Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Bengal Draft: Pundits Review
Seems like Bengals did a solid job for Taylor's first draft.  Yes, even Sample gets some love.  If you find reviews, please post link in this thread.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/31246/cincinnati-bengals-2019-draft-analysis-for-every-pick

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/04/25/cincinnati-bengals-nfl-draft-picks-2019/3523029002/

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/25/cincinnati-bengals-nfl-draft-picks-selections-grades-list-analysis

Mel Kiper gave Bengals an A- which is surprising to me. 

Kiper
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Drew Sample explanation:

-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
The more I look at this draft, and given the fact it's Taylor's 1st draft, I think he hit it out of the park. Best offensive tackle, best blocking TE, a huge OG from Ohio State and a huge DT from Arizona State. A decent backup QB with potential to be better, linebackers that are fast (haven't watched them personally, but they say they can cover, we'll see). I think the holes that needed plugged got plugged. Now if we can just stay somewhat healthy.....
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 08:38 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The more I look at this draft, and given the fact it's Taylor's 1st draft, I think he hit it out of the park. Best offensive tackle, best blocking TE, a huge OG from Ohio State and a huge DT from Arizona State. A decent backup QB with potential to be better, linebackers that are fast (haven't watched them personally, but they say they can cover, we'll see). I think the holes that needed plugged got plugged. Now if we can just stay somewhat healthy.....

yes, now that the dust has settled, I think this is one of the better drafts for Bengals the last few years.  The best part is they didn't draft troubled but talented players.  they drafted football junkies with high football IQ
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
People were bitching about the Sample pick and I kept saying to trust Taylor and that there must be something that he likes out of him. His receiving stats weren't that great but he also didn't get that many opportunities. He was very underutilized but it the prototypical old school tight end that will be perfect for us, especially in our division. Andy has to be in heaven because he has never had a tight end that's as good of a receiver in the prototypical tight end body like Sample.

You can't leave Sample in the middle of the field single-covered by a linebacker and a safety has to be playing overtop of AJ at all times, so either you keep both safeties back and let Mixon destroy you or you either let AJ or Sample destroy you.

The fact that we got Pratt a round later also makes the pick that much sweeter.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 08:38 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The more I look at this draft, and given the fact it's Taylor's 1st draft, I think he hit it out of the park. Best offensive tackle, best blocking TE, a huge OG from Ohio State and a huge DT from Arizona State. A decent backup QB with potential to be better, linebackers that are fast (haven't watched them personally, but they say they can cover, we'll see). I think the holes that needed plugged got plugged. Now if we can just stay somewhat healthy.....

Taylor looks to be changing the Bengals philosophy but I have been fooled by the Brown family so many times. Sort of like Mikey is Lucy holding the football and I am Charlie Brown getting ready to kick and Mikey pulls the football away. I am so jaded by this organization. I want to believe but this organization is so stuck with nepotism of low talent family members that I have a hard time believing they want to win.

The article in today’s Enquirer with Taylor makes me want to believe in his philosophies but that in itself bothers me because I seen this all before during the 90’s with Dave Shula. The Drew Sample pick reminds me of drafting Sean Brewer in the third. Seeing the pundits positive comments on Sample does change my skepticism but still there is something there that keeps me from getting excited by the changes. Maybe after 45 years of rooting for this team I seen it all before. I hope Zac does find success but he has to earn on the field and not through a draft

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Well they say Sample's receiving abilities were better his last year, and catching the ball can be taught by a good TE coach. Besides, we have TE's that can catch, when we put Sample on the end of the line, I think Mixon has huge lanes....
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 09:14 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Taylor looks to be changing the Bengals philosophy but I have been fooled by the Brown family so many times. Sort of like Mikey is Lucy holding the football and I am Charlie Brown getting ready to kick and Mikey pulls the football away. I am so jaded by this organization. I want to believe but this organization is so stuck with nepotism of low talent family members that I have a hard time believing they want to win.

The article in today’s Enquirer with Taylor makes me want to believe in his philosophies but that in itself bothers me because I seen this all before during the 90’s with Dave Shula. The Drew Sample pick reminds me of drafting Sean Brewer in the third. Seeing the pundits positive comments on Sample does change my skepticism but still there is something there that keeps me from getting excited by the changes. Maybe after 45 years of rooting for this team I seen it all before. I hope Zac does find success but he has to earn on the field and not through a draft

To be fair these aren’t the Bengals of the 90s and early 2000’s. Mike is a lot more hands off than he used to be. Katie has done a much better job in that regard. She’s letting the football guys run the football stuff while keeping her dad out of it.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 09:14 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Taylor looks to be changing the Bengals philosophy but I have been fooled by the Brown family so many times. Sort of like Mikey is Lucy holding the football and I am Charlie Brown getting ready to kick and Mikey pulls the football away. I am so jaded by this organization. I want to believe but this organization is so stuck with nepotism of low talent family members that I have a hard time believing they want to win.

Thanks for turning an opinion piece on how Taylor did, into bitching about MB.

Brewer barely did anything in college, was ranked low and had a smoking problem.

Sample isn't like that in the slightest.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 09:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Well they say Sample's receiving abilities were better his last year, and catching the ball can be taught by a good TE coach. Besides, we have TE's that can catch, when we put Sample on the end of the line, I think Mixon has huge lanes....

I brought this up in another thread. If you remember, Uzomah was drafted as a blocking TE. In fact, he hadn't even played the position much at Auburn. He has developed into a much better pass catcher. They said Sample is not a bad catcher, he was simply not utilized much that way in the Washington offense. Most TEs are not great blockers to start with. We got a guy who is already a refined blocker, who can also catch. So he will be an immediate asset in the run game, and not be a liability as an outlet in the short to intermediate passing game....or if Dalton needs to dump it quick due to a blitz.

Taylor also said that there was alot of chatter after the pick by other teams who were pissed, so he is fairly confident they got Sample in front of other teams who wanted him. Additionally, if Eifert gets injured again, and that probability remains high, we would still have two decent TEs in Sample and Uzomah to field. I am good with this pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 10:02 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Thanks for turning an opinion piece on how Taylor did, into bitching about MB.

Brewer barely did anything in college, was ranked low and had a smoking problem.

Plus, if you go take a look at the Rams TE’s you will find the names Gerald Everett (6’3” 240lbs) and Tyler Higbee (6’6” 255lbs). Their offensive output in the receiving category combine was 57 receptions for 612 yards and 5 touchdowns.

Now look at Drew Sample (6’5” 256lbs) and his line of 25 receptions, 252 yards and 3 touchdowns.

To me there is a trend. If anyone wondered whether or not Zac Taylor was modeling his team from the Rams blueprint, they need not do that any longer. Zac Taylor knows exactly what he wants and needs to give his model an opportunity to work, so he went out and got the pieces he felt the roster lacked. Time will tell if the guys he chose will pan out, but at this point in the process there is no way I’m going to complain about their efforts to emulate a scheme (the Rams) that is arguably the best in the league.

Reply/Quote
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028874/article/2019-nfl-draft-final-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams

Cincinnati Bengals
Draft picks: Alabama OT Jonah Williams (No. 11 overall); Washington TE Drew Sample (No. 52); N.C. State LB Germaine Pratt (No. 72); N.C. State QB Ryan Finley (No. 104); Arizona State DT Renell Wren (No. 125); Ohio State C Michael Jordan (No. 136); Texas A&M RB Trayveon Williams (No. 182); Auburn LB Deshaun Davis (No, 210); Oklahoma RB Rodney Anderson (No. 211); South Dakota State CB Jordan Brown (No. 223)
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: C+
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: A-
Draft analysis: Cincinnati desperately needed help at offensive tackle, and Williams proved he can handle playing on the left or right side at Alabama. With both of the top inside linebackers off the board, this pick made a whole lot of sense. Just a solid pick.

Sample was considered one of the better combination tight ends (run blocker/receiver) in the draft, and the new Bengals coaching staff wanted that sort of player on the roster. It was probably two rounds too early, though. Pratt will be a good inside 'backer for Cincinnati, which needed to replace Vontaze Burfict.

Finley has the chance to be a starter eventually, whether it is in Cincinnati after the Andy Dalton era concludes or with another team via trade. Wren's athleticism is just waiting to be tapped by the right coach -- don't be surprised if he becomes a top-notch starter. Jordan is a guard for the Bengals, who could use an upgrade there. Mark Walton's departure made Williams a must-pick, given his value. Anderson's injury history caused him to fall into the sixth round, but that pick could pay off if he can get healthy. The addition of Brown's coverage ability closed a strong draft for the Bengals.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 10:33 AM)Beaker Wrote: I brought this up in another thread. If you remember, Uzomah was drafted as a blocking TE. In fact, he hadn't even played the position much at Auburn. He has developed into a much better pass catcher. They said Sample is not a bad catcher, he was simply not utilized much that way in the Washington offense. Most TEs are not great blockers to start with. We got a guy who is already a refined blocker, who can also catch. So he will be an immediate asset in the run game, and not be a liability as an outlet in the short to intermediate passing game....or if Dalton needs to dump it quick due to a blitz.

Taylor also said that there was alot of chatter after the pick by other teams who were pissed, so he is fairly confident they got Sample in front of other teams who wanted him. Additionally, if Eifert gets injured again, and that probability remains high, we would still have two decent TEs in Sample and Uzomah to field. I am good with this pick.

Other way around; he never lined up inline and was only split out.

TEs weren't used much by Auburn, but his athleticism and pass-catching were very good for the 5th round. He had just never blocked at all at Auburn, so he had to be coached up.
Reply/Quote
I am not a huge fan of the draft, but they wanted to trade up int he 2nd to get an offensive lineman and couldn't do so. They traded back got wren + sample which is good value. What impressed me the most about the entire draft was the coaches who really seemed to know what exactly they were looking for and had clear explanations on how these players would fit. I was particularly impressed with Jim Turner who just has a presence about him that I like in a coach.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:05 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Other way around; he never lined up inline and was only split out.

TEs weren't used much by Auburn, but his athleticism and pass-catching were very good for the 5th round. He had just never blocked at all at Auburn, so he had to be coached up.

Must be my early onset Alzheimer's kicking in again.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:05 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Other way around; he never lined up inline and was only split out.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Bengals have ever paired Eifert with a great blocking TE. Uzomah has improved his blocking and Eifert has gone from abysmal blocking to fair.

I am excited and hope Sample can stay healthy. He adds a whole new dimension to our offense, one we have not had since Reggie Kelly.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 10:02 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Thanks for turning an opinion piece on how Taylor did, into bitching about MB.

Your welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:16 AM)Beaker Wrote: Must be my early onset Alzheimer's kicking in again.

LOL no problem Wink

(04-28-2019, 11:39 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I could be wrong, but I don't think Bengals have ever paired Eifert with a great blocking TE. Uzomah has improved his blocking and Eifert has gone from abysmal blocking to fair.

I am excited and hope Sample can stay healthy. He adds a whole new dimension to our offense, one we have not had since Reggie Kelly.

That's fairly apt; Gresh was a great pass blocker, but not great at run blocking. Kroft was 50/50. Kevin Brock was a great blocker, but brought in when Eifert broke his arm and not used much. Hewitt rarely lined up as a TE, Cethan Carter is not good at all.

This looks to be the first great, all-around blocker that he'll be paired up with.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 05:45 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Drew Sample explanation:

And that's a fair point. There is some risk involved in getting him in 3 or 4. Plus, then how to you add a LB like Pratt? Do you reach on one in the 2nd Round?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 09:10 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: People were bitching about the Sample pick and I kept saying to trust Taylor and that there must be something that he likes out of him.  His receiving stats weren't that great but he also didn't get that many opportunities.  He was very underutilized but it the prototypical old school tight end that will be perfect for us, especially in our division.  Andy has to be in heaven because he has never had a tight end that's as good of a receiver in the prototypical tight end body like Sample.  

You can't leave Sample in the middle of the field single-covered by a linebacker and a safety has to be playing overtop of AJ at all times, so either you keep both safeties back and let Mixon destroy you or you either let AJ or Sample destroy you.

The fact that we got Pratt a round later also makes the pick that much sweeter.

What? Sample is an inch shorter and weighs the same as Eifert. I loved the pick, I said for weeks that Rams TEs block... but you aren't making sense. 

Sample lacks the ability to separate and isn't a great route runner at this point. Have you read any scouting reports on him?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/drew-sample?id=32195341-4d09-3961-4a51-98a97d3cf50f
Reply/Quote