Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 Draft Class Contract Renegotiations
I hope we do what other teams do and push the cap hits as far into the future as possible. Pay Joe Burrow after he retires and keep our window as open as possible for as long as possible. Then after he retires we can suck for a few years and I'll be okay with it.
Reply/Quote
The Browns had to pay their QB guaranteed money because they go thru QB like crazy. Joe Burrow will get every penny of this deal and another contract after this one. We are going to keep him around for a very long time he is getting multiple deals here. We will learn how much the cap goes up this year and see how much we can spend.

With the NFL knowing we got to sign Joe this offseason and most of the other owners voting against us every chance they get the raise in cap space will most likely be 25 cents.
Reply/Quote
Don’t believe there will be any discussion about extension this off-season. I would expect they will exercise 5th year option when the time comes and then begin to negotiate extension after the end of next year.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 07:24 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: Don’t believe there will be any discussion about extension this off-season. I would expect they will exercise 5th year option when the time comes and then begin to negotiate extension after the end of next year.

That's a typical Bengal move for sure. Seems to me it'd be a good idea to go on and get him inked. Then you'll know how much you have to spend, who to exercise options on (see Higgins hopefully), etc. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Im going to go on record now and guess with how focused and matter of fact Burrow usually is that hes not the type to give discounts. He seems like a guy who got it through the mud, and worked too hard to then give a discount on his 1st big deal. IMO hes gonna take every cent hes worth and HOPEFULLY if that is his intent hes made it known beforehand so that it inst a surprise.

Now what I HOPE happens is he takes a discount with the express promise that the money will go to Jamarr and Tee. I could absolutely see him doing that too, because Burrow is also smart and thank GOD the Aaron Rodgers shit happened before was a free agent. Because there is now RECENT proof that the QB eating the cap hurts the team. All we have to do is look at Arod and the Packers.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 08:45 PM)Housh Wrote: Im going to go on record now and guess with how focused and matter of fact Burrow usually is that hes not the type to give discounts. He seems like a guy who got it through the mud, and worked too hard to then give a discount on his 1st big deal. IMO hes gonna take every cent hes worth and HOPEFULLY if that is his intent hes made it known beforehand so that it inst a surprise.

Now what I HOPE happens is he takes a discount with the express promise that the money will go to Jamarr and Tee. I could absolutely see him doing that too, because Burrow is also smart and thank GOD the Aaron Rodgers shit happened before was a free agent. Because there is now RECENT proof that the QB eating the cap hurts the team. All we have to do is look at Arod and the Packers.

We'll see.  Mahomes' deal was a record setter, but it was structured pretty good for the team.

I don't think Burrow will set the market (and if he does, it won't be the top deal for long as someone will one up it).

I also think Burrow isn't stupid.  He's smart enough to realize that leaving some stuff on the table will only help the team long term.  I wouldn't be shocked to see him get a huge bonus, but have the salary relatively small the first few years.
Reply/Quote
I think we can keep Burrow, Chase and Higgins if they want to. The cap should increase dramatically in the next few years.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 11:15 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think we can keep Burrow, Chase and Higgins if they want to.  The cap should increase dramatically in the next few years.

Burrow is making $10 mil. That extension could be $55 mil per, or more. 

Tee is making $2 million. He could be in $20-$25 mil range. 

Chase is making $9 to $10 mil. He is gonna cost $25-$30 million. 

Perhaps we can get creative with length and structure to minimize cap hits, but that is plus $80-$85 mil, yearly. Those 3 guys could cost $100 mil per year in 2026. 

I know the cap is gonna go up, but not THAT much. $40 mil, maybe. Plus, there are some other guys who need paid or replaced (Wilson, Pratt, Bell, Hurst, Apple, etc). 
Reply/Quote
We will extend Joe Burrow and the rest will or will not take what they can get here.

I feel there's no way both WRs will be here in 2 years.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 11:25 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Burrow is making $10 mil. That extension could be $55 mil per, or more. 

Tee is making $2 million. He could be in $20-$25 mil range. 

Chase is making $9 to $10 mil. He is gonna cost $25-$30 million. 

Perhaps we can get creative with length and structure to minimize cap hits, but that is plus $80-$85 mil, yearly. Those 3 guys could cost $100 mil per year in 2026. 

I know the cap is gonna go up, but not THAT much. $40 mil, maybe. Plus, there are some other guys who need paid or replaced (Wilson, Pratt, Bell, Hurst, Apple, etc). 

Historically it has gone up about 10-12 million per year.  We have roughly $40 million in cap space next year.  So if you look about 6-7 years in the future, the cap should be around $300 million.  If contracts are structured correctly, it's definitely possible to keep them and have a good roster.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 03:54 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Come what may, I just hope Burrow understands the long-term ramifications of one contract taking up too much cap.
Joey's goal is to win a Super Bowl, and I know he's smart enough to realize he needs an O-line and WRs and they're going to cost $$$.   Once he gets a few rings under his belt, he may change his tune but not for now. 
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 08:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's a typical Bengal move for sure. Seems to me it'd be a good idea to go on and get him inked. Then you'll know how much you have to spend, who to exercise options on (see Higgins hopefully), etc. 

Nah. They gave Palmer an extension at the end of his 3rd year. It's pretty common and i'd expect the Bengals to do the same thing. You don't wait till the end of the contract with an elite QB. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 12:29 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Nah. They gave Palmer an extension at the end of his 3rd year. It's pretty common and i'd expect the Bengals to do the same thing. You don't wait till the end of the contract with an elite QB. 

Never

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Better to lock him up early and get locked into a lower price for atleast 7 years.

Prices and Salary Cap will continue to go up.
Reply/Quote
I love Tee but I don't know how they can make that work along with Burrow and Chase. We'll see.
Irwin is a guy I've liked for awhile and he can no doubt take over for Boyd.
Maybe we draft another wideout high to repace Tee. Maybe we trade him.
Wide Receivers only have 8 good years a lot of the time.
Reply/Quote
I don’t give two _____ about Joe or Tee’s contract until long after the season.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals will push to get Tee an extension, Mike Brown mentioned that both WRs were going to focused on. The problem we might face is that Tee's agent is David Mulugheta.

I think we'll need to see what the Vikings do with Jefferson for a future Chase deal.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
The home page articles earlier in the season mentioned several times they will start working on Joe's contract as soon as this season ends. There will be no waiting with that one. As for Tee and Jamar, they both went over 1000 again this year. If these guys are looking at the HOF, they know they need to stay with a top tier QB like Burrow, They just need to get their agents under control.
Reply/Quote
Team won't be able to afford Tee. Especially after some of the WR contracts we saw this offseason.

Tee knows there will be a team out there in free agency that will break the bank for him, and frankly he deserves it.
Reply/Quote

Such a long time ago

Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote