Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Waiver add Position
It could be interesting the next few week as players are cut from other teams. Someone correct if I am wrong, but we get first dibs on most NFL players cut (may be some vets we don't).

If so, if we want them, we get them. In past we had other teams claim players ahead of us. We could do nothing about it.

Interested to see how it shakes out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
All players with less than 4 years of service go through waivers. Vested veterans become free agents. The Bengals have first option through the first 3 weeks of the season.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Leonard Fournette was just released. Shocked, but I guess the Jags are all in on getting Trevor Lawrence.'

I can see a scenario where he ends up on a one-year prove-it deal in pittsburgh. Ugh. Hope I'm wrong.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 11:20 AM)pally Wrote: All players with less than 4 years of service go through waivers.  Vested veterans become free agents.  The Bengals have first option through the first 3 weeks of the season.

So Fournette, we have option #1?

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 11:35 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So Fournette, we have option #1?

I am assuming we have already passed on Fournette and he has "cleared waivers" without any team claiming him.  So he is free to sign with any team.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 12:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am assuming we have already passed on Fournette and he has "cleared waivers" without any team claiming him.  So he is free to sign with any team.

Incorrect, the release does not become official until 4:00 PM EST today. Teams will then have 24 hours to place a claim on him, so any claim will be awarded tomorrow at 4:01 PM EST. After that Fournette will be free to then sign with whomever he likes. One thing to note on claiming him is that his contract is 4.6 for the year as it stands, but one would imagine signing him after clearing waivers could allow you to get him cheaper.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 12:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am assuming we have already passed on Fournette and he has "cleared waivers" without any team claiming him.  So he is free to sign with any team.

We may have passed (fine with me), but does give us advantage for first 3 weeks of season to improve our roster with 1st dibs on players with less than 4 years of experience that get cut. In past, I wonder how many guys we tried to add or want to add but knew we had no shot inthe waiver line.

Reply/Quote
Having first dibs on waiver claims is a huge benefit.

Having it the one year that there are no preseason games available to evaluate the guys getting released sucks.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 11:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Leonard Fournette was just released.  Shocked, but I guess the Jags are all in on getting Trevor Lawrence.'

I can see a scenario where he ends up on a one-year prove-it deal in pittsburgh.  Ugh.  Hope I'm wrong.

Not that shocked.

They had already declined his 5th year option and have been trying to void his contract guarantees (it's still unresolved).
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25651648/leonard-fournette-told-week-13-suspension-voids-guaranteed-money-contract

He also hasn't been great. Or even particularly good. (Can be debated how much of that is him, and how much of that is the Jags.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately we are at a disadvantage this year with our first claim position, with regard to unknown young players.

Since there has been no preseason, there is zero NFL film to evaluate for rookies released.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 12:20 PM)Au165 Wrote: Incorrect, the release does not become official until 4:00 PM EST today. Teams will then have 24 hours to place a claim on him, so any claim will be awarded tomorrow at 4:01 PM EST. After that Fournette will be free to then sign with whomever he likes. One thing to note on claiming him is that his contract is 4.6 for the year as it stands, but one would imagine signing him after clearing waivers could allow you to get him cheaper.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see if the Bengals make a play for him.  On one hand, you can try to get him cheaper if you pass on the waiver claim, but then you're competing with other teams.  If we claim him, he's ours outright.

I would personally claim him.  With a rookie QB and Joe going through his migraine issues, he would be a massive insurance policy if Mixon misses games and a great 1-2 punch if Joe's healthy.  He had over 1600 total yards last year, including 1100+ on the ground at 4.3 ypc, so it's not like he wasn't productive as a feature back.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 12:51 PM)Whatever Wrote: Yeah, it will be interesting to see if the Bengals make a play for him.  On one hand, you can try to get him cheaper if you pass on the waiver claim, but then you're competing with other teams.  If we claim him, he's ours outright.

I would personally claim him.  With a rookie QB and Joe going through his migraine issues, he would be a massive insurance policy if Mixon misses games and a great 1-2 punch if Joe's healthy.  He had over 1600 total yards last year, including 1100+ on the ground at 4.3 ypc, so it's not like he wasn't productive as a feature back.

To me, a claim would potentially signal some issue with Mixon that may be greater than we know. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 12:51 PM)Whatever Wrote: Yeah, it will be interesting to see if the Bengals make a play for him.  On one hand, you can try to get him cheaper if you pass on the waiver claim, but then you're competing with other teams.  If we claim him, he's ours outright.

Fournette has had personality issues the last few years. Are we sure we would want to let that negativity in the locker room? I hope we pass on him.

Reply/Quote
He'll land somewhere and be productive, most likely. Bad attitude means it likely won't be with the Bengals though. If the Bengals do claim him, he'd come in knowing he wasn't numero uno.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 01:03 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Fournette has had personality issues the last few years. Are we sure we would want to let that negativity in the locker room? I hope we pass on him.

It's hard to say.  Pretty much every high profile player has been trying to get out of Jax for the past few years.

Personally, I would rather deal with his personality for a year than risk going through the season with Gio as the feature back.
Reply/Quote
Pretty sweet having those first dibs. I think I would pass on Fournette unless we are not planning on retaining Mixon.

Fournette has a bad attitude and likes to get in fights all the time. Still remember when him and Manny Lawson went at it
when Manny was in Buffalo. That was a wild fight lol
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 12:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not that shocked.

They had already declined his 5th year option and have been trying to void his contract guarantees (it's still unresolved).
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25651648/leonard-fournette-told-week-13-suspension-voids-guaranteed-money-contract

He also hasn't been great. Or even particularly good. (Can be debated how much of that is him, and how much of that is the Jags.)

Not particularly good?  With next to no other weapons around him, and questionable QB play, he put up 1152 yards rushing at a 4.3 YPC clip, AND had 76 receptions for 522 yards.  He was their only offensive weapon, and he still produced like that playing in a division with two playoff defenses.  

You might say he isn't a good person, or teammate, and I have no idea about those things, but I would hardly say he wasn't particularly good.  
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 02:50 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not particularly good?  With next to no other weapons around him, and questionable QB play, he put up 1152 yards rushing at a 4.3 YPC clip, AND had 76 receptions for 522 yards.  He was their only offensive weapon, and he still produced like that playing in a division with two playoff defenses.  

You might say he isn't a good person, or teammate, and I have no idea about those things, but I would hardly say he wasn't particularly good.  

Definitely agree with this, he is a good player for sure.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2020, 12:20 PM)Au165 Wrote: Incorrect, the release does not become official until 4:00 PM EST today. Teams will then have 24 hours to place a claim on him, so any claim will be awarded tomorrow at 4:01 PM EST. After that Fournette will be free to then sign with whomever he likes. One thing to note on claiming him is that his contract is 4.6 for the year as it stands, but one would imagine signing him after clearing waivers could allow you to get him cheaper.

Great point

Reply/Quote
The only way we claim him and pay him 4.6 million is to trade Gio and his salary or cut Gio

A combo of Mixon or Fournette on the goal line would add value, a rested back who is big and strong. But, if he has attitude issues, we should pass

Reply/Quote