Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 RB Draft Prospects Group Assessment
(03-07-2023, 05:11 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: A RB to keep your eye on is Chase Brown.  I know some are thinking Bigsby for Bengals.  I don't think he would work for what they need.

(03-07-2023, 05:20 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, I mentioned Brown early on. Love watching him play. All he does is produce, and he's prolific in pass protection. 

Major Chase Brown dittos. Good pass protector as you say and is just productive. Was leading the country in rushing at one point last 
year before he had an injury. Got to watch him a couple times and was impressed. Another RB I liked was Dye out of Oregon and he 
is a good pass protector. Charbonnet we have met with who also could fit what we need.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 05:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Major Chase Brown dittos. Good pass protector as you say and is just productive. Was leading the country in rushing at one point last 
year before he had an injury. Got to watch him a couple times and was impressed. Another RB I liked was Dye out of Oregon and he 
is a good pass protector. Charbonnet we have met with who also could fit what we need.
 I agree with some others. We need a RB who can do many different things and has SPEED we lack that in the RB room. Nobody can make a play and take it to the house on any given play. I like guys like Gibbs, Abanikanda,Robinson,Spears, Zach Evans,Brown etc. Resign Perine and get us a back with some SPEED to help take this offense to another level.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 05:32 PM)pulses Wrote:  I agree with some others. We need a RB who can do many different things and has SPEED we lack that in the RB room. 

I really have no additional info but rather a hunch that they would value a Jahmyr Gibbs addition highly.  4.36 speed, with good hands, and he can handle returns if needed also.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 06:38 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I really have no additional info but rather a hunch that they would value a Jahmyr Gibbs addition highly.  4.36 speed, with good hands, and he can handle returns if needed also.  

I would be extremely happy with Gibbs.
Reply/Quote
The two top RBs are the two best playmakers in the draft.

Either would be a home run pick at 28.

Did a mock the other day and traded back with the Chiefs from 28 to 31 so I could get Dawand Jones and picks and they took Gibbs, and it broke my heart.
Then I did another and took Gibbs at 28 and they took Dawand at 31. And it broke my heart again. 
Reply/Quote
This draft could shape up to be a late round version of the Chase vs Sewell vs Pitts draft. TE and OT are both obvious needs but the Bengals have shown in the past that they will take the elite weapon over a need. Not saying they will this time but it ended up being the right choice in that draft simply because Chase completely changed our offense. Gibbs has the potential to do the same. Not to mention that WR’s/RB’s tend to adjust to the NFL faster than OT’s and TE’s. Whoever we pick in the first, I hope it is someone who can contribute right away and not someone who will sit on the bench for a year.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 05:32 PM)pulses Wrote:  I agree with some others. We need a RB who can do many different things and has SPEED we lack that in the RB room. Nobody can make a play and take it to the house on any given play. I like guys like Gibbs, Abanikanda,Robinson,Spears, Zach Evans,Brown etc. Resign Perine and get us a back with some SPEED to help take this offense to another level.

As long as the speed can pass block, I am all for it. Gibbs isn't a very good pass blocker which concerns me. Both Roschon Johnson
and Chase Brown are good pass blockers and they have speed, maybe not Gibbs speed but they can break big runs.
Reply/Quote
What do you think of DeWayne McBride? He is rated strong by PFF.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Give me Tayjae Spears in the 3rd round. Kid is the absolute playmaker that this offense needs in the backfield.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 06:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: As long as the speed can pass block, I am all for it. Gibbs isn't a very good pass blocker which concerns me. Both Roschon Johnson
and Chase Brown are good pass blockers and they have speed, maybe not Gibbs speed but they can break big runs.

I can understand your concern with pass blocking but you sometimes have to take less in one attribute to get what you want in another. Tyjae Spears is a legit playmaker in that the backfield that has the chance to go the distance every time he touches the ball. He was not really used at Tulane in pass blocking so this may not be a strength of his. This is where the coaching staff must adjust their schemes to account for these things, but I do not believe you pass on what this kid brings to the field because of this.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 06:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: As long as the speed can pass block, I am all for it. Gibbs isn't a very good pass blocker which concerns me. Both Roschon Johnson

Any team is going to keep Gibbs passpro opportunities to a minimum. Probably more a chip and release to the flat or just a quick flat on most 3rd downs he's in. Gibbs is more 1st and 2nd down, 'bust one at any time' back. His comps are guys like Kamara and Cook and i'd take that all day, regardless of his blocking ability. Speed kills.

Of course, it all depends on where you're looking to take a RB. If a T is taken in FA, that frees the way for a guy like Gibbs and his big play potential far outweighs his lack of blocking ability. If you take a back later in the draft, then you'd be better off going with a better blocker (assuming Perine/Mixon are still there). 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 10:51 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I can understand your concern with pass blocking but you sometimes have to take less in one attribute to get what you want in another. Tyjae Spears is a legit playmaker in that the backfield that has the chance to go the distance every time he touches the ball. He was not really used at Tulane in pass blocking so this may not be a strength of his. This is where the coaching staff must adjust their schemes to account for these things, but I do not believe you pass on what this kid brings to the field because of this.

I do want a scary RB, Gibbs and Spears fit this mold. Haven't had that Back that can just take it the distance here since maybe Dillon
and he was more of a big RB that would wear down Defenses before taking it the distance.

(03-09-2023, 01:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Any team is going to keep Gibbs passpro opportunities to a minimum. Probably more a chip and release to the flat or just a quick flat on most 3rd downs he's in. Gibbs is more 1st and 2nd down, 'bust one at any time' back. His comps are guys like Kamara and Cook and i'd take that all day, regardless of his blocking ability. Speed kills.

Of course, it all depends on where you're looking to take a RB. If a T is taken in FA, that frees the way for a guy like Gibbs and his big play potential far outweighs his lack of blocking ability. If you take a back later in the draft, then you'd be better off going with a better blocker (assuming Perine/Mixon are still there). 

We would have to be creative and like you said use Gibbs or Spears on chips and releases like you say out in the flat. These are
rare backs that we haven't had here. I can understand a Bengal fan really banging the table for one. I guess we could take a flier 
on one of these guys if the RB coaches think they can teach whoever we take. Samaje helps as he is a good pass blocker.
Reply/Quote
What are peoples thoughts on Marshall RB laborn?
Reply/Quote
Chase Brown is very similar to Michigan RB Blake Corum who decided to not go pro. I see both as good change of pace backs but their upside is Maurice Jones Drew. Good value in later rounds but they don’t really have the size to be dangerous as a RB1.
Reply/Quote
Tank Bigsby is raw but could be the steal of the draft. I honestly like him better than Gibbs.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 04:04 PM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: What are peoples thoughts on Marshall RB laborn?

Didn't watch any Marshall games last year so no opinion on Laborn at this moment.

(03-09-2023, 04:10 PM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: Chase Brown is very similar to Michigan RB Blake Corum who decided to not go pro. I see both as good change of pace backs but their upside is Maurice Jones Drew. Good value in later rounds but they don’t really have the size to be dangerous as a RB1.

Disagree on Brown or Corum not having the size to be a #1. Both are built thick, maybe not MJD thick but who was?

That guy was a bowling ball...

(03-09-2023, 04:18 PM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: Tank Bigsby is raw but could be the steal of the draft. I honestly like him better than Gibbs.

I do like Tank Bigsby a lot and he is a bit of a better pass protector than Gibbs which is essential here.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 11:13 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: Or do they look at Charbonnet as a complete cow-bell in 2?

I still go RBBC with Perine and draft Spears in 3/4. 

The more I look at Charbonnet the more I think he is the perfect fit for the Bengals

Might be a tad slower than Bijan and Gibbs but is a better blocker, has great moves, and a load to bring down. 

Seems to check all the boxes to me. Only problem is that not sure he makes it to Bengals second pick without them trading up. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

Like Roschon a lot,  yet wouldn't call him a speed demon, but what a physical runner he is  with very low mileage and a high football IQ.

Am now officially on the Charbonnet band wagon though with Roschon as a back up plan or double dip option if he slipped

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 10:37 AM)Synric Wrote: So how high do you take Tyjae Spears now? Would you take him over guys like Kenny McIntosh and Chase Brown?

Spears is still a smaller back so his workload will be less. His pass blocking is a work in progress putting it lightly. Going into year one he's a weapon you could probably use for 12 to 15 touches a game... but what you could get from those 12 touches could change the game because of that explosiveness and speed.

EDIT: Also if the Bengals take someone like Spears or say MacIntosh do they count on Perine ina RBBC or do they completely rebuild the room and take Chris Rodriguez jr or Camerun Peoples late as a match set?

Your assessment of Spears and his pass blocking does not seem to match up with what Senior Bowl staffs had to say about it. They stated he was a standout in blitz pickup drills.

Quote:"I did OK, but I feel like I can do better today," Spears said on Wednesday morning when asked to evaluate his first day of practice. "There's more in store for Day 2."

Spears was right: Wednesday brought more explosive, fastest-guy-on-the-field runs from the 5-foot-9, 204-pound back who rushed for 1,581 yards and 19 touchdowns in 2022, including 17-205-4 in the Cotton Bowl against USC. Spears also stood out in pass protection drills, where a running back demonstrates whether or not coaches will trust him enough to put him on the field as a rookie.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2023/tyjae-spears-evan-hull-storm-senior-bowl
Reply/Quote
OK, circling back to RB after the first wave of FA, and the Perine departure. Holyfield remains unsigned. We carried 4 last year. Elliot's agent/tweet from last week said he'd make a decision by the end of the next week. Which is today.

Position Group #6: Running Back

I.  2023 Roster Status:

A. Signed = 3.  Cap Hit;  Dead Cap; FA Year/Type

1.  J. Mixon (RB#1): $12,761,754; $5,500,000;  2024 TO/'25 UFA
2.  T.  Williams (RB#3/KR#1): $1,092,500; $52,500; 2024 UFA
3.  C. Evans (RB#4/KR#2): $983,222; $86,444; 2025 UFA
--------------

B.  Unsigned = 1.   2022 Cap Hit; FA Type

1. E. Holyfield (PS, IR): UFA
Reply/Quote