Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
2018 draft....1st 2 rds...most likely options
(12-23-2017, 02:57 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Don’t be surprised if Eb goes with a QB in Round 1.

while McCarron is likely gone... we can't go rookie QB with this line. we WILL see some  (or a lot of..) new coaching.
i DOUBT  that HIGH pics, Ced, Fisher, Bodine are this BAD if on a good,WELL COACHED Team.
  Just the same... we WILL  be picking O-Line  early and often.  Besides McCarron, Eifort may leave as FA.  J Hill is also gonna go.

that and we could use anther LB. I reckon we TRY to fill a spot with a FA.  This guy.. Nelson... EVERYONE says he's DAMN solid.    Could he slide to OT?
Reply/Quote
Surely there's gotta be a 5'3" QB who can run fast and be converted to a hybrid linebacker/safety/pass rusher..who's already had both knees and a shoulder surgically repaired and another one still on the mend! 
You gotta think outside the box here..if nothing else he can become a position coach in 20 years. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Raise your hand if you truly believe that the Bengals are going to pick the right players for the right positions in the upcoming draft..and whatever you do don't get all your dirty fingerprints all over the ceiling..

Going by history Mikey is probably scouting the early release rosters of every prison football team.. Heck, just pick 7 offensive tackles and nothing else and hope at least one can stick around and not get picked up on a parole violation. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2017, 09:03 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Best. Pick. Available.

If that's a QB, then great.  If it's a once in a lifetime WR2 - great.

This team needs quality more than it needs to shoe-horn average talent in to fill needs.  FIX THE LINE IN FA.

It is EXTREMELY EARLY, but my early plan for the draft is to hope the Bengals lose out, watch a team like SF soar at the end (although I believe they come back to earth against Jax today) and move down the draft boards so the Bengals end up drafting as early as #6.

From that spot, there should be a number of teams hungry for a QB, and I would take the best trade back offer we could get.  Everyone falling in love with college QBs should watch how those QBs have fared against superior defenses where their line didn't give them all day to make the play.  Or, is it a one-read system QB (that is a whole other argument).  No QB will be successful here until the offensive line is thoroughly overhauled.  

Unless somehow Westerman and/or Redmond look like world beaters at the end of this season, I think that will be a very likely targeted position, at least with one of their first three picks.  They are also in desperate need of help at LB and Safety, although I doubt they would address those with first round selections.  With Jones likely moving on, I could see their first pick being another CB, unless they are able to extend Dennard (who has earned it).

My biggest weakness on the defense are clearly LB, S, and DT.  On offense, it is C, G (possibly X2) and OT.  If they are able to extend Dennard, I could see the Bengals (after trading down) getting a Cam Robinson type (should have listened last year...trade back in to end of first round and get him instead of Mixon) for RT duty.  

I would expect they wouldn't trade down without getting a bounty of picks, but I also think there will be enough teams like Arizona, the Jets, possibly Miami, etc that will fall in love with any of a number of QBs.

Slide in Rd 1 to get the RT, then get a C, G, DT, LB, and S (not in that order, necessarily).  

Are the simulators up yet?   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
OT: Why do these damn draft threads keep popping up in JN, instead of...the forum designed for draft talk?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Hum, wow.... this must be one of those fantasy Christmas wish lists.

You guys forget who is making draft decisions on this team. With Marvin Lewis most likely gone it will be Mikey Brown's opinion on what is and isn't important in player qualities and what positions are the most valuable.

That means that OG will not be a top 10 pick. It also means that C will not be selected before the 4th round.

I honestly don't know how Mikey makes his picks cause the seems to be little logic involved.

Reply/Quote
Round One: Best offensive lineman available.

Round Two: Best offensive lineman available.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2017, 07:07 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Ok. First off the premise of Nelson is wrong. 1. He's not the best guard Hernandez is. Please watch some tape. 2. Hernandez is universally recognized as the best run blocker in the nation and a great pass blocker with a 99.8 pass block effeciency. But I think we go center and guard first 2 rounds honestly. If we reach for nelson then go price fine. But we may go with Derwin james or raquan smith in the first.

Nelson is BY FAR.....the best OG in this draft....

I don't need to watch the tape....
I just go by what all the experts say......as they know a lot more than both of us....
maybe you should check out the BIG BOARD....

but whatever.....your mind is made up....
if you want to be wrong that's fine w/ me....
I've seen mocks where OG Hernandez goes off the board in rd 3....
I think it was # 66
while Nelson comes off in the top 10....
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2017, 10:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It is EXTREMELY EARLY, but my early plan for the draft is to hope the Bengals lose out, watch a team like SF soar at the end (although I believe they come back to earth against Jax today) and move down the draft boards so the Bengals end up drafting as early as #6.

From that spot, there should be a number of teams hungry for a QB, and I would take the best trade back offer we could get.  Everyone falling in love with college QBs should watch how those QBs have fared against superior defenses where their line didn't give them all day to make the play.  Or, is it a one-read system QB (that is a whole other argument).  No QB will be successful here until the offensive line is thoroughly overhauled.  

Unless somehow Westerman and/or Redmond look like world beaters at the end of this season, I think that will be a very likely targeted position, at least with one of their first three picks.  They are also in desperate need of help at LB and Safety, although I doubt they would address those with first round selections.  With Jones likely moving on, I could see their first pick being another CB, unless they are able to extend Dennard (who has earned it).

My biggest weakness on the defense are clearly LB, S, and DT.  On offense, it is C, G (possibly X2) and OT.  If they are able to extend Dennard, I could see the Bengals (after trading down) getting a Cam Robinson type (should have listened last year...trade back in to end of first round and get him instead of Mixon) for RT duty.  

I would expect they wouldn't trade down without getting a bounty of picks, but I also think there will be enough teams like Arizona, the Jets, possibly Miami, etc that will fall in love with any of a number of QBs.

Slide in Rd 1 to get the RT, then get a C, G, DT, LB, and S (not in that order, necessarily).  

Are the simulators up yet?  
seems this yr the interior O-line players are pretty good....
while the OT players this year aren't that good.....
thts why I kinda wanted Interior O-line players in rds 1 & that has to be the OG spot & Nelson....if we have to go OT this yr fine....I understand it's needed so I wouldn't complain....but I just don't want any reaching.....
I know we need help at S, LB, DT too......but I figured we had better try to shore up our interior O-line first.....
we shall see.... Cool
ps. I read on a mock a few days ago Cam Robinson wasn't having a very good year....idk.???
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2017, 11:00 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: OT: Why do these damn draft threads keep popping up in JN, instead of...the forum designed for draft talk?

As you wish..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2017, 02:22 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Round One:  Best offensive lineman available.

Round Two:  Best offensive lineman available.

I agree...... ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 08:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As you wish..

sorry....
I didn't notice
Cool
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 08:36 PM)Steve Wrote: sorry....
I didn't notice
Cool

Honest mistake, happens quite often.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2017, 08:02 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: I'd like to have Will Hernandez from UTEP...i don't like Nelson
Then if Orlando Brown OT from Oklahoma if there in the 2nd we should take him or QB Mason Rudolph

We will have driskel I asked the question about mccarron I just posted in another thread. If we don't take a qb in the first round I don't expect to get one till the 6th or 7th because driskel will be the clear backup next yr because mccarron won't be here
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2017, 05:28 PM)wcu Wrote: I was going to say the same thing. New regime = new qb many times. I watched a few UCLA games this year and fell in love with Josh Rosen. I’m usually an OL first kind of guy. I’m also an Andy supporter, but I’d be stoked with Rosen.

Agreed, Rosen looks good. I’ve been an Andy supporter for quite sometime. His limitations can sometimes be glaring though and I’d upgrade if possible.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2017, 05:28 PM)wcu Wrote: I was going to say the same thing. New regime = new qb many times. I watched a few UCLA games this year and fell in love with Josh Rosen. I’m usually an OL first kind of guy. I’m also an Andy supporter, but I’d be stoked with Rosen.

Here's the thing, with the Bengals getting that 6th win, that's going to push them back a couple of spots.  Likely taking them out of contention for the top QBs on the board.

With the whiff on the Ross pick last year, the Bengals can ill afford to swing and potentially miss on a QB, without first addressing some of the other needs of the team.  Despite Andy's limitations, a new coach could more than likely be willing to keep an experienced, cap friendly QB around for a year or two, while building the rest of the team.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2017, 02:57 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Don’t be surprised if Eb goes with a QB in Round 1.

Eb?
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2017, 08:02 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: I'd like to have Will Hernandez from UTEP...i don't like Nelson
Then if Orlando Brown OT from Oklahoma if there in the 2nd we should take him or QB Mason Rudolph

We will have driskel I asked the question about mccarron I just posted in another thread. If we don't take a qb in the first round I don't expect to get one till the 6th or 7th because driskel will be the clear backup next yr because mccarron won't be here
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 08:21 PM)Steve Wrote: Nelson is BY FAR.....the best OG in this draft....

I don't need to watch the tape....
I just go by what all the experts say......as they know a lot more than both of us....
maybe you should check out the BIG BOARD....

but whatever.....your mind is made up....
if you want to be wrong that's fine w/ me....
I've seen mocks where OG Hernandez goes off the board in rd 3....
I think it was # 66
while Nelson comes off in the top 10....
No disrespect but U just lost all credibility when u said u don't need to watch the tape. That's what it's there for Stop just going off of what the talking heads say and form ur own opinions, with your own eyes. And there are more and .ore scouts who have Hernandez better than Nelson. And that will continue and continue. He's not rated as high bc of the school he goes to. If he went to say OSU he's a top 5 lock.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2017, 09:03 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Best. Pick. Available.

If that's a QB, then great.  If it's a once in a lifetime WR2 - great.

This team needs quality more than it needs to shoe-horn average talent in to fill needs.  FIX THE LINE IN FA.

Not much in FA this year to fix it with and to overpay for an aging veteran is stupid.
Reply/Quote