Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st half observations (v.Cowboys)
(08-19-2018, 01:59 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: We were playing a lot of zone last night and allowing easy completions. Virgil and Evans are athletic enough to cover TEs. Austin had a bad game last night.

I am not worried about Brown, his main job is to stop runs and keep completions in front of him. One plus is I think Vigil has shown tremendous improvement and so has Evans. I agree with you and if these 2 can play to their natural speed our LB's could go from weakness to strength even without Burfict first 4 games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 09:23 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, on that Dallas' TD drive, the DEs were getting good penetration.  It just happened that the officials seemed to turn their heads when the Dallas OL was getting grabby.  

Also, from that same drive, I was a bit disappointed in Billings.  On 3rd and 1, he had a great opportunity to make a stop, and force a FG attempt.  He ended up on the ground, blocked out of the play..

You know thats another point about last night. The refs seemed to let Dallas get away with some stuff. I saw holds on a few occasions that werent called also. Overall the DL is probably the least of my worries. I have a hunch Austin is holding a lot back anyway, and the players may be being a little careful to an extent so far. I know the younger guys are going all out, but Ive always figured the older vets are probably not giving it as much as they will be soon.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 02:01 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I did not like what I saw from P. Brown.   

Brown missed a tackle on a screen if he makes that I don't think you're saying that today. That was the only play that really stood out to me.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
They just keep trying to replace Gio and I have no idea why

We should have held on the Andre 350

Alex Redmond just look like an olineman

We need to get our 5 best olinemen out there and it might mean moving Glenn to RT

I've always said Dennard would be a great Safety and last night backed that up

Billings is a load

Some vets whose jobs are on the line: Bullock, MJ, Shaw, S. Williams
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 03:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They just keep trying to replace Gio and I have no idea why

We need to get our 5 best olinemen out there and it might mean moving Glenn to RT

Billings is a load

Williams is completely safe now.

Reply/Quote
One serious thing that stood out to me was that Rod Smith sounded like Boomhauer on King of the Hill when talking to Jaylon Smith.  Ninja

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 03:46 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: One serious thing that stood out to me was that Rod Smith sounded like Boomhauer on King of the Hill when talking to Jaylon Smith.  Ninja

I saw that interview and thought to myself, "This guy is college educated?".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Getting manhandled by Paul Alexander’s offensive line was an epic embarrassment. Teryl Austin better rent a house this year; I’m not confident he should buy a house here yet.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 03:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I saw that interview and thought to myself, "This guy is college educated?".

An athlete having a college degree in no way means they are college educated.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 09:23 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, on that Dallas' TD drive, the DEs were getting good penetration.  It just happened that the officials seemed to turn their heads when the Dallas OL was getting grabby.  

Also, from that same drive, I was a bit disappointed in Billings.  On 3rd and 1, he had a great opportunity to make a stop, and force a FG attempt.  He ended up on the ground, blocked out of the play..

Grabby is an interesting choice of words there.  On the TD play, Geno flat out got mauled in the open field...
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 05:01 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Grabby is an interesting choice of words there.  On the TD play, Geno flat out got mauled in the open field...

I was being polite, as I think it is bad form to "blame it on the refs".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 01:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have to agree with you.  I really expected to see more impact from Preston Brown, seeing how he cost $10M, and led the league in tackles.  I was disappointed to not see him stuffing runs in the hole, and he seemed late to the play in pass coverage.  

I really hate to say this, but has anybody actually watched Preston Browns tape?   I watched 6 games before I concluded it was wash, rinse, repeat.  The guy is Minter 2.0.   Not that good in coverage, not a run stopping thumper.   Though I would love to be wrong on this one, I think he is going to be a liabliity in this defense.
Reply/Quote
MJ and Ogbuehi both need released, neither are even kinda effective.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 06:48 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: I really hate to say this, but has anybody actually watched Preston Browns tape?   I watched 6 games before I concluded it was wash, rinse, repeat.  The guy is Minter 2.0.   Not that good in coverage, not a run stopping thumper.   Though I would love to be wrong on this one, I think he is going to be a liabliity in this defense.

Unfortunately, I did not watch any tape on Preston Brown.  I just saw "led the league in tackles", and assumed that he was well worth the 10M that the Bengals gave him.  

Now, from what I did watch in the game last night, what I saw seems agree with what you saw in his game film.  That is unfortunate.  Hopefully, once Burfict is back, he can at least be a decent Robin to Burfict's Batman.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
And Brown also looked good in the first game. This week the ENTIRE DEFENSE looked tentative and passive not just one player here and there. This happens every time we go into soft zones and more reactive defensive postures.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 03:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Williams is completely safe now.

Yeah, I posted that before I knew about Iloka being cut. I still wouldn't say he's completely safe, but he is safe-er
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 07:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: And Brown also looked good in the first game. This week the ENTIRE DEFENSE looked tentative and passive not just one player here and there. This happens every time we go into soft zones and more reactive defensive postures.

Somebody tell me our defensive scheme going into Saturday's game was to play wussified? I saw guys letting up on plays. It's almost like we are back to the last 2 years of being afraid to get beat deep. LBs dropping 12 yds and letting TEs and WRs run free underneath... Austin is a another Marvin puppet in my eyes.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 03:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They just keep trying to replace Gio and I have no idea why

Billings is a load

I said this months ago about thinking out of the box, putting Glenn at RT, Boling at LT and may the best 2 guards win starting positions. Having said that, I hope the Bengals explore it in preseason game number 3 (probably will not), but it also takes a line time to gel. We have potentially 4 new starters at LT, RT, Center and guard at a minimum. That is a lot of change so maybe we need to give them some time and trust Pollack is smarter than us and will get the right guys on the field in the right positions. Trust he knows the weaknesses and will design schemes and formations with Lazor to hide the weaknesses while they work through them trying to eliminate the weaknesses.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 12:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I said this months ago about thinking out of the box, putting Glenn at RT, Boling at LT and may the best 2 guards win starting positions. Having said that, I hope the Bengals explore it in preseason game number 3 (probably will not), but it also takes a line time to gel. We have potentially 4 new starters at LT, RT, Center and guard at a minimum. That is a lot of change so maybe we need to give them some time and trust Pollack is smarter than us and will get the right guys on the field in the right positions. Trust he knows the weaknesses and will design schemes and formations with Lazor to hide the weaknesses while they work through them trying to eliminate the weaknesses.
I'm just upset that they have never given the idea any attention.   I thought this was the year no one's job was safe and all solutions were on the table.

We've had no clear winner in the RG.  Really sorry the rookie blew his knew out day one as I think he might have been good.

No one has tried Westerman at RG.   I'd like to see what Glen could do on the right side with Boling at LT.

But as far as I can tell it never was worth even trying.

If you're blowing things up try to use the opportunity to try all your options.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 08:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The Good:  

Billings- Best he has looked so far.  Too bad the rest of the defense was asleep.  Haven't seen the game yet (I was out of town), but I'm hearing in critical plays he's still ending up on the ground.
Jordan Willis -Can we just stop with MJ getting any snaps at DE now?
Hubbard -Ditto
Uzomah-making the most of his chances.  
John Brown-  That kick might have been good from 65 yards.  Fat Randy could never do that, nor could he ever catch a returner.  I would go with this young guy.  He has tremendous upside.    I hope we don't make the mistake we made last year.  Granted there was some risk involved with the other kicker.   I don't see anything but a theoretical risk in this one. 

Cethan Carter-Nice effort.  Not going to bump anyone from the roster ahead of him, but a solid effort in his opportunities.
Not much else

The Bad:

Offensive line scheme with the #1s-  I thought we were not going to do the crappy, wussy slide protections and always try to look for a cut back lane that isn't there.  Everything was side to side.  Line up and drive!  This was a great opportunity to see what kind of push your offensive line could get and they reverted back to this sissy slides.  Wasted opportunity.  I have to watch again to single everyone out, but Ogbuehi was a turd.  That much is obvious.    This is what makes me believe we're not just holding back till the regular season.  You're right.  Wasted opportunity.  They need to just release Oguehi.

Pretty much everything with the #1s offense.  Not in sync.  Not good protection.  Ball security.  

The #1 defense:  Cowboys just go:  Pound for two yards, pound for two yards, short pass against zone giving up an easy 8 yard completion.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  Eventually you will break a ten yard run and eventually you will have a pass go more than 10 yards.  They didn't overthink it, they were patient and just pounded the Bengals who chose to stay in conservative mode and not contest anything short.  If the Bengals do this against the Colts, we will play right in to their hands.  This is what I wanted OUR offense to do, but they obviously didn't. Yes

MJ- Please go to the bench.  If you must be on the roster, come in as a DT on passing downs only.

John Ross- Flashed his amazing ability again, but tipped a ball straight up that should have been picked off and had another easy drop.  I'm sorry, but from what I've seen and now heard this guy's a bust.    Needs to get more consistency.  Glad he played a lot of snaps to try and build his opportunities.

Joe Mixon- Stop shaking your head and pouting if a hole isn't there.  It isn't always going to be like your reception in game 1.  Man up and check your attitude. Everyone but my daughter disagrees with me.  But I think this guy's overrated.  I think his vision is poor and he can't handle adversity.  He's a talented diva who's not as good as he thinks he is.   Hope I'm wrong.

Andy Dalton- Missed wide open targets for potentially big plays that could have gotten the offense going.  Maybe the week of rain affecting practice effected the timing?  Maybe they should read that thread about the Vikings new practice facility?  I just think Andy's a really good player when you give him time.   If you don't give him time he's a bad quarterback. 

Bill Lazor-  I would have sworn Zampese's playbook was being used.  Dumb, dumb, dumb....and sissy-like.  What happened to attacking? Haven't seen the game, but that's my impression so far.   Same old thing.   You have to practice the attacking thing.

Teryl Austin- What happened to defending every pass?  Looked like Bob Breshnahan's defense of "don't give up the big play". That's what I've seen so far too. Puke.

The Ugly:  Well, the bad was all pretty bad, but I didn't call it ugly because it was a preseason game.  But it was all pretty damn ugly.
Reply/Quote