Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 Cincinnati Reds season thread
Time to give up on the BHam experiment. He's not going to hit major league pitching worth a hoot and they just don't have roster space to keep his liability at the top of the lineup or even at the bottom. It's fine that he's a great fielder and is fast and all, but he has to get on base and he just doesn't do that often enough. Nice that he hit A home run, but he needs to just put the ball in play instead of trying to knock the hell out of the ball..and SO WHAT that he ran around the bases so fast when he could have just barely trotted..
Bullpen is a joke and the starters aren't going to go 9 innings every day.
I'm losing my enthusiasm or maybe I just don't get to watch them often enough here in SC..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 07:41 PM)grampahol Wrote: Time to give up on the BHam experiment. He's not going to hit major league pitching worth a hoot and they just don't have roster space to keep his liability at the top of the lineup or even at the bottom. It's fine that he's a great fielder and is fast and all, but he has to get on base and he just doesn't do that often enough.  Nice that he hit A home run, but he needs to just put the ball in play instead of trying to knock the hell out of the ball..and SO WHAT that he ran around the bases so fast when he could have just barely trotted..
Bullpen is a joke and the starters aren't going to go 9 innings every day.
I'm losing my enthusiasm or maybe I just don't get to watch them often enough here in SC..

Agree, if Hamilton can't learn a shorter, easier, swing and keep the ball on the ground he's doomed. He has no chance to be a power/gap hitter. He has to learn to slash and stab, bunt, be patient and take walks. All that speed does no good walking back to the dugout after popping out while trying to drive the ball.
Reply/Quote
Reds could use a good outing by Iglesias tonight for 2 reasons....Not to get swept by Cubs.....and since Simon started and didn't even get through the first inning, the bullpen got a workout last night. Need a pitcher to go deeper so we have a fresh bullpen for St Louis this weekend.......Reds are now 2-3 against NL Central, so a win tonight gets them to at least 3-3 against Pirates and Cubs. ......When a starter doesn't even give you one single inning, you better pray the next starter eats innings and helps that bullpen.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2016, 07:41 PM)grampahol Wrote: Time to give up on the BHam experiment. He's not going to hit major league pitching worth a hoot and they just don't have roster space to keep his liability at the top of the lineup or even at the bottom. It's fine that he's a great fielder and is fast and all, but he has to get on base and he just doesn't do that often enough. 

So frustrating.

He hit .250 as a rookie and then got much worse.

This year is a throw away anyway so I give him the rest of the season to improve.  But if can't get his OB% up to at least .330 range it is time to move on.
Reply/Quote
Did anyone hear the screaching sound of wheels falling off the train? The Reds are just one tanker car short of a total catastrophe and the entire city burning in flames.. Good thing they don't have cabooses anymore or more railroad workers would die..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
It's not much but I might go watch the Columbia Fireflies here in Columbia SC.. Mets A ball club..They have a new stadium anyway..
That's the extent of my excitement for the season other than finish putting my new workbench together..Got one last motise to chop then I start on laminating the top together.. That's IF I can manage to miss my fingers with the chisel the rest of the way..

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2016, 04:12 AM)grampahol Wrote: It's not much but I might go watch the Columbia Fireflies here in Columbia SC.. Mets A ball club..They have a new stadium anyway..
That's the extent of my excitement for the season other than finish putting my new workbench together..Got one last motise to chop then I start on laminating the top together.. That's IF I can manage to miss my fingers with the chisel the rest of the way..

If you are in it this year for wins and losses, you are going to be disappointed.  I just want to watch the youngsters and see how they do.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
The upside is they did get innings from the starter last night, much needed after Simon didn't get out of the first inning the night before. That helps with St Louis next 3 games. .....I might point out the Cubs have probably the best pitching staff in MLB.  I was hoping I could get them in MLB Fantasy Leagues, but 2 of my teams got Houston and 1 got St Louis. ...I was really hoping for Cubs, they are loaded.  USA Today picks Cubs to win the most games in MLB this year with over 100.  They not only have pitching, but they can flat out hit, and they have Madden in his second year there.  Tampa was a last place team before Madden and for him to win in division with Yankees, Red Sox, Blue Jays, Orioles is amazing. He is a Sparky Anderson that gives Cubs the best chance of winning first World Series in over 100 years. ......So before we say the Reds stink, lets give the Cubs some credit.....Reds did beat Phillies and Pirates. ....Maybe Reds can do better against the Cardinals than the Cubs. .....Reds are 2-1 as far as I'm concerned, because I look at who won the series.  

So getting those starter innings last night to make up for Simon stinking it up was huge. That helps the bullpen and gives them a shot at Cardinals.  Reds are 2-1 in series play. If they beat Cardinals, 3-1 would be a good start to season.  We may have to live with fact that Cubs are pretty good this year.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Baseball has so much to do with luck. That is why even the worst team in MLB will win way over a third of their games. that doesn't happen in any other sport.

perfect example last night. I was nit watching the game, but I would flip over during commercial breaks to see what was happening. One time I checked in and Votto was up with two out and two on. He ripped a line drive, but it was straight at the second baseman. That was early in the game when it was still close. One big hit in a situation like that can change a whole game, and 90% of the time when he rips the ball like that it is a base hit.
Reply/Quote
Lol the Reds are terrible
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2016, 11:19 PM)Trademark Wrote: Lol the Reds are terrible

There is one positive thing about this season.

They are so bad they are pretty much troll proof.
Reply/Quote
Look on the bright side of things..Maybe every hitter will hit over 400 this season..or not.. They will certainly have to if they're going to win the division..pitchers included..
Pitching ain't gonna win any prizes..

Reply/Quote
Reds throwing more batting practice today. Already down 4-0 in the 2nd inning.

They have a AAA pitching staff, but there is no one in the minors to replace these guys if they start releasing them.  

Hopefully some of the 5 pitchers on the disabled list right now can return and help as the season progresses.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2016, 03:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Reds throwing more batting practice today. Already down 4-0 in the 2nd inning.

9-8 come from behind win by the Reds.

Good job.
Reply/Quote
A win by the Reds today takes the St Louis series and puts the Reds at 3-1 on the season on series play....A loss puts them at 2-2 of course, not great but not horrible. ....OK, they lost to the Cubs, who USA Today picked to win over 100 games, the only team they picked to do that. ....A win today would be huge in starting the first 2 weeks 3-1 in series play with wins over Pirates and Cardinals.  GO REDS ......I still say winning a series from St Louis now counts as much as a series win in September. All these games count, so GO REDS TODAY.....Pirates beat Cardinals and then Reds beat Pirates, so a Reds win today against Cardinals could happen if Reds pitchers and hitters have a good day.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I keep thinking that if I ignore the Reds for a few days I'll log in to see them on some torrid winning streak. It's kind of like buying lottery tickets. Eventually one of those scratch off tickets will hit for $2 and all my troubles will be over..lol

Reply/Quote
Our bullpen is complete shit...

2 home runs in the 8th inning. Was 1-1, now 5-1.

This game is over.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2016, 10:21 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Our bullpen is complete shit...

2 home runs in the 8th inning. Was 1-1, now 5-1.

This game is over.

Yep

It's still early no doubt, but it's beginning to seem this bullpen needs retooling already. I was hoping we'd see a new Hoover but that hope is fading fast. Perhaps when we get a couple of the injured guys back things will change ?
Reply/Quote
The hitting future looks bright with youngsters Suarez, Duvall, and Schebler already in the bigs plus Winker and Peraza coming up as early as late this year. Winker and Peraza are top-of-the-order hitters, so that will help.

A future lineup of the following looks promising:
Peraza, 2B
Winker, OF
Votto, 1B
Suarez, 3B
Mesoraco, C
Cozart, SS
Duvall/Schebler, OF
P
Hamilton, OF

Same can be said for starting pitching...Reed and Stephenson are close to being ready for the bigs. The future starting rotation could be (in no particular order):
Desclafani
Bailey
Iglesias
Stephenson
Reed
(Lamb as 6th and fill in for injuries)

The big issue will continue to be relief pitching, as the Reds have a pretty mediocre set of RPs.
However, this may be improved if/when Lorenzen and Finnegan get moved to the bullpen.
Keury Mella could be in the majors within a couple years, improving the bullpen further.
At that point, the Reds would just need to make a couple pickups and/or trades to get some quality RPs to round out the bullpen and the Reds could compete.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Given a 1-4 lead with only 2 outs remaining, Hoover still manages to almost blow the game haha.

I don't know what to say about that guy. Epic levels of bad.

Stephenson, however, looked like a star.
Reply/Quote