/Quote
I'd be surprised if we ran 3-4 type stuff. It doesn't seem to be our thing.

I am thrilled with those picks, because I can only picture Atkins, Dunlap, Willis and Lawson rushing the passer on passing downs. Should really help this defense get off the field on 3rd downs.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 02:42 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'd be surprised if we ran 3-4 type stuff.  It doesn't seem to be our thing.

I am thrilled with those picks, because I can only picture Atkins, Dunlap, Willis and Lawson rushing the passer on passing downs.  Should really help this defense get off the field on 3rd downs.

We actually have done it in the past, not often but it has been done. I think it's more of a personnel thing, guys that are 280 are limited in coverage so it isn't very versatile, we may see it more now with the personnel we picked up.
Reply/Quote
Heard Ian Fitzsimmons from ESPN radio say he thinks Willis in the 3rd round was the biggest steal of the draft. And he's one of the few people at ESPN that actually seems to know his stuff.

Reply/Quote
I haven't been as happy with a draft for as long as I can remember. If Lawson and Willis pan out, we can really change the future of this team

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2017, 11:53 AM)Quantum Bengal Wrote: I haven't been as happy with a draft for as long as I can remember.  If Lawson and Willis pan out, we can really change the future of this team

If Joe Mixon stays healthy I have no doubt 3 years from now he will grade out as the biggest steal in the 2017 draft as heads explode of owners he took them off their boards. I see sucess for Joe Mixon and I see a community leader in the near future. I am convinced he started a new life 3 years ago and will move forward showing the world a young man simply made a very bad mistake, but people can make bad mistakes and go on to make up for them later.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Weren't Ogbuehi and Fisher both called steals in 2015?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote