Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2/5 of our O-line still concerns me & could prevent us having a Top 10 or better line
LT Cordy Glenn, LG Clint Boling and now Center Billy Price have me feeling confident about 3/5 of our O-line.

I don't feel nearly as confident about the other 2/5 (RG and RT)

I would like a minimum of 1 offensive lineman taken tonight with the total of 3 picks we have in rounds 2 & 3 and may be inclined to take two tonight should I think they could finish off an O-line overhaul.

Jake Fisher coming off heart issues that could resurface or it may take him time to fully regain strength from his heart issues. Coupled with him not performing in a bonafide way coupled with Bobby Hart waiting to take the right tackle reigns if Fisher falters. This has me concerned. It definitely makes the right tackle position appear unsettled, as it was last season, & not as bonafide as the LT, LG and C positions. This could prevent us having an Elite O-line.

Penciling in say Christian Westerman at right guard or having one of our current right guard contenders win the job is also unsettling to me. Not as bonafide as the LT, LG and C positions. This could prevent us having an Elite O-line.

I'd say that I want either a highly regarded Guard prospect to be taken tonight or a highly regarded right tackle prospect be taken or possibly both in order to take a strong shot at obtaining a top 10 or better O-line fairly quickly.

I want to feel stoked about 5 of the 5 starters or at the very least 4 of the 5 with the addition of the 4th guy opening the door for another guy currently on the team to compete for that 5th spot. (Example, getting a solid right tackle tonight could allow Fisher to compete at Guard meaning we only take one O-lineman tonight)

With all that said I lean towards two more O-lineman being taken tonight RT & G but will settle for only 1 being taken and be disappointed if it is zero.

I'd say my greatest concern is at right tackle and we have options like  - Connor Williams or Orlando Brown maybe others

Dream scenario would be Will Hernandez (Guard) somehow slips to pick 46 or we make a 5 or 6 pick trade up for him and then get say Orlando Brown in round 3. This scenario uses 2 of our 3 picks tonight but I would love it.

Or we just use 1 of the 3 picks for a solid O-lineman.

Using 2 of the 3 picks tonight on O-lineman may not be a popular move with many but I would go for it under the right circumstances.

If not, then use 1 of the 3 on the right O-line guy tonight.  Using Zero picks tonight on O-line will have me unsettled about the line.

I want an Elite level line pursued and not just hoped for.

Only confident in 3/5 of it so far.
Reply/Quote
Relax, just a few months ago 4/5 OL positions were question marks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I hope we can get Orlando brown in the third

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Starting 3 rookies on the offensive line no matter how good they were in college would have me unsettled.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I'm actually ok with Fisher, Hart and Perkins at RT. Perkins played fairly well when he filled in.

I think that Westerman, Redmond, Hopkins is ok as well.

That being said - I would give up something to go get Hernandez at this point.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 03:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Relax, just a few months ago 4/5 OL positions were question marks.

It is definitely getting better.

I just want them to take it the rest of the way.  :heart:

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 03:29 PM)Synric Wrote: Starting 3 rookies on the offensive line no matter how good they were in college would have me unsettled.

Price will start as a rookie no matter what and if say Westerman gets the job he has little starting experience. Fisher has been so/so at best.

2nd rounder Cam Robinson started for the Jags last year and did a decent job.

I don't fear starting 3 rookies as long as I have confidence in their pedigrees.

May be some bumps in the road but there were many bumps last year. At least a 3 rookie bumpy road would be leading us to possibly a Top 10 line once they do develop.

I start that journey, bumpy or not.
Reply/Quote
I actually have less worries about RG and RT than I had about Center and LT. I think even if we ran Westerman and Fisher out we'd be okay, maybe not great but at least average. I still think we grab a rookie today but I'm not sure anyone we take today will be a guaranteed starter as they all have some sort of flaw. One thing is someone we take today though could be a solution later in the year if Westerman or Fisher aren't panning out.
Reply/Quote
All depends on Pollack but I would not mind taking the best RT available and trading up a few spots to get him.

Westerman and Redmond looked pretty darn good in last two games.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 03:38 PM)bengals67 Wrote: All depends on Pollack but I would not mind taking the best RT available and trading up a few spots to get him.

Westerman and Redmond looked pretty darn good in last two games.

This is why I may be willing to settle for just one O-lineman tonight but that would be a right tackle.

Then Fisher can compete with Westerman and Redmond at Guard.

If we use Zero of the 3 picks on O-line tonight, I won't be happy.

Would love Will Hernandez and Orlando Brown if it could somehow happen. This would march us towards Elite.  IMO
Reply/Quote
Give me Orlando Brown in the third or jemarco Jones in 4 or 5.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 03:35 PM)depthchart Wrote: Price will start as a rookie no matter what and if say Westerman gets the job he has little starting experience. Fisher has been so/so at best.

2nd rounder Cam Robinson started for the Jags last year and did a decent job.

I don't fear starting 3 rookies as long as I have confidence in their pedigrees.

May be some bumps in the road but there were many bumps last year. At least a 3 rookie bumpy road would be leading us to possibly a Top 10 line once they do develop.

I start that journey, bumpy or not.

And the Broncos started 20th overall Garett Bolles and he wasnt that good.

Starting that many rookies on one postion group is never a good thing.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
My thinking is we take an OT tonight; either Williams or Brown would work. And at that point we go with Westerman at RG and we will see some OL cuts later as Fisher would be (if healthy) the swing Tackle, Redmond the swing Guard and Johnson backing up Price. Og gets cut or traded.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 03:47 PM)Synric Wrote: And the Broncos started 20th overall Garett Bolles and he wasnt that good.

Starting that many rookies on one postion group is never a good thing.

Price is starting no matter what, so that leaves say Westerman and Fisher.

You don't have to begin the season, game one starting all 3 rookies.

They can be developed and worked in over the season.

What matters is what you end up with. (Use 2 picks tonight)

Glenn,  Boling,  Price,  Hernandez, Orlando Brown

-or-

We only take a RT tonight and end up with. (Use one pick tonight)

Glenn,  Boling,  Price,  Fisher, Connor Williams
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 03:59 PM)depthchart Wrote: Price is starting no matter what, so that leaves say Westerman and Fisher.

-or-

Fisher is a RT, he isn't a guard and one of his issues was we kept moving him around in the past and he stated such. I think it's more likely Conor Williams would kick inside in that scenario. Also I think Orlando Brown goes much earlier than people think.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 03:30 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm actually ok with Fisher, Hart and Perkins at RT.  Perkins played fairly well when he filled in.

I think that Westerman, Redmond, Hopkins is ok as well.

That being said - I would give up something to go get Hernandez at this point.

Hell, I forgot all about Perkins.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 04:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: Fisher is a RT, he isn't a guard and one of his issues was we kept moving him around in the past and he stated such. I think it's more likely Conor Williams would kick inside in that scenario. Also I think Orlando Brown goes much earlier than people think.

If a tackle cant hold the starting spot at tackle they often kick into Guard.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 03:59 PM)depthchart Wrote: Price is starting no matter what, so that leaves say Westerman and Fisher.

-or-

I understand where your coming from they need to shake up the line from last year and of course they will start Billy Price day one. 

I think Redmond gets a decent shot at RG he looked really good their the final two games. 

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 03:42 PM)depthchart Wrote: This is why I may be willing to settle for just one O-lineman tonight but that would be a right tackle.

Then Fisher can compete with Westerman and Redmond at Guard.

If we use Zero of the 3 picks on O-line tonight, I won't be happy.

Would love Will Hernandez and Orlando Brown if it could somehow happen. This would march us towards Elite.  IMO

while they would be decent picks I don't want 3/4 of our top picks going to the OL... 

3/5ths is still 2/5ths better than when it was just boiling. lol... But I think what we already have we don't need a RG really... Fishers problems could have all been related to his now corrected heart problem.

We aren't gonna be able to retool the entire line this draft and we already got 2 quality linemen for the 12th pick.

But ill trust the bengals and what they have been doing this offseason.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 04:05 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: If a tackle cant hold the starting spot at tackle they often kick into Guard.

Understand that but normally it is because they lack the athleticism to be a Tackle. That isn't Fisher's issue and he is not what you'd really want as a guard. He is a tackle and I think the Bengals have faith in him.
Reply/Quote