Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
1st Step - Fire O-line Coach Paul Alexander just as they did Ken Zampese
Paul Alexander has been the Bengals O-line Coach since the mid 1990's.

He comes from the Bruce Coslett Coaching Tree as a Tight Ends Coach under Coslett with the Jets.

That's right. The Bruce Coslett Coaching Tree.

It is my understanding that Alexander is the Architect of the current Bengals Offensive line. That he holds a lot of influence in who gets Drafted at the O-line position and has held firm on his beliefs that certain players on the Roster would develop into fine Offensive Lineman. Constantly reassuring Mike Brown that the O-line will be fine with the hand picked players he believes in.

Then there is Alexander's Coaching itself. I saw Bengals O-lineman against the Steelers that were so unsure of who to block that they would touch a Steeler's upper side of the arm near the shoulder joint as they shot threw the Guard/center gap or Guard/Tackle gap while glancing to their other side unsure if they should be blocking someone on that side. Basically blocking no one. Not sure Paul Alexander is up to speed with the current NFL as he may still have one foot in the Coslett 1990's era.

Then there is the question of just how much or how little Paul Alexander will allow an Offensive Co-ordinator to influence how his O-line functions to support that Co-ordinator's Offense. The O-line seems to be his own Domain made up of players he plans to turn into over achievers. Make Chicken Salad out of Chicken Stool so to speak.

By the way, the Steelers have 9 time Pro Bowl Offensive Lineman & former Head Coach Mike Munchak as their Offensive Line Coach who played on some Great & well coached O-lines in his day. They invested Big Money into David Decastro, Maurkice Pouncey, Alejandro Villanueva while having others that they know can do the job. Coached well and know what to do.

The O-line Plan that Paul Alexander Rubber Stamped has proven to be a Failure. In part because of a lack of Thoroughbreds at these positions and equally due to a lack of Judgment on the part of Alexander in deciding which players in Draft's to pin his hopes on. I would also bet that an O-line Coach like Mike Munchak could get better results from the current Bengals Offensive lineman than Paul Alexander does if given some time to Coach them while at the same time Munchak would be telling his Organization that we need to add some Thoroughbreds to that O-line for Ultimate level success.

I wonder if Marvin has called for a different O-line Coach in past years only to be told that he is stuck with Alexander.

Accountability should have Alexander following Zampese out the door with others like Marvin himself in line to be booted next.

An Organizational over haul should begin now with Alexander and having highly competent Coaches in place is vital.

It starts at the Top of any Organization and the Rooney Family has it down pat for the Steelers.

Mike Brown may never have their skill set but he should begin purging the Organization with Alexander from this point as he recently did with Zampese.

Long way to go to get the Competence Level up inside this Organization.

Easy to see the Competence of certain other Organizations.

The players are simply caught up in the Web of whichever type of Organizational Leadership their specific team has since they are picked by that team and Coached by that team.

Each Organization having a Ceiling of sorts going in based on their Leadership & Competence.
Reply/Quote
He'll be here till the cows come home. Then he'll eat the cows.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Piano Man is going NOWHERE.

Not that I disagree with a thing you said......

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 01:59 PM)Wyche Wrote: Piano Man is going NOWHERE.

Not that I disagree with a thing you said......

Not that I am a fan of Zampese but his Offense required "time" for down field passing and he was Hamstrung by Paul Alexander's O-line Plan.

I still want Zampese gone in spades but Alexander may be the biggest culprit of the two.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:07 PM)depthchart Wrote: Not that I am a fan of Zampese but his Offense required "time" for down field passing and he was Hamstrung by Paul Alexander's O-line Plan.

I still want Zampese gone in spades but Alexander may be the biggest culprit of the two.

Absolutely agree 110%.  I've been on the fire PA brigade for a few years now.  I was never a fan of Zampese either, but even I gave him a bit of a pass for 2016 with the shit show up front.  That said, he should have adjusted his philosophy based on the poor line play, like Lazor has.

Reply/Quote
You are right and almost everybody agrees except the higher ups unfortunately.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely agree 110%.  I've been on the fire PA brigade for a few years now.  I was never a fan of Zampese either, but even I gave him a bit of a pass for 2016 with the shit show up front.  That said, he should have adjusted his philosophy based on the poor line play, like Lazor has.

I thought they should have fired him when they hired Lewis. I was shocked to learn at the time that they didnt. It made no sense to keep him around while trying to change the losing culture at the same time.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely agree 110%.  I've been on the fire PA brigade for a few years now.  I was never a fan of Zampese either, but even I gave him a bit of a pass for 2016 with the shit show up front.  That said, he should have adjusted his philosophy based on the poor line play, like Lazor has.

Do you think Marvin has tried over the years to get his own hand picked O-line Coach or do you think he has backed Alexander all of these years ?
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:14 PM)depthchart Wrote: Do you think Marvin has tried over the years to get his own hand picked O-line Coach or do you think he has backed Alexander all of these years ?

I dont think lewis wpuld have been the coach here if he didnt agree to keep browns family friends
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:11 PM)Go Cards Wrote: You are right and almost everybody agrees except the higher ups unfortunately.

That is very telling of what the Future holds.

Alexander's Plan has blown up in his face yet he may get to create a New Plan going forward.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:16 PM)depthchart Wrote: That is very telling of what the Future holds.

Alexander's Plan has blown up in his face yet he may get to create a New Plan going forward.

I think the key word here is blow. Its something apparently Mike thinks Paul does very well...
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:13 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: I thought they should have fired him when they hired Lewis. I was shocked to learn at the time that they didnt. It made no sense to keep him around while trying to change the losing culture at the same time.

This has ALWAYS been my main gripe with him still being here.....unless he had been a second coming of Dante Scarnecchia.  How do you change a culture with a member of the lost decade STILL here?  You couple in the dismal performance he has had without a line chock full of high rounders, and piss poor running efficiency, and it becomes even more mind boggling.

(10-23-2017, 02:14 PM)depthchart Wrote: Do you think Marvin has tried over the years to get his own hand picked O-line Coach or do you think he has backed Alexander all of these years ?

I don't know.  I would HOPE he has tried.....and that Son of Paul has just kept his buddy that plays piano at his dinner parties around because he likes him and gets free entertainment (we all know how Mikey loves a bargain).....but I just don't know.  I mean, he HAS been promoted to assistant HC under Marv.

(10-23-2017, 02:15 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: I dont think lewis wpuld have been the coach here if he didnt agree to keep browns family friends

......then there's this.

Reply/Quote
Well, been saying this for a long time and if there is another coach who should be fired in season it is PA.

Not like these O-lineman cannot block, they can. Just takes someone to coach them up.

PA doesn't coach his OL up, he needs polished players to work with and even then he puts them in bad positions constantly.

RRL said he doesn't even pick the scheme, but i don't know. Either way we have seen what this dude has to offer.

Need someone fresh.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: This has ALWAYS been my main gripe with him still being here.....unless he had been a second coming of Dante Scarnecchia.  How do you change a culture with a member of the lost decade STILL here?  You couple in the dismal performance he has had without a line chock full of high rounders, and piss poor running efficiency, and it becomes even more mind boggling.

I don't know.  I would HOPE he has tried.....and that Son of Paul has just kept his buddy that plays piano at his dinner parties around because he likes him and gets free entertainment (we all know how Mikey loves a bargain).....but I just don't know.  I mean, he HAS been promoted to assistant HC under Marv.

......then there's this.

How not to run a business for dumbies
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:15 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: I dont think lewis wpuld have been the coach here if he didnt agree to keep browns family friends

If Alexander stays he will likely keep standing behind certain players that he has hand picked.

I read an Article a while back that Alexander was tired of fans questioning him about Bodine when he was say at the Barbershop or some place.

His Plan for next season will likely just be a Tweak of this year's O-line as he claims to see "progress" from certain players we have now.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:31 PM)depthchart Wrote: If Alexander stays he will likely keep standing behind certain players that he has hand picked.

I read an Article a while back that Alexander was tired of fans questioning him about Bodine when he was say at the Barbershop or some place.

His Plan for next season will likely just be a Tweak of this year's O-line as he claims to see "progress" from certain players we have now.

Complacency.

God this is frustrating. I remember the "witch hunting" comment from the fat bastid.

Fire this *****.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:31 PM)depthchart Wrote: If Alexander stays he will likely keep standing behind certain players that he has hand picked.

Yup, the infamous "witch hunt" comments.  Well Paul, four years in, and your boy is still around the bottom 1/6th of the league at C.

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yup, the infamous "witch hunt" comments.  Well Paul, four years in, and your boy is still around the bottom 1/6th of the league at C.

I didn't catch the "Witch Hunt" aspect of it.

So did he claim it was a "Witch Hunt" against Bodine or against himself or against the O-line as a whole back then ?
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:11 PM)Go Cards Wrote: You are right and almost everybody agrees except the higher ups unfortunately.

Paul has done the smartest thing a coach on the bengals could do: become close, personal friends with the Brown family. Mike is not going to fire one of his favorite butt buddies.

For all the praise I've seen Mike get for being a "great businessman", he's clearly guilty of having one of the worst qualities a businessman could have: close friendships with employees.

It's hard for Mike to see that since his entire family is involved with the team in some way. But for outsiders, non-relatives who have no direct ties to the family... There is no excuse for that. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 02:43 PM)depthchart Wrote: I didn't catch the "Witch Hunt" aspect of it.

So did he claim it was a "Witch Hunt" against Bodine or against himself or against the O-line as a whole back then ?

When people started questioning and calling out Bodine, he called it a "witch hunt", was incredulous about it, and dug his heels in.  So, he we are now......

Reply/Quote