Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals narrow in on offensive minded head coach outside of the organization
According to that source, the Bengals are leaning towards hiring a coach with an offensive background, who did not spend the 2018 season on the Bengals coaching staff - special teams coordinator Darrin Simmons, offensive coordinator Bill Lazor and special assistant to the head coach Hue Jackson.

The source told FOX19 Now the Bengals have already narrowed in on their target, in their opinion.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/9/18176010/nfl-rumors-cincinnati-bengals-coach-todd-monken-eric-bieniemy-zac-taylor

Amazing news
Reply/Quote
I agree, good news indeed, out with the old; in with the new!
Reply/Quote
Filed under "Believe it when I see it", but very encouraging. It would be great to get both Taylor and Waldron as coach and OC. To coach the defense? Hmmmm. Rex Ryan would be fun. Seriously, though, I don't know who else they will go after but maybe Vance Joseph wouldn't be all bad as a DC.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 08:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Filed under "Believe it when I see it", but very encouraging.  It would be great to get both Taylor and Waldron as coach and OC.  To coach the defense?  Hmmmm.  Rex Ryan would be fun.  Seriously, though, I don't know who else they will go after but maybe Vance Joseph wouldn't be all bad as a DC.

They said this morning that Joseph was going to NYJ to be DC under Adam Gase. That means, the only reason they would not have announced would be because it's Bieniemy, Taylor or Waldron....
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 09:00 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They said this morning that Joseph was going to NYJ to be DC under Adam Gase. That means, the only reason they would not have announced would be because it's Bieniemy, Taylor or Waldron....

That is if you believe they won't bring back Hue or Simmons.  
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 09:04 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That is if you believe they won't bring back Hue or Simmons.  

But they could have already announced Hue or Simmons. I'm actually ok with giving Simmons a shot, if it came to that. Not my first choice, but I'd give him a chance. If it's Hue, I'm trading all my stuff for Vikings gear.
Reply/Quote
After watching videos of post-game press conferences, I'm going with Shane Waldron.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
Is this the same unnamed source that said Marvin was fired multiple times in the last decade?
Reply/Quote
Saying it's a guy with an offensive background makes me think it might be one of those college coaches who was involved in a scandal lately. *RIMSHOT*
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 09:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: But they could have already announced Hue or Simmons. I'm actually ok with giving Simmons a shot, if it came to that. Not my first choice, but I'd give him a chance. If it's Hue, I'm trading all my stuff for Vikings gear.

Simmons came with Lewis from Washington and has been here for 16 years.

Simmons would be a terrible choice for that fact. He hasn't been around other franchise's to know how they are structured and run their practices. All he knows is what he saw here.

I think people get too caught up in if these coordinators produce good offenses or defenses or special teams as coordinators and look at other traits like can they come in here and be a leader and put desperately needed structure around this franchise.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 08:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Filed under "Believe it when I see it", but very encouraging.  It would be great to get both Taylor and Waldron as coach and OC.  To coach the defense?  Hmmmm.  Rex Ryan would be fun.  Seriously, though, I don't know who else they will go after but maybe Vance Joseph wouldn't be all bad as a DC.

If the new HC is young and inexperienced as a HC, I think the choices for a great DC are vast:

1. Greg Williams
2. Vance Joseph
3. Marvin Lewis (won't happen, but he is a great DC)
4. Rex Ryan

I am sure there are others I am missing
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 11:06 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If the new HC is young and inexperienced as a HC, I think the choices for a great DC are vast:

1. Greg Williams
2. Vance Joseph
3. Marvin Lewis (won't happen, but he is a great DC)
4. Rex Ryan

I am sure there are others I am missing

Del Rio comes to mind.....but I'd take Greg Williams.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I'm so burned out on ownership that only a coach from outside the organization that's allowed to choose their own coaches will give me any optimism. So I guess that's good news.
Reply/Quote
Ill believe it when I see it and I won’t believe it until the ink is dry. This front office does not deserve to be trusted IMO (shaun Rogers and warren sapp... never forget. And never celebrate until things are 100% official).
Reply/Quote
The more I watch and listen to the guy I think Shane Waldron may be the best option

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Lends more credence to Hobson's assertion in Hobson's Choice, that if it was going to be an internal candidate, they would have announced it already. He wrote that last week.
Reply/Quote
I'm thinking the new decision-makers are doing everything in their power to make this hire the anti-Mike Brown and anti-Marvin Lewis hire. They are chasing the trendy template, rather than a specific person with a specific resume. They have a chance to pretty much bow to the desires of the angry fan mob on this one.

It does intrigue.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 11:14 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Ill believe it when I see it and I won’t believe it until the ink is dry. This front office does not deserve to be trusted IMO (shaun Rogers and warren sapp... never forget. And never celebrate until things are 100% official).

we don't know who it is but based on the fact they haven't announced it yet we definitely know who it is NOT.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 11:29 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Lends more credence to Hobson's assertion in Hobson's Choice, that if it was going to be an internal candidate, they would have announced it already. He wrote that last week.

Exactly.  I alluded to that article in another thread....and it makes sense.  If your choice was not still in the playoffs, why wouldn't you just announce it and get underway with assembling the rest of the staff?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 11:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm thinking the new decision-makers are doing everything in their power to make this hire the anti-Mike Brown and anti-Marvin Lewis hire.  They are chasing the trendy template, rather than a specific person with a specific resume.  They have a chance to pretty much bow to the desires of the angry fan mob on this one.

It does intrigue.

well just gotta hope the angry mob is right lol
Reply/Quote