Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Bengals Free Agency/Roster Thread
(03-05-2024, 06:08 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Colts tag Pittman. FA rank via the Ringer.

1.  Signed
-------Tier 2------  
13. Evans, WR, TB, 2 yrs/$52 mil
------Tier 3-------
-----Tier 4-------
33. Schultz, TE, Hou, 3 yr/36 mil

2.  Tagged
-------Tier 1----------  
3. Burns, DE, Panthers, $24 mil.
4. Allen, DE, Jax, $24 mil.
6. Madubuike, DT, Ravens, $22.1 mil
7. Higgins, WR, Bengals, $21.8 mil.
8. Johnson, CB, Bears, $19.8 mil.
9. Winfield, S, TB, $17.123 mil
10. Sneed, CB, KC, $19.8 mil.
---------Tier 2--------
14.  Pittman, WR, Colts, $21.8 mil
--------Tier 3------
----------Tier 4--------
25. Dugger, S, NE, $13.82 Transition Tag

3.  Available
1. Jones, DT, KC
2. Cousins, QB, Min
5. Wilkins, DT, Miami
------Tier 2----------
11. Greenard, Edge, Hou
12. Hunter, DE, Minny
15. McKinney, S, NYG
16. Queen, LB, Ravens
17. Ridley, WR, Jax
18. L. Williams, DT, Sea
---------Tier 3-------
19. Mayfield, QB, TB
20. Brown, WR, Arizona
21. Barkley, RB, NYG, No Tag
22. Young, DE, 49ers
23. Huff, DE, Jets
-------Tier 4---------
24. Hunt, G, Miami
26. Jackson, G, Det
27. Dotson, G, Rams
28. Onwenu, G/T, NE
29. Luvu, LB, Car
30. Jacobs, RB, LV
31. J. Williams, OT, Bengals
32. Brooks, LB, Sea
--------Tier 5--------

Wilkins and Onwenu pretty, pretty please....
Reply/Quote
Lots of safeties out there. Might be one of the few positions that's not going to get blown up once the money starts flying around. It's a good year to need one.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 06:31 PM)samhain Wrote: Lots of safeties out there.  Might be one of the few positions that's not going to get blown up once the money starts flying around.  It's a good year to need one.

I think the chances we add a free agent safety are very good at this point.
Reply/Quote
I like Wilkins but how much does he want? If we are going to spend some money, how much more would Chris Jones cost? Lets get Jones on this defensive line.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 06:35 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I like Wilkins but how much does he want?  If we are going to spend some money, how much more would Chris Jones cost?  Lets get Jones on this defensive line.

Both will be expensive, Wilkins is younger though which is why I might like him more at this point, but I would be really happy with CJ as well.
Reply/Quote
Final FA positions groups. Tier 4: PK and LS. No action expected.

13. Place Kicker

A. Signed

Player: Cap, Dead Cap, FA Yr, PFF L3, 2023 Snaps
1. McPherson: $1,140,928; $85,928; '25; n/a, 154 ST

B. Unsigned: None.

C. Analysis

Money Mac is locked in. I guess we could carry a PK#2 on the PS. But that is not gonna be a draft pick. I do not have PFF values for kickers.

14. Long Snapper

A. Signed/Tendered

Player: Cap; Dead Cap, FA Yr, PFF LS, 2023 Snaps
1. Adomitis: ERFA tender $915/$985k, '25, n/a, 148 ST

B. Unsigned: None

C. Analysis

We have tendered Adomitis his ERFA offer. He is locked in. Not sure on the amount. $985k or $915k. Of course, we could work out a longer term deal.

I guess we could carry a LS#2 on the PS, but that is UDFA territory.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 06:35 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I like Wilkins but how much does he want?  If we are going to spend some money, how much more would Chris Jones cost?  Lets get Jones on this defensive line.

Chris Jones will want $30 million a year. He may take something less to re-sign with the Chiefs, but other teams would have to pony up an annual salary of $30 million. I don't think the Chiefs would go that high, not for someone 30 years old, and I certainly don't think the Bengals would go that high. Imagine if he were to get injured and a team has all that money tied up. Look what the Bills got for the 120 million dollars spent on Von Miller.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 06:49 PM)Nepa Wrote: Chris Jones will want $30 million a year. He may take something less to re-sign with the Chiefs, but other teams would have to pony up an annual salary of $30 million. I don't think the Chiefs would go that high, not for someone 30 years old, and I certainly don't think the Bengals would go that high. Imagine if he were to get injured and a team has all that money tied up.

Chris Jones seemed pissed at the Chiefs for not ponying up the dough for him last year. There might actually be frustration there and CJ 
might want to go to a rival like our Bengals, yah never know. I would pay him that, he just produces and he isn't banged up a ton like Tee is.

I think paying Tee 25 mil per year is just as risky as paying CJ 30 mil per year if not more so.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 06:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Both will be expensive, Wilkins is younger though which is why I might like him more at this point, but I would be really happy with CJ as well.

My guess is: 

Jones wants $35 mil or so. Rumor is he turned down $32.5. If he has a little OBJ in him, maybe he takes a bit less to stick it to KC?

Wilkins wants $25 mil or more. Could be $30. He has Tee's agent. He also is a Clemson guy who played under Hobby and with Reader. A little discount? With that agent, I doubt it. 

I continue to be in on L. Williams. He will be less expensive. I'd say $16-$18 mil. 

My dream scenario is still: 

1) Re-sign Reader 
2) Sign a DT upgrade 
3) Sign Onwenu 
4) Sign vet S 

Impossible with Jones, but he is so good, I'd be willing to punt on Onwenu and still make a run at Reader/Vet S. Would need a restructure or two AND favorable terms on DJ/S. 

Highly improbable with Wilkins. Would need restrucures and favorable terms. 

It could work with Williams and minimal restructures or just good terms for DJ/S. We'd be right at the cap though. 

I likely think our FO will likely try to sign more smaller fish. Reader + vet S + lower tier CB + lower tier TE + stopgap OT + Boyd + Townsend. That is a valid philosophy. Opens up the draft totally. 

But I'd go bigger. Reader + Onwenu would open up the draft and we could still have $20 mil or so to play with. 

Edit: You could also trade Higgins to free up space.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 06:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Chris Jones seemed pissed at the Chiefs for not ponying up the dough for him last year. There might actually be frustration there and CJ 
might want to go to a rival like our Bengals, yah never know. I would pay him that, he just produces and he isn't banged up a ton like Tee is.

I think paying Tee 25 mil per year is just as risky as paying CJ 30 mil per year if not more so.

The Bengals are the one team that has shown they can beat the Chiefs.   If Jones wants to shove it in their faces and still get paid (I dont know about 30 million) the Bengals might be appealing.  If he would do something like a 3 year 27 million per year, you would have to consider it.
Reply/Quote
Buffalo releases Poyer, Morse, and White.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-releasing-all-pro-safety-jordan-poyer-after-seven-seasons

Morse and Poyer made the pro-bowl in 2022.

The FA market will get stronger as teams struggle to get under.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 07:11 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The Bengals are the one team that has shown they can beat the Chiefs.   If Jones wants to shove it in their faces and still get paid (I dont know about 30 million) the Bengals might be appealing.  If he would do something like a 3 year 27 million per year, you would have to consider it.

Makes sense to me, would love it if we coaxed Chris Jones to come here to beat his old team. Like you said, we are the one team that has 
shown we can beat the Chiefs and we didn't have our starting QB the last time we played them. And even with our backup QB we could of 
won that game if certain things went out way in that 2nd half.

(03-06-2024, 07:11 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Buffalo releases Poyer, Morse, and White.

https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-releasing-all-pro-safety-jordan-poyer-after-seven-seasons

Morse and Poyer made the pro-bowl in 2022.

The FA market will get stronger as teams struggle to get under.

I would be interested in Poyer, just like Byard and maybe even better. Tre White would be great if he can get over that injury he had last year.

What position does Morse play again? For some reason I cannot remember Morse?
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 07:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Makes sense to me, would love it if we coaxed Chris Jones to come here to beat his old team. Like you said, we are the one team that has 
shown we can beat the Chiefs and we didn't have our starting QB the last time we played them. And even with our backup QB we could of 
won that game if certain things went out way in that 2nd half.

I would be interested in Poyer, just like Byard and maybe even better. Tre White would be great if he can get over that injury he had last year.

What position does Morse play again? For some reason I cannot remember Morse?

Center. He'd be a move Karras to LG type. Kind of a better version of Karras at C. Not a great run blocker but elite in pass pro. 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 06:49 PM)Nepa Wrote: Chris Jones will want $30 million a year. He may take something less to re-sign with the Chiefs, but other teams would have to pony up an annual salary of $30 million. I don't think the Chiefs would go that high, not for someone 30 years old, and I certainly don't think the Bengals would go that high. Imagine if he were to get injured and a team has all that money tied up. Look what the Bills got for the 120 million dollars spent on Von Miller.

Jones (while seeming fairly buzzed) mentioned something about a 3 year deal with KC at their victory celebration. Not sure if things have changed. Just mentioning what he said in the moment. 
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2024, 07:32 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Center. He'd be a move Karras to LG type. Kind of a better version of Karras at C. Not a great run blocker but elite in pass pro. 

Ahh, I was thinking Defense with the Poyer/White mentions. Thanks, I would be for bringing in Morse as well honestly. I thought the Bills
would have to part with some of their good players, but that is rough seeing those guys go honestly. White maybe not as much if the injury
is a real bad one and he might never be the same player but he was their best Corner before the injury.
Reply/Quote
Dotson re-signed with the Rams to a three-year, $48 million deal that includes $32 million guaranteed

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 07:46 PM)pally Wrote: Dotson re-signed with the Rams to a  three-year, $48 million deal that includes $32 million guaranteed

Yes, he sounded pretty happy to remain with the Rams.  I just heard an interview with him on Moving the Chains.  Spoke about how great it is to play with Matthew Stafford and loves the bond that he and his fellow OL mates have.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Patriots signed former Steelers OT Chukwuma Okorafor today. What is the rule on teams being able to sign free agents (who were on other teams) before the legal tampering period on Monday? Can the Bengals sign Justin Simmons now because he was released?
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 08:24 PM)Nepa Wrote: Patriots signed former Steelers OT Chukwuma Okorafor today. What is the rule on teams being able to sign free agents (who were on other teams) before the legal tampering period on Monday? Can the Bengals sign Justin  Simmons now because he was released?

He was released outright.  He was not a free agent on an expiring contract.  Those contracts don't officially expire until 4:00 PM Mar 13.  Anyone already on the street can be signed

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2024, 08:24 PM)Nepa Wrote: Patriots signed former Steelers OT Chukwuma Okorafor today. What is the rule on teams being able to sign free agents (who were on other teams) before the legal tampering period on Monday? Can the Bengals sign Justin  Simmons now because he was released?

You can sign players, who were cut, immediately.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote