Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
16 year olds voting?
(11-06-2015, 03:40 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: From what source do you get that Fox News viewers are the least informed? Besides your personal bias against Fox News and hatred of anything conservative? 

Probably not the link he JUST posted. Smack
(11-06-2015, 03:45 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Probably not the link he JUST posted. Smack

Hilarious

Using this board has convinced me that poor reading comprehension is a serious crisis in this country.
(11-06-2015, 03:08 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Sure. But out of all of them, Fox viewers are the least informed. If you want less low information voters, ban Fox viewers.

It's rampant in all who only take in network news. That's how progressives have gotten elected. By controlling the media
(11-06-2015, 02:43 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What if you just don't want any low information voters lol.

It's impossible to actually support any politician and not tacitly benefit from low information voters.  People seem to not count low information voters when they are voting for their side.  The only way to NOT vote for the same guy as a zillion low information voters is to not vote.

Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, Green Party....all propped up by dummies.  I was going to suggest writing in your own name but if you do that you're probably full of crap, as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-06-2015, 06:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's impossible to actually support any politician and not tacitly benefit from low information voters.  People seem to not count low information voters when they are voting for their side.  The only way to NOT vote for the same guy as a zillion low information voters is to not vote.

Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, Green Party....all propped up by dummies.  I was going to suggest writing in your own name but if you do that you're probably full of crap, as well.

I wish we had more than just 2 legitimate parties. I also wish network news in general was blown up in favor of new media. Which I think is closer to the stories people want to actually read. And it's easier for all viewpoints to be expressed. Fox is as guilty as CBS, ABC,NBC, CNN, etc. they push that progressive nonsense as well.

It would be different if there was a news program for all aspects of viewpoints . But they are all the same progressive stuff. Just slight differences.

We have gotten to the point that a traditional democrat view isn't even shown on tv anymore.
I know plenty of 16 year olds that are more informed than some 40 year olds.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(11-06-2015, 06:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I wish we had more than just 2 legitimate parties.  I also wish network news in general was blown up in favor of new media.   Which I think is closer to the stories people want to actually read.   And it's easier for all viewpoints to be expressed.    Fox is as guilty as CBS, ABC,NBC, CNN, etc.    they push that progressive nonsense as well.  

It would be different if there was a news program for all aspects of viewpoints .  But they are all the same progressive stuff.   Just slight differences.  

We have gotten to the point that a traditional democrat view isn't even shown on tv anymore.

Meh, call me a sell-out but if the guy I wanted got elected I wouldn't care if 99% of the people who voted for him did so because they thought it would rain ice cream every Tuesday if he got elected.  Do not the ends justify the means?!  I was surrounded by liberals during the 2004 election and neo-cons during the 2008 election and both of them said the same things.

If you had to take a test to vote we would have won.
I can't believe the country is this stupid.
etc. and so on and so forth

Not once have I heard someone say "Yay, we won!  Also, most of the people that voted are morons, but I agree with their choice!"

(11-06-2015, 07:26 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I know plenty of 16 year olds that are more informed than some 40 year olds.

Nickelodeon's "Kids Pick the President" has correctly predicted the eventual winner of every election since 1988, with the exception of 2004 where those dumb kids were sick of Bush a good 4 years before their parents were.
(11-06-2015, 09:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, call me a sell-out but if the guy I wanted got elected I wouldn't care if 99% of the people who voted for him did so because they thought it would rain ice cream every Tuesday if he got elected.  Do not the ends justify the means?!  I was surrounded by liberals during the 2004 election and neo-cons during the 2008 election and both of them said the same things.

If you had to take a test to vote we would have won.
I can't believe the country is this stupid.
etc. and so on and so forth

Not once have I heard someone say "Yay, we won!  Also, most of the people that voted are morons, but I agree with their choice!"

Elections will turn into a celebrity contest.
(11-06-2015, 09:49 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Elections will turn into a celebrity contest.

Will they?  Hmm, I see you just arrived from a universe where neither JFK nor Ronald Reagan existed.  Intesteting.
(11-06-2015, 07:26 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I know plenty of 16 year olds that are more informed than some 40 year olds.

Yes we know that 16 year olds are fully capable of making well thought out rational decisions not based on emotion or so they look cool.
(11-06-2015, 09:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Will they?  Hmm, I see you just arrived from a universe where neither JFK nor Ronald Reagan existed.  Intesteting.

They at least pretended to be politicians.
(11-06-2015, 09:51 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yes we know that 16 year olds are fully capable of making well thought out rational decisions not based on emotion or so they look cool.

I had the same thought when a bunch of 18 year olds joined the army so they could save the world from the Taliban, but I was called a cynic.
(11-06-2015, 09:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I had the same thought when a bunch of 18 year olds joined the army so they could save the world from the Taliban, but I was called a cynic.

At least they are given some training. I would love for voters to get some training before we sent them in ....
(11-06-2015, 09:51 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yes we know that 16 year olds are fully capable of making well thought out rational decisions not based on emotion or so they look cool.

No, but some are mature enough to vote, and the constitution doesn't disallow it.

I also am going to suggest that you get your head out of your ass when it comes to how teens act before your kid is one. 

(11-06-2015, 11:19 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: No, but some are mature enough to vote, and the constitution doesn't disallow it.

I also am going to suggest that you get your head out of your ass when it comes to how teens act before your kid is one. 

And I will suggest to you that you can start lecturing parents on how they raise their kids when you actually are accountable to your own child.

Just stick to Teaching them in school for the 90 minutes you see them ... 5 days a week.

You should know that teenagers are idiots and need guidance. they are a series of bad choices waiting to happen unless you stay on them.
(11-07-2015, 04:54 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote:  

You should know that teenagers are idiots and need guidance.   they are a series of bad choices waiting to happen unless you stay on them.

I rest my case. You've posted on here long enough for me to see how little you understand regarding politics and history. Let's get real for a second: I am actually certified to teach (and employed to do so) these topics in the state with the best schools in our country, so it's safe to say I can actually judge you on these things. I know kids who are much more intelligent than you. I know kids who are more intelligent than I am. Maybe they don't have the same content knowledge as me, but give them 4 years in college and they will.

This is why I laugh every time someone tries to write off all teenagers as "idiots" or "a series of bad decisions waiting to happen" or "not capable of making decisions not based on emotion" or always "trying to look cool". Some fall into this category. Those same ones will still be like this when they are 18. They're also not likely to vote. Some also are intelligent, rational young adults passionate about the world around them and their education. When I sit with them 90 minutes a day, 5 days a week, I see this. We get to talk about some deep shit in my classes, and what they respond with can be astounding.

So take it from someone who has taught hundreds of teenagers, you need to stop thinking of them all as dumb asses. It's usually the ones who are treated like that who end up being dumb asses. Treat them like young adults and they'll rise to your expectations.

(11-07-2015, 07:57 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I rest my case. You've posted on here long enough for me to see how little you understand regarding politics and history. Let's get real for a second: I am actually certified to teach (and employed to do so) these topics in the state with the best schools in our country, so it's safe to say I can actually judge you on these things. I know kids who are much more intelligent than you. I know kids who are more intelligent than I am. Maybe they don't have the same content knowledge as me, but give them 4 years in college and they will.

This is why I laugh every time someone tries to write off all teenagers as "idiots" or "a series of bad decisions waiting to happen" or "not capable of making decisions not based on emotion" or always "trying to look cool". Some fall into this category. Those same ones will still be like this when they are 18. They're also not likely to vote. Some also are intelligent, rational young adults passionate about the world around them and their education. When I sit with them 90 minutes a day, 5 days a week, I see this. We get to talk about some deep shit in my classes, and what they respond with can be astounding.

So take it from someone who has taught hundreds of teenagers, you need to stop thinking of them all as dumb asses. It's usually the ones who are treated like that who end up being dumb asses. Treat them like young adults and they'll rise to your expectations.

I have also taught many teenagers.   And yes rising to your expectations if you treat them like adults is a nice bumper sticker.   But the reality is that you need to give them narrow choices.  

Do you give adults narrow choices?  Or do you let adults decide for themselves?  The whole statement of "treat them like adults" sounds nice and it's a good platitude but if we treat them like adults we would give them unlimited choices and allow them to come and go as they please.    

who actually thinks that is a good thing for teenagers?
I also don't write them off. I am just not dumb enough to give them adult roles until they are ready.
(11-07-2015, 01:33 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I have also taught many teenagers.   And yes rising to your expectations if you treat them like adults is a nice bumper sticker.   But the reality is that you need to give them narrow choices.  

Do you give adults narrow choices?  Or do you let adults decide for themselves?  The whole statement of "treat them like adults" sounds nice and it's a good platitude but if we treat them like adults we would give them unlimited choices and allow them to come and go as they please.    

who actually thinks that is a good thing for teenagers?

I wasn't aware that treating them like they were adults meant not setting any boundaries as a parent or as a teacher. I assumed it meant giving them the same respect you give adults and expecting it back from them. 

Maybe if you extended some more respect to others, you might see that teenagers aren't a bunch of idiots who are just worried about looking cool. I could say the same thing about your opinions of other groups that you've shared here, but I really am trying to not bring up anything from before the reset. 

(11-07-2015, 01:49 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I wasn't aware that treating them like they were adults meant not setting any boundaries as a parent or as a teacher. I assumed it meant giving them the same respect you give adults and expecting it back from them. 

Maybe if you extended some more respect to others, you might see that teenagers aren't a bunch of idiots who are just worried about looking cool. I could say the same thing about your opinions of other groups that you've shared here, but I really am trying to not bring up anything from before the reset. 

Yes I don't extend any respect to kids or their families .... Haha I guess the fact that those same kids have still kept a relationship with me all these years later .... That must mean they felt disrespected all those years.... Right? Kids crave limitations and direction because they want the blueprint to becoming an adult.

Like I have repeatedly mentioned on the board . You need to be a strong adult to develop strong adults, its not always about giving or getting respect, it's about earning that respect by your actions. When kids feel they are entitled to anything.... Including respect.... They forget how to earn it and that's the most important.

As far as them being idiots..... Anytime you have someone who has never had to make decisions for themselves it's realistic to think that they will make mistakes repeatedly.... So to tie it back into the OP. Why do we want them to make these mistakes voting?

Are their some that could handle it..... Ofc there are .... But the vast majority have no business voting. Really you could make a case that most under 30 do not have enough life expierence .