Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
17th game officially being added to the schedule
The Bengals were already projected to host the San Francisco 49ers for their 17th game of the 2021 season. This is how the matchups will be determined going forward

New scheduling procedures with respect to the 17th regular-season game will “be an interconference match-up based on divisional standings” from the previous campaign, and “on a rotating divisional basis” in a fashion similar to current scheduling standards that annually see one AFC division play an entire NFC division, and so on.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/3/21/22339053/nfl-expanding-to-17-game-schedule-per-report
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 09:15 AM)Trademark Wrote: The Bengals were already projected to host the San Francisco 49ers for their 17th game of the 2021 season. This is how the matchups will be determined going forward

New scheduling procedures with respect to the 17th regular-season game will “be an interconference match-up based on divisional standings” from the previous campaign, and “on a rotating divisional basis” in a fashion similar to current scheduling standards that annually see one AFC division play an entire NFC division, and so on.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/3/21/22339053/nfl-expanding-to-17-game-schedule-per-report

Wow

Any cap changes as a result?

I thought it would be 2022.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 09:29 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Wow

Any cap changes as a result?

I thought it would be 2022.

With the new media contracts announced, some are predicting the salary cap to almost double for 2022.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 09:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With the new media contracts announced, some are predicting the salary cap to almost double for 2022.

I am not sure about doubling, but it will go up. Hence, no since worrying about deals for Bates or Hubbard in 2021 (they won't want to extend now anyway) and no sense in carrying over extra money to 2022.

Spend it all for once, this is the year.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 09:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With the new media contracts announced, some are predicting the salary cap to almost double for 2022.

Speaking of new media contracts anyone notice the Thursday Night Football change?

Starting 2023 Thursday Night Football will be exclusively on Amazon Prime.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I’m confused. If the 17th game is inter conference, why would we play an NFC team like 49ers?

Reply/Quote
I suppose the extra game is the league's latest push toward "player safety". As for the cap next year, I heard Pat Kirwin on NFL Radio mention a figure in the high 300 million range.
Reply/Quote
The 17th game should be these stupid foreign games so nobody has an extra home game.

If not foreign games, put them in neutral spots that ARE NOT NFL cities, like Birmingham, Portland, Columbus, Oklahoma City etc.

You want to expand the brand? Then quit sticking in those dumbass London games back to back to back . . . There are a shitload of US Service men and women in Germany, which had good attendance during NFL Europe when it hosted 5 of the 6 teams when Roger Goodell killed it off. Maybe throw our Service men and women a game or two? I hate to make sense at a time like this.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
My problems with a 17 game season is the home/away impact, as well as the continued dilution of impact from the divisional games.

Prior to the last divisional re-alignment, a minimum of 8 games were divisional. I say minimum because our own AFC Central had 10 divisional games per team. This pretty much guaranteed that the team with the best divisional record was going to be the divisional winner. Currently teams only play 6 divisional games. You can literally go 6-0 in your division but not make the post season. The Raiders achieved that feat several years back. Now there is one more game to further dilute the importance of the divisional games. In my mind, the only way to correct that and have and expand the number of regular season games is to go to a 19 game schedule, not 17. The additional games would all be 3rd match up divisional games at a neutral site.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 10:38 AM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I suppose the extra game is the league's latest push toward "player safety".  As for the cap next year, I heard Pat Kirwin on NFL Radio mention a figure in the high 300 million range.

I hope they limit how much the cap can increase in a single year because that would be an insane jump which would mess up have to spend so much cap during I think a 3 year period. 

Like a 225 cap in 2022 and 260 in 2023 and so on.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 11:51 AM)Synric Wrote: I hope they limit how much the cap can increase in a single year because that would be an insane jump which would mess up have to spend so much cap during I think a 3 year period. 

Like a 225 cap in 2022 and 260 in 2023 and so on.

I'm with you there, but I'm certain the players' union will protest.
Reply/Quote
For me any negative that can be tossed out there is moot, I love the NFL so an extra game (week) of NFL games has me stoked.

Hopefully the trade off is 2 less preseason games which are useless for any season ticket holder paying same price to watch mostly guys trying to make a roster.

Reply/Quote
If I was a player I would be pissed at the union.How can you let the NFL make you work more + dock your pay at the same time? Damoris Smith is lucky to have a job man!

As for the 17th game I don't get why fans are so upset about it it's just another Sunday to watch football.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 09:15 AM)Trademark Wrote: The Bengals were already projected to host the San Francisco 49ers for their 17th game of the 2021 season. This is how the matchups will be determined going forward

That sucks...SF will be loaded this year.  
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 10:09 AM)Synric Wrote: Speaking of new media contracts anyone notice the Thursday Night Football change?

Starting 2023 Thursday Night Football will be exclusively on Amazon Prime.

I really hope the outrage makes this change to where NFL Network still carries the games.

Horrible, horrible decision by the NFL.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote

I saw somewhere that the new TV rights deal is a 108% increase total over the one's signed 10 years ago. (F'n nuts!)

Considering that TV revenue makes up well over 50% of all revenue for league I wouldn't be shocked at all of those predictions aren't all that far off.  If I remeber correctly, the league has to devote 48% of total revenue to player salaries.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 10:40 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The 17th game should be these stupid foreign games so nobody has an extra home game.

If not foreign games, put them in neutral spots that ARE NOT NFL cities, like Birmingham, Portland, Columbus, Oklahoma City etc.

You want to expand the brand? Then quit sticking in those dumbass London games back to back to back . . . There are a shitload of US Service men and women in Germany, which had good attendance during NFL Europe when it hosted 5 of the 6 teams when Roger Goodell killed it off. Maybe throw our Service men and women a game or two? I hate to make sense at a time like this.

I agree with everything you said. Nice post.

This is weird having a 17th game, might as well make it so neither team counts it as a home game.

Plus giving our Service men and women a game here and there would be awesome.

Goodell sucks. He has been trying to kill off the NFL it seems. No Fun League etc.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 02:59 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I saw somewhere that the new TV rights deal is a 108% increase total over the one's signed 10 years ago. (F'n nuts!)

Considering that TV revenue makes up well over 50% of all revenue for league I wouldn't be shocked at all of those predictions aren't all that far off.  If I remeber correctly, the league has to devote 48% of total revenue to player salaries.

I've heard various hosts on NFL's XM channel talking about well above $300M for the next salary cap. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 05:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I've heard various hosts on NFL's XM channel talking about well above $300M for the next salary cap. 

that probly wont be good for smaller teams like us.
Reply/Quote
I'm not a fan of divisional games 1 per season is enough, i want us to play different teams more!
Reply/Quote