Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Step to improvement is personal responsibility - Jordan Article
I'll go ahead and throw this out there. I have been very critical of Mike Jordan, ever since he was inserted into the starting lineup. And for very good reason, he wasn't ready. However, the team had little to no other options at the time, so it is what it was. Now, if the man is willing to put in the work to improve his game, and actually EARN a starting position on the OL? Then I will fully support him and give him the praise he's due.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 07:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'll go ahead and throw this out there.  I have been very critical of Mike Jordan, ever since he was inserted into the starting lineup.  And for very good reason, he wasn't ready.  However, the team had little to no other options at the time, so it is what it was.  Now, if the man is willing to put in the work to improve his game, and actually EARN a starting position on the OL?  Then I will fully support him and give him the praise he's due.

Same.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 04:19 PM)pally Wrote: Dehner's article in The Athletic is more detailed.  
He lost 30 pounds in the off season and then put back on 20 pounds of muscle with a goal to gain another 10 before training camp
He's been working weekly with Willie Anderson.  He talked about how technical Willie's lessons are (and reinforced by Frank Pollock) and strengthening his hip flexors and hamstrings because that is where the power comes from.

https://theathletic.com/2642752/2021/06/10/i-took-it-really-personal-bengals-guard-michael-jordan-motivated-to-move-past-his-darkest-moment/

I can't be the only one who read that headline and instantly thought....

[Image: EZFwpwSXsAAFnlc.jpg]

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 07:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, you're right.  They should have just gave the nod to any one of the All-Pros that they had sitting on the bench that day..  Rolleyes

well they didn't and we saw the outcome.  
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 06:15 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Ya he was bad, but WFT did have arguably one of the best Dlines last year. MJ is highly inconsistent and when he’s bad he’s really bad.

For sure.  But you just have to go to the next man when one guy gives up 5 hits before halftime. 
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 08:02 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: For sure.  But you just have to go to the next man when one guy gives up 5 hits before halftime. 

A week or two late in not getting Spain...

Who was the backup to Jordan? Adeniji or Redmond? Redmond might of held the guy and saved Burrow lol

I agree though, Jordan was having a terrible game and they should of benched him before the hit happened.

But I am done crying over spilt milk. Time to move on and I hope he becomes a great player for us.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 07:38 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I can't be the only one who read that headline and instantly thought....

[Image: EZFwpwSXsAAFnlc.jpg]

Nice lol  Cool
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 08:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: A week or two late in not getting Spain...

Who was the backup to Jordan? Adeniji or Redmond? Redmond might of held the guy and saved Burrow lol

I agree though, Jordan was having a terrible game and they should of benched him before the hit happened.

But I am done crying over spilt milk. Time to move on and I hope he becomes a great player for us.

Maybe Price.  Or put price at center and Trey at guard.  
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 09:03 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Maybe Price.  Or put price at center and Trey at guard.  

Yeah, because making two positions weaker at the same time is always a great strategy..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 10:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, because making two positions weaker at the same time is always a great strategy..

well, the way you prefer cost us our franchise qb his knee.  How would Trey over MJ make that position weaker?  Price is also a much better center than guard
Reply/Quote
I'm happy to have Reiff this year and that they addressed guard/tackle positions somewhat in the past couple drafts. We've got more depth and more potential on the line this year. We should be a little bit better. We've still got a ways to go as a unit and individually with these young players like MJ. I don't know if he's the answer, but he seems to have a good attitude and wants to get better. You absolutely need that to succeed in life at anything.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 10:46 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: well, the way you prefer cost us our franchise qb his knee.  How would Trey over MJ make that position weaker?  Price is also a much better center than guard

Before stepping up at Center, Trey Hopkins was terrible in spot action at Guard.  He beat out Billy Price for the Center position, so putting Hopkins at Guard and Price at Center effectively makes two positions weaker than just the one glaring hole you had before.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 12:47 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This guy could do a full 180, become a top 10 guard in this league and will still be talked about like he’s dog shit around here. I hope he does well as he is a monster of a man. I just know he has 0 chance of turning a lot of fans back into supporters.

I disagree, if he steps it up and shows it instead of talking then he will get support. Talk is cheap. Until he proves it on the field its all talk. Saying and doing are two different things.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 11:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Before stepping up at Center, Trey Hopkins was terrible in spot action at Guard.  He beat out Billy Price for the Center position, so putting Hopkins at Guard and Price at Center effectively makes two positions weaker than just the one glaring hole you had before.

He wasn't 5 hits on the QB then the 6th one bends his knee backwards bad. 
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 11:11 PM)GodFather Wrote: I disagree, if he steps it up and shows it instead of talking then he will get support. Talk is cheap. Until he proves it on the field its all talk. Saying and doing are two different things.
I believe Jordan said that also...
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 11:11 PM)GodFather Wrote: I disagree, if he steps it up and shows it instead of talking then he will get support. Talk is cheap. Until he proves it on the field its all talk. Saying and doing are two different things.

And to his credit, that’s exactly what he told Joe...

“First thing I did was I apologized to Joe,” Jordan said. “I told him he was not going to hear any more words from me. Just actions. I can tell him I’m going to do better. He doesn’t want to hear that. He wants to see it. I’ll prove what I’m saying and my convictions this upcoming season. Not a whole lot of talking; I’m just going to show it.”

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 12:13 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We all make mistakes in life, either you acknowledge them and try an fix them or ignore them. MJ takes 100% responsibility for play where Burrow was hurt and his poor play in 2020.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bengals-g-michael-jordan-on-play-that-got-joe-burrow-hurt-i-took-it-really-perso

I hope his actions lead to improvement, I get the feeling he is highly motivated to be better and that would be great.

Thoughts?

Saw this on twitter and I will say now what I said to the numerous fans hammering Jordan:  A lot of them seem to have forgotten how Whitworth struggled early in his career.  I remember thinking they need to get that trash off the field when he was getting his first shot at OT after starting at Guard.  He didn't start at OT until he was 28.  Good thing for the Bengals they didn't give up on him.

That being said, I think Whit had tons more talent and athleticism to work with compared to Jordan.  I hope Jordan can become a quality pro, and this is probably his last shot.  I wish him well.  
Reply/Quote
If Jordan turns it around and becomes a monster guard for us, then the past is the past. I'm not going to hold a season where he was pressed to start before he was really ready against him. Now, on the other hand if he does not improve I want him gone. He likely won't see the field for at least the 1st half of this upcoming season with Spain, XFS, and Jack the Giant in front of him. It'll probably take an injury for him to see the field.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 07:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'll go ahead and throw this out there.  I have been very critical of Mike Jordan, ever since he was inserted into the starting lineup.  And for very good reason, he wasn't ready.  However, the team had little to no other options at the time, so it is what it was.  Now, if the man is willing to put in the work to improve his game, and actually EARN a starting position on the OL?  Then I will fully support him and give him the praise he's due.

I agree, I just want the team to win and could care less the players used to do it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2021, 07:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same.

Same x2
Reply/Quote