Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Bengal Draft: Pundits Review
I just hope Sample works for the simple reason that we've never had a Whitten in the last 20 yrs we can rely on. And just thinking how many games the Squeelers beat just with their TEs, it really grinds me gears. So I hope we can return the favor with a reliable, exciting and productive TE.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 03:40 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: What? Sample is an inch shorter and weighs the same as Eifert. I loved the pick, I said for weeks that Rams TEs block... but you aren't making sense. 

Sample lacks the ability to separate and isn't a great route runner at this point. Have you read any scouting reports on him?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/drew-sample?id=32195341-4d09-3961-4a51-98a97d3cf50f

From that link:

Quote:Sample's size and lunch-pail demeanor are what NFL teams look for at the point of attack. While he might be typecast as just a blocking tight end, he possess enough speed and ball skills to become a more productive pass catcher than he was at Washington.

Being the same height as Eifert but 10 pounds heavier means that he'll be more stout and a more typical tight end.

Also, you forget that he's just coming out of college, meaning that he'll still have room to put on more muscle and weight, which will make him even more of a machine.

Especially with a new strength and conditioning coach that knows what he's doing and is actually qualified, Sample should become more physically dominating.  

I also feel pretty good that Casey will help him develop into what he has the tools to become.  

Taylor knows what he's doing, unlike the previous coach.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And that's a fair point. There is some risk involved in getting him in 3 or 4. Plus, then how to you add a LB like Pratt? Do you reach on one in the 2nd Round?

That's just it - all of those people who were screaming bloody murder at the Bengals picking Sample in the second instead of a linebacker don't seem to realize that not a single linebacker was picked between Sample and the Bengals next pick (Pratt).

People were criticizing the Bengals for reaching while advocating for them to reach. And as it turns out, the Bengals evidently didn't even reach!
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 09:58 PM)NKURyan Wrote: That's just it - all of those people who were screaming bloody murder at the Bengals picking Sample in the second instead of a linebacker don't seem to realize that not a single linebacker was picked between Sample and the Bengals next pick (Pratt).

People were criticizing the Bengals for reaching while advocating for them to reach. And as it turns out, the Bengals evidently didn't even reach!

that is a good point
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
https://www.rotoworld.com/article/nfl-draft-grades/silvas-afc-draft-grades

Evan Silva from rotoworld. Rather critical.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
The usual drivel from Silva. Williams is the best OT prospect in years and Sample is the best blocking TE the draft has seen in many years. A lot of scouts rated Pratt right up there with the Devins. Jordan also was highly rated in his natural Guard position. The theme (to use his words) of our draft was blocking.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 10:18 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: https://www.rotoworld.com/article/nfl-draft-grades/silvas-afc-draft-grades

Evan Silva from rotoworld. Rather critical.

I disagree on their view but I am biased.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 09:58 PM)NKURyan Wrote: That's just it - all of those people who were screaming bloody murder at the Bengals picking Sample in the second instead of a linebacker don't seem to realize that not a single linebacker was picked between Sample and the Bengals next pick (Pratt).

Jahlani Tavai, lb, Hawaii went right after Denver took lock with pick 42

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Who really cares what these "experts" say? None of them are right more than they are wrong.
Reply/Quote
Another well thought out review:

https://bluegrasssportsnation.com/2019-bengals-draft-taylor-settles-in-analysis-and-grade/
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:59 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Jahlani Tavai, lb, Hawaii went right after Denver took lock with pick 42

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, but had we not traded back we probably don't make the trade to get Finley in round 4, so I'm just looking at where the Bengals actually picked.

I was driving around when Detroit made that pick, listening on the radio in order to hear the Bengals pick. The guys on the radio were laughing at the Tavai pick. Not sure that's a good point to anyways as far as reaching is concerned.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 04:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: From that link:

Being the same height as Eifert but 10 pounds heavier means that he'll be more stout and a more typical tight end.

Also, you forget that he's just coming out of college, meaning that he'll still have room to put on more muscle and weight, which will make him even more of a machine.

Especially with a new strength and conditioning coach that knows what he's doing and is actually qualified, Sample should become more physically dominating.  

I also feel pretty good that Casey will help him develop into what he has the tools to become.  

Taylor knows what he's doing, unlike the previous coach.

You mean the coach that took the laughingstock of the entire sports universe and made them into a playoff team?  Yeah, he had no idea what was going on.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 09:00 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: yes, now that the dust has settled, I think this is one of the better drafts for Bengals the last few years.  The best part is they didn't draft troubled but talented players.  they drafted football junkies with high football IQ

Chemistry, Culture, and Identity.

Taylor's fixing those issues, too.

I really like this staff. Taylor was a great hire. Can't you feel how much the "vibe" around this team has changed? For the positive? 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 11:41 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: You mean the coach that took the laughingstock of the entire sports universe and made them into a playoff team?  Yeah, he had no idea what was going on.

HA!  

EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD HAS BASHED HIM AND POINTED OUT HOW BAD HE WAS!  

Sure, he might have turned the franchise around, but how much of that was because of the players he had and how much was because of anything he did?

I will give him credit for helping to change the culture, but he had no game management, was horrible at game planning, had no discipline with players, and the list goes on and on.
Reply/Quote
I heard or read or saw something somewhere that Sample caught every target when thrown the ball. Something like 25 targets-25 catches. Maybe I didn't hear or read or see it right, I don't know.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
Every time I hear Kiper's name, I think about this:

Funny, I just read the comment section and saw this from 8 years ago:

"Dennyg2 just gave me a 5 point infraction for watching this video" LOL
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 04:21 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I heard or read or saw something somewhere that Sample caught every target when thrown the ball. Something like 25 targets-25 catches. Maybe I didn't hear or read or see it right, I don't know.

You heard correctly
Reply/Quote

Rep.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 04:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Sure, he might have turned the franchise around, but how much of that was because of the players he had and how much was because of anything he did?

The players he had only won 4 games the year before he took over.

(04-29-2019, 04:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I will give him credit for helping to change the culture, but he had no game management, was horrible at game planning, had no discipline with players, and the list goes on and on.

He had a winning record against other NFL coaches despite being handicapped by the worst owner in the league.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 04:21 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I heard or read or saw something somewhere that Sample caught every target when thrown the ball. Something like 25 targets-25 catches. Maybe I didn't hear or read or see it right, I don't know.

It is about right.  100% but small number.  Still.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote