Poll: Who do YOU think we should keep?
Randy Bullock
John Brown
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kick me!
Like Brown's leg and would love to save more money to get help elsewhere.

But it is too early to tell right now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 11:42 AM)SouthernStripes Wrote: Great point. 
I should have included this in my original post. If Brown finishes the preseason strong, i.e. makes EPs, FGs, deep KOs, would you go with him over Bullock?

If he does this then want Brown all the way.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 12:03 PM)sandwedge Wrote: In one of Haircuts articles, Brown did say he needed to work on the shorter kicks, they were harder than the longer ones, for him. I think we set sail with Bullock and if he starts to fall apart, give Brown a call to come kick. 

And how maddening was it to watch Nugent, who was at one time a very good kicker, bang the uprights time after time, costing us games? And yet we now seemingly are voting for going away from a solid kicker for an unknown because he can bang the ball.....
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 12:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And how maddening was it to watch Nugent, who was at one time a very good kicker, bang the uprights time after time, costing us games? And yet we now seemingly are voting for going away from a solid kicker for an unknown because he can bang the ball.....

Nugent was a known kicker when he started falling apart too...

Kickers are such a mysterious bunch. Doesn’t take much for a solid kicker to start spiraling.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 12:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nugent was a known kicker when he started falling apart too...

Kickers are such a mysterious bunch. Doesn’t take much for a solid kicker to start spiraling.

Best example would be Graham. 
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 12:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And how maddening was it to watch Nugent, who was at one time a very good kicker, bang the uprights time after time, costing us games? And yet we now seemingly are voting for going away from a solid kicker for an unknown because he can bang the ball.....

I learned my lesson last season. I wanted Elliot to make it, because his kicks were effortless and jumped of his foot. Steady Eddy Bullock just made his kicked, wasn't pretty but went thru the uprights. Now we have another upstart with a leg and I'm not falling for it.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 11:18 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, had to vote for Fat Randy. Jon Brown has only kicked like what? 3 times in NFL games and i still don't know
how the dude is with Extra Points, sure they sound easy but sometimes long ballers miss the easy ones.

Need to see more of Brown to honestly judge, just hoping we don't need to kick that many FG's this year and much
more extra points.

Exactly Nate,

I remember hearing announcers saying last season there were a crap ton of kickers who had missed 4,5,6, XP's and that can loom very large in tight games.

(08-21-2018, 11:42 AM)SouthernStripes Wrote: Great point. 
I should have included this in my original post. If Brown finishes the preseason strong, i.e. makes EPs, FGs, deep KOs, would you go with him over Bullock?

If he knocks it out of the park the rest of preseason I'd probably have to reevaluate.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 12:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nugent was a known kicker when he started falling apart too...

Yep,

He missed that kick hell I forget what game it was now ? Bad snap or something and he couldn't shake the yips off for quite awhile after.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 12:30 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Like Brown's leg and would love to save more money to get help elsewhere.

But it is too early to tell right now.

well it wont be much savings but if we needed a little extra its a spot we could squeeze
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 11:41 AM)Nately120 Wrote: 4 other NFL teams have cut Randy Bullock before.  How many of them look back and say "Gee, we woulda had a chance if only we'd have kept Bullock."  Honest question, maybe other teams do regret it.

Anyways, keep the guy who wins the competition...we've done that every time before.

That's what I say.

I realize that Brown is green (couldn't resist), but I haven't seen him flinch.   When you have someone who can steal a game by threading a 60+ kick you take a chance on him.  Waiting till the end of pre-season gives you a bigger sample and keeps both of them in Cincy.

But as long as he doesn't flinch, take a chance on the better talent.  Elliot failed because he had several misses.  If Brown doesn't and he's got the consistent distance, let him win the competition that isn't
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 03:21 PM)3wt Wrote: That's what I say.

I realize that Brown is green (couldn't resist), but I haven't seen him flinch.   When you have someone who can steal a game by threading a 60+ kick you take a chance on him.  Waiting till the end of pre-season gives you a bigger sample and keeps both of them in Cincy.

But as long as he doesn't flinch, take a chance on the better talent.  Elliot failed because he had several misses.  If Brown doesn't and he's got the consistent distance, let him win the competition that isn't

The last green kicker we let go missed the first XP of the Super Bowl...before making the next 2 XPs and all 3 FG attempts.  Well, I'm sure Bullock was sitting on his ass at home like a vet with nerves of steel while that was going on, anyways.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 03:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The last green kicker we let go missed the first XP of the Super Bowl...before making the next 2 XPs and all 3 FG attempts.  Well, I'm sure Bullock was sitting on his ass at home like a vet with nerves of steel while that was going on, anyways.

I disagree.  

He was standing over the sink scarfing down a plate of nachos, oblivious to the game.  That's our Randy  ThumbsUp
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I would hope they let Brown kick everything the rest of preseason and especially if it's a field goal match game with a large variety of kicks going on then decide from there. If he makes them all then we may just have the answer to Baltimore's super leg.. Imagine how many tight games we might have won if we had another Tucker in the wings..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 10:04 PM)grampahol Wrote: I would hope they let Brown kick everything the rest of preseason and especially if it's a field goal match game with a large variety of kicks going on then decide from there. If he makes them all then we may just have the answer to Baltimore's super leg.. Imagine how many tight games we might have won if we had another Tucker in the wings..  

Amazing how the Ravens went with a rookie kicker rather than rolling with Billy Cundiff for another year or 5.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 10:43 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I want Brown but I’m sure it’ll be Bullock.

I agree. Pessimists as we are that Marvin and Mike will make the "safe" move. Maybe they're right. But Brown is making us wonder if we should consider diverting from our regular pattern. They believe Bullock performed well enough to keep his job. But Brown is looking like he could become something very special. He came out of soccer as everyone knows. He's been learning how to kick a football for 3 years? If he can be consistent, he can compete with guys like Justin Tucker. Tucker's a freak, there's no doubt. But Brown's leg is stronger. Can he be as accurate? We don't know. Do you want to take that chance? I don't know. Don't you think it's worth considering? Yeah, it's a risk, but do you take it? 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 10:39 PM)Shady Wrote: I agree. Pessimists as we are that Marvin and Mike will make the "safe" move. Maybe they're right. But Brown is making us wonder if we should consider diverting from our regular pattern. They believe Bullock performed well enough to keep his job. But Brown is looking like he could become something very special. He came out of soccer as everyone knows. He's been learning how to kick a football for 3 years? If he can be consistent, he can compete with guys like Justin Tucker. Tucker's a freak, there's no doubt. But Brown's leg is stronger. Can he be as accurate? We don't know. Do you want to take that chance? I don't know. Don't you think it's worth considering? Yeah, it's a risk, but do you take it? 

The way I see it, the risk isn't going with a guy based on his upside or experience or so on.  Taking a risk would be going with the guy who lost the kicking competition, regardless of who it is.  When we kept Bullock over Elliot or Nugent over Brown it was the safe bet because we kept the guy who performed better in the competion.

A risk is saying that you want the guy who isn't superior based upon the evidence.  Think of Hue Jackson saying "Trust me, take Cody Kessler" and so on.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 01:21 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly Nate,

I remember hearing announcers saying last season there were a crap ton of kickers who had missed 4,5,6, XP's and that can loom very large in tight games.

If he knocks it out of the park the rest of preseason I'd probably have to reevaluate.

Some people might not think it but XP's are a big damn deal. As you said, Kickers lost a lot of games last year
missing the chip shots. That HAS to be automatic. I can forgive Kicker for missing a 50 yarder, but not an XP.

But yeah, if Brown shows he can consistently kick XP's, i would probably lean his way...
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 01:11 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Best example would be Graham. 

Yep, he got the yips and went from "Money Graham" to "Shank Graham" and never really recovered.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 10:39 PM)Shady Wrote: I agree. Pessimists as we are that Marvin and Mike will make the "safe" move. Maybe they're right. But Brown is making us wonder if we should consider diverting from our regular pattern. They believe Bullock performed well enough to keep his job. But Brown is looking like he could become something very special. He came out of soccer as everyone knows. He's been learning how to kick a football for 3 years? If he can be consistent, he can compete with guys like Justin Tucker. Tucker's a freak, there's no doubt. But Brown's leg is stronger. Can he be as accurate? We don't know. Do you want to take that chance? I don't know. Don't you think it's worth considering? Yeah, it's a risk, but do you take it? 

Apparently (by his own admission) he struggles more with the short kicks.   We already know what we have with Bullock.  I say throw him in there for every other kick the rest of pre-season.

If he fails he fails.  If he's 100% take the risk.  If he turns out to be anything approaching Tucker we have a steal.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 12:03 PM)sandwedge Wrote: In one of Haircuts articles, Brown did say he needed to work on the shorter kicks, they were harder than the longer ones, for him. I think we set sail with Bullock and if he starts to fall apart, give Brown a call to come kick. 

Good point most teams during a season if they cut a kicker they tend to pick a veteran up ie Nugent last year, brown will be available probably during season if needed
Reply/Quote