Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2009 - 2010 All Over Again?
I will admit I have followed this team much more closely and in depth since 2011 then I did before, probably because that's the year I became semi-retired/********.

However I don't follow, analyze, and dissect as much as some of you here, so refresh my memory on this.

How did this team go from 10-6, winning the division, and sweeping Pittsburgh in 2009, from 4-12 in 2010 after picking up Owens??

Could be on the verge of a similar repeat.

Was it injuries?  I just can't remember.
Reply/Quote
Try 2006.

We are seeing the exact same mental errors that plaqued that team.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 01:10 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Try 2006.

We are seeing the exact same mental errors that plaqued that team.

Mental errors for the defense.

Offensive side of the ball --- it's all on the OLine. They SUCK right now.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 11:34 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I will admit I have followed this team much more closely and in depth since 2011 then I did before, probably because that's the year I became semi-retired/********.

However I don't follow, analyze, and dissect as much as some of you here, so refresh my memory on this.

How did this team go from 10-6, winning the division, and sweeping Pittsburgh in 2009, from 4-12 in 2010 after picking up Owens??

2009 was the year of the "Cardiac Cats" and the many last minute wins. Brian Leonard, the defense, and special teams got us through 2009.

2010 was a complete debacle. The "TO and Ocho" aka "Batman and Robin" show destroyed CP9. And it was clear as a bell that CP9 was instructed to force the ball towards TO. So many INT's thrown into triple coverage. Oh, and free popcorn. (Remember that? LOL) I can almost feel the embarrassment again when I think about it. UGH
Reply/Quote
2010 was also a year when the o-line looked inexplicably bad, but the problems were more numerous and severe.  Horrid pass blocking, two receivers that were shells of their former selves, a QB with no mobility, poor rb play(Benson fell off and Scott was never good), and an OC who had been figured out by the entire league.  The offense seemed like it was built to implode.  Even with the o-line woes, this year's team looks better than the 2010 team.  Bodine or Ogbuehi now > 2010 Nate Livings.  The guy was absolutely putrid.  
Reply/Quote
I hated the whole 2010 team, Chad Johnson big dissapoinment that year, I barely recognized him playing, recognized him more on tv. Owens was ok, but he ran a lot of wrong routes too, which caused ints. Defense all I remember is it sucked, we had a rookie named Dunlap that barely got playing time. Only bright spot on the defense I remember. Maybe we had Joseph too. Shipley, looked like he got pummeled every catch, and fans LOVED HIM.
Reply/Quote
We swept the whole north that year too, how in the heck did we end up with only 10 wins in 09.losing Henry was a devastating loss to us on offense.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 02:16 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: 2010 was also a year when the o-line looked inexplicably bad, but the problems were more numerous and severe.  Horrid pass blocking, two receivers that were shells of their former selves, a QB with no mobility, poor rb play(Benson fell off and Scott was never good), and an OC who had been figured out by the entire league.  The offense seemed like it was built to implode.  Even with the o-line woes, this year's team looks better than the 2010 team.  Bodine or Ogbuehi now > 2010 Nate Livings.  The guy was absolutely putrid.  

But....but....but Piano Man got "Nasty" Nate a big contract in Dallas.  Just ask the Ludwig Van Alexander fan club !

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 11:34 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I will admit I have followed this team much more closely and in depth since 2011 then I did before, probably because that's the year I became semi-retired/********.

Those teams had Ocho who wanted to be traded, demanded to be traded after 2007 season and Carson who demanded to be traded after 2010 season.  Keeping Ocho who wanted to be traded was not good on Mike Browns part.  Before 2008, I would have got him out of here as he put the team down every day.   Why would you want players that don't want to be here ?....Picking up Owens to go with Ocho was so over rated. Both had seen there better days and were at the end.  It was the Over The Hill Gang Rides Again.  The best thing this team did was say good bye to TO, Ocho and trade Carson to Oakland.  Best move they ever made. 

This team is not going to win only 4 games.  This team since 2011 on is about TEAM and about NO QUIT...When this team was 3-5 in 2012 and went on to the play-offs, that is what the new Bengals do....Bengals are 2-3 and they may go to 2-4, but like 2012, I look for this team to have NO QUIT and come back from this. I really do.  The start of the schedule is the hardest for some reason this year,  Injuries are holding us back also....I look for the Bengals to at least win 8 or 9 games, but hopefully get rolling and win 10 and get back in the play-offs. 2012 showed me these Bengals have NO QUIT. .....Oh, people will give up on them as they did in 2012.  I didn't in 2012 and I won't in 2016.  Wins are coming, the cards are going to start falling our way. ......IF Bengals win at New England, THAT WOULD BE HUGE....Hey, Any Given Sunday...
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 05:38 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: We swept the whole north that year too, how in the heck did we end up with only 10 wins in 09.losing Henry was a devastating loss to us on offense.

Still trying to replace him....no vertical threat to take the top off the defense. 
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 08:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Still trying to replace him....no vertical threat to take the top off the defense. 

We have one in Green, just not another to compliment that when he is taken out of the equation.  That guy now plays for the Detroit Lions.
Reply/Quote
We've played and lost to 3 teams that will likely win their division and a 4th in the Patriots. That is exposing a lot of weaknesses.

Our roster and coaching staff is not as good as last year.

Quite simply put, this happens in the NFL. Look at the Panthers. They went 15-1 last year and this year they start 1-4.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 10:05 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: We have one in Green, just not another to compliment that when he is taken out of the equation.  That guy now plays for the Detroit Lions.

I will re-phrase.  Green is already drawing doubles or playing against a high safety.  We don't have a vertical option that can stretch the field on the opposite side of Green, which would both draw coverage away from Green and open up the underneath.   I wanted Wallace before, but I would say now just to start mixing in some of Cody Core. 
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 06:14 AM)kevin Wrote: .....IF Bengals win at New England, THAT WOULD BE HUGE....Hey, Any Given Sunday...

I just read this article on LaFell.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/LaFell-Bengals-on-to-New-England/3991c29e-5350-4c50-b672-1eb4b23ecba3

Will I watch  the game Sunday and root for the Bengals?  Absolutely!

Do I think they can win in New England?  No  ....  but  ....

in the unlikely event that they find a way to win Sunday, that definitely would be a true statement game and keep the season on life support!!

Will it happen?  Franchise history of both teams tell me no way ...  but I also never thought in my wildest dreams, after being embarrassed by the Browns, AT HOME, in 2014, that the Bengals would go to New Orleans and win, and win convincingly! 

Bottom line;  they didn't have the same woes in 2014 that they have today.
Reply/Quote
Here are the end-season records of the teams we faced in 2010:

14-2
12-4
2-14
5-11
10-6
13-3
7-9
12-4
10-6
4-12
11-5
11-5
12-4
5-11
9-7
12-4

total 149-107

Don't get me wrong, we lost to some of the stanky teams on that list too, but we either faced teams that were really bad or really good. Lordy, half our games were against teams that had 11 or more wins. Ouch. Also, the luck from 2009 ran out, Benson and the defense regressed, and you can see things were doomed before you even bring our passing game into the equation.
Reply/Quote

No it was what it is now, coaching..
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2016, 06:10 PM)GodFather Wrote: No it was what it is now, coaching..

You don't even understand the question.

We had the same coaches in '09 and '10.  So how could the coaches account for the difference between the two seasons?
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2016, 08:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You don't even understand the question.

We had the same coaches in '09 and '10.  So how could the coaches account for the difference between the two seasons?

They can't.  We overachieved in 2009 and that same team was given a schedule that no amount of "having Lavernius Coles instead of TO" could have saved.

(10-12-2016, 06:14 AM)kevin Wrote: Those teams had Ocho who wanted to be traded, demanded to be traded after 2007 season and Carson who demanded to be traded after 2010 season.  Keeping Ocho who wanted to be traded was not good on Mike Browns part.  Before 2008, I would have got him out of here as he put the team down every day.   Why would you want players that don't want to be here ?....Picking up Owens to go with Ocho was so over rated. Both had seen there better days and were at the end.  It was the Over The Hill Gang Rides Again.  The best thing this team did was say good bye to TO, Ocho and trade Carson to Oakland.  Best move they ever made. 

Methinks this is some revisionist history.  I recall everyone being quite amazed and enthused at how rejuvenated and gleeful Carson looked during his first game sans Chad and TO when our team that couldn't beat a 4-12 team managed to beat the crap out of the Chargers who were playing for their playoff lives.  We had visions of Carson and Jerome Simpson being the next decent connection around here and a 4 TD performance to base it on.  Gee, 2011 could be pretty ok after all!

Marvin caves on his demands, Carson demands a trade and we decide Carson was one of the big reasons we were awful all year.  Marvin and Benson were the reasons we stunk until we kept them, so conveniently the guys who wouldn't be back just happened to be the only ones on the hook for a 4-12 season.  So it goes.  I mean, we went 9-7 in 2011 so all was well.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2016, 08:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We overachieved in 2009 

This.

Our offense had an O-line with three undrafted free agents that had never started before, no receiving threat at TE (Danial Coats, J.P. Foschi), no receiving threat at RB (Benson), and 2 WRs that could not beat single coverage (Caldwell, Coles).

It was a miracle we went 10-6.
Reply/Quote
Owens killed our lockerroom chemistry to the point where the team could not focus anymore. Look at the final three games of that year where we beat the Chargers ( who were #1 in total offense and defense) , Browns, and we took a good Baltimore team to its limit all without TO. Also we should have played both Geno and Dunlap more that year.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote