Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 WR Draft Prospects Group Assessment
(03-31-2023, 01:31 AM)pulses Wrote: 60 is way to early for Scott. But if they're gonna draft a WR they better draft one early on. Not impressed with a lot of these WR's later on.

IDK. True junior freak athlete in a weak class. There has been a lot of eyes on UC the last couple years and the DROY was at the combine hyping him up. I'll be interested to see where he goes.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 01:31 AM)pulses Wrote: 60 is way to early for Scott. But if they're gonna draft a WR they better draft one early on. Not impressed with a lot of these WR's later on.

Well, if you want a Boyd replacemet, yes. But if you want an upgrade on Morgan or Taylor or some raw speed, that is available later on. Reed, Ronnie Bell, Charlie Jones, etc. 
Reply/Quote
Updated after first wave of FA. We re-signed Taylor so the top 6 from last year remain under contract. Lassiter remains on a PS deal.

I.  2023 Roster Status

A. Signed = 6. Cap Hit; Dead Cap; FA Year/Type
1. J. Chase (WR1, Starter): $8,405,357; $18,211,606; 2026 UFA
2. T. Higgins (WR2, Starter): $3,964,416; $969,416; 2024 UFA
3. T. Boyd (WR3/slot, Starter): $10,285,280; $1,400,000; 2024 UFA
4. T. Irwin (WR4, Reserve): $940,000; $0; 2024 RFA
5. S. Morgan (WR5, Reserve): $1,180,000; $50,000; 2024 UFA 
6. T. Taylor (WR6/slot2/PR, Reserve): $1,092,500; $52,500; 2024 UFA
-------------------
7. K. Lassiter (PS): UFA; $750,000; $0; 
Reply/Quote
Have heard we have looked at Jayden Reed of Mighigan State & Jordan Bell of Michigan.

Have not heard or seen us connected with any FA WR.

Last FA update I saw (3/31 AM), said we were still having discussions with players at QB, RB, DL, & CB. Poster posts on Cincy jungle & claims to have inside sources.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 02:29 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Well, if you want a Boyd replacemet, yes. But if you want an upgrade on Morgan or Taylor or some raw speed, that is available later on. Reed, Ronnie Bell, Charlie Jones, etc. 

I don't really see a Boyd replacement in this draft that is the problem.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 04:47 PM)pulses Wrote: I don't really see a Boyd replacement in this draft that is the problem.

Oh, Zay Flowers or Smith-Njigba for sure. JSN is probably gone, but Flowers is excellent. Though I doubt we spend #28 on a WR. 

After #28, I think you are absolutely correct. 
Reply/Quote
The Bengals worked out Louisiana WR Michael Jefferson at his Pro-Day and even had him running routes specific to their offense by the end of the practice according to PFN. I know nothing about this guy lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 08:09 PM)Synric Wrote: The Bengals worked out Louisiana WR Michael Jefferson at his Pro-Day and even had him running routes specific to their offense by the end of the practice according to PFN. I know nothing about this guy lol.
 6'4 200 needs to work on his feet to beat press. Runs good routes. Arms are almost 33"

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/michael-jefferson/32004a45-4628-6113-d0db-4082411751de
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 08:09 PM)Synric Wrote: The Bengals worked out Louisiana WR Michael Jefferson at his Pro-Day and even had him running routes specific to their offense by the end of the practice according to PFN. I know nothing about this guy lol.

Antoine Green from UNC is another late rounder they seemed to like.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2023, 10:06 PM)pulses Wrote:  6'4 200 needs to work on his feet to beat press. Runs good routes. Arms are almost 33"

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/michael-jefferson/32004a45-4628-6113-d0db-4082411751de

Too bad Jefferson was struck by a drunk driver in Easter in a car accident. He survived, but is out all of next year. 

Did see we met with Iosivas from Princeton. For two days. I like him as a developmental guy. Track guy (heptathalon), team captain. High RAS score. Came late to football. I love him 5/6. 

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/bengals_meet_with_princeton_wide_receiver_for_multiple_days/s1_16652_38723493 

We also had a visit with Landers from Arkansas. Another raw, bigger guy. 

WR is not just about lining up a Boyd replacement, we need more deep speed. A non-Chase vertical threat. An upgrade to the Morgan on the roster, maybe Irwin, too. Big guys with speed who are raw. Also would not mind a Taylor upgrade. He was good in PR but adds nada to the offense. 

I do not love Johnston at #28 from TCU nor Addison from USC. But wiuld take JSN in a heartbeat and wiuld look long & hard at Flowers if he is there. 

Raw bigs with speed: Mingo (3/4), Brice-Wheaton (4/5/6), Iosivas (4/5/6), Landers (6/7).  

Slot guys: Charlie Jones (4), Jayden Reed (4/5), Parker Washington  (4). 

I like the fact we are having meetings with these guys. Shows we recognize the need. The need for speed. 

I think bigger needs and deeper classes at TE, DE, and CB probably take precedence early (Day 1 & Day 2). Or if we get lucky at OT, RB, or DT.  But I could see 2 WRs on day 3, one of each type. 
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2023, 11:37 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Too bad Jefferson was struck by a drunk driver in Easter in a car accident. He survived, but is out all of next year. 

Did see we met with Iosivas from Princeton. For two days. I like him as a developmental guy. Track guy (heptathalon), team captain. High RAS score. Came late to football. I love him 5/6. 

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/bengals_meet_with_princeton_wide_receiver_for_multiple_days/s1_16652_38723493 

We also had a visit with Landers from Arkansas. Another raw, bigger guy. 

WR is not just about lining up a Boyd replacement, we need more deep speed. A non-Chase vertical threat. An upgrade to the Morgan on the roster, maybe Irwin, too. Big guys with speed who are raw. Also would not mind a Taylor upgrade. He was good in PR but adds nada to the offense. 

I do not love Johnston at #28 from TCU nor Addison from USC. But wiuld take JSN in a heartbeat and wiuld look long & hard at Flowers if he is there. 

Raw bigs with speed: Mingo (3/4), Brice-Wheaton (4/5/6), Iosivas (4/5/6), Landers (6/7).  

Slot guys: Charlie Jones (4), Jayden Reed (4/5), Parker Washington  (4). 

I like the fact we are having meetings with these guys. Shows we recognize the need. The need for speed. 

I think bigger needs and deeper classes at TE, DE, and CB probably take precedence early (Day 1 & Day 2). Or if we get lucky at OT, RB, or DT.  But I could see 2 WRs on day 3, one of each type. 
Parker Washington is the guy I think they may target. Good slot guy and can run block very well too. But I do agree we need some guys with more SPEED. I really think Mingo has a chance to be pretty good. Flowers would be amazing in this offense and on ST's.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 04:47 PM)pulses Wrote: I don't really see a Boyd replacement in this draft that is the problem.

Boyd's replacement could be on the roster today.  Chase would be a total menace in the slot.  Drafting a tall fast WR could make this a reality.

Reply/Quote
Day 1 update.

Unchanged roster status:
Starters: Chase, Higgins,,Boyd
Reserves: Irwin, Mirgan, Taylor

JSN, Flowers, Addison, and Johnson all off the board by #28. No real chance of a WR ar #28.

I might pull the trigger on Mingo or Hyatt at #60 if all the TEs/CBs/OTs I like are gone.

I am OK with Downs, Tillman, or Scott, but I do not really love them at #60. I'd be thrilled at #92, but it'd have to be slim pickings at #60.

Same thing for my Round 3 guys, kinda reachy at #92, but would love in Rd4: Rice, Reed, Mims, Dell, maybe even Washington or Jones. But I'd still be looking TE/CB/RB first if still unaddressed (Moss, Trice, Bennett, Williams, Rush, Strange, Kuntz, Schoonmaker, Spears, Miller, Abanikanda). Maybe even DT (Ika, Pickens), OT (Freelund), OC (Wypler), or OG (Zavala).
Reply/Quote