Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 Draft Class Contract Renegotiations
The league just signed a new NFL Sunday Ticket deal with You Tube, my guess huge price was paid to the NFL versus a deal with Direct TV done many years ago and expired.

This extra money goes right to the owners to pay for the cap which should go up significantly again in 2023.

If Bengals can't sign Higgins, then in 2025 we likely get a 3rd round pick for him or a team may trade for him and we get more. I want him signed, but we pay over 10 million to our 3rd receiver Boyd, I would rather try and find a slot receiver (rookie or Irwin( who would be paid less, get read of Boyd's 10+ million and use it on Tee.

I also think Mixon's days may be numbered, he also make a ton of money.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 07:24 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: Don’t believe there will be any discussion about extension this off-season. I would expect they will exercise 5th year option when the time comes and then begin to negotiate extension after the end of next year.

Disagree.  The Bengals have a number of important players whose contract expire within the next 2 years.  They are hamstrung until they know how much Joe Burrow will cost them.  Their goal will be to lock him up before the start of next season

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Some cap Bengals facts:

In 2022 we had 15.8 million in dead cap, most we have ever head due to Waynes, Reiff and many others. In 2023  as of now we have 600K in 2023 and 2024  dead cap as of now.

Boyd is in last year of his contract in 2023. He makes 10.3 million, if cut he has 1.4 million in dead cap, but frees up 8.9 million.
Mixon makes 12,850 million in 2023, if cut 5.5 million in dead cap so unlikely he is cut in 2023. In 2024, he makes over 13 million and dead cap of 2.75 million. By cutting or trading him they save over 10 million in cap space.

The defense has some areas to address also. Bates, Pratt and CB's need to signed in 2023.

It will challenging keeping all of the current team together, but I think more likely Mixon is gone in 2024 and Boyd is gone possibly in 2023 so we can sign Higgins, Burrow and Pratt in 2023.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Burrow will get paid, as he should, but I would bet he will be fine with it being structured in a way that is helpful to the team and won't need a fully guaranteed deal. I think it will be a lot like Mahomes deal, tons of money, over a long period of time with a decent amount guaranteed. They also will want to get it done ASAP because if Herbert is signed 1st, Burrows deal will then have to at least match that.

Drafting well will be essential to field a balanced competitive team as you can't afford to resign everyone.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 02:01 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Well I can’t bold it but not being the best hasn’t stopped any halfway okay QB from wanting top dollar. Like Murray and soon to be Jackson. Shit look what Cousins got at the time.

I’m hoping but not expecting Joe may take less than top dollar to secure the talent around him.

Lamar jackson is not a so so QB.. his record when he plays for Baltimore is 49-21, best winning percentage of any QB since he came into league.. when they play without him 4-7...  He will be getting top dollar also
Reply/Quote
If we do a long term say 10 years, with injuries to QBs, i would hope we guarantee only 1/3 to cover us if he gets hurt and can;t play at that level anymore
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 01:20 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Lamar jackson is not a so so QB.. his record when he plays for Baltimore is 49-21, best winning percentage of any QB since he came into league.. when they play without him 4-7...  He will be getting top dollar also

I think the Ravens are in a tough spot. No doubt Lamar is a great running QB, but an average passing QB. But, the biggest issue for any team giving him the top contract for QB's is injury. It would be tough for me to lock Jackson up for 8 to 10 years with a ton of GUARANTEED money. 

The Watson guaranteed money deal puts the Ravens and all teams in a tough position. I am not so sure Jackson and the Ravens can work out a deal if he demands most of his contract guaranteed. He is his own agent, so we will see how this contract negotiation progresses very soon.

I do agree, Jackson was a MVP, but is he a Culpepper, Vick or Cam Newton or is he a Drew Brees long term?

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 01:20 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Lamar jackson is not a so so QB.. his record when he plays for Baltimore is 49-21, best winning percentage of any QB since he came into league.. when they play without him 4-7...  He will be getting top dollar also

He will get paid but I think he has missed what like 30% of the Ravens games in the last two years.  That isn't going to help his cause.  

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 01:23 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: If we do a long term say 10 years, with injuries to QBs, i would hope we guarantee only 1/3 to cover us if he gets hurt and can;t play at that level anymore

I think Burrow will ask for more like 70% (and get it) of his contract guaranteed. Maybe more as Joe is not a running QB, he is a pocket passer.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 12:04 PM)pally Wrote: Disagree.  The Bengals have a number of important players whose contract expire within the next 2 years.  They are hamstrung until they know how much Joe Burrow will cost them.  Their goal will be to lock him up before the start of next season

Really hope you all are right. Would like to see an announcement no later than July, sooner the better.
Reply/Quote
Burrow is hard to get a read on. He’s all about “team”. Does that translate at the negotiation table? We’ll find out. Tee doesn’t strike me at a “gimme all the money” type player.

But, for certain, Tee is an elite WR…probably top 5 in the league. He’s WR1 on any other team without J’Mar Chase.

Joe Burrow? I think a credible case can be made that HE IS the best QB in the league. Probably my “homer” showing itself, but I wouldn’t trade Joe for Mahomes nor Allen, straight up.

I predict his deal will be of the 10 year variety….heavily back loaded with a big signing bonus. Tee? If he pulls off some playoff/SuperBowl magic, he’ll be one of the highest paid WR in the league.
Reply/Quote
Joe is currently 20th

1. Aaron Rodgers (Packers): $50.3 million (3-year, $150.8 million contract)
2. Russell Wilson (Broncos): $49 million (5-year, $245 million contract)
3. Kyler Murray (Cardinals): $46.1 million (5-year, $230.5 million contract)
4. Deshaun Watson (Browns): $46 million (5-year $230 million contract)
5. Patrick Mahomes (Chiefs): $45 million (10-year $450 million contract)
6. Josh Allen (Bills): $43 million (6-year $258 million contract)
7. Derek Carr (Raiders): $40.47 million (3-year, $121.4 million contract)
T-8. Dak Prescott (Cowboys): $40 million (4-year, $160 million contract)
T-8. Matt Stafford (Rams): $40 million (4-year $160 million contract)
T-10. Kirk Cousins (Vikings): $35 million (1-year $35 million contract)

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 01:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think the Ravens are in a tough spot. No doubt Lamar is a great running QB, but an average passing QB. But, the biggest issue for any team giving him the top contract for QB's is injury. It would be tough for me to lock Jackson up for 8 to 10 years with a ton of GUARANTEED money. 

The Watson guaranteed money deal puts the Ravens and all teams in a tough position. I am not so sure Jackson and the Ravens can work out a deal if he demands most of his contract guaranteed. He is his own agent, so we will see how this contract negotiation progresses very soon.

I do agree, Jackson was a MVP, but is he a Culpepper, Vick or Cam Newton or is he a Drew Brees long term?

I agree. As crazy as it sounds - if Lamar is asking for his contract to be fully guaranteed - I'd have to walk away from that. 

He's hamstrung them the past two years because of injury. He's an average pocket passer who relies on his athleticism more than his arm. That isn't going to age well, especially if he continues getting beat up every year. 

I could also see the Ravens franchise tagging him and then possibly trading him. I highly doubt he would play a down on the franchise tag, though. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

The Raven just gave Roquan Smith 5 years $100 million,  $45 million up to $60 million guaranteed.  He is now the highest paid Will linebacker in the league

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 07:24 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: Don’t believe there will be any discussion about extension this off-season. I would expect they will exercise 5th year option when the time comes and then begin to negotiate extension after the end of next year.

You don't exercise a 5th year option on a QB like Joe. Hell, they didn't even do that with Andy Dalton. Joe will be extended this off-season. 

EDIT - Andy was a 2nd rounder, whoops. He didn't have an option. He was extended after his third season, though, which is what I was originally thinking of. Carson was also extended after his third season. Joe will have a headline this off-season.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 03:42 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: You don't exercise a 5th year option on a QB like Joe. Hell, they didn't even do that with Andy Dalton. Joe will be extended this off-season. 

If you extend Joey B now you can use his last year and his 5th year option to spread out the money more. Same thing with Ja'Marr Chase next off-season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 03:42 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: You don't exercise a 5th year option on a QB like Joe. Hell, they didn't even do that with Andy Dalton. Joe will be extended this off-season. 

Dalton was a 2nd round pick.  He didn't have a 5th year option

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 03:55 PM)pally Wrote: Dalton was a 2nd round pick.  He didn't have a 5th year option

Shoot, that didn't even cross my mind. Thanks. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 03:55 PM)Synric Wrote: If you extend Joey B now you can use his last year and his 5th year option to spread out the money more. Same thing with Ja'Marr Chase next off-season.

Good point. I was sloppy in what I was trying to communicate. I think a better way of saying it is "you don't forego extending a QB like Joe just so you can exercise his 5th year option." It sounds nice to say "man, we have two more years before we have to worry about extending him" but that isn't how it is done. 
Reply/Quote
Regarding Lamar Jackson, he's been hurt the last 2 seasons. Dropping a ton of guaranteed money on him ain't happening. And, I feel that's where the stalemate is. Is he hurt right now? I dunno? Harbaugh is playing fast and loose with the truth. Plus, Lamar may be dogging his injury because he believes it's a good negotiation tool (by saying you can't win without me).

They'll franchise him. He won't like it. Personally, I think the Ravens should pull a Houston Texans move they had with Watson. Let someone else pay him but land a ton of high draft picks in return. Huntley has been pretty good for them. Put some high draft capital around him, and he could make a nice bridge into another first round QB. Those are the Ravens best plays. Paying a huge amount of money to a fragile NFL QB who's hurt a lot, is not a good football, nor a good business move.

And, if Lamar wants to walk, there will be no shortage of teams looking to opening up a bank to pay him for a quick fix. Then, you'll have Watson craziness part 2.
Reply/Quote