Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
2-3 Million left in Cap Space?
per

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Dre-plays-on-with-Bengals-Whats-next/a87a5caf-4f9d-4764-a06e-bc76b7801261

discussion

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/3/10/14877174/bengals-2-3-million-left-spend-free-agency

I can't understand how the front office is coming up with these numbers.  I'm not seeing the details on the Kirkpatrick deal yet, but even if we did eat 15 million in a cap hit for this year this still only accounts for 15 mil of 38-42 million of space they had.  I can understand if they want to allocate that money to Burfict and Eifert, but why not extend them now and eat as much cap this year so next year you can clear some of it off.

One thing the bengals really need to improve upon is learning when to move on from players to keep their stars.  Michael Johnson, Peko, Rey Mal all should be gone by this point.  Pacman is debatable, but I think its clear at this point we need that money and not an aging CB with off the field issues.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 10:30 AM)Okeana Wrote: per

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Dre-plays-on-with-Bengals-Whats-next/a87a5caf-4f9d-4764-a06e-bc76b7801261

discussion

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/3/10/14877174/bengals-2-3-million-left-spend-free-agency

I can't understand how the front office is coming up with these numbers.  I'm not seeing the details on the Kirkpatrick deal yet, but even if we did eat 15 million in a cap hit for this year this still only accounts for 15 mil of 38-42 million of space they had.  I can understand if they want to allocate that money to Burfict and Eifert, but why not extend them now and eat as much cap this year so next year you can clear some of it off.

One thing the bengals really need to improve upon is learning when to move on from players to keep their stars.  Michael Johnson, Peko, Rey Mal all should be gone by this point.  Pacman is debatable, but I think its clear at this point we need that money and not an aging CB with off the field issues.

Dre is probably getting 10 to 11 million and Lafell is getting 4 to 5 million....so there is the 15 million they said they were going to spend...they will spend another 5 million or so and say hey look we stepped up and spent more than we were going too...which is the BS they do every year. They give out an extremely low number compared to what they truly have, then they spend a little more than that extremely low number but still nowhere near what they could spend, they tell us they need triple what they truly need to sign draft picks, and then they say they need rollover money that never rolls over to anybody for the next (see Whit and Zeitler this year). It is all about saving money for Mike Brown and Millions and Millions go right back into his pocket. He reaches the cap floor by spending a certain amount of money by signing the guys who sell the Jerseys like AJ, Dalton, and Atkins which is also more money in his pocket. It is his BUSINESS. He doesn't care about winning, he doesn't care about truly competing when the team was so close to being a real Super Bowl contender. He has essentially blown a big portion of that team up in two years and for what? So he has about 10 million extra dollars each season that goes in his pocket?
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote

discussion

All true, and Pacman should be gone too.  Now that you've decided to "bank on Ced", Drek should be gone too to save for the future.  I mean you're rolling with a HUGE ? at LT, and a big one at RG to save money (that was supposedly allocated in rollover money for the RG years ago, BTW), why not go with ? in the secondary too and save that coin to not extend Burfict and Eifert?  

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Eh, I interpret it a bit differently. he did add that cuts may be necessary if the Bengals need to spend more than the 2-3 mil remaining. I say fine. Start with Maualuga and Jones and sign a serviceable vet tackle or guard not named Winston. God love Eric Winston, but I'm not sure he could withstand a full season of NFL football at this point if needed.

I think the injury histories and sheer lack of numbers at the position right now dictate this sort of move. It's delusional to think that any player signed or drafted will replace Whitworth's talent and dependability, but they need to get somebody regardless. A drop-off is inevitable, but you don't want this already bad scenario to turn into the great linebacker massacre of 07 where they had to play guys out of position (Ndukwe, Geathers) just to field a position group. Sounds ridiculous to have to say this about a pro front office, but it's happened before here. That's where this team finds itself, sadly.
Reply/Quote
Players see this, and they see Pit, Bal, Pats spend (Who exactly are we modeling ourselves after again) with half the cap space we have. Sends bad message.

This is why they have been abandoning ship the last two years. Hobs and Mike Brown are tone deaf trying to sell us on this bs and talking about 2018 comp picks already as we watch a 6 win team turn into a 3 win team.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

discussion

Whatever the team doesn't spend of the salary cap or rollover to next year stays with the owner. Simple!

There's no sign that they want to extend Burfict, Eifert, Bodine, Hill or Dennard, all of whom are free agents after 2017. They do have a 5th year option on Dennard that they could exercise. More talent will depart for greener pastures next year.

I, for one, expect the purge to continue the next couple of years.

Both Atkins and Dunlap are free agents after the 2018 season. Mikey will low ball them both or simply not even bother to offer them a contract.

I actually don't see Marvin Lewis completing the season. Why punish yourself?

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 10:50 AM)samhain Wrote: Eh, I interpret it a bit differently.  he did add that cuts may be necessary if the Bengals need to spend more than the 2-3 mil remaining.  I say fine.  Start with Maualuga and Jones and sign a serviceable vet tackle or guard not named Winston.  God love Eric Winston, but I'm not sure he could withstand a full season of NFL football at this point if needed.  

I think the injury histories and sheer lack of numbers at the position right now dictate this sort of move.  It's delusional to think that any player signed or drafted will replace Whitworth's talent and dependability, but they need to get somebody regardless.  A drop-off is inevitable, but you don't want this already bad scenario to turn into the great linebacker massacre of 07 where they had to play guys out of position (Ndukwe, Geathers) just to field a position group.  Sounds ridiculous to have to say this about a pro front office, but it's happened before here.  That's where this team finds itself, sadly.

Yep, and how many times have we had to say this over the last 26 years?  The last few years were an anomaly, these pukes won't fool me again. Put me firmly in the "haters" camp.

Reply/Quote
I understand we are a small market team and we will never be able to spend like one of the premier teams, but even after draft contracts about 15 million is still clear before cuts.

Cuts :

Hill 1.2 million
Sims 1 million
Pacman 6.3 million
Rey Mal 3.6 million
Michael Johnson 2.6 million

Total space cleared 14.7 million

leaving a total cap after rookie contracts somewhere in the 30 million range.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 11:03 AM)Okeana Wrote: I understand we are a small market team and we will never be able to spend like one of the premier teams, but even after draft contracts about 15 million is still clear before cuts.  

Cuts :

Hill  1.2 million
Sims 1 million
Pacman 6.3 million
Rey Mal 3.6 million

Why can't we spend that way?  There is revenue sharing, and a salary cap.  Make no mistake, the salary FLOOR was implemented for one guy.......and that one guy is Son of Paul.  They have ZERO excuse, they're not the Reds.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 10:58 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, and how many times have we had to say this over the last 26 years?  The last few years were an anomaly, these pukes won't fool me again.  Put me firmly in the "haters" camp.

Same here, dude.  I can't wait for them to start justifying the shit show on offense through Hobson and the beat mouthpieces when they do what we all expect them to this season.  We'll hear how they did their best, but "stuck to their core principles" and how dumb luck and unintended consequence made them victims of circumstance yet again.  Can you imagine having luck as bad as theirs?  LOL.  Hobs will ponder how on earth 2 so highly regarded prospects like Ced and Fish could be so disappointing like it's a goddamned mystery.  Meanwhile, just as with Nugent and Ogbuehi last year, just about everyone saw it coming a mile away.  I suspect even the staff and front office see it coming, but don't care enough to do something about it.  They'd rather feign helplesseness and rationalize their tactical errors that led them here.

I am fully expecting the remaining decent players to start being vocal about their frustrations sooner than later.  This is not a disciplined football team due to a weak, lame-duck coach.  Mouths will run and discontent will spread.  
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 11:03 AM)Okeana Wrote: I understand we are a small market team and we will never be able to spend like one of the premier teams, but even after draft contracts about 15 million is still clear before cuts.  

Cuts :

Hill  1.2 million
Sims 1 million
Pacman 6.3 million
Rey Mal 3.6 million

You could get 2 serviceable vets for the o-line for less than that total sum.
Reply/Quote
a big f**k you to Mike Brown.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
This is complete insanity, I feel sorry for anyone who buys into their bs year after year... I can't help but feel negative about this team now, I really really want to be positive but it's just impossible when their method comes across to me like fixing a leaky (now cracked) foundation with a band-aid, that foundation we once had seems to be on the verge of crumbling unless we hit on an absurd amount of our draft picks. Lose the two best players on arguably your weakest unit from the year prior and expect to replace them with two unproven players who absolutely must perform in order for the offense to have any success is madness. I'm preparing for the next year or two to be a complete waste of what talent is left on this roster and nothing the team has done to this point has helped me to think otherwise.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 11:13 AM)samhain Wrote: You could get 2 serviceable vets for the o-line for less than that total sum.

its not just about the O Line.  just take this example

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/zach-brown-9862/market-value/

Just by clearing rey off the books you could get Zach Brown for a similar price for a much better player.

This is about improving your team instead of just being to lazy and sticking with the guy you know.  

Reply/Quote

discussion

I was just wondering this myself. In years past, Hobson would spout of a list of reasons why the spending was what it was. This year, it's been pretty silent.
If it was for extensions, Hobson would probably have said it.
I'm really wondering if they don't have something planned to trade up to acquire extra early-round picks. Having a lot of early round picks would theoretically gobble up more of the cap space.
Or potentially the McCarron for Richardson trade rumor, which would eat up $7 million this year ($8 mill Richardson contract - $750k McCarron contract).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 11:11 AM)samhain Wrote: Same here, dude.  I can't wait for them to start justifying the shit show on offense through Hobson and the beat mouthpieces when they do what we all expect them to this season.  We'll hear how they did their best, but "stuck to their core principles" and how dumb luck and unintended consequence made them victims of circumstance yet again.  Can you imagine having luck as bad as theirs?  LOL.  Hobs will ponder how on earth 2 so highly regarded prospects like Ced and Fish could be so disappointing like it's a goddamned mystery.  Meanwhile, just as with Nugent and Ogbuehi last year, just about everyone saw it coming a mile away.  I suspect even the staff and front office see it coming, but don't care enough to do something about it.  They'd rather feign helplesseness and rationalize their tactical errors that led them here.

I am fully expecting the remaining decent players to start being vocal about their frustrations sooner than later.  This is not a disciplined football team due to a weak, lame-duck coach.  Mouths will run and discontent will spread.  

Rinse, lather, rinse, repeat.  It's getting SO old.  Good point about the "bad luck" of the Bungals.  NO ONE, not even Bad Luck Schleprock, has luck that bad.

[Image: badluck1.jpg]

I look for vocal displays this year as well.  This has all the makings of putting the Palmer fiasco to shame.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 11:15 AM)milksheikh Wrote: a big f**k you to Mike Brown.

I would say fans shouldn't go to games to boycott the team, but that does little to nothing. Most of the money is made via TV, and the team does revenue sharing. If there wasn't revenue sharing, you'd think it would put more pressure on the Bengals to please the fans.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
What they should do is require that all cap space is used by a team before Revenue sharing kicks in.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 10:52 AM)jj22 Wrote: Players see this, and they see Pit, Bal, Pats spend (Who exactly are we modeling ourselves after again) with half the cap space we have. Sends bad message.

At this point I am pretty sure that there was a misquote involved.  I bet Mike said he is modeling the Begals on "Kraft"and the misquote ran with it thinking he meant Kraft's Patriots.  Just look at it. What does this team resemble more? A multi time superbowl champion or a company that produces minimum quality "food" and maximizes company profits?

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
You better be careful. If you talk about what the team says about their cap space, people start saying it's bullshit and you're an idiot for listening. At least that's been my experience these last couple of days.

I'm with you and I agree. I've ran the numbers many times and to get to the number the team is using, they're not using what they rolled over from last year and they're adding another $6m or so to it.
Reply/Quote