Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 Cincinnati Reds season thread
5 stolen bases in one inning. It's the little things we have to look for.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2016, 11:17 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Given a 1-4 lead with only 2 outs remaining, Hoover still manages to almost blow the game haha.

I don't know what to say about that guy. Epic levels of bad.

Stephenson, however, looked like a star.

Hoover is hard to figure.  He has had some good years, but right now he is looking more like '14 Hoover than '12, '13, and '15 Hoover.

But even in his good years he did not look like a closer.
Reply/Quote
WTF is up with Votto hitting .190.

I had questions about pretty much everyone except Votto coming into this season. Just can't figure out baseball players sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 10:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: WTF is up with Votto hitting .190.

I had questions about pretty much everyone except Votto coming into this season.  Just can't figure out baseball players sometimes.

Unless he's hurt, he will be fine.  Hitters move in and out of the zone.  It's a lot mental, and sometimes you just feel it.  You anticipate what pitch is coming, you seem to see it better.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Hoover was never a closer and I have no idea what makes Price thinks he is or ever will be. Every other season he falls apart then comes back the following season and pitches great. They should have traded him when he was pitching great and got some real prospects for him.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 10:57 AM)grampahol Wrote: Hoover was  never a closer and I have no idea what makes Price thinks he is or ever will be. Every other season he falls apart then comes back the following season and pitches great. They should have traded him when he was pitching great and got some real prospects for him.

I don't know that Price thinks he's a closer, but neither is anyone else on that staff.  Maybe they should just treat closer as any other inning. Matchups and who is hottest.

Reply/Quote
If we dont have a closer in our system, then maybe Bruce or BP could fetch one.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 01:19 PM)Goalpost Wrote: If we dont have a closer in our system, then maybe Bruce or BP could fetch one.

Closer by committee would be best choice. If we trade Bruce or BP it should be for position player prospects. This team is not going to compete this year, the starting pitching just is not there yet. You don't need a lockdown closer for a club that will lose around 90 games. Thats the kind of trade I think we make when the team looks more like a near finished product.
Reply/Quote

I had questions about pretty much everyone except Votto coming into this season.  Just can't figure out baseball players sometimes.

If you were to put up the following BAs and you were told they belonged to Votto Phillips, and Bruce, would you be able to match them correctly?

If I knew of each player's trends the past few years but didn't actually watch games this year, I'd definitely not be able to get them correct lol
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 10:39 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Unless he's hurt, he will be fine.  Hitters move in and out of the zone.  It's a lot mental, and sometimes you just feel it.  You anticipate what pitch is coming, you seem to see it better.  

Yep.  He has been too good for too long to suddenly fall off a cliff.  But it is still pretty frustrating.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 02:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If you were to put up the following BAs and you were told they belonged to Votto Phillips, and Bruce, would you be able to match them correctly?

If I knew of each player's trends the past few years but didn't actually watch games this year, I'd definitely not be able to get them correct lol

Bruce is doing an excellent job of hitting to the opposit field against the shift.  This could be a very good year for him.
Reply/Quote
Reds are 3-2 in series play, not bad....Cubs up next. ......I added Cozart as back-up SS to some of my Fantasy Teams. He was out there to be picked up.... batting over .400, that will drop but he is going to get his innings due to his defense.  I also added Phillips as a back-up 2nd on at least 1 team that needed back-up 2nd.  I'm waiting for Devin to start going, because many dropped him and he is out there. If he starts looking All-Star and back from his injury, I won't wait until others grab him. He is an injury player that I need to look more at his last 7 games stats than his 2016 stats......I just think it's good to grab Cozart as a back-up player if he is a free agent in Fantasy, unless injury-he is going to get his innings.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Votto was very underwhelming before the All-Star break last year. Now after he was one of the best in all of baseball.  And if I'm not mistaken he had a pretty slow start in 2014, I hope he can contribute before mid season this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 11:02 AM)michaelsean Wrote:   Maybe they should just treat closer as any other inning.  Matchups and who is hottest.

(04-20-2016, 01:24 PM)pdub2005 Wrote: Closer by committee would be best choice. 

http://m.reds.mlb.com/news/article/173421502/reds-to-go-with-closer-by-committee

Reds manager Bryan Price slept on it Tuesday night and thought about it some more on Wednesday before deciding to make a change at the closer's spot. J.J. Hoover is no longer locked in as the team's closer and Price will use a closer-by-committee method.

Thre idea is sound, but the committee is still going to suck.  Instead of one bad closer we will have a bunch of bad closers.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2016, 02:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bruce is doing an excellent job of hitting to the opposit field against the shift.  This could be a very good year for him.

The new batting coach is having a great effect on him.  He just looks better at the plate.  And beating the shift is huge.  He's got MVP talent.  It's always been a matter of sustaining it.  Even in his best years, he still had the awful valleys.   If he puts it together for a whole year, it could be something to see.

He was really close to gone too.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 12:19 PM)McC Wrote: The new batting coach is having a great effect on him.  He just looks better at the plate.  And beating the shift is huge.  He's got MVP talent.  It's always been a matter of sustaining it.  Even in his best years, he still had the awful valleys.   If he puts it together for a whole year, it could be something to see.

He was really close to gone too.  

Right on !

Bruce has had months right up there with the best to ever play the game. Problem is the following month he'll go .164 with 1 HR and 3 RBI's.

If he could raise the floor just to middle of the road like you say it would be something to see.
Reply/Quote
How is our pitching soooo bad, when the Reds have drafted and traded for nothing but pitchers for 3 years and the manager is a pitching coach by trade?
Reply/Quote
No no is inevitable now. The strike zone is the size of Yadier Molina's mama's snizz.
Reply/Quote
Maybe the lowest moment in Reds history.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2016, 11:10 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Maybe the lowest moment in Reds history.

Don't you remember the 90's??!! Oh wait, wrong Cincinnati pro sport.
Reply/Quote