Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 first round draft picks? Possibly.
(12-14-2016, 10:55 PM)Whatever Wrote: The Rimington Trophy is a poor indicator of NFL success.  Of the past 10 Rimington Award winners, 7 are out of the league(Dan Mozes, Jonathan Luigs, Jake Kirkpatrick, David Molk, Barrett Jones, Bryan Stork, Reese Dismukes).  AQ Shipley has been a journeyman backup his entire career.  Maurkice Pouncey is the only Pro Bowl/All Pro caliber guy, and Ryan Kelly is starting as a rookie.  Picking a C based on the Rimington is like picking a QB because he won the Heisman.  It is purely a measure of what they did in college and by no means an endorsement of NFL worthiness.

Athleticism matters when he's asked to pull, make reach blocks, or block guys at the second level.  Short arms makes it harder to anchor, because longer armed DT's can extend into his chest and get him moving backwards.  They aren't AS important for a C, but they're still weaknesses, and weaknesses that top C prospects don't have.

u forget he was a great pull blocker when he was at rg blocking for Elliot while being a 2 time all American at that position,but he makes up for short arms by having anchors for legs. We will have this debate till draft day bc this is our biggest need, but if he plays very well against Clemson and bama dline, he deserves a very hard look.
Reply/Quote
Right now it sounds like Elfein can be had with our 2nd rounder.

I don't know if McMillan would be the best player available for us in the 1st but you never know.

Still would love for us to get the best Center in the draft in the 2nd and a dual threat LB in the first or a pass rusher.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 03:26 AM)Jpoore Wrote: he is the best center in the draft posic game just isn't as good as elflien and imo nowhere close. And yeah he got beat while he is the center of a oline with 3 freshman on it. Was he getting beat or was he trying to make up for his olines mistakes? and once bodine got beat by a backpedaling Browns defender for a sack he was dead to me and Johnson is garbage. I thing he will be a 3-4 time pro bowler.

I'm all for drafting him, but not until the 2nd round.  He's not a first rounder.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 05:03 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm all for drafting him, but not until the 2nd round.  He's not a first rounder.

again most Sites have upgraded him to a first rounder saying he will go where Mack went. 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2016, 06:21 PM)Jpoore Wrote: again most Sites have upgraded him to a first rounder saying he will go where Mack went. 

Which ones?  CBS, Draftek, Scouts Inc., and Walterfootball don't have him as a 1st rounder.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
With the first pick, Usa today, and pro football focus. The reason for the variation is because of the fact that some people think that he will be kicked back out to guard. And everyone wants to mention his 2 sacks he gave up against Michigan. Those are the only 2 sacks he gave up all year.i think as we get closer to the draft, he will be this year's wjiii where he shoots up the boards late.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 03:50 AM)Jpoore Wrote: With the first pick, Usa today, and pro football focus. The reason for the variation is because of the fact that some people think that he will be kicked back out to guard. And everyone wants to mention his 2 sacks he gave up against Michigan. Those are the only 2 sacks he gave up all year.i think as we get closer to the draft, he will be this year's wjiii where he shoots up the boards late.

I'll take your word on PFF, but WithTheFirstPick doesn't have him going in the 1st in their mock, and USA Today doesn't have him going until pick 26, which is a lot more reasonable than 16.

People are going to key on the Michigan game because they have a couple of day 2 DL.    The true test is what he does against guys who will play on Sunday, not guys who will be selling insurance when their college days are over.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 01:37 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'll take your word on PFF, but WithTheFirstPick doesn't have him going in the 1st in their mock, and USA Today doesn't have him going until pick 26, which is a lot more reasonable than 16.

People are going to key on the Michigan game because they have a couple of day 2 DL.    The true test is what he does against guys who will play on Sunday, not guys who will be selling insurance when their college days are over.

Michigan has one of the best Defensive fronts in all college football.

You don't think any of those guys will get drafted?
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 01:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Michigan has one of the best Defensive fronts in all college football.

You don't think any of those guys will get drafted?

As I said, they have a couple of day 2 picks.  That's why Elflien's performance against them is raising alarm bells.  He got exposed a little bit against a good college front.  What will he do against a good NFL front?
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 11:07 PM)Whatever Wrote: As I said, they have a couple of day 2 picks.  That's why Elflien's performance against them is raising alarm bells.  He got exposed a little bit against a good college front.  What will he do against a good NFL front?

Wisconson has a good fromt as well as penn state and he didnt get exposed against them. 
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2016, 03:37 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Wisconson has a good fromt as well as penn state and he didnt get exposed against them. 

Sure, they have a good front, but they aren't loaded with NFL prospects.  If he's there in the 2nd round, I'd take him without batting an eye.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2016, 01:45 PM)Whatever Wrote: They can trade comp picks starting this year, but it wasn't allowed previously.

should benefit us greatly 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2016, 01:37 AM)magikod Wrote: should benefit us greatly 

One would think, but you know how much the Bengals value ALL of their picks.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2016, 11:54 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Sure, they have a good front, but they aren't loaded with NFL prospects.  If he's there in the 2nd round, I'd take him without batting an eye.
Yes as would I. if I thought we could get him in second, I would love to not use a first rounder on him. But I think we do win out and that means we'll be picking in the last teens 17, 18. If we do that means u are assuming he will last basically 1 whole round and 75 percent of round 2. I do not think that. I do think he will be a went or wjii and shoot up draft boards at the combine and senior bowl bc he's Andrew Billings strong. If we were able to get him in second would love a de like dude from tenessee or lb maybe McMillan? But I think that's a reach he's more of a late first pick so maybe Ruben Foster is still there. Also a possibility in the first if he comes out lattimore or corner from Florida. I know it's another corner, but lattimore needs at least 1 year on the bench. He's a first year starter. And if wjiii replaces pacman and if we keep Kirkpatrick, we need a slot bc Denmark is more glass than eifert. If Kirkpatrick leaves wjiii will be number 2 and will have lattinore or Florida corner waiting to take over number 2 when pacman retires. It's all about the direction the Bengals will want to go.
Reply/Quote
I'm not a fan of Elfein..He gets knocked around at times. Check out center Jon Toth out of Kentucky..He is consitent and a big sleeper. We could get him in the 3rd round.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2016, 09:39 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: I'm not a fan of Elfein..He gets knocked around at times. Check out center Jon Toth out of Kentucky..He is consitent and a big sleeper. We could get him in the 3rd round.

Feel like he's a lateral move from bodine.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully no offense is taken, but it seems like OP is biased towards Ohio St likely because that's what OP has watched the most.

Elflein and McMillan are both solid players, don't get me wrong. But neither has really ever exhibited game changing ability.

Elflein may very well be a first rounder, but definitely not early enough to be picked in the top half of the draft. He's a mid-20's pick at best. However, it's also very possible Elflein is available in the early second round, as he does have his flaws and isn't that much better than Pocic.

McMillan is consistently graded as a second rounder. In fact, he is very similar to Kendell Beckwith in terms of skill set and production. Beckwith is projected for rounds 2-3.
Neither Beckwith nor McMillan has shown to be worth selecting over Foster or Cunningham.
You seem to value PFF's opinion, so here's an article from PFF claiming Foster is the best, most complete LB in college football.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football-reuben-foster-is-the-best-most-complete-lb-alabama-crimson-tide/
They also have Foster as the first ILB taken at pick #8 in their latest mock draft from just 6 days ago, followed by Cunningham at #20.
Foster definitely seems to make more impactful plays than McMillan from the games I've watched on both of them, and he seems faster on the field.
Cunningham is a tackling machine, having over 200 combined tackles and 30 TFLs over the past two seasons. He's also rated as one of the top LBs in coverage, expected to be better than Foster, McMillan, and Beckwith in this area for ILB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Jpore, do I understand correctly you believe the Bengals can trade up into the middle of the first round with a 3rd and a compensatory 5th round pick?
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2016, 03:37 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Wisconson has a good fromt as well as penn state and he didnt get exposed against them. 

Neither team has a draftable DT coming out this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 06:07 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Jpore, do I understand correctly you believe the Bengals can trade up into the middle of the first round with a 3rd and a compensatory 5th round pick?

No was saying that when we were at 8 we could trade down to 16 then trade up into late 20s but that's shot now that we're gonna end up at around 16 
Reply/Quote