Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2015 - an 8 and 0 start - #1 in the Power Rankings – Mike & Marvin’s Peak time
(02-09-2018, 12:22 PM)depthchart Wrote: Giving Marvin the Steeler game that he was oh so close on would have killed the "no playoff win" chants.

People have a right to make those chants but in my mind it oversimplifies a bigger issue.

The same people can chant the same "no playoff win" chants about Dalton, yet Dalton didn't even get to play in the playoffs with what would have been his best team in 2015. Marvin without Dalton for his 2015 team.

I see things more in Ranges.

Say a Range of Aptitude for Mike & Marvin.

7 to 10 wins with 11 to 12 possible in the Regular Season. (12 and 4 in 2015)

In my mind, teams that win 10 to 12 games in a Regular season are more than capable of winning a Playoff game.

It would not surprise me one bit if Mike & Marvin win a Playoff game within the next two years because they have been on that Bubble quite often. The chanters imply it to be an impossibility and that the 2015 team even with a healthy Dalton was incapable.

I see a glimmer of Hope here but Mike & Marvin's Range of Aptitude may not extend much beyond say getting that controversial Playoff win someday.

So in short, I think they can build a Playoff game winning team someday and had at least two in the past that were capable. (2015 & Palmer/Henry team)

I am not as hopeful that their Range of Aptitude would extend much beyond a Playoff win or maybe even two, however.

They do not go for it enough with personnel moves to go much further than that and Marvin may not be in the caliber of many of the successful playoff coaches he competes against.

I am trying to dial in a Range of what may be hoped for in a realistic way while having 0 and 7 chanters in my ear.

I don't include you as a chanter. I have found you to be very realistic.

Like I said man...would coulda shoulda. We're going into year 16 for Marv and year 27 for Mike. They are what they've been. 

I appreciate the attempt at offering hope, but I'm way past tricking myself into believing in the guys up top. I respect that some need that fuel to keep their fandom going. I don't. I'm more of a "lets call a duck a duck and talk realistically about what the team can do to overcome those shortcomings" type. 

In 7 attempts, Marv should've lucked into a playoff W...and he almost did against the Steelers, but even in that game I didn't see any reason to believe this team could go on a run. The defense finally showed, but the offense was abysmal for the 7th time in 7 trips with 4 different QBs, 3 different OC's, and many different faces at other spots. Marvin can't get a good offensive showing to save his life. 

This is why I wanted an offensive guy...but here we are. If we get the line fixed, I can see 8-11 wins...and a swift playoff embarrassment. No reasons to believe otherwise.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 12:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: How many mentions of 0-7 get posted here per day?

If it doesn't happen much then you don't have to worry about seeing your quote brought up very often, do you?

This is an online reading comprehension course:

https://www.openlearning.com/courses/readingcomprehension

I suggest you take it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 02:47 PM)McC Wrote: This is an online reading comprehension course:

https://www.openlearning.com/courses/readingcomprehension

I suggest you take it.

Thank you so much.  After reading that and then reading this comment by you...

(02-09-2018, 09:19 PM)McC Wrote: They mean nothing.  Ancient history.  Might as well be a hundred years ago, Geoff.

I have concluded that you believe that Marvin's 0-7 record in the playoffs is meaningless.

As far as I can tell your coment can't mean anything other than that.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 05:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Thank you so much.  After reading that and then reading this comment by you...

I have concluded that you believe that Marvin's 0-7 record in the playoffs is meaningless.

As far as I can tell your coment can't mean anything other than that.

Allow me to correct your faulty connection here.   The 0-7 is the exact reason why his trips to the playoffs are meaningless.  Unless what you're after is anger, sadness, dashed hopes, that is.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 07:22 PM)McC Wrote: Allow me to correct your faulty connection here.   The 0-7 is the exact reason why his trips to the playoffs are meaningless.  Unless what you're after is anger, sadness, dashed hopes, that is.

In other words...

If we are talking about anything positive (Division Titles, playoff appearances) then they are meaningless.

But if we are talking about anything bad (playoff losses) then that is all that matters and basically can be used to  prove that every single decision ever made by the Bengals is wrong.

Got it.   ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 12:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But if we are talking about anything bad (playoff losses) then that is all that matters and basically can be used to  prove that every single decision ever made by the Bengals is wrong.

Got it.   ThumbsUp

Glad you're finally coming around.

Step into the light Fred, step toward the light.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Suppose mother happiness falls on the Bengals this season and they actually win the SB.. I can already envision the arguments that g-dammit it took 51 freaking years! ...not to mention all the squeeler fans screaming it was rigged.. It might be worth it just for those bitter tears of squeelerdom.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 02:20 PM)grampahol Wrote: Suppose mother happiness falls on the Bengals this season and they actually win the SB.. I can already envision the arguments that g-dammit it took 51 freaking years! ...not to mention all the squeeler fans screaming it was rigged.. It might be worth it just for those bitter tears of squeelerdom.. 

If we win a SB? I don't care what any steeler fan has to say. It will be our year and no pissing allowed.

Reply/Quote
So what? One year the Seahawks finished 7-9 and still won a playoff game
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 02:20 PM)grampahol Wrote: Suppose mother happiness falls on the Bengals this season and they actually win the SB.. I can already envision the arguments that g-dammit it took 51 freaking years! ...not to mention all the squeeler fans screaming it was rigged.. It might be worth it just for those bitter tears of squeelerdom.. 

I don't think a single Eagles fan cares what any Cowboys, Redskins, Giants, or Patriots fan has to say right now.

And if the Bengals win the Super Bowl, you sure as ever know I'm not gonna care what any other fan has to say.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 02:26 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: If we win a SB? I don't care what any steeler fan has to say. It will be our year and no pissing allowed.
I dunno there. The streets of Cincinnati might be flooded with yellow liquid if we win the SB.. Just lemonade of course  ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 12:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In other words...

If we are talking about anything positive (Division Titles, playoff appearances) then they are meaningless.

But if we are talking about anything bad (playoff losses) then that is all that matters and basically can be used to  prove that every single decision ever made by the Bengals is wrong.

Got it.   ThumbsUp

Let me put it this way--

Losing every playoff game cancels out any of the positive from getting into the playoffs.  Those playoff appearances became almost a taunt.  We made the playoffs but everyone in their right mind knows what the inevitable outcome will be and always was.

That is the exact complexion of Marvin's career.  He has managed to negate every good thing with bad things.  Hey, he's made the playoffs seven times.  But hey, he's blundered to a loss in each one of them, often in maddening fashion.  Hell, the best team he has had here had the most mind numbing, most agonizing, most gut wrenching loss of all.

You really don't see the pattern?

No, every decision made by the Bengals is not wrong.  They get a few things right--smaller things, usually.  But at every fork in the road, with a fifty/fifty shot at being right, they have managed to take the wrong fork almost every time.  Their consistency in this regard defies logic, the odds and the law of averages.

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2018, 12:32 PM)dnkw Wrote: Was the O-line really even that good during the playoff seasons? I do not particularly remember it dominating anyone (certainly not from a rushing perspective).

And 2015 wasn't its fairly decent rating inflated due to Dalton getting rid of the ball quickly?

I would be interested to see how this team might progress with a genuinely good OL.

It was a lot better than it has been the last few years that is for sure. 2005 we had a very good O-line.

Dalton has always been great at getting the ball out quickly, but he still got sacked like crazy the last few years.

Also, McNally was a consultant for the O-line in 2015 which really helped it seemed.

So happy we moved on from PA and brought in a guy like Frank Pollack, cause like you said it should be interesting
if we have a genuinely good Offensive Line. Need to make a move or two in FA though.

Ogbuehi and Bodine just aren't good and i fear never will be even with a good O-line coach.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 03:37 PM)McC Wrote: Hell, the best team he has had here had the most mind numbing, most agonizing, most gut wrenching loss of all.

You really don't see the pattern?

Yes I see the pattern, but as Taylor Swift said..

In the fell clutch of circumstance
      I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
      My head is bloody, but unbowed.

It matters not how strait the gate,
      How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
      I am the captain of my soul.
Reply/Quote
Quoting Taylor Swift...

It be bad people...
Reply/Quote