Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 TE Draft Prospects Group Assessment
(03-07-2023, 05:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, him and Kraft seem a bit alike. Always liked LaPorta, he just had shit at QB. LaPorta in the 3rd would be great IMO.

But like I said, so many TE's in this draft I like.

This is our problem picking at the end of each round, we may have to reach a round earlier than we normally would.  LaPorta should definitely be a 3rd rounder, but #92 is pretty close to 4th round territory.  But I'll take picking late every year.

Reply/Quote
I only sign Hurst if it is maybe a 2-3 yr 14-20 m... he was nice to have but we got little out of him down the field. was near bottom of league in ypc... and blocking was avg. at best

With the team we have now I want a TE that is ready to go , can block/ win middle of the field.. to me that is Mayer.. he is the most polished and fits our system well.. Washington is more of a project as a WR... i prefer a guy that can come in, and make an impact in WR plus upgrade at blocking...

If we let hurst walk,, than i like Mayer in 1st round
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm in love with Kraft in the 3rd round. Not sure if he makes it there to us though lol. I also love LaPorta. My ideal 1st round pick over Mayer would be Kancey. That guy terrorizes QB's.

If we don't re-sign Hurst, I guess Mayer is the ideal pick at 28 (if he's even there). I like him a lot, but this class is so damn deep at TE that I don't know if he's my first option at 28. Again, if we don't re-sign Hurst, Mayer seems like a no-brainer.

If we go into this draft with no clear TE1 on the roster, we could predictably get leapfrogged by another team for Mayer.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 06:21 PM)casear2727 Wrote: This is our problem picking at the end of each round, we may have to reach a round earlier than we normally would.  LaPorta should definitely be a 3rd rounder, but #92 is pretty close to 4th round territory.  But I'll take picking late every year.

Yes, might have to trade up for our guy this year again. But like you said, I will take it, means we are one of the best teams if
we are picking late every year.

(03-07-2023, 09:09 PM)Bengalpool Wrote: I'm in love with Kraft in the 3rd round. Not sure if he makes it there to us though lol. I also love LaPorta. My ideal 1st round pick over Mayer would be Kancey. That guy terrorizes QB's.

If we don't re-sign Hurst, I guess Mayer is the ideal pick at 28 (if he's even there). I like him a lot, but this class is so damn deep at TE that I don't know if he's my first option at 28. Again, if we don't re-sign Hurst, Mayer seems like a no-brainer.

If we go into this draft with no clear TE1 on the roster, we could predictably get leapfrogged by another team for Mayer.

I like Kraft or LaPorta in the 3rd over Mayer in the first now honestly. Would rather go somewhere else at 28 than TE. A Right Tackle
like Darnell Wright would be ideal in my eyes and go TE, 3-tech, Edge or Corner in the next rounds. Once the OL is taken care of it is
all gravy to me. Mayer might be the best overall TE in this class without a weakness, but I think Darnell Washington has the biggest 
upside and is a fantastic blocker with insane size and strength and can catch the ball.

If we go TE at 28 I would like Washington right now the best.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 06:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, might have to trade up for our guy this year again. But like you said, I will take it, means we are one of the best teams if
we are picking late every year.

I like Kraft or LaPorta in the 3rd over Mayer in the first now honestly. Would rather go somewhere else at 28 than TE. A Right Tackle
like Darnell Wright would be ideal in my eyes and go TE, 3-tech, Edge or Corner in the next rounds. Once the OL is taken care of it is
all gravy to me. Mayer might be the best overall TE in this class without a weakness, but I think Darnell Washington has the biggest 
upside and is a fantastic blocker with insane size and strength and can catch the ball.

If we go TE at 28 I would like Washington right now the best.

Mayer definitely has some weaknesses.  His combine numbers were an inch shorter and much less weight, yet he still ran slow.  Washington has zero route tree, great blocker, but he has been relegated to releases off of blocks and the flat.  A 1st Rounder must be able to win and get open at the TE spot, IMO.  

I dont see anyway that one of Anton Harrison, Darnell Wright or Dawand Jones is not available at 28, and I dont see what other positon player would be more impactful.... Bijon?  Smith-Njigba?  

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 08:06 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Mayer definitely has some weaknesses.  His combine numbers were an inch shorter and much less weight, yet he still ran slow.  Washington has zero route tree, great blocker, but he has been relegated to releases off of blocks and the flat.  A 1st Rounder must be able to win and get open at the TE spot, IMO.  

I dont see anyway that Anton Harrison, Darnell Wright or Dawand Jones are not available at 28, and I dont see what other positon player would be more impactful.... Bijon?  Smith-Njigba?  

Good points. Darnell Washington showed really well at the Combine that he CAN really move so we could develop a route tree for 
him behind Hurst. He sure is one hell of a blocker and we need all of them we can get, but yes, one of those OT's including Bergeron
now who I just got updated on should be the pick. Wright, Jones, Harrison or Bergeron should be the pick. 

Harrison seems more like a LT, same with Bergeron, but Bergeron did play RT at Syracuse and he is a powerful run blocker and a 
decent pass protector. The only way I see us going somewhere besides OT is because Bijan and Smith-Njigba fall who are just crazy
talented offensive players. These 2 are serious weapons.
Reply/Quote
To loop this back around to TEs, Purdue has their Pro Day tomorrow. Wonder if there will be improvements to some players testing (cough, Durham, cough). Curious if the testing results will be revealed.
Reply/Quote
Darnell Washington Good Lord!!!

Just watched his highlights... he's a physical freak. Blocks extremely well and can catch difficult passes and finish.

Sign me up and hell I'd actually trade up to get this guy if needed.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 12:28 AM)QueenCity Wrote: Darnell Washington Good Lord!!!

Just watched his highlights... he's a physical freak.  Blocks extremely well and can catch difficult passes and finish.

Sign me up and hell I'd actually trade up to get this guy if needed.

The potential of him being a dominant blocker (though not a RAC guy) has me content with him at 28.  It's such a deep class, I'd rather they get value later but then again I was wrong about the Higgins pick for the same reason.  With all the questions at RT and probably not spending high resources long term at slot WR, getting a TE that can block and be a security net would be a wise move. 
Reply/Quote
Brenton Strange seems to be a guy that is getting lost within a very good TE class. I posted this in a draft simulation I ran...

The more I watch and research Brenton Strange the more I like him. He is extremely athletic and is an exceptional blocker. While the following are simple analytics consider them:

Hayden Hurst                     Brenton Strange
       6'5"           height                  6'4"
      250            weight                 253
      4.67             40                     4.70
      1.59           10 yd split           1.57
      31.5"           vertical             36"
       10'            broad jump         10'4"  
      7.19            3 cone                7.25
      4.37           20 yd shut.         4.46
        3             receiving TD*         10
      12.8           yds per rec.*        10.7

* stats taken from 3 latest seasons as Hurst played 3 and Strange played 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXueOhlfuhg

Strange has become lost in a very good class of TEs. Above the posted is a highlight video but watch how he makes himself visible to the QB when the QB is in trouble and watch his pure athletic ability, the football IQ he displays, and that he appears to be a pretty natural receiver.
Reply/Quote
Don't be shocked if we don't double down at TE with the depth of the class.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 10:44 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Brenton Strange seems to be a guy that is getting lost within a very good TE class. I posted this in a draft simulation I ran...

The more I watch and research Brenton Strange the more I like him. He is extremely athletic and is an exceptional blocker. While the following are simple analytics consider them:

4.67             40                        4.70
      31.5"           vertical                36"

Strange has become lost in a very good class of TEs. Above the posted is a highlight video but watch how he makes himself visible to the QB when the QB is in trouble and watch his pure athletic ability, the football IQ he displays, and that he appears to be a pretty natural receiver.

Brenton Strange is my guy for that mid to late day 3. Strange doesnt have alot of length measuring in at 6'3.7 and 31 inch arms but hes such a violent blocker and he does it from a variety of different ways that includes being attached to the line. Strange might be the second best blocker in this draft class behind Washington. He bring that same engery as a receiver playing behind his pads but he does have some wiggle. 

I think he could go as high as a late 4th but 5th will likely be a good spot for him as a 12 personnel TE that is going to play 35 to 45% of the snaps depending on how the game goes.

Edit: A big reason Strange hasn't been higher in the media rankings is because pre combine he was expected to come in under 6'3 and under 250.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 04:50 PM)Synric Wrote: Brenton Strange is my guy for that mid to late day 3. Strange doesnt have alot of length measuring in at 6'3.7 and 31 inch arms but hes such a violent blocker and he does it from a variety of different ways that includes being attached to the line. Strange might be the second best blocker in this draft class behind Washington. He bring that same engery as a receiver playing behind his pads but he does have some wiggle. 

I think he could go as high as a late 4th but 5th will likely be a good spot for him as a 12 personnel TE that is going to play 35 to 45% of the snaps depending on how the game goes.

Edit: A big reason Strange hasn't been higher in the media rankings is because pre combine he was expected to come in under 6'3 and under 250.

Nice breakdown of Brenton Strange's game Synric. Sounds like a great pick in the 4th or 5th round for us.
Reply/Quote
Thought I would circle back to this to uodate after the Irv Smith Jr. signing. And the departure of Hurst. Wilcox & D. Sample remain unsigned to my knowledge. We brought in Moreau & Carter for vusits, but nothing came of the latter yet and Foster is stepping away from football for health reasons.

We carried 3 to start last season.

Position Group #4: Tight Ends

I.  2023 Roster Status

A. Signed = 2.  Cap Hit; Dead Cap; FA Year/Type 
1. I. Smith Jr. (TE1/2): $1,750,000; $400,000; 2024 UFA
2. D. Asiasi (Reserve): $1,138,000; $0; 2024 UFA 
-----------------
3. T. Hudsin (PS, Reserve): $940,000; $0, FA
4. N. Bowers (PS, Reserve): $870,000; $0; FA
--------------

B. Unsigned = 2. 2022 Cap Hit; FA Type
1. D. Sample (TE2, IR): $1,245,858, UFA
2. M. Wilcox (TE3): $825,000, ERFA
-------------
Reply/Quote
Tucker Kraft redid his 40 at his pro day. First one was 4.60 and the second one was 4.49 to 4.54 depending on the watch lol. He also jumped 2 inches higher than he did at the combine.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 12:16 PM)Synric Wrote: Tucker Kraft redid his 40 at his pro day. First one was 4.60 and the second one was 4.49 to 4.54 depending on the watch lol. He also jumped 2 inches higher than he did at the combine.

Sure have some fluctuation in those times. Better though is better. I like Kraft in the 3rd or 4th.
Reply/Quote
Bengals are not only doing extra homework on late round Running Backs but looks like they are doing the same for Tight Ends.

They are bringing in Lousiana's Johnny Lumpkin and invited Eastern Kentucky's Dakota Allen to their Pro Day (Guessing the UC one).

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2023, 10:44 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Brenton Strange seems to be a guy that is getting lost within a very good TE class. I posted this in a draft simulation I ran...

4.67             40                        4.70
      31.5"           vertical                36"

I tend to like Schoonmaker more than Strange.

Schoonmaker:
height - 6'5"
weight - 251 lb
arm length - 32.875" (compared to Strange's 31.125")
40 - 4.63
10 split - 1.59
vert - 33.5"
broad - 10'7"
3cone - 6.81
shuttle - 4.27

He performed far better in the agility drills than Strange, and his long speed is better.

As for production, they are about the same, although Schoonmaker didn't play in 2020.
So 2021-2022 looks like this:
Strange - 52 rec, 587 yards, 8 TDs
Schoonmaker - 52 rec, 583 yards, 6 TDs

So I lean toward Schoonmaker given the better size and length, deeper speed, and agility.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Schoonmaker was very impressive at Michigan, he would not be a reach in the third imo but would rather have him in the fourth.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 01:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I tend to like Schoonmaker more than Strange.

Schoonmaker:
height - 6'5"
weight - 251 lb
arm length - 32.875" (compared to Strange's 31.125")
40 - 4.63
10 split - 1.59
vert - 33.5"
broad - 10'7"
3cone - 6.81
shuttle - 4.27

He performed far better in the agility drills than Strange, and his long speed is better.

As for production, they are about the same, although Schoonmaker didn't play in 2020.
So 2021-2022 looks like this:
Strange - 52 rec, 587 yards, 8 TDs
Schoonmaker - 52 rec, 583 yards, 6 TDs

So I lean toward Schoonmaker given the better size and length, deeper speed, and agility.

Schoomaker surprised everyone with his testing because he doesnt look like that in games. He's also more finesse in everything he does blocking and receiving. There is very little power or aggression to his game. As a receiver he reminds me of Auden Tate all that size and mismatch opportunity wasted because they dont used their size.

Reply/Quote