Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017-18 Season, 2 keys, and 1 step up in each phase of the game
Offense: I believe two keys for the offense this season are Tyler Eifert and Joe Mixon. If those two can stay healthy and produce, we are immediately better in the red zone, on third down, and less one-dimensional. The player that needs to step up (and likely to be everybody's choice) is Ced Ogbuehi. The Bengals have shown complete faith in his ability to man the LT position this year.

Defense: I believe the two keys for the defense lie with new player additions Tyler Willis and second-year player Andrew Billings. If Willis can produce the pass rush I believe he is capable off the edge, the defense will not only be better at getting off the field on third down, but could yield more big plays (sacks, turnovers). Billings I see as more than a space-eater, but a blocker-eater. A self-professed "double-team eater", Billings could help the rest of the line have more pass rush opportunities and also help keep the new, speedy LBs clean. Billings can also help create push in the QBs lap, dropping him further in to pass rush lanes. The player that needs to step up is Burfict. He already appears to be in great shape, but if we get "Good Burfict", with no behavioral stupidity, for 16 seasons, the impact of him at his top level is greater than any player on the team.

Special teams: Easy: Elliot in the kicking game, assuming he wins the job, is a huge key for this team. The other spot I will go for is Erickson. If he can produce as he did last year, and the team keeps 7 WRs, we will be a very good special teams unit. The player that needs to step up is Kevin Huber. It seemed as though he had an off year, and he we need him booming 50 yard punts with hang time again.

That's my list...what is yours?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2017, 09:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Offense:  I believe two keys for the offense this season are Tyler Eifert and Joe Mixon.  If those two can stay healthy and produce, we are immediately better in the red zone, on third down, and less one-dimensional.  The player that needs to step up (and likely to be everybody's choice) is Ced Ogbuehi.  The Bengals have shown complete faith in his ability to man the LT position this year.  

Defense:  I believe the two keys for the defense lie with new player additions Tyler Willis and second-year player Andrew Billings.  If Willis can produce the pass rush I believe he is capable off the edge, the defense will not only be better at getting off the field on third down, but could yield more big plays (sacks, turnovers).  Billings I see as more than a space-eater, but a blocker-eater.  A self-professed "double-team eater", Billings could help the rest of the line have more pass rush opportunities and also help keep the new, speedy LBs clean.  Billings can also help create push in the QBs lap, dropping him further in to pass rush lanes.  The player that needs to step up is Burfict.  He already appears to be in great shape, but if we get "Good Burfict", with no behavioral stupidity, for 16 seasons, the impact of him at his top level is greater than any player on the team.  

Special teams:  Easy:  Elliot in the kicking game, assuming he wins the job, is a huge key for this team.  The other spot I will go for is Erickson. If he can produce as he did last year, and the team keeps 7 WRs, we will be a very good special teams unit.  The player that needs to step up is Kevin Huber.  It seemed as though he had an off year, and he we need him booming 50 yard punts with hang time again.

5 guys we need to play all 16 games
Dalton
Green
Burfict
Geno
Dunlap

Step Up/In on Offense (any 1 from list)
Mixon
Eifert
Jake & Ced

Defense (any 1 from list)
Vigil
Minter
W. Jackson
Either Lawson or Willis

Special Teams (either of the 2)
Kicker who wins the job
Huber (agree he had an off year in 2016)
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2017, 09:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Offense:  I believe two keys for the offense this season are Tyler Eifert and Joe Mixon.  If those two can stay healthy and produce, we are immediately better in the red zone, on third down, and less one-dimensional.  The player that needs to step up (and likely to be everybody's choice) is Ced Ogbuehi.  The Bengals have shown complete faith in his ability to man the LT position this year.  

Defense:  I believe the two keys for the defense lie with new player additions Tyler Willis and second-year player Andrew Billings.  If Willis can produce the pass rush I believe he is capable off the edge, the defense will not only be better at getting off the field on third down, but could yield more big plays (sacks, turnovers).  Billings I see as more than a space-eater, but a blocker-eater.  A self-professed "double-team eater", Billings could help the rest of the line have more pass rush opportunities and also help keep the new, speedy LBs clean.  Billings can also help create push in the QBs lap, dropping him further in to pass rush lanes.  The player that needs to step up is Burfict.  He already appears to be in great shape, but if we get "Good Burfict", with no behavioral stupidity, for 16 seasons, the impact of him at his top level is greater than any player on the team.  

Special teams:  Easy:  Elliot in the kicking game, assuming he wins the job, is a huge key for this team.  The other spot I will go for is Erickson. If he can produce as he did last year, and the team keeps 7 WRs, we will be a very good special teams unit.  The player that needs to step up is Kevin Huber.  It seemed as though he had an off year, and he we need him booming 50 yard punts with hang time again.

Wow.  16 seasons for Burflict.   Tongue

It would be nice to have another player (particularly on D) that steps up and does way more than what is expected.  All championship teams seem to have one that does the grunt work and just seems to make that key one or two plays in a game yet somehow doesn't get the accolades due.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote

You mean Jordan?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

That's actually a good assessment as I see the offense being more explosive with guys just being healthy and then adding in both Mixon and Ross, but it all comes down to the lines ability to give Dalton enough time to throw or Mixon and company enough time to find a hole.

Defensively, if Willis can provide the pass rush that MJ and the other backups cant then that should make the defense better as a hole. And if Billings can live up to the billing then we immediately get better all around due to his ability to not only disrupt the middle running lane, but also his ability to push the pocket, something that Peko had no clue about.

Elliot could prove to be the kicker that doesn't cost us 3-4 games.

Bonus: getting WJ3 and Dennard fully healthy allows us to have fresh bodies and use guys like Shaw and Wilson in multiple positions.
Reply/Quote
IDK..I usually expect someone that nobody expects to step up to step up.. Last year it was Erikson. This year is anyones guess. I'd love to see Ogbuihi be that guy, but my heart of hearts tells me that ain't gonna happen. The good news is that my heart of hearts is almost never right. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Agreed:

1. If you combined Tyler Eifert and Jordan Willis into a single freak-athlete player, he would help both sides of the ball and save on a roster spot.
2. If we get a healthy and effective Vontaze Burfict who plays at a high level for another 16 seasons, that would be an amazing athletic accomplishment.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote

I'm hoping that William Jackson III will be the player that shows some Elite qualities.

He ran a 4.37 forty compared to Dennard's 4.51 forty.

If William Jackson III is talented enough to be a quick riser in terms of playing time and show some future Star traits, it could allow for the departure of Pac Man after this season, while upgrading the effectiveness of the Cornerback group in 2017.

I want to see a Ball Hawk with undeniable Elite 1st round traits out of William Jackson III.

I think that would Tip the Scale in a positive way for the Defense.
Reply/Quote
For me, the keys to success for the offense are:

1. For the OL to come together as a cohesive group. Attacking as a unit in the running game, and having each other's back in protecting Andy from what is sure to be a blitz-a-thon all season long.

2. For Andy and the plethora of weapons that the team has amassed to gain confidence and continuity with one another, ASAP.

Who needs to step up? Jake Fisher, Cedric Ogbuehi is more than likely going to need plenty of help to protect Andy's blind side, which might mean the RB looks to block Left first, more strong Left formations, etc. Fisher may be the one who has to step up and prove that he can survive on an island.

On defense:

1. For the front seven to incorporate all the new faces (Billings, Lawson, Willis, Minter) into pass rush packages where the opposing offenses can't be sure who is coming, and who's sitting back. I really like the idea of using more odd front looks, with more stunting and twists. Burfict and Minter in the middle in odd front scenarios should be more than capable of containing the run.

2. For the secondary to get off to a fast start this year. Last year, the secondary really seemed to struggle, with the coaching transition from Vance Joseph to Kevin Coyle. As the season progressed, their play improved dramatically. This year there is no major coaching transitions to adjust to. No reason for the secondary not to be in full attack mode, from day one.

Who needs to step up? Vontaze Burfict. That's right, 'Taze needs to step up, into the role of captain of the defense. With long time locker room leaders Peko and Maualuga now down the road, Vontaze needs to fill that role.

Special teams:

1, Kicker don't blow it..

2. Coverage like a storm cloud. Allow no long returns. One of the Bengals trademarks in recent years is to win the field position battle. Need to keep that tradition alive.

Who needs to step up? Huber. A major part of winning those field position battles is having high, booming punts. Huber needs to regain the form that made him such a valuable asset to the team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Offense:
Like everyone has said, the O-line has to do their job.

Defense:
2 things:
LB play has to be better. We have been awful at this position for a long time. Burfict can't play all 3 positions every play. The days of having 1 great player and 2 slow, adequate players has to stop.

Scheme sometimes leaves me shaking my head, dropping MJ back in coverage instead rushing is a waste. DEs cannot cover backs and slot receivers. For god sake quit dropping LBs 5 yards past the 1st down marker on 3rd and long!!

Elliot has to make kicks!
Reply/Quote
I would expect Willis to have a small impact (maybe 5 sacks for the year). The players I'm really excited about on defense are BILLINGS!! and Lawson. I expect Lawson to have a higher pass rush impact even though I don't think he will get more than 20 snaps a game. Even if his sack numbers don't show it, I think from a pressures point of view, Lawson is going to be top 3 in pressures on the team (along with Atkins and Dunlap).

The development of Ross should start paying dividends in the second half of the season, and lead to more freedom for A.J. Green and Eifert, and less 8 man boxes for Mixon and the running backs. I think Mixon will make the offensive line look better, but I am not ready to call him a major weapon yet, until I see his development. I honestly think the Offensive line will be better than last year, simply because I believe Fisher will hold down the right side in tandem with Andre or whichever young guy out of the group ( Redmond, Westerman, etc) will become the starting RG. Not sure about the LT spot, but even if Cedric doesn't become pro bowl caliber, I think he will be much better than he was last year, simply for the fact that he will get more practice time and a full off season to work on his skills.

Considering the easier schedule, if the Offensive line and the kicker play better than last year, I can see the defense carry the team to the playoffs. And if the defense can be dominant, even a playoff win.
Reply/Quote
OL is going to be worse than a dumpster fire this year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2017, 09:26 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Wow.  16 seasons for Burflict.   Tongue

It would be nice to have another player (particularly on D) that steps up and does way more than what is expected.  All championship teams seem to have one that does the grunt work and just seems to make that key one or two plays in a game yet somehow doesn't get the accolades due.

Oops.   Smirk

I think Willis is that guy.  The biggest need on the defensive side of the ball, the earliest defensive draft pick, and a flat-out beast of a dude.  I also love his attitude.  
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2017, 09:32 AM)ochocincos Wrote: You mean Jordan?

Wow, first 16 seasons for Burfict and now is screw up the name of the guy I spent all off-season promoting as a potential draft pick.  More coffee, please.   Shocked
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2017, 10:41 AM)depthchart Wrote: I'm hoping that William Jackson III will be the player that shows some Elite qualities.

He ran a 4.37 forty compared to Dennard's 4.51 forty.

If William Jackson III is talented enough to be a quick riser in terms of playing time and show some future Star traits, it could allow for the departure of Pac Man after this season, while upgrading the effectiveness of the Cornerback group in 2017.

I want to see a Ball Hawk with undeniable Elite 1st round traits out of William Jackson III.

I think that would Tip the Scale in a positive way for the Defense.

Good choice.  28 PBUs his senior season at Houston is no fluke.  He has incredible ball instincts to go with his speed and length.
Reply/Quote
Offense
Most obvious key is OC Zampese is stepping up and actually making this offense a force.
He has all.the talent and pieces to make it a problem.for defenses.
I felt last year he lacked creativity and the tempo of the offense could have been faster
Theres no excuses this year
Dalton and Green are in the prime of their career. Eifert should be all.systems go. Mixon is the do it all RB.

Defense.
Nick Vigil. We know what Burfict brings. Minters resume is pretty darn solId.
It's imperative Vigil.is that guy who can cover TEs and RBs. 3rd and whatever .
This defense couldnt make a 3rd stop down the stretch when it needed it.
Vigil has to be that 2nd level stopper for us
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2017, 08:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good choice.  28 PBUs his senior season at Houston is no fluke.  He has incredible ball instincts to go with his speed and length.

I'm excited to see Jackson make his presence felt.  Getting Jackson and Billings into the mix is like a bumper crop for the defensive draft this year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 11:22 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm excited to see Jackson make his presence felt.  Getting Jackson and Billings into the mix is like a bumper crop for the defensive draft this year.

Absolutely.  I even think that Jordan Evans will make his presence felt this year, at least on special teams.  I have a sneaky suspicion that my guy Fej is going to be a more valuable piece on the defense this year as well.  Man, the season can't get here soon enough.  
Reply/Quote
WE definitely need Og to step up, but just as much we need Bodine to at least be passable as an NFL Center. Bad Center play has killed us on both pass plays and on short yardage and interior runs.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2017, 06:22 PM)Joelist Wrote: WE definitely need Og to step up, but just as much we need Bodine to at least be passable as an NFL Center. Bad Center play has killed us on both pass plays and on short yardage and interior runs.

I actually thought Bodine played better in short yardage last year.  I was surprised to see that there seemed to be a lot of problems at both Guard spots.  It makes sense with Boling's injury, but Zeitler wasn't moving people at all.  I am excited to see what we get out of Redmond/Westerman/Smith.  

If Bodine doesn't take the next step early on, we may see TJ Johnson at Center.  
Reply/Quote