Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 1st rd pick # 9-ish
(12-09-2017, 09:52 PM)Steve Wrote: I would love to have a pro bowl OG here ....I know it's not the bengals style to have quality Centers or Guards.....but maybe this year w/ the line so bad they will pick a pro bowl quality OG.....
get an OT in rd #2....Center in rd #3
try to stabilize this mess....& really we need 2 OT's not one...b/c Fisher & Ced are both weak...
just seems to me there is no pro bowl caliber OT in the top 10  
& it should be BPA to fix our O-line....in rds 1, 2 & 3....
that would be Nelson.....if he's still on the board when we pick....he may come off in the top 6....pro bowl quality players are rare....

I'm starting to lean this way. I just keep thinking about Dallas building their interior line and how they run the ball so well. Not to mention how good our interior line was in 2005, when we had our most successful offensive season since 1988...when we also had a great interior line. The efficient run games helped Boomer win MVP and Palmer have an MVP caliber season.

That Mike Brown was around for both of these seasons and still can't see the value of interior linemen (and run game) is sooo frustrating.

(12-09-2017, 10:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Quick glance at the NFL says 14 of the 32 teams have a starting QB who has won 1+ playoff game(s) in his career.  And that's counting guys like Palmer/Luck/Cutler who aren't factoring much into this season due to injury/being Jay Cutler.  Take them out and it's more like 1/3rd of the NFL has a guy who has won a playoff game under center.

Dalton could have fallen ass first into a playoff win like a number of the no-name guys who have more post-season success than him if he played elsewhere.  I'm still surprised Dalton didn't make a push to get onto the Texans before this point in his career.  It would have fit so well with Palmer and Boomer leaving here to go to their home areas of Oakland and NY...well, probably with less 4-win seasons.

I'd love to see Dalton is Houston (not likely now, with Watson) or Jacksonville. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'd love to trade somebody if we could and pick up another second rounder I feel like we got a lot of holes. But if new coach came in and wants a qb to be his first pick id love it,I want baker Mayfield . That's my dream pick. Then you can focus on o line. But I think we need to get a lineman in free agency. We need another linebacker ,safety,corner ,and possibly even wide receiver and tight end.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2017, 11:22 AM)Interceptor Wrote: I feel bad for anyone this team drafts.

Dilly dilly !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2017, 01:28 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I agree with the offensive line and I would start with a Center first. That said, if Derwin James happened to be available............

if James or Fitzpatrick are available you have to take them......
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2017, 07:17 PM)Jpoore Wrote: James is a hard hitting safety WTH range and is a ball hawk. Think honey badger 2.0.hea better than he was coming out. Dude can absolutely lay the wood, but can also track the ball and get some ints. Derwin James is a absolute monster and a top 5 talent. He's gonna destroy the combine, and best part is he can play ss, fs, or CB at a very high level.

Well, we differ on this in some ways but that's alright.

The prospect in this draft that could project to play CB or S is Minkah Fitzpatrick.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2017, 07:44 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Well, we differ on this in some ways but that's alright.

The prospect in this draft that could project to play CB or S is Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Let me rephrase what I was saying. I didn't mean that james could play CB full time like an actual CB. But that as a safety he has the coverage skills to line up man to man on either wrs, tes, and rbs and can actually cover them like a CB, as opposed to our 5 yard gap that our safety's give everyone right now. That's what I meant. And what I didn't mention earlier is he can also play lb, as well as de and not look like a lost pup. But when I put on the 2017 tape I thought I was gonna see more cam chancellor type player like I did. In 2015. I didnt. His 2017 tape one name came to mind and I couldn't shake it. Sean Taylor. At 6"3 222, dude is a monster. He's almost as big as ruebon foster. Think about that.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2017, 11:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm starting to lean this way. I just keep thinking about Dallas building their interior line and how they run the ball so well. Not to mention how good our interior line was in 2005, when we had our most successful offensive season since 1988...when we also had a great interior line. The efficient run games helped Boomer win MVP and Palmer have an MVP caliber season.

That Mike Brown was around for both of these seasons and still can't see the value of interior linemen (and run game) is sooo frustrating.

First I have to say. "The next Logan Mankins" line is thrown around every other year. Can't take stuff like that seriously...

Second this draft is looking like it has some solid interior offensive line talent. Like Braden Smith Auburn around the top of the 3rd or later a guy like Wyatt Teller VT. There is no reason to reach for a Guard high in the first round. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2017, 02:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well some say our biggest mistake recently was reaching for the trenches.

I don't think we reached in the trenches. Just wiffed with our two consecutive tackle picks. Then combine that with a refusal to have a backup plan in case they sucked. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2017, 10:29 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Need to upgrade the QB position if we want a shot at the Lombardi.

Putting a rookie QB behind this line would be David Carr 2.0

Not worth it yet.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2017, 12:01 PM)Synric Wrote: It would be the EVERY NFL team mantra....how many Guards have ever been taken in the top 10? Offensive tackles yes. Hell even a center slides into thr top 15 sometimes....but a guard no.
I understand the interior line needs bodies but this is looking like it's going to be a solid draft for interior offensive linemen. There is likely no reason to reach for a Guard in the top 10.
Jonathan Cooper and Chance Warmack were drafted #7 and #10 overall by ARZ and TEN in 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2017, 05:59 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Eh Nelson isn't even the best guard in the draft. Better pick would be Billy price center in1st, will hernandez in second, and jamarco Jones in third.(or gesecki if he falls)

I LIKE Price.. Rd 2.  Is he gonna be a high Rd 1? I doubt it but might be the best C.
Nelson MAY indeed be Best OG.. maybe best OL. However....just watching some TV games is too little info. O-Line is HARD to follow, cameras follow the ball.  There's not much stats to go by.   That a guy is big, ran a good 40, bench pressed a lot... nice yet no real sure thing. A FEW.. stand out. I remember DeCastro   at Stanford...VERY reliable.   Anthony Munoz was ALWAYS exceptional. Often though.. it's the guy who FAILED that stands out.

OTHER guys...I used to Watch a LOT of games and I'd have my " draft liist".. which usually was pretty good.I could SEE the star quality, the IMPACT.   I mean... a LOT of roles the player is out in the open, can  do the
"big play".
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2017, 10:58 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: No. 

Ditto. Can't expect a QB to be 100% behind a weak o-line.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2017, 11:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Jonathan Cooper and Chance Warmack were drafted #7 and #10 overall by ARZ and TEN in 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yea I forgot about the failed duo. Cooper is a Cowboy now...Where is Warmack?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 08:48 AM)Synric Wrote: Oh yea I forgot about the failed duo. Cooper is a Cowboy now...Where is Warmack?

Backing up Brooks and Wisniewski for the Eagles.
Cooper has been pretty solid with the Cowboys though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
So does 5-11 put us in the conversation for a Top 5 pick? LOL
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 10:27 AM)Big Boss Wrote: So does 5-11 put us in the conversation for a Top 5 pick?  LOL

Jets and Chargers both finished 5-11 last year and they had picks 6 and 7. We'll be lucky to get a top 10 pick this year with so many crappy teams.
Reply/Quote
The Con of drafting a Guard is IF he turns into a Pro Bowl caliber player...they'll let him go in 5 years.

Look for the Bengals to possibly draft a DE, DT, or CB as those are the positions that are free agents after next season. Christian Wilkens is a dominant DT from Clemson. He'd be a great pick to pair with Atkins. Unfortunately, I think the Bengals would draft him to replace Atkins.
Reply/Quote