Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 defensive rankings
For those who say the Bengals never get enough respect from the media here is a site that thinks pretty highly of the Bengals Defense...

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/09/nfl-defense-rankings-2018-season-jaguars-vikings-ravens?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=inline-related

(Of course Zims team is rated #1)
Reply/Quote
Good article. Thanks for sharing.

I found it surprising that they referred to Baltimore's secondary as "one of the best in the league". It sure didn't look that way last year, but we will see.

Reading this also hurt: "CB Shaq Griffin was a steal in last year’s draft". Groan. We got Malik Jefferson.

I think the Bengal's only potential weakness on the defense is at LB, although Vigil and Evans are looking good. I just hope they stay aggressive when the bright lights go on.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 07:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good article. Thanks for sharing.

I found it surprising that they referred to Baltimore's secondary as "one of the best in the league". It sure didn't look that way last year, but we will see.

Reading this also hurt: "CB Shaq Griffin was a steal in last year’s draft". Groan. We got Malik Jefferson.

I think the Bengal's only potential weakness on the defense is at LB, although Vigil and Evans are looking good. I just hope they stay aggressive when the bright lights go on.

Man, you’re really obsessed with that kid...

And Jefferson was all over the field making plays in the final preseason game. So there’s hope there.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 08:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Man, you’re really obsessed with that kid...

And Jefferson was all over the field making plays in the final preseason game.
So there’s hope there.

C'mon man!  Making plays in a final preseason game isn't much better than scoring 23 points, in an intramural basketball game.   LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Barring injury, I think the article is pretty much spot on.  I think the defenses weak link is LB (particularly with Burfict suspended), with Vigil needing to take it to the next level and Brown needing to maintain or excel from where he was in Buffalo.

Additionally, they have colts at #32!  Hope that translates to the Bengals getting a big win this Sunday!
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 07:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good article.  Thanks for sharing.

I found it surprising that they referred to Baltimore's secondary as "one of the best in the league".  It sure didn't look that way last year, but we will see.  

Reading this also hurt:  "CB Shaq Griffin was a steal in last year’s draft".  Groan.  We got Malik Jefferson.  

I think the Bengal's only potential weakness on the defense is at LB, although Vigil and Evans are looking good.  I just hope they stay aggressive when the bright lights go on.

I will evaluate draft picks in 2 to 3 years, not off what a writer THINKS was a steal.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
It’s interesting how a lot of the national media changed their tune after the nationally televised dress rehearsal against the Bills. It really goes to show how uniformed a lot of “experts” are. All offseason through the first two weeks of preseason the bengals were chopped liver, then they watch one single solitary game and the waffling begins. Not saying they are right or wrong either way but it is exactly why I take it all with a grain of salt.

That being said it’s always fun reading feel good articles about the bengals.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 08:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Man, you’re really obsessed with that kid...

And Jefferson was all over the field making plays in the final preseason game. So there’s hope there.

I am.  I watched a ton of UCF football and the kid jumped out on that team (and that team went undefeated).  I not only love his story, and his play, but his "I will show you" attitude.  I can't help but wonder if Brady, who didn't even get the start for his college team behind Drew Henson, would be the guy he is if not for being #199 overall.  

I don't care where someone gets it, but I will take a driven individual with a chip on their shoulder every time.  

A couple players that have come through here with that kind of attitude:

TJ Houshmanzadeh
Vontaze Burfict
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 09:21 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I will evaluate draft picks in 2 to 3 years, not off what a writer THINKS was a steal.

Sure, he has to stay healthy and play as he has in preseason, but the Seahawks just announced he is starting for them this weekend.

Can you imagine Malik Jerfferson starting here?  But your point is valid. 
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 09:00 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: C'mon man!  Making plays in a final preseason game isn't much better than scoring 23 points, in an intramural basketball game.   LOL

Not really. It's not so much that he was making plays, it's that he was dissecting plays and was where he was supposed to be ahead of plays, and the game is coming to hm. That is regardless of who he was going against.
Reply/Quote
Am stoked for this defense as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
OMG OMG OH IM GEE! The New York Post thinks indy will beat us Sunday.. And the NYP is THE authority of football and have never been known to be wrong except for whenever they publish anything.. Good thing they published it.
https://nypost.com/2018/07/19/danny-amendola-sounds-so-happy-to-be-done-with-belichick/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_3120966
You gotta scroll down to the little box of sports odds and select NFL to see it.. "The Post Line" thingy which only illustrates that I have entirely too much time on my hands...lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 09:30 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: It’s interesting how a lot of the national media changed their tune after the nationally televised dress rehearsal against the Bills. It really goes to show how uniformed a lot of “experts” are. All offseason through the first two weeks of preseason the bengals were chopped  liver, then they watch one single solitary game and the waffling begins. Not saying they are right or wrong either way but it is exactly why I take it all with a grain of salt.

That being said it’s always fun reading feel good  articles about the bengals.

Are you trying to convince us that the experts (or egg spurts as I like to refer to them as) could possibly ever be wrong and possibly full of excrement? Wash your mouth typing fingers out with soap! How dare you even suggest some kind of nefarious agenda on the part of the egg spurts! Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 09:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Sure, he has to stay healthy and play as he has in preseason, but the Seahawks just announced he is starting for them this weekend.

Can you imagine Malik Jerfferson starting here?  But your point is valid. 

I loved him too and would have had no issue if we would have drafted him. I saw he is starting so Kudos to him as not easy for any rookie to start. I can't imagine Jefferson starting for us in 2018, I think we have young guys who are better than both of them right now. But, again I would not evaluate a guy like Geno as a rookie (I would have been wrong) either and especially any picks after round 3 as they are a crap shoot according to stats of those who succeeded or failed.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 09:00 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: C'mon man!  Making plays in a final preseason game isn't much better than scoring 23 points, in an intramural basketball game.   LOL

Not planning my trip to watch him at the Pro Bowl based off it or anything, but he looked good out there. Better than not being noticed against the scrubs, or worse, looking bad.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 09:30 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: It’s interesting how a lot of the national media changed their tune after the nationally televised dress rehearsal against the Bills. It really goes to show how uniformed a lot of “experts” are. All offseason through the first two weeks of preseason the bengals were chopped  liver, then they watch one single solitary game and the waffling begins. Not saying they are right or wrong either way but it is exactly why I take it all with a grain of salt.

That being said it’s always fun reading feel good  articles about the bengals.

I couldn't tell you how many very uniformed articles I've read penned by the National Media, the so called "experts" that are so far off base it's not even funny ! Naming players no longer on the team, misspelling names, having positions wrong, talking about how bad this or that is and that was two seasons ago, and on and on. 

Having said all of that I really do believe we're gonna have a top 1/3 defensive unit this season. Perhaps even like they say top 5 ? But I'm afraid our LBers will drop us down a spot or two before it's over. Not that we still won't be very good.
Reply/Quote
The only REAL football expert is Mike Brown.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2018, 11:31 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: The only REAL football expert is Mike Brown.

Oh I thought it was just me. Guess there is two.

Reply/Quote
Really good read although I would have swapped us with the Ravens.
I think we will dominate most teams with our defence this year
Reply/Quote
With that said, I believe the Bengals will have a top 5 defense. They have all the makings of being very special sharing the key ingredients with other elite squads- Monster defensive tackle, stud pass rushers, elite corner, and bruising and quick linebackers. I think we'll have better schemes and more be more aggressive going after turnovers. It's going to be fun to watch.
Reply/Quote