Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 should be a great year
It was a rough, rough season, but things look better than they have in years.

We're most likely drafting the best quarterback prospect we've had since we drafted Carson. We've also got high picks in the rest of the draft and should have some flexibility.

We had some players come on late that could be solid starters. Pratt may be one of my new favorite guys. He's not blowing anything up, but he looks like he's going to be a reliable guy, judging by the last several games. Jordan may give us some rotational line help. Those were two bigger concerns at the start of the season, but don't seem as pressing heading into the draft.

We've also been using the waiver wire, which is a good sign that we're going to be active bringing in new guys.

Our coaching improved as the season went on, too.

Toss in a most likely weaker schedule (we ended the season with one in the top 10ish).

2020 is going to be a good year for the team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 09:25 PM)Benton Wrote: It was a rough, rough season, but things look better than they have in years.

We're most likely drafting the best quarterback prospect we've had since we drafted Carson. We've also got high picks in the rest of the draft and should have some flexibility.

We had some players come on late that could be solid starters. Pratt may be one of my new favorite guys. He's not blowing anything up, but he looks like he's going to be a reliable guy, judging by the last several games. Jordan may give us some rotational line help. Those were two bigger concerns at the start of the season, but don't seem as pressing heading into the draft.

We've also been using the waiver wire, which is a good sign that we're going to be active bringing in new guys.

Toss in a most likely weaker schedule (we ended the season with one in the top 10ish).

Probably going to be a lot of dudes giving you crap for this Benton but you make a lot of good points and as long as 
the coaches come along and learn we will be better. Van Pelt is still an outstanding QB coach and that sure helps big 
time with Burrow and not ruining him as Shake and I have feared might happen with this staff.

Need to get a new DC though. I like Pratt, always have but we need more fast LB's like him that can tackle and cover.

The O-line improved big time as the year went on. Turner isn't nearly as bad as the Piano Man.
Reply/Quote
I'm not super hopeful, honestly. The coaching staff scares me. Hopefully Taylor learned a lot this season, and improves a ton next year. I would like Green to come back next year too, but I hope at a reasonable price considering that he's been super injury prone lately. I would love to see the Bengals kick some ass next season.

Our SoS next season shouldn't be too bad. We have the NFC east AFC south with the Chargers and Dolphins mixed in. I'm not sure if we could have an easier schedule next year.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 10:37 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I'm not super hopeful, honestly. The coaching staff scares me. Hopefully Taylor learned a lot this season, and improves a ton next year. I would like Green to come back next year too, but I hope at a reasonable price considering that he's been super injury prone lately. I would love to see the Bengals kick some ass next season.

Our SoS next season shouldn't be too bad. We have the NFC east AFC south with the Chargers and Dolphins mixed in. I'm not sure if we could have an easier schedule next year.

It helps we are getting the #1 pick and we are first on the waiver wire too.

The coaching staff should scare everyone from what we saw this year but the opposition.

Zac Taylor needs to step away from the Play Calling duties.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 09:25 PM)Benton Wrote: It was a rough, rough season, but things look better than they have in years.

I like your way of thinking! ThumbsUp  Let's hope it works out for the best! Really nowhere to go but up! WhoDey 2020!
Reply/Quote

2019 was supposed to be a great year too. So was 2018 and 2017. You get the point
Reply/Quote

Actually I would argue Dalton ended up a better prospect as QB, 5 to 2 playoffs vs Palmer,Dalton career highest winning percentage 
Reply/Quote
I tend to agree with Benton. This team has been on a downward trajectory, since the ill fated ending to the 2015 season. They finally hit rock bottom, about 2/3 of the way through this season. The only direction to go from rock bottom, is back up. The young players are developing, the veterans still have pride, the coaches are learning on the job. This is a team that finally "found" itself.

Add in a new franchise QB, a new franchise LT, a couple of well selected draft picks, sprinkle in a few key free agent acquisitions, and all of a sudden, 2020 looks like a much brighter future for the Bengals.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 11:31 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Actually I would argue Dalton ended up a better prospect as QB, 5 to 2 playoffs vs Palmer,Dalton career highest winning percentage 

Dalton had better Defenses though.

Palmer never had no Geno's or Dunlap's very long.

And Palmer went to the Cards and actually won a Playoff game.

Carson also made a great throw before he got taken out of the Steeler Playoff game which means he could of played well
maybe in a big damn game. Never seen this with Dalton and I like Dalton and have always supported him and like him 
better than Carson as a person. Just have to say who is the more talented QB.

Dalton is and always will be a Bengal great for how he has handled everything. Great man.

Cannot blame Carson either, lets move on to Burrow and hopefully another even better Bengal great will emerge.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 11:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I tend to agree with Benton.  This team has been on a downward trajectory, since the ill fated ending to the 2015 season.  They finally hit rock bottom, about 2/3 of the way through this season.  The only direction to go from rock bottom, is back up.  The young players are developing, the veterans still have pride, the coaches are learning on the job.  This is a team that finally "found" itself.

Add in a new franchise QB, a new franchise LT, a couple of well selected draft picks, sprinkle in a few key free agent acquisitions, and all of a sudden, 2020 looks like a much brighter future for the Bengals.

I gotta say that as bad as the coaching was this year under Zac, the players never gave up.

Last season there was a lackluster way to the way they played, like they didn't even care.

The players look like they might fight for this guy.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 09:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Probably going to be a lot of dudes giving you crap for this Benton but you make a lot of good points and as long as 
the coaches come along and learn we will be better. 

Cool

I'm ok with that. I live in titans/Steelers country, I'm used to guys giving me crap.

But agreed, a lot of it is going to depend on the staff coming together. Chiefly the defense. I'm a bigger fan of defense than offense. No matter who plays under center, we aren't going to win giving up 30+ points a game.

(01-03-2020, 10:37 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I'm not super hopeful, honestly. The coaching staff scares me. Hopefully Taylor learned a lot this season, and improves a ton next year. I would like Green to come back next year too, but I hope at a reasonable price considering that he's been super injury prone lately. I would love to see the Bengals kick some ass next season.

It's up to green, I think. Brown likes to be loyal to players, but if green thinks he can make what he made on the last deal, he's not getting it.

I'd like to see him stay, but it's kind of like eiffert now: only if it's at a reasonable price.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 11:51 PM)Benton Wrote: Cool

I'm ok with that. I live in titans/Steelers country, I'm used to guys giving me crap.

But agreed, a lot of it is going to depend on the staff coming together. Chiefly the defense. I'm a bigger fan of defense than offense. No matter who plays under center, we aren't going to win giving up 30+ points a game.

It's up to green, I think. Brown likes to be loyal to players, but if green thinks he can make what he made on the last deal, he's not getting it.

I'd like to see him stay, but it's kind of like eiffert now: only if it's at a reasonable price.

Need to get a new DC and someone besides Taylor calling the plays.

This will go a long way in getting what you say here done.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 11:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I tend to agree with Benton.  This team has been on a downward trajectory, since the ill fated ending to the 2015 season.  They finally hit rock bottom, about 2/3 of the way through this season.  The only direction to go from rock bottom, is back up.  The young players are developing, the veterans still have pride, the coaches are learning on the job.  This is a team that finally "found" itself.

Yes they have

The double barreled smashup up in 2015 of Texans, Cardinals started the decline then the coup de gras in the finale. They've been spinning around in the toilet bowl slowly going down ever since.

The XSteeler OT showed some promise, and as has been said Pratt and Phillips showed promise. ZT and the funky bunch seemed to finally be getting a clue at the end. Running game improved, Tate showed promise. There were some bright spots.

I'm still a little doubtful about Taylor but I'm willing to give him a 2nd chance.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 10:57 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: 2019 was supposed to be a great year too. So was 2018 and 2017. You get the point

And it's a fair one. But, honestly, I haven't been excited since maybe 2014 or so. And I haven't liked a draft since 2013 (think that was the one, the year we took eiffert). I'm not a huge college football guy, but every draft since then I've been bummed about. 

Not to say we've already won the draft or anything. But we're most likely taking burrow or at least young, and both make me feel really good about improving the team.
Reply/Quote

A lot of things have to happen for 2020 to be a GREAT year for the Bengals. We shall see
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 11:31 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Actually I would argue Dalton ended up a better prospect as QB, 5 to 2 playoffs vs Palmer,Dalton career highest winning percentage 

Don't disagree with your thinking, but I'm referring to prospect before they played, not after.

If you had Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton in the same draft, Carson (because of his college career, readiness and mechanics) would be the better prospect. Not a Andy vs Carson thing, just a 'who would you want before they played.'
Reply/Quote
It wont surprise me if Zac puts together a good offseason and eases some minds in Bengaland. He had some questionable moments calling plays, but I was really digging the changes they made to the run game. He seems like a guy willing to take accountability, and said the coaches will also be looking to re-evaluate and improve this offseason as well. Marvin never really took accountability. Zac seems willing to.

A good draft will be like an injection of energy into this team. I hope they nail it and think they will. A few key FA pieces and we could turn this ship around pretty good imo.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2020, 11:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Need to get a new DC

No we don't.

If Lou fluked out a game or two here or there, sure.

He consistently got great performances out of our D after the Bmore game and our players responded well.

There was great improvement in the second half of the year on all fronts, not just a game or two.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Same HC (2-14)
Same OC (26th overall/30th scoring)
Same DC (29th overall/25th scoring)
Same FO (0 Pro Bowlers last 6 drafts, thinks a good FA period is Bobby Hart/Preston Brown/CJ Uzomah/BW Webb each getting 3yr contracts)

But THIS time it'll be different.

[Image: lucy-football.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2020, 02:41 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Same HC  (2-14)
Same OC  (26th overall/30th scoring)
Same DC  (29th overall/25th scoring)
Same FO  (0 Pro Bowlers last 6 drafts, thinks a good FA period is Bobby Hart/Preston Brown/CJ Uzomah/BW Webb each getting 3yr contracts)

But THIS time it'll be different.

[Image: lucy-football.jpg]

I know right. Some of these guys are starting to sound like Clowns fans. "Just wait! Next year is our year! Souper bowlz!"
Reply/Quote