Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
2-3 Million left in Cap Space?
As to the notion that they don't want to pay anyone unless it's 'team friendly' I have no problem with this. 
Just a show of hands, how many people when shopping for a house, car or anything really demand that they pay only top dollar? How many of you walk up to the salesman and say, 'Enough with giving me a bargain. I want to overpay for everything I buy! '
Personally I've never seen this happen and I suspect none of you have nor will you any time soon. 
Some people seem to look at a teams budget like their own personal piggy bank and they're shopping for chewing gum where prices are all set in stone. Player salaries vary greatly from player to player depending on experience, health, talent, incentives and so on. We really don't have access to every line of every contract every player signs. They go into every season never knowing if any player at any position will play 1 snap or every snap. Just because player x has played 7 seasons and has never had a serious injury doesn't mean there's a guarantee that he won't break his leg on the first play of the season. We don't know if they're going to have an injury free season or if 3/4 of the team is going to be on injured reserve after the first game. 
So by hanging on as much money as possible within certain parameters it makes perfect sense. Overpaying for question marks doesn't make sense. 
/rant
I suspect that even NE is eventually run up against the injury bug so bad they're going to finish in last place. In fact I hope they do it in spades and it goes on for several years.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 10:42 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not sure they will. They've brought in two veteran LBs so clearly they need one to replace Dansby. But I think they'll draft just one regardless of getting a veteran LB or not.

They have six LB spots. Burfict, Vigil, and VRey are guaranteed.
The other three right now are Maualuga, Flowers, and Dawson.

The Bengals likely will draft one LB that will compete to replace one of the latter three on the roster.
If a veteran is signed, I think Maualuga is cut and then a single rookie draft pick will compete with Flowers and Dawson. The best two get roster spots.

Your argument is dead on, but I STILL think they will.  One in a fairly early round and one later.  They have to either finally get something out of Flowers and Dawson and Maualuga is old and slow.  Time to start turning the roster of the guys that never had it and never will. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 11:29 AM)grampahol Wrote: As to the notion that they don't want to pay anyone unless it's 'team friendly' I have no problem with this. 
Just a show of hands, how many people when shopping for a house, car or anything really demand that they pay only top dollar? How many of you walk up to the salesman and say, 'Enough with giving me a bargain. I want to overpay for everything I buy! '
Personally I've never seen this happen and I suspect none of you have nor will you any time soon. 
Some people seem to look at a teams budget like their own personal piggy bank and they're shopping for chewing gum where prices are all set in stone. Player salaries vary greatly from player to player depending on experience, health, talent, incentives and so on. We really don't have access to every line of every contract every player signs. They go into every season never knowing if any player at any position will play 1 snap or every snap. Just because player x has played 7 seasons and has never had a serious injury doesn't mean there's a guarantee that he won't break his leg on the first play of the season. We don't know if they're going to have an injury free season or if 3/4 of the team is going to be on injured reserve after the first game. 
So by hanging on as much money as possible within certain parameters it makes perfect sense. Overpaying for question marks doesn't make sense. 
/rant
I suspect that even NE is eventually run up against the injury bug so bad they're going to finish in last place. In fact I hope they do it in spades and it goes on for several years.  

Comparing NFL free agency with buying a house isn't apples to apples.

The Bengals operate a business with revenue sharing where they get exactly 1/32 of the pie.

Also when buying a house...there isn't a salary cap for all houses sold.

The salary cap has risen from $120 million in 2012 to $167 million in 2017. The salary cap is a percentage of revenue so the Bengals are GUARANTEED a profit.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2017, 10:30 AM)Okeana Wrote: per

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Dre-plays-on-with-Bengals-Whats-next/a87a5caf-4f9d-4764-a06e-bc76b7801261

discussion

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/3/10/14877174/bengals-2-3-million-left-spend-free-agency

I can't understand how the front office is coming up with these numbers.  I'm not seeing the details on the Kirkpatrick deal yet, but even if we did eat 15 million in a cap hit for this year this still only accounts for 15 mil of 38-42 million of space they had.  I can understand if they want to allocate that money to Burfict and Eifert, but why not extend them now and eat as much cap this year so next year you can clear some of it off.

One thing the bengals really need to improve upon is learning when to move on from players to keep their stars.  Michael Johnson, Peko, Rey Mal all should be gone by this point.  Pacman is debatable, but I think its clear at this point we need that money and not an aging CB with off the field issues.

This is complete horse shit. The Benagls have over 20 million in cap space for this year. Look at the site below. Its a real time cap space tracker for each team. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 04:14 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This is complete horse shit. The Benagls have over 20 million in cap space for this year. Look at the site below. Its a real time cap space tracker for each team. 

$25 million remaining. Take out ~$10 million that's reserved for the 11 draft picks, plus take out about $3-5 million reserved for injuries. You're looking at about $10 million left to spend.
I'm expecting, at this point, just a few million will be spent toward a serviceable non-starter or two (likely at LB), then the rest being reserved for extensions of upcoming 2018 FAs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 04:14 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This is complete horse shit. The Benagls have over 20 million in cap space for this year. Look at the site below. Its a real time cap space tracker for each team. 

We're getting to the point where it's a moot point...as most of the Top 100 free agents are signed.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 04:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: $25 million remaining. Take out ~$10 million that's reserved for the 11 draft picks, plus take out about $3-5 million reserved for injuries. You're looking at about $10 million left to spend.
I'm expecting, at this point, just a few million will be spent toward a serviceable non-starter or two (likely at LB), then the rest being reserved for extensions of upcoming 2018 FAs.

It is also time to replace Rey. M so hopefully his cut creates 4 million or so in additional cap money
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
For once I want everyone to pay attention to who they bring in due to injuries and how much they pay them. Our only mid season free agents were Gillberry, and a kicker. Now who really thinks they cost the 3-5 million that is set aside for injuries/mid season singings etc?

And don't look at 2015. You'd be surprised (shocked) that we didn't sign anyone due to injury/midseason. Sooooo, where did that money go?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 03:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Comparing NFL free agency with buying a house isn't apples to apples.

The Bengals operate a business with revenue sharing where they get exactly 1/32 of the pie.

Also when buying a house...there isn't a salary cap for all houses sold.

The salary cap has risen from $120 million in 2012 to $167 million in 2017. The salary cap is a percentage of revenue so the Bengals are GUARANTEED a profit.

Agreed.  This is not a 1:1, but an interesting comparison to make. Let's say that similarly to the way each NFL team gets 1/32 of the NFL's revenue, each US household received an equal share of the federal budget (we obviously would never use the federal government's budget merely to re-distribute income, but bear with me).  The 2016 federal budget was $3.54 billion, and there were 125.82 million households in the US, and let's say that 25% of the budget was allocated to household home ownership because that is a good rule of thumb for figuring out how much to spend on rent or a mortgage. 25% of 3.54T/125.82M/12 = $586.15 per month per household.

The Bengals' use of cap space would be equivalent to spending only $586 per month on housing and then trying to compete with teams who want to be competitive and are willing to spend more and actually live in a nice house.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 05:15 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is also time to replace Rey. M so hopefully his cut creates 4 million or so in additional cap money

I agree. It's been time for a few years now (I didn't want him to get re-signed the last time). IMO the six should be....

Burfict, VRey, Vigil, outside veteran, draft pick, Dawson/Flowers. If no veteran is signed, just have Flowers and Dawson take the last two spots. I really want to see Dawson get a chance to play.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote