Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 coordinator(s)
I really don't expect Marvin to get the hook in 2019 not because he's done a great job ,but because Ol Mikey won't do it  so that leaves us with potentially two coordinator positions open.  I can see them retaining Lazor, but defensive coordinator is going to be wide open unless Marvin decides to keep both jobs for himself which I think is unlikely .
So....who would you want as our next defensive coordinator assuming Marvin remains as the HC and decides that both jobs is just too much? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I couldnt tell you,im not knowledgable about coaches. But i did want del rio over austin. Not sure that would happen because his name has been brought up but he never interviewed here. If pauly g got fired ,i can see them jumping back on him ,or maybe calling mike smith up that used to coach the falcons. Other then that i have no clue.
Reply/Quote
I would hope that they would go with an up and coming personality for the DC position, similar to what they did when they brought in Jay Gruden to be OC back in 2011.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Looks like Todd Bowles may get the boot in NY. He may be looking for work and a decent choice.
Reply/Quote
What's Rex Ryan up to these days?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I think Marv decides that he enjoys being D coordinator and stays in that position so they make him and Hugh co-head coaches. Not that I like this option
Reply/Quote
Apparently Hue has been working exclusively with the defense. So maybe the plan is to move him to DC if he isn't a complete disaster.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/18/hue-jackson-has-been-working-on-defense-only-in-cincinnati/

As I said in another thread I wouldn't mind having Vance Joseph back if he gets fired by the Broncos. He was a DB coach here for awhile and did a good job as DC in Miami.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 12:08 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Apparently Hue has been working exclusively with the defense. So maybe the plan is to move him to DC if he isn't a complete disaster.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/18/hue-jackson-has-been-working-on-defense-only-in-cincinnati/

As I said in another thread I wouldn't mind having Vance Joseph back if he gets fired by the Broncos.  He was a DB coach here for awhile and did a good job as DC in Miami.

Hue has coached what WR's, RB's, DB's, and been an offensive coordinator here.

You don't really hear about guys moving between offense and defense as coaches much in the NFL do you?
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 12:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hue has coached what WR's, RB's, DB's, and been an offensive coordinator here.

You don't really hear about guys moving between offense and defense as coaches much in the NFL do you?

Well as the article states he has been working exclusively with defense already, so there's that, coaching the defense. The speculation is he may end up calling the plays for defense this season (so basically a DC). If that happens and things improve DC next year might be his next official position and of course the sad case that he then might replace Marvin as HC at some point. You never know, especially with the Bengals and Marvin and Hue's bromance.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 12:26 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Well as the article states he has been working exclusively with defense already, so there's that, coaching the defense.   The speculation is he may end up calling the plays for defense this season (so basically a DC). If that happens and things improve DC next year might be his next official position and of course the sad case that he then might replace Marvin as HC at some point.   You never know, especially with the Bengals and Marvin and Hue's bromance.

With Hue's copious experience with Offensive skill players, it would seem like DBs would be a fairly simple transition.  Who better to coach coverage players on when and where to expect receivers to make their breaks, cue tips on a double move, etc., than a man who's taught Offensive players how to defeat defensive players?

Not quite as sure about the whole "DC" thing for Hue, though.  Not sure what his experience/mastery of line play is.  If he did assume the DC position, he'd better be armed with a damn good set of LB and DL coaches.

Also, I completely agree with you about looking to Vance Joseph for the DC position.  Our coverage/secondary woes all seemed to begin, after his departure for Miami.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 12:03 PM)jason Wrote: What's Rex Ryan up to these days?

About 220 pounds.
Reply/Quote
Del Rio.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Personally I want an entirely new coaching staff. No retreads!
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 01:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With Hue's copious experience with Offensive skill players, it would seem like DBs would be a fairly simple transition.  Who better to coach coverage players on when and where to expect receivers to make their breaks, cue tips on a double move, etc., than a man who's taught Offensive players how to defeat defensive players?

Not quite as sure about the whole "DC" thing for Hue, though.  Not sure what his experience/mastery of line play is.  If he did assume the DC position, he'd better be armed with a damn good set of LB and DL coaches.

Also, I completely agree with you about looking to Vance Joseph for the DC position.  Our coverage/secondary woes all seemed to begin, after his departure for Miami.

Agreed. I doubt that Hue is some savant that could coach any position on a team.

That said, the Bengals seem to view him that way.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 12:26 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Well as the article states he has been working exclusively with defense already, so there's that, coaching the defense.   The speculation is he may end up calling the plays for defense this season (so basically a DC). If that happens and things improve DC next year might be his next official position and of course the sad case that he then might replace Marvin as HC at some point.   You never know, especially with the Bengals and Marvin and Hue's bromance.

I'm truly starting to believe Hue is the next HC of the Bengals. Marv is going to make good on the old promise.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I am paying attention to the Browns situation to see what they do with Gregg Williams at Defense. Offense Hue he gets this team honestly want him as Head Coach. We need to get better players and More reliable players. We have been desimated at TE and LB. Also the right side of the offensive line is garbage.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 12:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hue has coached what WR's, RB's, DB's, and been an offensive coordinator here.

This is the bengals and mike likes him and trust him. Also who would keep a head coach for 16 years no play off wins can’t beat the Steelers?

So ya it is possible.
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2018, 06:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm truly starting to believe Hue is the next HC of the Bengals. Marv is going to make good on the old promise.

Remember last year there was talk that Marvin was not going to return as HC, possibly retire.  Part of me wonders if he realized Hue's time in Cleveland was going to be over fairly soon. So maybe he agreed to another 2 years to hold on long enough make sure he could bring his good buddy back so he can pass the job on to him.  Then perhaps Marvin takes a front office job. I'm no Marvin fan but I'll be sad the day Marvin leaves if Hue is announced as head coach.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Wouldn't surprise me to see Hue as OC, Marvin as DC, and both as co-HCs for next year. It's what would make Mikey wet himself.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Adam Zimmer...… if he gets a problem he can't figure out, he would have not only Marvin but Mike to call to help him out.
Reply/Quote