Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st time in long time this front office.....
Zac has to make playoffs to keep his job
Hes had total control over coaching staff a great deal of
Influence in the draft and alot of money allocated to
Free agency. No excuses for him
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 10:12 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Its been a very long time since this front office has been
Able to produce 2 back to back slam dunk draft classes.
The Bengals drafting at best since 2015 has been porous pre
Joe Burrow.
Going off the 1st 3 RDs dating to 2015 this roster has very little
To show for it. Too many busts like Price, Willis, Vigil, and the 2015 draft class have really helped cemented last place finishes.

No matter who the Bengals draft at 5 of the big 3 it will be
The 1st time in along time the Bengals potentially can hit
On 3 1st RD cornerstones ( provided Jonah can stay healthy)
Any kind of revisiting of the playoffs you can trace back potentially
To the 2020 2021 drafts.

Yes, once we started drafting like crap we went to crap. We had a great Draft last year with Smokin' Joe, Tee and Logan.

This Draft also has lots of players that fit what we need and we are in a great position. I think we take Sewell now and go 
for Pass Rushers and Playmakers later. Sewell looks like another sure pick after watching his Pro Day working with Pollack.

Also have to add this is the first time in a long time the FO actually went out and got some bigger players in FA the last few
years to compliment the Draft. I know some don't think so but adding Reiff, bringing back Spain, adding Hendrickson, LO 
helped the trenches on both sides and we are pretty stacked with Zone Corners now with Awuzie, Hilton, Allen as a FS and 
roamer who can play Corner too etc.

Have to also take into account Reader, Waynes being healthy this year. Getting these guys back is big.

The coaching though is still my biggest question round here. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 07:29 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You consider Ogbuehi a productive starter?

Forgot about him Jesus Christ

He was so trash I totally forgot his existence
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Neither does 7 or 8.

I think the amount of money the front office has spent on free agents the last 2 years puts Taylor on a very short leash.

Yep. +.500 at least has to be the goal in year 3. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 01:32 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yep. +.500 at least has to be the goal in year 3. 

Man, that's still a crazy low bar.  .500 after 3 years??  This team needs to be in the playoffs this year or I'd show Zac the door.  It just does not (or should not) take 4-6 years to get a team on track.  Contracts don't support that length of time to rebuild.  It needs to be 2-3 years.  And we're already in year 3.  We're all obviously patient (or crazy) as Bengals fan, but shoot, anyone thinking .500 this year is acceptable is giving Taylor one hell of a long leash in today's NFL. 
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 12:36 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Man, that's still a crazy low bar.  .500 after 3 years??  This team needs to be in the playoffs this year or I'd show Zac the door.  It just does not (or should not) take 4-6 years to get a team on track.  Contracts don't support that length of time to rebuild.  It needs to be 2-3 years.  And we're already in year 3.  We're all obviously patient (or crazy) as Bengals fan, but shoot, anyone thinking .500 this year is acceptable is giving Taylor one hell of a long leash in today's NFL. 

MHG, I guess my biggest fear for this football team is that the front office even if he goes 7-10 or 8-9 will say we're improving.

The front office knew when they hired Zac Taylor he was very green.  They knew he'd take time to implement his style of play and players.  

However, I have a feeling this organization will say "listen we improved this year, Zac is on the right track, and we truly believe the playoffs is right around the corner.  If we fire the coaching staff now then we're starting all over.  We still have faith in Zac's plan". 

I guess if we're 7-10/8-9 and they fire Taylor and his staff it'll prove to me it's actually a New Dey in the Nati' mgmt.   
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 12:59 PM)TJ528 Wrote: I guess if we're 7-10/8-9 and they fire Taylor and his staff it'll prove to me it's actually a New Dey in the Nati' mgmt.   

The last two years of free agency has already proven that.

And the fact that the front office has opened the purse strings will put Taylor on a short leash.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 01:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, once we started drafting like crap we went to crap. We had a great Draft last year with Smokin' Joe, Tee and Logan.

This Draft also has lots of players that fit what we need and we are in a great position. I think we take Sewell now and go 
for Pass Rushers and Playmakers later. Sewell looks like another sure pick after watching his Pro Day working with Pollack.

Also have to add this is the first time in a long time the FO actually went out and got some bigger players in FA the last few
years to compliment the Draft. I know some don't think so but adding Reiff, bringing back Spain, adding Hendrickson, LO 
helped the trenches on both sides and we are pretty stacked with Zone Corners now with Awuzie, Hilton, Allen as a FS and 

Have to also take into account Reader, Waynes being healthy this year. Getting these guys back is big.

I would say a typical "solid" draft is getting a couple key starters and maybe a rotational piece.
A "good" draft is 3 key starters.
A "great" draft is 4+ key starters.

If the Bengals can come away from this draft getting a good WR, OL, and then one other guy, that's a win.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 02:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I would say a typical "solid" draft is getting a couple key starters and maybe a rotational piece.

If the Bengals can come away from this draft getting a good WR, OL, and then one other guy, that's a win.

This.  And right now I am hoping that third player is a edge/pass rusher.  Even if it is a rotational guy who is only effective on passing downs that would be a big benefit.  Those are the type of guys you might find n the 3rd round or later.

When fans talk about plugging 4 holes in the starting lineup with the first four pick in the draft that is just not realistic (unless we have multiple first/second round picks).
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure making the playoffs is THE benchmark for Zac considering at least two other teams in our division are going to be very competitive if not all 4.. We could conceivably win 11-12 games of 17 and still miss. 11-12 wins is still pretty decent even if they don't make the playoffs..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 09:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But the best teams never miss on 3 of 4 like we did with Ogbuehi, Price, and Ross from '15 through '18.

Not to mention, Tyler Kroft, Paul Dawson, Jake Fisher, Nick Vigil, Jordan Wills, and Malik Jefferson were all taken in the first three rounds those years. None of them start anywhere. Dawson and Fisher are completely out of the league. And Jefferson hasn't found a team after been released. You just can't miss on rounds 1 thru 3 that often and have success. And yet, Duke Tobin still has a job. 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2021, 01:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, once we started drafting like crap we went to crap. We had a great Draft last year with Smokin' Joe, Tee and Logan.

We are talking about alot of issues, draft strategies etc.....But the key to this whole season is how well Burrow comes back and WHEN?. 
I am hoping he can maintain that elusiveness he showed last season which was  a pleasant surprise in addition to hoping he can still fine tune that deep ball.  I'm picturing him having to wear that big brace that Palmer had to wear after his injury.  
Reply/Quote
I never thought I’d be talking Bengals Football with Ezra Pound, but my life is full of happy surprises.

I don’t know what you’re trying to say here, imagist prose and aesthetic writing style aside. Are we doing end zone celebrations over the 2 prior drafts? Trading up for ryanfinley? Michael Jordan?

2020 was one of our better classes in a while. 2019 was a complete fart. And we have no idea what they are planning in 2021.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2021, 02:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I would say a typical "solid" draft is getting a couple key starters and maybe a rotational piece.

Well we got 3 key starters and Adeniji I also think was a great pick. We will see if he can push for a starting spot.

To get Burrow, Higgins and Logan Wilson in the same Draft along with ADG and Adeniji is pretty frickin' awesome IMO.

(04-10-2021, 11:41 AM)kalibengal Wrote: We are talking about alot of issues, draft strategies etc.....But the key to this whole season is how well Burrow comes back and WHEN?. 
I am hoping he can maintain that elusiveness he showed last season which was  a pleasant surprise in addition to hoping he can still fine tune that deep ball.  I'm picturing him having to wear that big brace that Palmer had to wear after his injury.  

Have seen vids of him walking and he looks great all things considered. Not even a limp. Crazy after what happened.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 02:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well we got 3 key starters and Adeniji I also think was a great pick. We will see if he can push for a starting spot.

To get Burrow, Higgins and Logan Wilson in the same Draft along with ADG and Adeniji is pretty frickin' awesome IMO.

Have seen vids of him walking and he looks great all things considered. Not even a limp. Crazy after what happened.

Who was the 3rd? Wilson?
If so, I haven't seen enough from him to anoint him a good starter yet.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 02:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Who was the 3rd? Wilson?
If so, I haven't seen enough from him to anoint him a good starter yet.

Yes, he was our best Linebacker last year IMO. Got the most interceptions and was always around the ball.

I can say he is a good starter and will be even better his sophomore season barring injuries.

Surprised he was as good as he was coming from Wyoming, such a small school. But he is a solid tackler and good in coverage 
already. Has great instincts and knows how to wrap up while taking good angles to the ball carrier. ADG might have the higher 
upside but Logan Wilson is just solid all the way around and a big reason why we didn't bring back Bynes in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 02:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, he was our best Linebacker last year IMO. Got the most interceptions and was always around the ball.

I can say he is a good starter and will be even better his sophomore season barring injuries.

Surprised he was as good as he was coming from Wyoming, such a small school. But he is a solid tackler and good in coverage 
already. Has great instincts and knows how to wrap up while taking good angles to the ball carrier. ADG might have the higher 
upside but Logan Wilson is just solid all the way around and a big reason why we didn't bring back Bynes in my opinion.

Wilson only played 343 defensive snaps (32%), starting just two games.
He only had 33 tackles.

There were things I liked from what I saw of him, but he didn't play enough snaps for me to consider him a "good starter" yet.
Perhaps he gets there this year, but he's not played enough to earn that label as of April 2021.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2021, 02:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Wilson only played 343 defensive snaps (32%), starting just two games.
He only had 33 tackles.

There were things I liked from what I saw of him, but he didn't play enough snaps for me to consider him a "good starter" yet.
Perhaps he gets there this year, but he's not played enough to earn that label as of April 2021.

Yeah, he didn't play as much as what I would of liked. Every time I saw him on the field I saw solid play at the very least.

ADG was just caught off guard by the speed of the game on the other hand. Hope to see both improve big time but Wilson 
didn't seem to be caught off guard like ADG did.
Reply/Quote

I’ll second this. You get 4 productive players in a draft and that’s all you can ask for. If I’d change anything I’d maybe bring it down to 2 starters being a good draft, and leave 4 at the mark for a great draft.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2021, 10:08 AM)Housh Wrote: I’ll second this. You get 4 productive players in a draft and that’s all you can ask for. If I’d change anything I’d maybe bring it down to 2 starters being a good draft, and leave 4 at the mark for a great draft.

Also it is completely relative to the quality of the team.  3 starters for a loaded team is a phenomenal draft, while 3 starters for a team picking in the top 5 is propably just a solid draft due to the inherent weaknesses of the team.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote