Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 Free Agency Satisfaction?
So how is everyone's satisfaction level with free agency thus far? Sure we lost two receivers, but it wasn't from a lack of trying and ultimately MJ/Sanu wanted to move on to gain a bigger roll on the team. I guess I can't blame them for wanting to test themselves in bigger rolls, but it still stings. I am personally happy in our commitment to keep our players with reasonable contracts and not over paying for big name free agents. Obviously the team will sign at least 1 wide receiver before the draft and bringing in a guy like Dansby shows that they wanting to upgrade their line backer position.

Overall I'm satisfied thus far and I am glad were past the point where our guys scatter like roaches in free agency(Cleveland).

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Eh.. as of right this second? Unsatisfied. They don't have a LB yet, or a WR. They are noticably worse than before they entered FA. Don't blame them for losing Jones or Sanu, that was ridiculous money. Do blame them for not finding someone yet. (Sure there's talk they're close with LaFell, but get back to me when it actually happens.)

Instead they brought back Tate, an often injured DT who had 4 solo tackles and a currently injured DT who had 4 solo tackles in a crazy deep DT draft, and a suspended Taylor Mays.

Glad they got Adam Jones, I thought he was the most important in-house FA. Iloka was a nice keep though I would have preferred Nelson. Just fairly underwhelmed overall seeing as how they don't seem particularly desperate to win now. There was some ridiculous overpaying, but as always there was some really reasonable deals that happened that the Bengals never even sniffed around to improve their team.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'm mostly satisfied. With the number of good football players they had up for new contracts, I knew some weren't coming back. The loss of Marvin Jones will really sting in the short term, but I think the other players lost have capable replacements in house.
Reply/Quote
I was satisfied with the Iloka and Jones signing. Both were good money and help this defense.

I could understand signing Sims or Thompson, but not both.

Not a fan of Tate. Also not a fan of coming close to signing Mays.

LaFell would be a good choice to get as a slot receiver. Dansby would be a great addition to the defense.

But it's been pretty average. Didn't sign anybody, didn't get better at any position. Lost two WRs.

Now, if we lose out on Treadwell, Docston, and Coleman in the 1st round, then I think we are significantly worse. I like Fuller and Shepherd, but I don't see them being viable #2 options and they're better fits in the slot, as is LaFell.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm satisfied overall. I question the signing of Tate and Mays though. Just don't see the value in them unless their going to be camp bodies and cut during preseason. Both would be out of the league if we didn't sign them.

The team made the right decisions on Marvin Jones and Sanu.

We'll pick up some late signings at WR and LB, so not worried about that right now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
As of this second, unsatisfied. Should they sign Nelson, Lafell, and Dansby before it's all over then I'd say that FA went pretty well all things considered. Losing the #2 and #3 receivers is not good, but as others mentioned it was necessary to let them chase the cash elsewhere. For all we know things could shake out like the year that Fanene and Rucker left as far as that goes. People were squealing and moaning that the d-line rotation was dead and that the defense would fall apart but when all was said and done those dudes got way overpaid and the team was fine without them.
Reply/Quote
It's too early to know if I'm satisfied. If free agency was over, I wouldn't be. I said from the start that we should put more money into our secondary than our WRs. On that count, Reggie Nelson is the only piece missing. I know Williams showed promise, but I'd rather have Reggie for another year. Injuries happen, and it's great having Williams on reserve, but Reggie is coming off a career year. Giving him 2 years wouldn't be a bad thing IMHO. In 2017, Reggie might be backing up Williams.

Dansby would be a most pleasant surprise. Lafell, on paper, looks like a typical Bengals' FA signing. He's good, but far from great. Would be a solid replacement for Sanu.

If we can sign all three, like most have said, I'd be pretty satisfied. I like the way Marvin and Mike have gone about building this team.

As for the darft, I trust Urban to find us a good upgrade to replace Marvin Jones. And I think the new DLine coach can help us find the kind of DT we need. All in all, I think we've got a great shot of making it to the playoffs for a 6th consecutive year. It will be a fun year. Who freaking Dey!!!
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I'm sort of at "meh".

I love the resignings and am actually happy we're moving on from Reggie although he was one of my favorite defensive players in the team. I just think it's time to see what Shawn Williams can do. I just hope we sign a vet WR (or Lafell) and maybe a vet LB (Dansby) and I'd say its time to move on to draft.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 11:48 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I was satisfied with the Iloka and Jones signing. Both were good money and help this defense.

I could understand signing Sims or Thompson, but not both.

Not a fan of Tate. Also not a fan of coming close to signing Mays.

LaFell would be a good choice to get as a slot receiver. Dansby would be a great addition to the defense.

But it's been pretty average. Didn't sign anybody, didn't get better at any position. Lost two WRs.

Now, if we lose out on Treadwell, Docston, and Coleman in the 1st round, then I think we are significantly worse. I like Fuller and Shepherd, but I don't see them being viable #2 options and they're better fits in the slot, as is LaFell.

I'm of the same mindset, for the most part.
I feel that signing both Thompson and Sims means less priority on DT in the draft. The Bengals like familiarity too much.
Same goes with Tate and possibly Mays (if he does end up re-signing).
As you said, the team hasn't improved at all from before FA started - it got worse.
Because of that, I give it a "C".

If the Bengals pick up Lafell and Dansby plus nail the draft, it can be an A.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Still a bit early.

I look at FA and the draft together. It's not about one or the other, it's about using both to address team needs.

Right now we need (in order of importance) two DT, two WR, a C, a CB, a LB. All in all, that's really not saying much. And we can make do at some of those positions (CB, LB and C all have guys who have or can play there, it's just a matter of improving it some or adding depth). We could start the season with who we have at those three and be set. So that leaves us with DT and WR the only big needs.

DT needs a starter. It's needed a starter for a few years now. We didn't address that in FA (re-signing guys who weren't very good isn't doing much). And we need a starter at WR, but it's not as big of a need and we may be moving forward with a free agent.

All in all, it's been about as good as expected, and will be better so if we sign LaFell. And if we have a good draft, this may be one of our best off seasons in a while.
Reply/Quote
Right now I'm alright with our FA this year, but I will be happy with it if we resign Nelson, and then I would be very happy if we pickup a receiver like LaFell for cheap.
Reply/Quote
If we get 2/3 between Dansby, Nelson, LaFell I'd be beyond satisfied. If we got all 3 I'd be awed.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 11:50 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: If we get 2/3 between Dansby, Nelson, LaFell I'd be beyond satisfied. If we got all 3 I'd be awed.

I would even go out on a limb and say we would even have a better chance to....trade up!

Or use a pick on an injured but potentially future stud like Jaylon Smith.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Not satisfied yet. Sure it was nice to lock up Iloka and Adam Jones, but we let a lot of high priced players walk. I'm fine with the players we let walk, but we should be able to sign more players. Leon Hall and Andre Smith accounted for $15 million in cap space last year. Iloka and Jones are set to make less than that in 2016.

If they can sign Nelson and LaFell, I'd be ok with our Free Agency. Throw Dansby on top of that and I'd be pretty happy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 12:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I would even go out on a limb and say we would even have a better chance to....trade up!

Or use a pick on an injured but potentially future stud like Jaylon Smith.

I wouldn't want to use anything above a 3rd round pick for Smith. It's too big of a risk with him having nerve damage.
Reply/Quote
Im happy we retained what I felt were the most important pieces of FA... but still unfinished especially at WR , possible LB and Safety still could use some addressing.
Reply/Quote
I don't really consider signing your own players as being active in free agency. However, I'd consider FA a success if we brought in LaFell and Dansby.

This was a pretty weak FA class, I mean Marvin Jones was the #1 WR. So I didn't mind the inactivity in the beginning. Adding Dansby would be huge since he would immediately become one of our two best LBs. LaFell would be a good #3 or #4 receiving target for us.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Iloka was my number one need going in and we got him back. If we somehow get Lafell and Dansby and maybe even Nelson I'll be more then satisfied going into the draft
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
Were not as good as we were prior to free agency, so im unsatisfied.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 01:50 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I wouldn't want to use anything above a 3rd round pick for Smith. It's too big of a risk with him having nerve damage.

Agreed. To clarify, my comment in which you replied was meant to imply we could afford to invest one pick (not necessarily our first-rounder) on an injured player. Smith would be a good player to invest in like the third round if the Bengals can get Dansby on a 1-2 year deal.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote