Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2022 NFL Triplets rankings:
Rank

Cincinnati Bengals
Score: 142.5 pts

Quarterback: Joe Burrow -- Rank: T-3 (One game: 4 | 2022 prod.: 3)
Running back: Joe Mixon -- Rank: 8
Pass catcher: Ja'Marr Chase -- Rank: 4

Cincinnati made a massive leap from 2021 to 2022, making a run all the way to Super Bowl LVI. There isn't a weakness in this trio: Burrow is one of the faces of the NFL's present and future under center, Chase proved to be a walking highlight reel and Mixon is about as steady as they come. As long as they stay healthy, we'll continue to talk about these three for years to come.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-triplets-rankings-bengals-eagles-climb-packers-chiefs-drop

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Next highest AFC North team is the Ravens at #14.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 09:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Next highest AFC North team is the Ravens at #14.

I'd assume if Balt. was next they used Mark Andrews as the Receiver. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I like Shook's rankings no surprise LMAO!

True though, Burrow, Chase, Mixon followed by Brady, Mike Evans, Fournette...

Those are my top 2. Lol at the dude in the video taking Hurts over Burrow just lol
Reply/Quote
The individual rankings are almost more interesting to me...

Kelce seems too low at 13, he is averaging nearly 1,300 yards the last 4 years yet isn't the highest TE even.

Baker at 15 seems too high. He stinks.

I am not sure if they penalize for injury or not because McCaffrey is 4th despite missing most of the last 2 years, but Michael Thomas missed most of the last two years and is 18th despite leading the league in both receptions and yards his last healthy year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 09:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lol at the dude in the video taking Hurts over Burrow just lol

From a purely fantasy football perspective, which was the question? Not that crazy.

It has been quite awhile since I last played fantasy football but rushing yards were always much more valuable than passing yards, and rushing TDs were more valuable than passing TDs. Also if you lose points from sacks and INTs.

Fantasy value =/= NFL value

I remember Cam Newton's rookie year he wasn't great statistically passing, but all those rushing yards and TDs were huge. Hurts ran for nearly 800 yards and 10 TDs.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 10:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The individual rankings are almost more interesting to me...

Kelce seems too low at 13, he is averaging nearly 1,300 yards the last 4 years yet isn't the highest TE even.

Baker at 15 seems too high. He stinks.

I am not sure if they penalize for injury or not because McCaffrey is 4th despite missing most of the last 2 years, but Michael Thomas missed most of the last two years and is 18th despite leading the league in both receptions and yards his last healthy year.

Good observations as I didn't look deep into it at all. I saw the dude would take Hurts over Burrow and I just went to the 
first 5 rankings of the triplets. Kelce is the best TE in the NFL, Mayfield is a bottom dweller even if he is a starter and he 
won't play us twice this season lol

McCaffrey is a RB and has been hurt as you say for the last 2 years. RB's have the shortest life in football, we will see with
him. But I think Michael Thomas could have a big bounce back year with his hands, routes and football IQ depending on if 
his QB can throw it anywhere near him. Both are great players but have not been around for a while. Therefore...

Shouldn't even be in the rankings honestly.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 10:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: From a purely fantasy football perspective, which was the question? Not that crazy.

It has been quite awhile since I last played fantasy football but rushing yards were always much more valuable than passing yards, and rushing TDs were more valuable than passing TDs. Also if you lose points from sacks and INTs.

Fantasy value =/= NFL value

I remember Cam Newton's rookie year he wasn't great statistically passing, but all those rushing yards and TDs were huge. Hurts ran for nearly 800 yards and 10 TDs.

I get that and I am the same with fantasy football, I don't even bother. But, Burrow was hurt for over half the year and is a 
very underrated running QB when healthy. This aspect seems to be ignored by that dude. Burrow will run for his most yards 
this season pretty damn sure and show why I find this absurd, let alone his passing TD's and yards that could be record 
breaking if the starters on the OL stays somewhat healthy.

I do think Hurts and the Eagles will be the bounce back team this year in the NFC and the Broncos in the AFC though.

Both had a great Offseason.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 09:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd assume if Balt. was next they used Mark Andrews as the Receiver. 

Yup. Which is kinda silly because when i think "triplets" i think QB, RB, WR. 

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 09:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd assume if Balt. was next they used Mark Andrews as the Receiver. 

Yep. But their RB is what really dragged them down (Dobbins is rated the 25th best RB.)
Reply/Quote
Great time to be a Bengals fan.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 11:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yup. Which is kinda silly because when i think "triplets" i think QB, RB, WR. 

Andrews is the closest thing they have to a good receiver there. Bateman may make a leap this year though. I really liked him coming out.
Reply/Quote
Another mega-deal for a QB. Keeping the triplets and Tee Higgins together is going to be a challenge.

Wilson just signed a five-year, $245 million extension with Denver that includes $165 million in guaranteed money, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 11:56 AM)Nepa Wrote: Another mega-deal for a QB. Keeping the triplets and Tee Higgins together is going to be a challenge.

Wilson just signed a five-year, $245 million extension with Denver that includes $165 million in guaranteed money, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

I don't think Wilson's deal meaningfully impacts Burrow's deal. We already knew Burrow was going to cost north of 50M AAV. This just, more or less, confirms it.

The nice thing is that Wilson's deal wasn't fully guaranteed, so I think the odds that any player other than Watson gets that fully guaranteed contract are pretty slim, which should help us keep the triplet together.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 10:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Baker at 15 seems too high. He stinks.

Where are you putting him?

Last year was bad but he was playing hurt.  Outside of that season his career hasn't been all that different statistically from the first 5-6 years of Dalton's.  You know the perennial middle of the road measuring stick.

Looking down the list I could see dropping him to 18 maybe but really it's muddy in the middle and a lot of those guys are interchangeable.

I'm not a baker fan or defender I'm just curious because you brought it up.
Reply/Quote
I believe Josh Allen is overrated. I think the Raiders are overrated, I just don't have that much faith in Carr. I think the Chiefs are underrated, the Vikings over them ? really. And yes I get that it's a trio rating.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 09:37 AM)Au165 Wrote: Andrews is the closest thing they have to a good receiver there. Bateman may make a leap this year though. I really liked him coming out.

I liked him coming out too. Was hoping to land him in rd2 if the Bengals had gone Sewell but it would have been moot since BLT took him at the end of 1. 

I get why they included the TEs. It just looks weird to me when the original intent of "triplets" were QB, RB, WR.  It's become kind of watered down since there aren't a lot of teams that have the classic, talented, triplets ala the Cowboys back in the '90s.

Reply/Quote
Name a better 5 than the Bengals currently have including Tee and Boyd in this.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 02:14 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Name a better 5 than the Bengals currently have including Tee and Boyd in this.

Tampa would be close
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 12:27 PM)motoarch Wrote: Where are you putting him?

Last year was bad but he was playing hurt.  Outside of that season his career hasn't been all that different statistically from the first 5-6 years of Dalton's.  You know the perennial middle of the road measuring stick.

Looking down the list I could see dropping him to 18 maybe but really it's muddy in the middle and a lot of those guys are interchangeable.

I'm not a baker fan or defender I'm just curious because you brought it up.

Dalton never had the offensive line and dominate running game that Baker has enjoyed his whole career. Browns team rushing...
2018: 14th ypg/11th ypc
2019: 12th ypg/5th ypc
2020: 3rd ypg/5th ypc
2021: 4th ypg/2nd ypc

(Bengals 2011-2014 were 19th/27th, 18th/20th, 18th/27th, and 6th/12th. Even the best YPC year was worse than the worst Browns YPC year.)

If I had to choose just 1 single reason of why Baker stinks? He just isn't accurate enough to be any good. Baker Comp%+ (100 is league average for that year, with each +/-1 being that % better/worse than league average)...
2018: 101
2019: 79
2020: 92
2018: 79
(Dalton was 95, 105, 101, 108)

Injured last year or not, you have an elite running game and a top-5 OL and yet you're 21% below average in half your years? That's brutally bad. Aside from the big question about accuracy (I would argue the most important quality for an NFL QB, sorry Josh Allen hype) the biggest difference between Dalton and Mayfield in my mind is that Dalton's lows were much higher than Mayfield. 

Dalton QB Rating+
2011: 94
2012: 103
2013: 103
2014: 93

Mayfield QB Rating+
2018: 105
2019: 82
2020: 106
2021: 88

The extra 2-3% on the up years doesn't offset the 5-11% loss on the down years. Dalton was the bare minimum of a good starting QB. If you give a guy a top-5 OL and a top-5 running game, and he's still worse than Dalton? He stinks. At least he stinks as far as starting QBs go. 

I would have him ~25th range among starters.

Reply/Quote