Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
17 1st Half Points...3 2nd Half Points
(09-08-2019, 09:06 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Agree with you there.  My only guess was that the idea was to get closer to the goal line to at least make them think we MIGHT be able to call a run.  Even from that far back everyone knows its a pass.

That's a perfect spot to throw one to Eifert.
Reply/Quote
We couldn’t execute on there side of the field. The missed FG, the fumble by Dalton, and the play i think was the most critical was the missed throw to Boyd who slipped but the pass was off target on 3rd down which led to us getting stuffed on 4th. Our biggest concern is not having a running game but the passing offense is definitely innovative and fun
Who Dey!!!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:17 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Agreed. Was pleasantly surprised with the play of the LBs.

I think A LOT of it was not having Nickerson and Evans out there who are bad LB's. Going with 2 and then bringing Pratt even puts atleast average to above average guys out there.

Nickerson and Evans were bad.

The difference between bad and average in the NFL is pretty sizeable.

Really no one on defense looked bad. Yeah I know some people don't like Kirkpatrick, but he wasn't that bad.

How about Metcalf? Man I wanted us to draft him!
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How about Metcalf? Man I wanted us to draft him!

Only reason they would've drafted him was to replace Ross IMO. Ross was better than Metcalf today.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:25 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Only reason they would've drafted him was to replace Ross IMO. Ross was better than Metcalf today.

Ross was...minus the drops, but man Metcalf made some plays on contested balls.

AJ Green is what 31? Metcalf would have been good to draft and develop for 2-3 years when Green isn't still a great player.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ross was...minus the drops, but man Metcalf made some plays on contested balls.

AJ Green is what 31? Metcalf would have been good to draft and develop for 2-3 years when Green isn't still a great player.

It doesn't matter he would have been injured his 1st year here. Seems to be a theme. 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think A LOT of it was not having Nickerson and Evans out there who are bad LB's. Going with 2 and then bringing Pratt even puts atleast average to above average guys out there.

Nickerson and Evans were bad.

The difference between bad and average in the NFL is pretty sizeable.

Really no one on defense looked bad. Yeah I know some people don't like Kirkpatrick, but he wasn't that bad.

How about Metcalf? Man I wanted us to draft him!

Bates probably had the worst day on D, but it was really just a couple bad plays overall.

Reply/Quote
When it started raining I felt like that didn't favor us. We missed a FG and Dalton fumbled before it stopped. We werent going to run the ball against them and I think Taylor knew that. We put out a great effort though. Im encouraged with what I saw on both sides of the ball. Our defense looked like they will be feared the rest of the year. We were in their backfield all night, and Lou has apparently fixed the tackling issues somehow. Go figure. I saw a lot of solid tackling today. Saw a lot of fight in this team overall. The OL was a massive difference as well and that was without Glenn. They were far from perfect but leaps and bounds better than last season.

We are a better coached team this year and that much was obvious today. He is already getting more out of pretty much the same players. And we didnt have AJ Green.
Reply/Quote
William Jackson had a bad day and I'm getting concerned.
He got beat on a 40 yd plus pass play
Then he let another WR get a step on him and the WR luclily
Dropped it
He hasn't looked good in 2 years
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Bates probably had the worst day on D, but it was really just a couple bad plays overall.

Was it Bates or Williams who got baked on the Lockett TD?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:37 PM)McC Wrote: Was it Bates or Williams who got baked on the Lockett TD?

I thought it was Bates, but it was tough to tell on the TV replay.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:04 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Drawing conclusions from 1 data point (i.e. one game) seems like a reach. Its a new coach, and Seattle adjust too...
(Chargers, Vikings, Browns, Redskins, & Lions only scored once after halftime as well. And both the Chargers and Lions blew their lead and had to play OT. The Dolphins didn't even score in their second half.)

Hindsights 20/20
It's not one game. It's a history of stupid plays that cause a loss. The biggest bone headed play was Dalton's int in the red zone. Took at least three points off the board. 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 08:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: One of the things that Bengal teams in the past were criticized for was lack of halftime adjustments.

Interestingly, we only scored 3 points in the 2nd half.

There seemed to be some questionable calls. On a 4th and 1, with our pass game working...we did a run and got stuffed. That seemed to be a huge turning point in the game.

Our 2nd half drives resulted in - Fumble, Missed FG, TO on Downs, FG, Punt, Fumble

In scoring position on the Dalton fumble and Randy misses a FG. That is anywhere from another 6 to 10 points. Taylor cant go out there and execute for the guys either. Also with the turnover on downs, the play call on 3rd down was excellent, Boyd was so incredibly wide open I still cant figure out what went wrong with Dalton on that one.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:37 PM)McC Wrote: Was it Bates or Williams who got baked on the Lockett TD?

Believe it was Bates. Single high safety and he came down to help with a 10-15 yard crossing route.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 10:08 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Believe it was Bates. Single high safety and he came down to help with a 10-15 yard crossing route.

Dre had coverage, expecting help over the top. Dre has to be the goat in this loss. Stupid penalties, Whiffs on Seattle TD run, etc. 
Reply/Quote
Players just play during the first half of games. The pressure is on during the second half of close games. That’s when you need a confident and calming leader at QB. Dalton played a good game but often doesn’t have that killer instinct at crunch time.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:37 PM)impactplaya Wrote: William Jackson had a bad day and I'm getting concerned.
He got beat on a 40 yd plus pass play
Then he let another WR get a step on him and the WR luclily
Dropped it
He hasn't looked good in 2 years

That Lockett TD was the first time Lockett was thrown to all game. Was it WJIII who was shutting him down the rest of the game?
Reply/Quote
When your passing game is all you have and it starts absolutely pouring in the 3rd quarter, that's not gonna bode well for your offense. I'm encouraged by the play calling on offense and the defense kept us in the game for sure. I have to say this is the most optimistic I've been in a few seasons. Let's see what Taylor can put together for week 2.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 08:56 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Bengals 430 yards
Shehawks 230 yards

We really found a way to eff up a great performance

Eff up, huh?  Giving no credit to a Seahawks team thought to be a Super Bowl contender?  The Bengals gave them everything they could handle without AJ Green and without their starting LT.  I hope the eff up like that all season because they will finish 10-6 if they do.  
Reply/Quote
I'm encouraged but the lack of effectiveness in the second half is a concern. We had the element of surprise for the first half, was the second half Seattle adjusting? Teams now have some tape on us. If Seattle adjusted better second half then other teams will adjust too. It'll be interesting to see if we can adjust and continue to surprise.

I know the weather was a factor but that's generally going to get worse not better.
Reply/Quote