0 0%
OTHER
3.23%
3 3.23%
Total 93 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 1st Round Draft Pick (Board Selection)
Man, I guess I'm in the minority for folks who would be clicking their heels for Latu.  Call me crazy, I do believe that he could take the defense to the next level.  He would also be great insurance for if Hendrickson were to have to miss time or if some of the back end of the roster guys don't show miraculous growth.  I don't think anyone should write off Ossai or Murphy out of hand...nor do I think that anyone should just assume that either will develop into a plus starter.  Both Hendrickson and Hubbard have played a lot of snaps in the past years.
Can they keep it up as they get a little longer in the tooth? Maybe they'd appreciate being spelled once in a while. For Latu I think of his production, projection, skill, and tenacity.  I would be really pleased if they were to steal Latu at 18.  Doubt that he'll be there, but it's fun to think about.

Latham would be my next choice.  Feeding the OL room and getting guys in the pipeline has paid dividends for KC.      

I'm also pretty high on Barton.  You don't have to be a Volson hater or a Karras hater to like the pick.  Injuries happen.  Karras is going to have to have a goldilocks year in terms of performance AND he'll have to accept a goldilocks contract after this year if he's going to remain on the team.  

Murphy or Newton I'd be cool with but wouldn't expect the world out of.  I wonder with both just how much their teammates helped to boost their draft stock.  Murphy has shorter arms and Newton isn't an A+ run defender.  Both are good players.  18 seems a little rich to me for either of them.

Mims I'm torn on.  He has some good highlights.  I just wonder if evaluators have seen the lowlights.  How is he going to look after a long slog of a season where he's nicked up?  Are there any offensive tackles in recent history who have played so little in college and who have gone on to have good NFL careers?  I'm OK with some risk if the potential payoff is there.  If there have been a total of 0 analogs to Mims who have played 8 starts and gone on to be good tackles...that is a LOT of risk.  

I just don't see the value for outside skill guys this year.  WR seems deep after the elite guys go. CB they've sunk a lot of capital into. They should've just re-signed Awuzie if they don't think that Taylor-Britt, Turner, and Hilton can hold down the fort.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2024, 06:53 PM)WhoDeyK Wrote: Of these options, I would pick Byron Murphy. He has been the clear cut DT1 for a while in my opinion. He would bring that interior pass rushing ability we desperately need and he's incredibly stout against the run. After that, like Nati Bengal, I would take JPJ but since he's not an option, I would look at the other oline prospects.

If I had to guess though, I would say our pick will be either Latham, Mims or Thomas Jr.

Sucks with the JPJ degenerative medical issue rumor, I had him as a thought at 18 before this. Still Graham Barton sounds like he will be 
just as good as a Center/Guard in the NFL and we can grab him if we want to really take out interior OL to the next level. 

(04-14-2024, 07:35 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: In order:

Mims, Latham, Murphy.

Taking a WR at #18 is way too high with Highins staying.

We need IOL but I do not love the value at #18 with OT, DT, WR, and CB all better value.

Mitchell or Arnold might have me go CB, but not Wiggins. Too slight.

Latu is a 3-4 guy. Does not fit our scheme.

We need run stoppers more than 3Ts. We have 2 guys who can play 3T (Hill, Rankins). I don't view Murphy nor Newton as Reader replacements. If all the OTs were gone, maybe then. But I'd be looking hard at trade down.

Mims has not played that much, but what he has us excellent. He isn't raw or mistake prone. Plus he'd get a year with Brown here.

Latham is more plug & play and might be the best run blocker in the draft. Penalties concern me a little, but I'd be thrilled with him.

Latham isn't the best run blocker in this Draft, far from it. He is actually a really good pass protector when he doesn't let speed get
to his inside. Latham has heavy feet while run blocking and doesn't get up field fast because of it. He can maul a guy though if he 
gets his hands on him. Mims has the foot speed to readjust if he initially gets beat, Latham does not.

But agree on everything else you say Ike. Cool
Reply/Quote
If Mims was that great, why didnt he start more? and he had ankle surgery last year. As big as he is that size/weight cant be good on the joints. I have questions about Mims.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 02:18 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Man, I guess I'm in the minority for folks who would be clicking their heels for Latu.  Call me crazy, I do believe that he could take the defense to the next level.  He would also be great insurance for if Hendrickson were to have to miss time or if some of the back end of the roster guys don't show miraculous growth.  I don't think anyone should write off Ossai or Murphy out of hand...nor do I think that anyone should just assume that either will develop into a plus starter.  Both Hendrickson and Hubbard have played a lot of snaps in the past years.
Can they keep it up as they get a little longer in the tooth?  Maybe they'd appreciate being spelled once in a while.  For Latu I think of his production, projection, skill, and tenacity.  I would be really pleased if they were to steal Latu at 18.  Doubt that he'll be there, but it's fun to think about.

Latham would be my next choice.  Feeding the OL room and getting guys in the pipeline has paid dividends for KC.      

I'm also pretty high on Barton.  You don't have to be a Volson hater or a Karras hater to like the pick.  Injuries happen.  Karras is going to have to have a goldilocks year in terms of performance AND he'll have to accept a goldilocks contract after this year if he's going to remain on the team.  

Murphy or Newton I'd be cool with but wouldn't expect the world out of.  I wonder with both just how much their teammates helped to boost their draft stock.  Murphy has shorter arms and Newton isn't an A+ run defender.  Both are good players.  18 seems a little rich to me for either of them.

Mims I'm torn on.  He has some good highlights.  I just wonder if evaluators have seen the lowlights.  How is he going to look after a long slog of a season where he's nicked up?  Are there any offensive tackles in recent history who have played so little in college and who have gone on to have good NFL careers?  I'm OK with some risk if the potential payoff is there.  If there have been a total of 0 analogs to Mims who have played 8 starts and gone on to be good tackles...that is a LOT of risk.  

I just don't see the value for outside skill guys this year.  WR seems deep after the elite guys go.  CB they've sunk a lot of capital into.  They should've just re-signed Awuzie if they don't think that Taylor-Britt, Turner, and Hilton can hold down the fort.

Good analysis Bilbo and it's why I added Latu to the choices (although he didn't get much love). I will admit a 3-4 team would benefit more from LL, but you can never have enough folks to get after the QB.

For some reason JC is polarizing. I've seen him drafted anywhere from 7th to TEN to out of the first round. I think his career is a starting caliber RT; the question is: What's that worth.

I love Barton. If folks listen into Sirius' Fan Mock this coming Friday, they just may hear his name called (barring an unforeseen drop such as Troy F.)

I just cannot get behind the sub-300 lb DTs; as we picked that up in Rankins and are only a couple years removed from drafting Carter early.

Mims makes me hear the 2 words I hate: Pollack and Raw. 

I think either WR would be an asset. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
1. Tauliese Fuago OT Oregon State 1A Mims 1B Latham
2. Byron Murphy DT Texas
3. Terrion Arnold CB Bama
4. Brian Thomas WR LSU
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 02:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sucks with the JPJ degenerative medical issue rumor, I had him as a thought at 18 before this. Still Graham Barton sounds like he will be 
just as good as a Center/Guard in the NFL and we can grab him if we want to really take out interior OL to the next level. 

Latham isn't the best run blocker in this Draft, far from it. He is actually a really good pass protector when he doesn't let speed get
to his inside. Latham has heavy feet while run blocking and doesn't get up field fast because of it. He can maul a guy though if he 
gets his hands on him. Mims has the foot speed to readjust if he initially gets beat, Latham does not.

But agree on everything else you say Ike. Cool

I am gonna have to disagree with you here on Latham as a run blocker. I think he is the best in the draft. If he gets hands on you, it's over. Though I love your perspective on things. And will admit, I am not up late watching tape on these guys.

ESPN (for what that is worth) has him as the best at opening running lanes. And the best pass block anchor, too.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39897308/2024-nfl-draft-best-prospects-skills-traits-standouts-positions-superlatives
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 06:11 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I am gonna have to disagree with you here on Latham as a run blocker. I think he is the best in the draft. If he gets hands on you, it's over. Though I love your perspective on things. And will admit, I am not up late watching tape on these guys.

ESPN (for what that is worth) has him as the best at opening running lanes. And the best pass block anchor, too.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39897308/2024-nfl-draft-best-prospects-skills-traits-standouts-positions-superlatives

Yeah, once he gets his hands on you, it is over as you and I actually said. Just saying sometimes he can miss a run block and if he does he 
has too slow of feet to readjust unlike Mims. Latham is good, would like it if he is the pick even if I like Mims a bit more for upside and the 
film that is limited shows some fantastic things with Mims that are very rare.

Hard for a dude as big as Latham not to open up running lanes, he is a monster the Trench King lol
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 05:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: 1. Tauliese Fuago OT Oregon State  1A Mims 1B Latham
2. Byron Murphy DT Texas
3. Terrion Arnold CB Bama
4. Brian Thomas WR LSU

It helps if you look at the choices the board made linked in the OP. Fuago and Arnold have both been selected. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 07:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It helps if you look at the choices the board made linked in the OP. Fuago and Arnold have both been selected. 

I’m good. Watching ESPN Sports Center Special 3 round mock draft with Adam Scheffer, Mel Kiper, and 2 others. Of the 4 I listed they went Arnold @ 15 Murphy @ 16 Brian Thomas @ 17 and Fuago to the Bengals @ 18. So I’m good thanks. And ESPN Analytics named 3 of my 4 most likely to go to the Bengals. So I’m really feel good at my thinking.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-14-2024, 05:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Another thing folks don't realize about Barton is his athleticism. 

Of the 1532 OG prospects who've been measured since 1987; GB ranks 3rd in RAS.  

[Image: GKHnxaWXQAAN4o1?format=jpg&name=900x900]

My fear is Pitt jumps us and gets their pivot for the next decade.

WTS, your WVU kid would be a fine consolation prize in the 2nd

I would say Graham Barton is the 3rd overall most NFL Ready OL in this class behind Alt & Latham. Barton knows who his is, is technically sound, and is just fun to watch. Half an inch longer arms and people would be talking about him as a tackle in the high teens like Fautanu. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 09:36 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m good. Watching ESPN Sports Center Special 3 round mock draft with Adam Scheffer, Mel Kiper, and 2 others. Of the 4 I listed they went Arnold @ 15 Murphy @ 16 Brian Thomas @ 17 and Fuago to the Bengals @ 18. So I’m good thanks. And ESPN Analytics named 3 of my 4 most likely to go to the Bengals. So I’m really feel good at my thinking.

I was able to watch bits and pieces of that Show.

I think they had DT Jer'zhan Newton as the Bengals 2nd round pick.

Do you remember who they had as the Bengals 3rd round pick ?
Reply/Quote
I picked Murphy. I'd be happy with Murphy or Newton.

I like Barton a lot though. I like that he can play any position along the line. He'll be a great player.
He's probably what we need for oline depth because of his versatility and pro readiness.

I'd be okay with Lathom or Mims too, but feel like they likely need development. It'd be more ideal to get them in a trade down.

I'm not a huge fan of drafting a wideout early. Lots of options later in the draft with greater value. Seems like half of 1st round receivers end up busting out.
Reply/Quote
Given the selections made for 1 through 17 in the other thread, my top three preferences would be 1-Latham, 2-Mims, 3-Murphy. Everyone seems to think this class is very deep at OT, but the Bengals need to address solving this issue for the next 4 to 5 years and should take the most NFL ready OT they can get in the 1st round. Trent Brown is a one year stop gap and may not last the whole season. Although Mims may have a higher ceiling, Latham appears to be the most ready OT and should be the pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 08:11 AM)Synric Wrote: I would say Graham Barton is the 3rd overall most NFL Ready OL in this class behind Alt & Latham. Barton knows who his is, is technically sound, and is just fun to watch. Half an inch longer arms and people would be talking about him as a tackle in the high teens like Fautanu. 

Yes, special player, Graham Barton. Sure would be more than fine if he is the pick, sure would solve the future Center problem and could play
LG instantly if we don't want to move Karras or throw Barton in at Center as a rookie.

(04-16-2024, 11:09 AM)depthchart Wrote: I was able to watch bits and pieces of that Show.

That would be awesome if we got Mims/Latham/Barton in the first and Johnny Newton in the 2nd. BTW, did Newton have his workout yet?

The injury news has drove his stock down recently...

(04-16-2024, 11:23 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I picked Murphy. I'd be happy with Murphy or Newton.

I like Barton a lot though. I like that he can play any position along the line. He'll be a great player.
He's probably what we need for oline depth because of his versatility and pro readiness.

I'd be okay with Lathom or Mims too, but feel like they likely need development. It'd be more ideal to get them in a trade down.

I'm not a huge fan of drafting a wideout early. Lots of options later in the draft with greater value. Seems like half of 1st round receivers end up busting out.

Understandable with Wideout even if I really like Thomas Jr. Trenches are where I hope we go early unless Bowers somehow falls and
Mims/Latham are not there at 18. If it is a pick between Guyton or Bowers, I take Bowers as Guyton reminds me of Ogbuehi. Great size 
and athleticism but looks weak and doesn't put great play out on film against elite prospects.

Mims looked good against the guy I judge these OL against. The End JT of OSU who has elite strength and hands. The others that played
against him struggled a bit more than Mims in the film I watched.

(04-16-2024, 01:12 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: Given the selections made for 1 through 17 in the other thread, my top three preferences would be 1-Latham, 2-Mims, 3-Murphy.  Everyone seems to think this class is very deep at OT, but the Bengals need to address solving this issue for the next 4 to 5 years and should take the most NFL ready OT they can get in the 1st round. Trent Brown is a one year stop gap and may not last the whole season. Although Mims may have a higher ceiling, Latham appears to be the most ready OT and should be the pick.

The one thing about Trent Brown is that he is probably our most sound OL on the team right now even if he has struggled with injuries,
the guy is an elite pass blocking swing Tackle. I think TB could really help out a player like Amarius Mims. Understandably we are down on
Pollack as an OL coach, Trent Brown helps with a talent like Mims. Agree on Latham, he is probably the more pro ready of the two and both
should be there at 18. I can understand going with Latham with his experience over Mims and his upside with Pollack at OL coach.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 01:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That would be awesome if we got Mims/Latham/Barton in the first and Johnny Newton in the 2nd. BTW, did Newton have his workout yet?

The injury news has drove his stock down recently...

It looks like Newton does his workout today.

People that want Trench Building would probably love Newton in the 2nd round and an Offensive Lineman in round 1.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 02:25 PM)depthchart Wrote: It looks like Newton does his workout today.

People that want Trench Building would probably love Newton in the 2nd round and an Offensive Lineman in round 1.

Oh yeah, looking forward to hearing some updates on his workout later today. Newton could be a great player in the NFL. Elite pass rush
and elite run stopping are very rare qualities if the injury issues are behind him by the regular season. Mims/Newton to start out the Draft
would be about as ideal as I can think of for the Bengals and get the NT in the 3rd or 4th round and our trenches are looking stacked.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 11:09 AM)depthchart Wrote: I was able to watch bits and pieces of that Show.

Don’t think I saw past the first round. I watching a lot of stuff on the OKC Thunder right now too on the national shows. And keeping up with OU softball.

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 04:41 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Don’t think I saw past the first round. I watching a lot of stuff on the OKC Thunder right now too on the national shows. And keeping up with OU softball.

I found out that it was Javon Baker, WR, UCF at pick #80 then Michigan running back Blake Corum at #97.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2024, 07:24 PM)depthchart Wrote: I found out that it was Javon Baker, WR, UCF at pick #80 then Michigan running back Blake Corum at #97.

So Fuaga, Newton, Javon Baker, Blake Corum?

Sounds pretty damn great if they get a NT somewhere in there...
Reply/Quote
Murphy hands down for me. Love the read on this guy and should stiffen our line up immediately.
Thomas next, and my God Mims is a behemoth but raw is he not?
Reply/Quote