Poll: Describe your Mood about this 2 and 1 Bengal team's chances going forward
Calm & cool – This team will be fine & make the Playoffs. Then maybe more.
Uneasy – could flip a coin on how you think this season turns out. Something derails us or squeak into the Playoffs.
Knot in gut – just know this thing implodes enough to miss Playoffs. Even if they barely miss.
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 and 1 with "Uneasy Feelings"
The Bengals are 2 and 1.

First Place in the AFC North yet the Mood among fans is "Uneasy".

The O-line is not a Cancer. Tyler Boyd is stepping up as the Offense seems improved. Eifert contributing. Worry seems to have shifted to the Defense as we wait for Burfict and Preston to get on the field.

Lots of potential shots in the arm could come as the season progresses. Mixon will come back plus Price. Burfict & Preston as mentioned. Hope that the Defense will Gel with experience together in Teryl's system. Two road games out of the way.

Then the "Uneasy" creeps back in. John Ross nearly invisible. Will Burfict bring penalties ? Do injuries linger with AJ ? Was Teryl Austin the right hire? The Ravens may not go away so easily and the Steelers have been like a submerged beech ball in the past that pops back up with Big Ben.

The mood on the Board seems less than Stoked for a 2 and 1 first place in the Division team.

Take the Poll to gauge our confidence levels...
Reply/Quote
I have no uneasy about this offense, it's the defensive side that worries me. I don't think it's the players, maybe a couple, but for the most part, it's Merv's philosophy.
Reply/Quote
I feel in between the 'uneasy' option and the 'fully confident' option. When we have all of our guys out there healthy, we can win any game. The only thing I'm uneasy about is injuries to our best guys. We need Green and Mixon back by the Dolphins game, or 2-3 might be realistic.
Reply/Quote
Irritated with the 4 INTs and run defense. These are correctable.

Refs will not let anyone tackle Rothlesburger without a 15 yard penalty, which is something we cannot correct except by just not watching games and hitting the NFL in the pocket book.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I realized a few nights ago that just like currency, point inflation has occurred in Rogers NFL. What you use to be able to buy for $10 now cost $20. 14 points today is now the equivalent of 7 points in the old system.

Defense is dead.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 01:20 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Irritated with the 4 INTs and run defense. These are correctable.

Refs will not let anyone tackle Rothlesburger without a 15 yard penalty, which is something we cannot correct except by just not watching games and hitting the NFL in the pocket book.

I just want "fairness" from the NFL regarding Burfict hitting Big Ben.

If they eject Burfict at the first sign of the slightest "Bodyweight" tackle, I will be LIVID.

Clay Matthews had 2 straight weeks of Key penalties of the roughing the QB type and I don't believe he was ejected.

Will they be quick to eject Burfict ?  I am pretty certain they will be quick to Flag him especially if Big Ben is involved.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 01:54 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I realized a few nights ago that just like currency, point inflation has occurred in Rogers NFL. What you use to be able to buy for $10 now cost $20.  14 points  today is now the equivalent of 7 points in the old system.

Defense is dead.

Give it a few more years and they may just start using the Red Practice Jerseys for QBs during games.

One wide receiver could put on a Yellow "go over the middle" jersey as well.

These rules are making the game safer. I just hope they don't take it too far. The "bodyweight" rule needs some tweaking for sure.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 02:05 PM)depthchart Wrote: Give it a few more years and they may just start using the Red Practice Jerseys for QBs during games.

These rules are making the game safer. I just hope they don't take it too far. The "bodyweight" rule needs some tweaking for sure.

They just need to implement the Touch Rule for QB's. If a Defensive player touches the QB, then he is ruled down at that spot. Safer for QB's and easier for Defenses. .......it's coming.
Reply/Quote
Week after month after year after decade, I'm always going to have some level of uneasy feeling about the Bengals. Hell, they force it on me imo. They're football's version of "Almost Famous" - almost always capable of being winners, but never quite 'there'. Constantly chasing a major issue is the norm, it seems. If it isn't the OLine, it's the LB's. If not them, then it's shoddy play from a needed WR. If not that, way too many penalties or missed turnover opportunities.

Of course I just described the bulk of NFL teams, but damn! Wanting to see all the ducks lined up just once in over 50 years does not seem unreasonable. But I'm not running out of patience; I'm running out of time ....
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
I have a queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. Sure, it might be the Big Fish sandwich from Burger King I had over lunch but I’m not sure the Cincinnati defense could stop a slow neutron. Watching Christian McCaffrey gash the Bengals’ front seven over and over was depressing especially watching men like Geno Atkins get blown off the line by some third string scrub off Carolina’s bench.

The offense gives me hope and I love what I see from Bill Lazor. Unfortunately this offense isn’t built to score 40 points per game which is what it’s going to take to overcome a leaky, soft defense.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 02:05 PM)depthchart Wrote: Give it a few more years and they may just start using the Red Practice Jerseys for QBs during games.

Yeah on the golden boys sure. Bengals need not apply.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 02:16 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: They just need to implement the Touch Rule for QB's. If a Defensive player touches the QB, then he is ruled down at that spot. Safer for QB's and easier for Defenses. .......it's coming.

And i'll be going. I have already stopped watching any games other than the Bengals and it has nothing to do with politics. It's bad football.

I don't recognize the sport anymore.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 02:16 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: They just need to implement the Touch Rule for QB's. If a Defensive player touches the QB, then he is ruled down at that spot. Safer for QB's and easier for Defenses. .......it's coming.

^^ Exactly. It's at this point now. Seriously it would make things alot easier.  Last night the call on the Bucs D lineman for slapping Bens shoulder pad and of course Ben (with terrific acting) fell to the ground drawing the 15 yd penalty. Clearly a bad call.

All Q'backs should wear lime green jerseys and the Touch Rule installed. Jack Lambert said back in the 70's Q'backs should wear dresses then. Hilarious
Reply/Quote
I'm not happy with the loss, but it was to a team that was 11-5 last year. Not to mention we were without 2 of our starting LB (in Burfict and Brown), I could see why the defense struggled.

That said, we need the defense to step up regardless of who's playing. I'm confident, they'll be good enough to get us to the playoffs. Beyond that, well, I will wait and see like everyone else.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Cool and calm. I’ve been very happy with the offense and how quickly most seem to have taken to the new system. The defense is new as well and without two stud LB’s. Once they are back and the defense gels it should be fine. I’ve said all along I thought we were in for an ugly start but that the team would really start to fire on all cylinders as these changes set in and young guys got some much needed experience. This team is off to a better start than I expected.
Reply/Quote

They are going to have to do this.  How is it fair for a QB like Roethlessburger to fight tooth and nail to stay up and not get sacked, but penalize a defensive player for trying to finish him.  How many times has he burnt this defense when the rule was different let alone allowing him to not be hit.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 02:53 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: They are going to have to do this.  How is it fair for a QB like Roethlessburger to fight tooth and nail to stay up and not get sacked, but penalize a defensive player for trying to finish him.  How many times has he burnt this defense when the rule was different let alone allowing him to not be hit.

Just a thought: Why don't defensive players file a grievance with the NFLPA about the QB rules . Isn't that a form of favortism to protect just one class of employee and not the rest equally? Because as we have seen, these QB hit rules can negatively affect the health and job of other players. Basically fight fire with fire if they keep up with these ridiculous calls. Surprised it hasn't happened yet, but I almost bet we'll see it at some point.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 03:23 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Just a thought: Why don't defensive players file a grievance with the NFLPA about the QB rules . Isn't that a form of favortism to protect just one class of employee and not the rest equally? Because as we have seen, these QB hit rules can negatively affect the health and job of other players. Basically fight fire with fire if they keep up with these ridiculous calls. Surprised it hasn't happened yet, but I almost bet we'll see it at some point.

Im all for the NFL protecting their stars. Lets face it , the QB's are what everyone cares about. The problem I have with it is that now, there is another set of penalties that are interpretive. I have seen Andy Dalton get hit this year with no flag and countless other QB's getting breathed on and them tossing the yellow. You can never count on the refs to call the games the same way which is all anyone asks for.  Last night, for example, Ryan Fitzpatrick threw the ball and a Steeler defender was allowed 4 steps and to hit him low. It wasnt a vicious hit but it was more obvious than the Dunlap penalty when he hit Andrew Luck low. 
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2018, 03:37 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Im all for the NFL protecting their stars. Lets face it , the QB's are what everyone cares about. The problem I have with it is that now, there is another set of penalties that are interpretive. I have seen Andy Dalton get hit this year with no flag and countless other QB's getting breathed on and them tossing the yellow. You can never count on the refs to call the games the same way which is all anyone asks for.  Last night, for example, Ryan Fitzpatrick threw the ball and a Steeler defender was allowed 4 steps and to hit him low. It wasnt a vicious hit but it was more obvious than the Dunlap penalty when he hit Andrew Luck low. 

If the NFL refuses to minimize the number of subjective rules available to refs, then they need to implement replay options for penalties.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
The only uneasiness I'm feeling is that our fans negativity towards the team will translate into fragile psyche on Sundays. Ya, we can say the fans have 0 effect the outcome of the games but IMO, not true. #StayPositive
Reply/Quote