Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A Nice Break from Hobbs!
(11-10-2016, 05:30 PM)wolverine515151 Wrote: I can't get through more than a few sentences of hobsons deplorable writing before I have to shut it down and try and let my mind heal itself from the onslaught of horrible writing I was just tortured with.

You just strung together 3 clauses (one with a compound predicate) in one sentence and ended it with a preposition.

Maybe Hobson's style hurts your head because you don't know what proper writing actually looks like.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 11:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You just strung together 3 clauses (one with a compound predicate) in one sentence and ended it with a preposition.

Maybe Hobson's style hurts your head because you don't know what proper writing actually looks like.

fred, I understand your attempts at defending Marvin and his staff.  I also understand your willingness to defend  players who are performing well under their ability.  What I cannot understand is you defending Hobson.  I mean honestly fred, the man is not good at the job for which he is employed.

My God, defending Geoff Hobson.  You have unquestionably hit rock-bottom.  

You honestly need to explore different areas of critical thinking that you can implement in order to climb out of this particular delusion that affirms to you that all things Bengals is great, good or even average, because it is not.  Enough is enough.  Re-examine your methodology at judging the different facets of this organization because enough is enough.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 11:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no problem understanding the simple english language that Hobson uses.

Please post a list of his comments that you have been unable to understand And I will explain thew meaning to you.

"In his third season of playing sparingly since he was taken in the 2014 first round, Dennard is more than ready after first playing behind starters and then last Nov. 22 blowing out his shoulder to end his season. Barely had he got back this past training camp when he hurt his ankle, an injury Dennard says has been cleared up now for about a month and he’s poised."

Those two sentences right there are like a high school student trying to finish a paper the night before it's due.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 11:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no problem understanding the simple english language that Hobson uses.

Please post a list of his comments that you have been unable to understand And I will explain thew meaning to you.

"Domata Peko had a smile as big as Wallace Gilberry’s motor before Thursday’s practice when he pointed to his old and new teammate at his locker in the row of defensive linemen"

Here's a sentence from Hobson that is difficult to follow. It isn't that I can't understand Hobson. It's that I have to strain to understand him, which is not something anyone should have to do. If you listen carefully you would understand that instead of going off on a squealing fest.

Secondly it is perfectly acceptable to use compound sentences as long as they use connectors such as and, to, which, from and about.

Thirdly stranded prepositions are also fine and are part of standard english.
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 11:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: That's all most people do around here.

This site is not about having any reasonable debate.  Instead it is about seeing who can be the most superior by producing the most extreme insults.

Have you ever read a thread about broadcasters doing the NFL games.  Apparently they are all ******** monkeys who no nothing about football.

Hobson is not just an average writer, instead his writing actually makes people physically ill.

Our coaches are not just bad.  They are worse than high school coaches.

Posting here is like living among a group of teenage girls.  It is like a big competition to see who can squeal and cry the loudest about how terrible everything is.

If you have such a problem with this place, feel free to post on another Bengals board.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 05:28 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: If you have such a problem with this place, feel free to post on another Bengals board.

We're not that lucky, but what a great early Christmas present that would be.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 03:08 AM)wolverine515151 Wrote: Someone is deleting my comments and flat out editing the ones I post. Why would this site not allow an argument. Stop deleting perfectly acceptable comments. There must be someone on this site that likes toast.

Insulting members and name-calling is not permitted on this message board. You were sent an email and one warning advising you of the rules contained in the COC.
Respectful discussions are expected here.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Oh, wolverine515151 we barely knew ye
Reply/Quote
I think critiquing Hobson's writing is fair. I haven't read an article of his in a long time (for good reason). I find his style to be tiring and his organization at times, erratic. Sometimes it seems as if he writes an article about nothing in particular. If I could offer him a perspective (and mind you it has been a while since I read his stuff, so his writing may be different), I would encourage him to continue to embrace contemplating the millions of statistics associated with football and not get too tied up with fancy word-working.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm not a fan of Hobson's since he went to work for the organization. Far too much fluff and spin. It gets tiresome to see the same types of articles all the time. 

In fairness to Geoff, he wasn't always this kind of writer. Back in the day, before he worked for the Bengals, he actually did some pretty good work and was even critical of Mike Brown at times. Here is an example of that http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Mike-Brown-wont-give-up-control .
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 04:41 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: "In his third season of playing sparingly since he was taken in the 2014 first round, Dennard is more than ready after first playing behind starters and then last Nov. 22 blowing out his shoulder to end his season. Barely had he got back this past training camp when he hurt his ankle, an injury Dennard says has been cleared up now for about a month and he’s poised."

Those two sentences right there are like a high school student trying to finish a paper the night before it's due.

But can you understand what he is saying?  Yes.

Does it make your head hurt to read it?  No.

The funny thing is that his writing is no worse than the people claiming it kills them to read anything written by Hobs.  How do thosepeople survive without ever reading anything they write themselves.

Lately it seems that most people around here are more interested in seeing who can cry the loudest instead of having any realistic discussions.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2016, 05:28 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: If you have such a problem with this place, feel free to post on another Bengals board.

Same could be said for everyone who cries about my posts.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 04:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But can you understand what he is saying?  Yes.

The funny thing is that his writing is no worse than the people claiming it kills them to read anything written by Hobs.  How do thosepeople survive without ever reading anything they write themselves.

Lately it seems that most people around here are more interested in seeing who can cry the loudest instead of having any realistic discussions.

When one puts out the best they can do, and doesn't get satisfactory results, I think only two reasonable choices remain. Stay and lead by example, then hope for a change you wish to see. Or try something new and different, and see how that works out. 

Since you seem to feel that a majority exists here to only disappoint you, I suggest the latter. Either way, good luck!
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Hobson writes in metaphors quite a bit. Sometimes they come out ok, most times I have to reread it and still don't get the gist. It's just a different style fairly common with sports writers.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 03:52 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm not a fan of Hobson's since he went to work for the organization. Far too much fluff and spin. It gets tiresome to see the same types of articles all the time. 

In fairness to Geoff, he wasn't always this kind of writer. Back in the day, before he worked for the Bengals, he actually did some pretty good work and was even critical of Mike Brown at times. Here is an example of that http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Mike-Brown-wont-give-up-control .

That article was on point and astounded me that Geoff had some talent.
Apparently Hobbs is now " bengalized " ( in a bad way ).
Reply/Quote
I think it's his metaphors that gets Hobson in trouble . Something he might write would be, "As in the war of 1812...(something something) when hemp was the hot commodity (something something) Jerome Simpson (something something)...." and nobody would understand hemps' role in the importance to war ships of the day. The sails were almost all made from hemp fiber, but we all know about Jerome and weed..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2016, 04:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But can you understand what he is saying?  Yes.

There's a huge difference between someone who writes for a professional sports team and someone who posts on a message board.

This is a realistic discussion. He is a poor writer and makes his articles very hard to read and comprehend.

Can you? Yes.
Do you have to take a double take? Yes.

Like I said, his writing style mimics that of a high school kid trying to reach a word count the day before his essay is due.

"In his third season of playing sparingly since he was taken in the 2014 first round, Dennard is more than ready after first playing behind starters and then last Nov. 22 blowing out his shoulder to end his season. Barely had he got back this past training camp when he hurt his ankle, an injury Dennard says has been cleared up now for about a month and he’s poised."

Let's take a look at some things.

He says that Dennard was in his 3rd season, but yet has to retierate what year he was taken. You already said how long he's been in the league, no need to add a year later on in the sentence.

After the comma, the rest is pretty much umbled and could have been broken down into two cohesive sentences. Also, what does he mean by "after first playing behind starters and then last Nov. 22 blowing out his shoulder". Does that mean he became a starter before the injury? Or was he still a backup?
The last sentence is formed extremely odd, as in the beginning Hobs makes it seem like a question. But he says barely had he got back this training camp when he hurt his ankle. What does that even mean? He was injured early? He was dealing with an injury and barely had time to practice? What?

So what exactly are those two sentences trying to say? You have to re-read it to fully comprehend everything. It doesn't flow.

I'm sorry if I want my journalist that is hired directly by the Bengals to be a better writer than he is.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote