Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Was A Great Year
(02-23-2016, 12:02 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: and we retained the best coach in regular season history..  Wink

here you have it folks, mediocrity at it's best!

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 12:02 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: and we retained the best coach in regular season history..  Wink

Pretty positive a .543 winning percentage isn't "best".

There are 64 people who have been a head coach for at least 10 seasons in NFL history. Marvin Lewis' win percentage places him at 40th place.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 06:54 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pretty positive a .543 winning percentage isn't "best".

There are 64 people who have been a head coach for at least 10 seasons in NFL history. Marvin Lewis' win percentage places him at 40th place.

bengal history.. duh....  Rock On
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 06:54 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pretty positive a .543 winning percentage isn't "best".

Marvin is 34th all time in wins in the NFL if he has 10 wins this year moves up close to top 25 all time.. and he is 64th in winning percentage all time.. 10 wins this year will move him up to around 59th all time.. he is tied 28th all time in playoff appearances.. if Bengals make it this year will move into the top 20 all time..... even with 0-7 in the playoffs.. when you add his resume up.. not a bad resume at all when you compare him all time with other NFL coaches
Reply/Quote

Only 27 coaches in the history of the NFL have both more wins and a higher winning percentage than Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 11:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only 27 coaches in the history of the NFL have both more wins and a higher winning percentage than Marvin.

Marvin Lewis is also the only coach in NFL history to lose his first 7 playoff games. No coach has ever done that.

Lewis and Jim Mora are the only 2 coaches that lost more than their first 3 playoff games.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 11:53 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Marvin Lewis is also the only coach in NFL history to lose his first 7 playoff games. No coach has ever done that.

Lewis and Jim Mora are the only 2 coaches that lost more than their first 3 playoff games.

you are correct  but those 7 playoff games do not overshadow a fine overall career as a head coach.. what he has accomplished as a head coach outweighs what he has not accomplished.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2016, 01:49 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: you are correct  but those 7 playoff games do not overshadow a fine overall career as a head coach.. what he has accomplished as a head coach outweighs what he has not accomplished.

Those 7 playoff games, all the primetime games, all the Steeler games.

If you exclude ALL of those, he's great. Ninja

Forgotten fact: Marvin Lewis was a .500 coach coming into 2014. He was 90-90-1, all time. (Postseason included) That was even after back-to-back winning seasons that couldn't bring him above .500

11 years and he was .500 with zero postseason wins.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2016, 01:49 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: you are correct  but those 7 playoff games do not overshadow a fine overall career as a head coach.. what he has accomplished as a head coach outweighs what he has not accomplished.

He brought the Bengals out of the dark ages. And that's a great thing.

He has done nothing since. He's put together great teams. But still 0 playoff wins.

There are 18 NFL coaches that have more than 7 losses in their career. 12 of them have at least 1 NFL Chmaptionship title. 8 won at least one Super Bowl.

His playoff stats do overshadow his career, because that is his career. He is the losingest coach in NFL playoff history.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2016, 03:55 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: His playoff stats do overshadow his career, because that is his career. He is the losingest coach in NFL playoff history.

This kind of talk is silly.

Dom Capers won a playoff game, but he would give his right leg to trade his career (.375 winning percentage...only one winning season in 8 years) for Marvin's.

In fact there are a lot of coaches who would trade their careers fore a .543 winning percentage and seven playoff appearances.
Reply/Quote
Pretty much Marvin Lewis...

Get the inspiring music, think something impressive is going to happen, and then BAM. He remembers he's Marvin Lewis. Mediocre.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2016, 03:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This kind of talk is silly.

Dom Capers won a playoff game, but he would give his right leg to trade his career (.375 winning percentage...only one winning season in 8 years) for Marvin's.

In fact there are a lot of coaches who would trade their careers fore a .543 winning percentage and seven playoff appearances.

How is it silly? Marvin Lewis is the losingest coach in NFL playoff history.

Marvin has a good winning percentage in the regular season. No one is denying that.

But part of his legacy is the fact that he is the losingest coach in the playoffs. He is 0-7. Only one other coach was worse than 0-3 in the playoffs in the history in the NFL, and Marvin surpassed him.

He's done well in the regular season. Terrible in the playoffs. Not a single win in 7 tries. There's no excuse why there hasn't been at least one playoff win.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2016, 02:40 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Those 7 playoff games, all the primetime games, all the Steeler games.

If you exclude ALL of those, he's great. Ninja

Forgotten fact: Marvin Lewis was a .500 coach coming into 2014. He was 90-90-1, all time. (Postseason included) That was even after back-to-back winning seasons that couldn't bring him above .500

11 years and he was .500 with zero postseason wins.

i don't think I said Marvin was a great coach, though you are wrong if you are saying he has not been a good coach and has enjoyed much more success than many other NFL coaches over time.   Wink
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2016, 04:55 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: How is it silly? Marvin Lewis is the losingest coach in NFL playoff history.

Marvin has a good winning percentage in the regular season. No one is denying that.

But part of his legacy is the fact that he is the losingest coach in the playoffs. He is 0-7. Only one other coach was worse than 0-3 in the playoffs in the history in the NFL, and Marvin surpassed him.

He's done well in the regular season. Terrible in the playoffs. Not a single win in 7 tries. There's no excuse why there hasn't been at least one playoff win.

I am not really sure what point you are trying to makw here

Are you really trying to argue that a coach that was 0-1 in the playoffs for his career had a BETTER career than Marvin?

You thionk it is better to not make the playoffs at all than to make the playoffs and lose?
Reply/Quote
It was the best regular season I've seen as a Bengals fan. Enjoyed it until Andy went down.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2016, 08:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote:  The most positive thing I can say about how it ended is that they finally showed some fight. Our big players (Geno, Dunlap, Burfict, Green, Hill, Pacman, etc) all made plays. In the other 4 games we didn't see that at all.

Exactly. Watching the turn of tides was the best thing i have witnessed. I got to say its almost as good as winning the damn super bowl, Almost! we are witnessing a new life being breathed into this team. THis here is the shit you grow old and tell your grandkids about.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 01:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  
I am not really sure what point you are trying to makw here

Are you really trying to argue that a coach that was 0-1 in the playoffs for his career had a BETTER career than Marvin?

You thionk it is better to not make the playoffs at all than to make the playoffs and lose?

Never said that. Don't twist words into a narrative that was never mentioned.

But also, what was my point? I said it in the second sentence: "Marvin Lewis is the losingest coach in NFL playoff history."

I said playoff career, not overall. Pay attention to keywords my friend.

A coach that had 7 chances to get a win and gets zero.
A coach gets one chance to get a playoff win and gets zero.

That's what we're discussing right now, not regular season. No NFL coach in the history of the league has gone 0-7 in the playoffs besides Marvin Lewis. This is also Pre-Super Bowl.

Reply/Quote
Apparently the league and many many players disagree with those of you who think Marvin is a terrible coach. Personally I like having Marvin as our head coach and if that puts me in the minority I'm fine with that.
He gets his great assistant coaches snagged out from under him regularly and it's not because he's a lousy head coach. If he was the lousy coach many of you claim his assistant coaches would never so much as get sniffed as head coaches, but here it is every few years Marvin has to go find new assistants to pick up where the others left to go use what Marvin teaches them.
You can focus all day long about playoff wins and losses, but without the regular season games those playoff games never happen.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 10:50 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I said playoff career, not overall. Pay attention to keywords my friend.

You said his playoff record overshadowed his regular season career success.  Don't try to deny that, my friend.

Which head coach had a better career?  One that went 1-1 in the playoffs or one that went 0-7?
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 09:41 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Exactly. Watching the turn of tides was the best thing i have witnessed. I got to say its almost as good as winning the damn super bowl, Almost! we are witnessing a new life being breathed into this team. THis here is the shit you grow old and tell your grandkids about.

And hopefully we pick up another thumper or two in this draft.  Time to change the culture from talented and wimpy to mentally and physically smart and tough.  To be the intimidators instead of the intimidated.

I listen to Hines Ward teeing off on Burfict's hit ("he (Brown) could have been seriously hurt) and I think to myself - that's the first time I've every really heard him whine.   Is he - and the other Steelers - starting to feel a little intimidated?

And most of the Bengals said nothing.   Hopefully Adam and Tez will think about that.    Say nothing and kick the snot out of them on the field.
Reply/Quote