Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 RB Draft Prospects Group Assessment
I just saw another interesting tidbit on Tyjae Spears. He averaged 4.18 yards after contact and the only back higher than him in this category was Bijan Robinson.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 03:08 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I just saw another interesting tidbit on Tyjae Spears. He averaged 4.18 yards after contact and the only back higher than him in this category was Bijan Robinson.

His 40 time was not that impressive at his pro day but I would love to have him. I really like Gibbs to.
Reply/Quote
Marshall's former 5 star recruit Khalan Laborn's pro day results.

5'11 212
4.44 Forty Yard Dash
6.92 3-Cone
10.5 Broad Jump
38.5 Vertical Jump
23 Bench Reps (wow)

Khalan Laborn has alot of red flags from his time at Florida State but he did finish his degree there before he transferred to Marshall to continue his football career which shows some maturity. He had 1513 on 302 attempts at 5.0 yards per carry and 16 touchdowns in 2022 but only 16 catches for 116 yards. He did look good running routes at his pro day.

Laborn is a 7th or UDFA take a chance guy. Bengals were one of the teams that had coaches there.

Edit: Looking at the class if it wasn't for the red flags he would probably be a day 2 guy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 04:04 PM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: What are peoples thoughts on Marshall RB laborn?

(04-03-2023, 12:17 AM)Synric Wrote: Marshall's former 5 star recruit Khalan Laborn's pro day results.

5'11 212
4.44 Forty Yard Dash
6.92 3-Cone
10.5 Broad Jump
38.5 Vertical Jump
23 Bench Reps (wow)

Khalan Laborn has alot of red flags from his time at Florida State but he did finish his degree there before he transferred to Marshall to continue his football career which shows some maturity. He had 1513 on 302 attempts at 5.0 yards per carry and 16 touchdowns in 2022 but only 16 catches for 116 yards. He did look good running routes at his pro day.

Laborn is a 7th or UDFA take a chance guy. Bengals were one of the teams that had coaches there.

Edit: Looking at the class if it wasn't for the red flags he would probably be a day 2 guy.

damn. add another one to the list of guys I wouldn't mind drafting.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 02:24 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Your assessment of Spears and his pass blocking does not seem to match up with what Senior Bowl staffs had to say about it. They stated he was a standout in blitz pickup drills.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2023/tyjae-spears-evan-hull-storm-senior-bowl

One blurb from Senior Bowl drills doesn't erase years of film showing Spears struggling in pass pro in live games.  

People tend to overreact to Senior Bowl stuff, except when they paradoxically ignore Senior Bowl stuff.  For example, Darnell Wright showed up overweight and struggled during the game, giving up multiple pressures and grading mediocre by PFF, but it hasn't seemed to hurt his stock around here all that much.  
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 08:18 PM)pulses Wrote: His 40 time was not that impressive at his pro day but I would love to have him. I really like Gibbs to.

I'm pretty sure it was in the 4.4s

Conversely, a RB I like ran a high 4.6 (Eric Gray)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 12:17 AM)Synric Wrote: Marshall's former 5 star recruit Khalan Laborn's pro day results.

5'11 212
4.44 Forty Yard Dash
6.92 3-Cone
10.5 Broad Jump
38.5 Vertical Jump
23 Bench Reps (wow)

I think Mark Walton might still be a little too fresh in folk's minds. 

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 10:13 AM)Whatever Wrote: One blurb from Senior Bowl drills doesn't erase years of film showing Spears struggling in pass pro in live games.  

People tend to overreact to Senior Bowl stuff, except when they paradoxically ignore Senior Bowl stuff.  For example, Darnell Wright showed up overweight and struggled during the game, giving up multiple pressures and grading mediocre by PFF, but it hasn't seemed to hurt his stock around here all that much.  

Good point, on film Spears struggles in pass protection, same as Gibbs. Might not fit just because of this.

Charbonnet on the other hand is a good pass protector, same with Chase Brown, Roschon Johnson and Travis Dye.

Expect one of these 4 RB's as they fit our Offense.

(04-03-2023, 01:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm pretty sure it was in the 4.4s

Is Gray good in pass pro?

(04-03-2023, 01:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think Mark Walton might still be a little too fresh in folk's minds. 

Yeah, highly doubt we draft a player like Laborn even if we had coaches at his pro day.
Reply/Quote
Anyone got a good compiled list of RBs with proven pass blocking capability?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 01:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good point, on film Spears struggles in pass protection, same as Gibbs. Might not fit just because of this.

Charbonnet on the other hand is a good pass protector, same with Chase Brown, Roschon Johnson and Travis Dye.

Yeah, highly doubt we draft a player like Laborn even if we had coaches at his pro day.

When cross-referencing both NFL.com and TDN, it sounds like Gray is willing to try to pass block, but he's not very good at it.
The first thing you always want is someone who is willing, but willingness doesn't always resort to actually being successful at it.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 10:13 AM)Whatever Wrote: One blurb from Senior Bowl drills doesn't erase years of film showing Spears struggling in pass pro in live games.  

Where are these years of film that show Spears struggling in pass pro? I will wait for the link because I would really like to see it as I have watched every bit of tape on him that I can find available. 
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 01:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good point, on film Spears struggles in pass protection, same as Gibbs. Might not fit just because of this.

So you have seen this film of him struggling? Then you can link me to it because I certainly have not found it.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 01:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think Mark Walton might still be a little too fresh in folk's minds. 

Understandable but I'm glad the Bengals are doing due diligence on a possible draft steal. He had 2 team violations at Florida State the only one we know about for sure is that he was charged with possession of marijuana. If I had to bet I would say the second one that caused the dismissal from the program was a failed drug test because of the timing after the first.

Just looking at Khalan Laborn as a draft prosect we are talking day 2 quality of player. Laborn wasn't just a 5 star recruit he was the #1 RB in his recruiting year. He barely got any carries at Florida State before being dismissed then was out of football 2 years before he went to Marshall. 2022 was the only year he seen reps in college and he DOMINATED the Sun Belt conference and was the #2 Leading Rusher in all of NCAA football slightly behind Chase Brown. 

Khalan Laborn's talent jumps off the tape and we keep hearing about the Chiefs finding Isiah Pacheco in the 7th round well Khalan Laborn has a good chance of being that guy. I would not be complaining if they decided to double down at RB with Laborn in the 6th or 7th round.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I had a chance to look at pro days today and I noticed the Bengals seem to be doing alot of homework on late round running backs. Ive mentioned Marshall's Khalan Laborn but they also have met with App State's Camerun People's and were at Kentucky pro day where Chris Rodriguez.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 01:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm pretty sure it was in the 4.4s

He ran a Gio Bernardesque 4.54 at his pro day.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 05:37 PM)Synric Wrote: I had a chance to look at pro days today and I noticed the Bengals seem to be doing alot of homework on late round running backs. Ive mentioned Marshall's Khalan Laborn but they also have met with App State's Camerun People's and were at Kentucky pro day where Chris Rodriguez.

One RB who I've heard some talk about today is Chase Brown. 

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 09:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: One RB who I've heard some talk about today is Chase Brown. 

I'm good with Chase Brown. Solid production can do it all and good pass blocker.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 02:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: When cross-referencing both NFL.com and TDN, it sounds like Gray is willing to try to pass block, but he's not very good at it.
The first thing you always want is someone who is willing, but willingness doesn't always resort to actually being successful at it.

Cool, thanks.

(04-03-2023, 04:20 PM)OSUfan Wrote: So you have seen this film of him struggling? Then you can link me to it because I certainly have not found it.

They don't have highlights of players struggling OSUfan. You see it in the games. This is known that Spears isn't the best pass 
blocker, same with Gibbs. One thing about Spears though is he at least shown at the Senior Bowl he is very willing to improve 
this part of his game as you note. Still all for Spears if we pick him, just have to have a touch of concern with his pass pro.

(04-03-2023, 05:33 PM)Synric Wrote: Understandable but I'm glad the Bengals are doing due diligence on a possible draft steal. He had 2 team violations at Florida State the only one we know about for sure is that he was charged with possession of marijuana. If I had to bet I would say the second one that caused the dismissal from the program was a failed drug test because of the timing after the first.

Just looking at Khalan Laborn as a draft prosect we are talking day 2 quality of player. Laborn wasn't just a 5 star recruit he was the #1 RB in his recruiting year. He barely got any carries at Florida State before being dismissed then was out of football 2 years before he went to Marshall. 2022 was the only year he seen reps in college and he DOMINATED the Sun Belt conference and was the #2 Leading Rusher in all of NCAA football slightly behind Chase Brown. 

Khalan Laborn's talent jumps off the tape and we keep hearing about the Chiefs finding Isiah Pacheco in the 7th round well Khalan Laborn has a good chance of being that guy. I would not be complaining if they decided to double down at RB with Laborn in the 6th or 7th round.

Warming up to Laborn late. Could be a Simmons ST'er at the very least.

(04-03-2023, 05:37 PM)Synric Wrote: I had a chance to look at pro days today and I noticed the Bengals seem to be doing alot of homework on late round running backs. Ive mentioned Marshall's Khalan Laborn but they also have met with App State's Camerun People's and were at Kentucky pro day where Chris Rodriguez.

Good stuff, thanks for the names Synric.

(04-03-2023, 09:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: One RB who I've heard some talk about today is Chase Brown. 

(04-03-2023, 10:01 PM)pulses Wrote: I'm good with Chase Brown. Solid production can do it all and good pass blocker.

Yep, Chase Brown would fit what we need big time. Another do it all RB like Charbonnet.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 02:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cool, thanks.

They don't have highlights of players struggling OSUfan. You see it in the games. This is known that Spears isn't the best pass 
blocker, same with Gibbs. One thing about Spears though is he at least shown at the Senior Bowl he is very willing to improve 
this part of his game as you note. Still all for Spears if we pick him, just have to have a touch of concern with his pass pro.

Warming up to Laborn late. Could be a Simmons ST'er at the very least.

Good stuff, thanks for the names Synric.

Yep, Chase Brown would fit what we need big time. Another do it all RB like Charbonnet.

I am not calling anyone out but I would venture a good part of these boards had not watched a single Tulane football game in '22 so I would have to question this theory of it being seen in games on these boards. I have watched the tape that shows every offensive snap he was on the field that I can find available and I have not walked away with the concerns that others seem to be having. I would also argue that it is "known" that he struggles in pass protection. 

The profile at NFL prospects does not elude to their being concerns with this facet of his game.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tyjae-spears/32005350-4511-3961-6914-5e32243e62c5

DraftNetwork stated that they wished Tulane had gotten him more involved in the passing game as he has not proven a consistent answer in pass protection. It does not say he struggled at it rather than leaned toward the issue of Tulane not involving him as much as they should have in the passing offense.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/tyjae-spears-0d36aca4-5d68-49ab-99fc-d76aa5ea5d3f/

ProFootallNetwork states it probably better than anyone in that he does a good job in making the block and squaring his defender up but needs to be better at sustaining blocks. This could probably be stated about a large majority of running backs. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tyjae-spears-rb-tulane-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 10:01 PM)pulses Wrote: I'm good with Chase Brown. Solid production can do it all and good pass blocker.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Right on the NFL prospect report:

Inconsistent protection of the QB does not sound like good pass blocker to me.
Reply/Quote