Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Bengals Free Agency/Roster Thread
(03-04-2024, 06:19 PM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: With this news, we should direct any money we were considering giving Reader (+ more) and send it Wilkins way. He is younger, entering his prime, and not coming off a series injury. He might not be quite the elite elite run stuffer that Reader WAS (no sure thing he returns to form), but he is still a top tier run defender and gives you much, much more in the pass rush department. 

The impact he would have on our defense is tremendous. 

I have talked about this extensively on other FA threads, but in my mind it certainly isn't either/or. It's both. 

We have the $$$. 

And Wilkins (or Jones or Madubuike or Williams) are BJ Hill upgrades, not Reader replacements. DJ is 20-35 pounds heavier than all those dudes. 

We need at least 2 proven DT/NT types to pair with Hill. Wilkins/Williams + Reader would be the way to go. But Wilkins/Hill is big enough to scrape by vs the run until DJ gets back. 

Wilkins has the same agent as Higgins. He will want $25 mil. If we could get Williams for, say $15-$17, I'd go that route. 
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2024, 03:09 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Well, it is getting awful late in the game in terms of the tag deadline (Tue 4pm). 27 hours. No tags outside of Tee and Evans re-upping in Tampa is the only big time tag candidate to put ink to paper.

And now Sneed has the nonexclusive franchise tag like Higgins. Although the Chiefs made it clear they are open to a trade for Sneed.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2024, 07:20 PM)Nepa Wrote: And now Sneed has the nonexclusive franchise tag like Higgins. Although the Chiefs made it clear they are open to a trade for Sneed.

It does make it interesting if a Jones deal does not get done. Have to think they'd rescind the Sneed tag & tag Jones by tomorrow. Else they are REAL confident a deal gets done. 
Reply/Quote
FWIW, The Ringer's top 50.

https://nflrankings.theringer.com/free-agency

Top 10: Jones, Cousins, Burns, Allen, Wilkins, Madubuike, Higgins, Johnson, Winfield, Sneed.

That is the first tier
Reply/Quote
Well, 5 and a half hours to go. In terms of big fish:

Signings: Evans (back with TB 2 yrs $52 mil).

Tags: Higgins (Cincy), Sneed (KC, can seek trade).

We are not really in the edge market (Allen, Burns, Hunter). Or QB, obviously (Cousins, Mayfield). Nor WR with Tee tagged.

DT: Jones, Wilkins (no tag), Madubuike, L. Williams
OT: Onwenu, Smith
CB: Johnson
S: Winfield
NT: Reader
TE: Schultz

Those are your big fish fits for us. I would hope to get 2 out of that pond. Most likely Reader +1. I'd be ecstatic with that outcome. Reader +2 and I'm over the moon.
Reply/Quote
Order via the ringer:

Signed:
13. Evans, WR, TB, 2 yrs/$52 mil

Tagged:
3. Burns, DE, Panthers, $24 mil.
7. Higgins, WR, Bengals, $21.8 mil.
10. Sneed, CB, KC, $19.8 mil.
Reply/Quote
See CJ got cut by the Jets.

Glorified cheerleader had one half decent season for us and has done nothing since please nobody suggest him.

Also piss funny when he said Wilson was as good as Burrow :lol:
Reply/Quote
CJ released by Jets.
Reply/Quote
The Giants didn't tag Saquon Barkley.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 12:45 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: See CJ got cut by the Jets.

Glorified cheerleader had one half decent season for us and has done nothing since please nobody suggest him.

Also piss funny when he said Wilson was as good as Burrow LOL

Cannot believe Uzo would say such a thing... Mellow
Reply/Quote
OK, with 3.5 hours to go until the tag deadline, I am gonna try & power through to rest of the pisition groups. Finishing up the 3rd Tier (Depth only) is the LB Group.

10.  Line ackers

A.  Signed

Player, Cap, Dead Cap, FA Yr, PFF L3  2023 Snaps
1. Wilson: $7,050,000; $12,000,000; '28; 62.6/72.7/53.5, 1,070 D + 78 ST
2. Pratt: $6,883,333; $0; '26; 63.3/80.6/46.1, 977 D + 32 ST
------------- Starter Line-----------
3. Harper: $985,000; $0; '26; 70.0/x/x; 1 D + 94 ST.
---------Reserve Line----------
4. Heyward: $795,000; $0; '25; x/x/x, Zero
----------Future's/PS Line--------

B.  Unsigned

Player: FA Status; PFF L3; 2023 Snaps
---------Starter Line--------
1. Davis-Gaither: UFA; 58.7/60.8/60.2; 99 D + 289 ST
2. Bailey: UFA; 60.8/70.9/55.6, 29 D + 309 ST
3. Bachie: UFA; 55.5/78.4/51.9, 10 D + 316 ST
--------Reserve Line-------

C.  Analysis

Wilson & Pratt are here and seem licked in as starters despite underwhelming 2023 seasons after signing new deals last year. The FO seemed to point the finger for the poor LB play at the safeties for poor communication & lack of LB confidence in the calls. The starters are locked in.

Pratt does have a zero dead cap figure. I doubt he goes anywhere this year, but next year if the year is poor again or we need to cut salary? Regardless, all our meaninful LB depth are FAs (Harper played 1 snap on D). And we could use an upgrade in dynacism and wallop. On the other hand, all 3 guys have performed fairly well when called upon. I would not mind bringing any of them back, ADG the most. But it needs to be close to the min, given our other holes.

I doubt we play in the FA LB market beyond our own guys. Day 3 seems like a value LB could happen. 
Reply/Quote
FA TE Dalton Schultz just agreed to a 3 year $36 million extension with the Texans. $23.5 is guaranteed

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
DT Justin Madubuike was tagged by the Ravens

and
Antoine Winfield tagged by Bucs

Reply/Quote
Dang, those were two guys I would of liked to of added, especially Madubuike.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 03:14 PM)pally Wrote: FA TE Dalton Schultz just agreed to a 3 year $36 million extension with the Texans.  $23.5 is guaranteed

Well, so much for that dream. Houston had a ton of space and he has olayed his whole career in Texas. 

To me, this makes it easier to focus our $44 mil on the trenches. DT first & foremost (Reader, Wilkins, Williams). We need 2 at min: NT run stuffer and 3T. And RT (though Onwenu is really the only big ticket guy I see us chasing here, maybe Smith). 

With what is left, then look vet S. If it is a lot, maybe a higher grade S, CB, Fant, or RT bridge.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 03:32 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Well, so much for that dream. Houston had a ton of space and he has olayed his whole career in Texas. 

To me, this makes it easier to focus our $44 mil on the trenches. DT first & foremost (Reader, Wilkins, Williams). We need 2 at min: NT run stuffer and 3T. And RT (though Onwenu is really the only big ticket guy I see us chasing here, maybe Smith). 

With what is left, then look vet S. If it is a lot, maybe a higher grade S, CB, Fant, or RT bridge.

well Hayden Hurst is back on the market.  He was just released by the Panthers.  

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 03:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dang, those were two guys I would of liked to of added, especially Madubuike.

Me, too. But Baltimore is not gonna let him escape. The tage does make it harder to retain Queen & Stone and maybe a guy like Moses (RT) becomes a cap casualty. 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 03:34 PM)pally Wrote: well Hayden Hurst is back on the market.  He was just released by the Panthers.  

Would be for bringing Hayden back over Uzo that is for sure.

(03-05-2024, 03:34 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Me, too. But Baltimore is not gonna let him escape. The tage does make it harder to retain Queen & Stone and maybe a guy like Moses (RT) becomes a cap casualty. 

Geno Stone, let's get him. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 03:23 PM)pally Wrote: DT Justin Madubuike was tagged by the Ravens

and
Antoine Winfield tagged by Bucs

Not surprising at all.  There was no way they were going to let Madubuike hit the free agency market when the tag is 22 million and the cap space went up more than expected.  Baltimore may let other guys hit free agency but no way were they going to let Madubuike.  I didnt think they would let him get away but after the cap jumped so much, I knew we had no chance.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 03:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would be for bringing Hayden back over Uzo that is for sure.

Geno Stone, let's get him. Mellow

Depending on what Hurst wants for his contract he could be a good pickup again.  I do wonder about the concussion with the memory loss so that might make you take a pause on signing him.
Reply/Quote