Poll: Describe your Mood about this 2 and 1 Bengal team's chances going forward
Calm & cool – This team will be fine & make the Playoffs. Then maybe more.
Uneasy – could flip a coin on how you think this season turns out. Something derails us or squeak into the Playoffs.
Knot in gut – just know this thing implodes enough to miss Playoffs. Even if they barely miss.
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 and 1 with "Uneasy Feelings"
This season is pretty much the exact opposite of what I figured it would be. I thought our offense would struggle a bit getting started and the defense would be our rock.

And thus far our D has been basically terrible and our offense pretty damn good all things considered. I think our defense will pick it up some with Burfict coming back and so on.

I'm just not sure this offense has enough firepower yet to overcome the at best mediocre D we're gonna end up with. Ross is still very much a project to say the least. Who knows how long Eifert is gonna stay on the field ? Mixon may be out awhile ?

I'd say we're gonna end up just short of the playoffs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 02:20 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Week after month after year after decade, I'm always going to have some level of uneasy feeling about the Bengals. Hell, they force it on me imo. They're football's version of "Almost Famous" - almost always capable of being winners, but never quite 'there'. Constantly chasing a major issue is the norm, it seems. If it isn't the OLine, it's the LB's. If not them, then it's shoddy play from a needed WR. If not that, way too many penalties or missed turnover opportunities.

Of course I just described the bulk of NFL teams, but damn! Wanting to see all the ducks lined up just once in over 50 years does not seem unreasonable. But I'm not running out of patience; I'm running out of time ....

"Almost Famous" - Nice comparison! LOL! The Bengals are footballs equivalent of Poco!  Thank god you didn't have a way to make the Captain and Toneil connection. 
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 04:15 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The only uneasiness I'm feeling is that our fans negativity towards the team will translate into fragile psyche on Sundays. Ya, we can say the fans have 0 effect the outcome of the games but IMO, not true. #StayPositive

There's an easy way to fix the negativity - just freakin' win!  Hell - even the aints and buckinears have figured out how to win the big one at least once!
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 01:57 PM)depthchart Wrote: I just want "fairness" from the NFL regarding Burfict hitting Big Ben.

If they eject Burfict at the first sign of the slightest "Bodyweight" tackle, I will be LIVID.

Clay Matthews had 2 straight weeks of Key penalties of the roughing the QB type and I don't believe he was ejected.

Will they be quick to eject Burfict ?  I am pretty certain they will be quick to Flag him especially if Big Ben is involved.

You should be able to expect fairness, but in the subjective world of NFL officiating that doesn't really happen.

If Burfict lets the weight of his arm land on a QB he'll be flagged, especially if it's on 3rd down. I know it's ridiculous for me to say those words, but that's pretty much what I expect from the NFL these days. Just plain f'ing up the game with idiot rules that aren't actually helping anyone, but are affecting the outcome of games.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 06:22 PM)BengalChris Wrote: You should be able to expect fairness, but in the subjective world of NFL officiating that doesn't really happen.

If Burfict lets the weight of his arm land on a QB he'll be flagged, especially if it's on 3rd down. I know it's ridiculous for me to say those words, but that's pretty much what I expect from the NFL these days. Just plain f'ing up the game with idiot rules that aren't actually helping anyone, but are affecting the outcome of games.

You have to wonder if the rule changes will force Dlineman to approach the game completely differently. It may be more effective to go exclusively for the ball and not even try to knock the guy down. Sounds weird, but is there anything else these guys can actually 'legally' do?
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 06:38 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: You have to wonder if the rule changes will force Dlineman to approach the game completely differently. It may be more effective to go exclusively for the ball and not even try to knock the guy down. Sounds weird, but is there anything else these guys can actually 'legally' do?

Yeah, I was sorta wondering about that very thing. It occurred to me that dlinemen really could be replaced by faster smaller players who never really get down in a stance, but are quick and shoot gaps and work to contain an offense rather than stop it. Remember that game years ago when Belichik played 2 Dlinemen and dropped everyone else in coverage?

Reply/Quote
Many a good team has laid an egg or two, early in a season. The hallmark of any great team, is one that continues to grow and improve as the season progresses. Sure, the defense has looked bad, but we also had about $20M worth of LBs missing this week. Life is much different when you have your two all-pro LBs on the field at the same time.

Andy, by all accounts, looks on track to have a career year. As long as AJ and Joe get back in action soon, and the OL continues it's slow and steady improvement, the offense should be really tough for teams to deal with in the back half of the season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 12:41 PM)depthchart Wrote: The Bengals are 2 and 1.

First Place in the AFC North yet the Mood among fans is "Uneasy".

The O-line is not a Cancer. Tyler Boyd is stepping up as the Offense seems improved. Eifert contributing. Worry seems to have shifted to the Defense as we wait for Burfict and Preston to get on the field.

Lots of potential shots in the arm could come as the season progresses. Mixon will come back plus Price. Burfict & Preston as mentioned. Hope that the Defense will Gel with experience together in Teryl's system. Two road games out of the way.

Then the "Uneasy" creeps back in. John Ross nearly invisible. Will Burfict bring penalties ? Do injuries linger with AJ ? Was Teryl Austin the right hire? The Ravens may not go away so easily and the Steelers have been like a submerged beech ball in the past that pops back up with Big Ben.

The mood on the Board seems less than Stoked for a 2 and 1 first place in the Division team.

Take the Poll to gauge our confidence levels...

I am calm, we played better than i thought right out of the gate especially against the Ravens who are a tough team
and the Colts are better than i thought they would be. Honestly thought we would lose atleast one of these games
between the Panthers and Falcons as we are still adjusting and the coaches and players are trying to gel.

Losing Price and Preston were pretty big losses.
Reply/Quote
Right now? A little uneasy. Mostly because of injuries to some of our important players. If we can get healthy, and stay healthy, I’ll feel much better.

Reply/Quote
Uneasy in the fact that the D line is nearly non-existent right now. Carolina with 3 backups and all they could muster up was one nice play by Dunlap. They need to show up this next game.

Overall for the season not uneasy at all. When we get competent LBers back in the game the D will be improved. This offense will be able to keep this team in every game. Look at the Carolina game. Our D gives up record rushing yards and we are 3 key plays away from being right there. 1: Dunlap fumble not recovered
2: Hubbard ount block that was ohhh so close
3: Holdinf on Redmond on what was a nice gain and ultimately took away a legit scoring opportunity.

Looking at our schedule I would have taken a 2-2 record to start and that’s what we will have in the worst possible scenario as it stands.

I am usually doubtful with this team but I firmly believe they will get a playoff W this year so long as they are healthy.
Reply/Quote
I think a win over the Falcons can give this team the real jolt it needs and some momentum as the Dolphins lie ahead and a Steelers that has found itself
this defense suffered vs the Panthers minus its veteran leaders MJ VB and PB.
I think losing Pacman is felt to a degree.
but someone other than Green Boyd Dunlap Atkins and Mixon needs to play at a very high level especially on the d side or special teams.
we need to find that hidden game changer no one talks about
a INT return...punt..kickoff....
Reply/Quote
I chose the eeny meenie miney moe option then picked a Bengal by the toe. When it hollered I let it go and said once again,  eeny meenie miney moe..My mother told me to pick the very best one and it wasn't it.. eeny meenie miney moe..

It's a process of elimination you know and has never been known to fail, almost as reliable as 'May the sacred heat of St Jude make all your wishes come true ..'

Who dey, who dey, who dey gonna beat dem Bengals?  Noooooooooo-body... Except for the teams that do . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
16th in offense YPG, 26th on defense. Kind of confirms the eye test that they are 2-1 but will need to play better. Good news is that their AFC record remains unblemished, and they are 1-0 in their division.
Reply/Quote
Carolina exposed some pretty significant weaknesses on our team.

We started the season against a bad team and a division rival (those games are always tight/competitive regardless of the team's ability in the particular year, so not indicative of the talent level of a team most times).

I think this game on Sunday will be a good measurement of where the Bengals truly stand.

Their offense looks great.

Their defense looks pretty awful.

Not the team we're used to. So the question becomes can this defense overcome it's deficiencies and will returning players resolve those issues to the point where we can make a playoff run?

I am hopeful, but nervous. Looking forward to Sunday to find out more.
Reply/Quote