Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 Cincinnati Reds season thread
(04-22-2016, 09:45 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This Bullpen is something else haha. Who are these players?

[Image: majorleague.jpg]

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
38 runs in 4 games. I think that's above the average league wide.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
So Reds are 3-3 in series play this year.....Not great but not 0-6 either.  ....2 series losses were to Cubs, who USA TODAY picked to win 100 games this year.  I could see it going in that I wished I could get the Cubs pitching staff in MLB Fantasy Draft, I did not.  2 of my 3 teams do have White Sox pitching great, so Chicago teams are pitching loaded....Cubs have all those hitters also. ...This just might be the World Series team Cubs Fans have waited over 100 years for.....Reds at 3-3 to start isn't all that bad considering.

Reds pitching was doing great at first, but is going back near bottom where it was predicted to be.  Maybe on Lou's stops in this season, the team will pick up a little more than with just Price around.  The team started well after Lou had been here. Maybe Homer can return and help. Maybe Votto can start hitting. Maybe Mesoraco can stat hitting. Maybe Hamilton...well, a lot of Maybe's.  I don't see them beating out the Cubs, but avoiding last place or 100 losses would be nice. 

Going east to New York and Pittsburg to end April could just put Reds at 3- 5 in series play for the month.  Going 4-4 in April would be amazing. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Reds pitching staff on pace to not just break the record, but shatter it by almost 25%. At the current rate the Reds will give up 299 HRs which would break the old record by 58.

I know it is very early, and they probably won't give up 299, but the record is definitely possible.
Reply/Quote
Finnegan and Colon both walked a batter in the 5th. For the Reds it was the 20th in the last 4 games. It was the Mets first.

And I know who can play Pablo Escobar in his chunkier days.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 09:58 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Finnegan and Colon both walked a batter in the 5th.  For the Reds it was the 20th in the last 4 games.  It was the Mets first.

And I know who can play Pablo Escobar in his chunkier days.

Reds pitching staff is dead last in walks allowed
Reply/Quote
And, they blew it..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The good news is, Cozart and Bruce should be traded soon and maybe they could bring back some bullpen help, a closer would be nice.
Reply/Quote
A closer is useless if you don't have a lead to protect.
Reply/Quote
God, I hate the fact that the Mets own the Reds.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2016, 06:28 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: God, I hate the fact that the Mets own the Reds.

Well, they were in the WS last year and the Reds are picked to lose 100 games, so it's not that much of a head scratcher.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2016, 09:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Reds pitching staff on pace to not just break the record, but shatter it by almost 25%.  At the current rate the Reds will give up 299 HRs which would break the old record by 58.

I know it is very early, and they probably won't give up 299, but the record is definitely possible.

Who had the previous record, Detroit?  It seems I remember in the 90s that Detroit set a record for HRs and HRs allowed.....or maybe it was runs scored and runs allowed in the same season.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
The Reds are who we thought they were
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
The only two starting pitchers I had just a remote feeling of comfort with are injured. DeSclafani is still struggling in Dayton and now Iglesias having problems with his shoulder.
Time to dig Nuxall up from the grave and use him as a starter..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
So, the Reds go 3-5 in series play the month of April. ...Suarez put up good hitting numbers in April and Cozart batted .361 in April.......Votto, Hamilton and Mesoraco stunk the place up in April. In all fairness to Mesoraco, he is trying to come back from that injury. Votto gets paid huge, so if he doesn't hit, it's going to kill the Reds on payroll as well as losses.

I see Iglesias is injured and still waiting for Homer to come back from DL.  ...and I see Hoover as the closer replacing Chapman has an ERA of 15.58....Melville and Simon really got clobbered as starters. Hoover and Sampson got lit up in relief.

Holt and Barhart are batting over .300, so Price may want to get them more playing time. I'm amazed they kept Price. The team has done nothing but lose since he took over. You would think his days are numbered if things don't turn around, maybe fired in mid season.  OK, maybe they got rid of some players, but what was his excuse before they cut payroll. This team won before Price. Maybe the Reds TV show is The Price Is Wrong. 

but, who knows, maybe in May they may turn it around.....Mr Big Payroll Votto needs to start hitting. He batted .229 in April, so people can't say that his power numbers are down but he bats .300....he isn't hitting for power or batting average at this point and possibly the highest paid flop in baseball in April.

I have seen teams turn it around after a bad April.....but since this team was picked by USA Today to lose around 100 games......well, at least they have the Pete Rose weekend late in June. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
The bullpen is incapable of throwing a scoreless inning. They have given up 3 leads in 3 innings.

Reply/Quote
Guess I reverse jinxed them.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 06:20 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Guess I reverse jinxed them.

Naw, they still suck.  Even a blind pig finds an acorn, every once in a while.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We lose tomorrow. Johnny Cueto pitching for the Giants unless he just feels sorry for us and decides to throw a 52 mph fastball all game..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Hey we won one !

Probably 50 more wins to go this season, woot woot.
Reply/Quote