Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Franchise Tag
(09-05-2023, 04:10 PM)Housh Wrote: Tee would get a 1st and more easily. One second rounder is extremely too low for Tee. That’s not bias either. Every credible journalist and sports analyst Iv seen says the Tee price would be over a 1st rounder. Keep in mind hed most teams number 1 guy so his stats would explode on another team and everyone knows it.

I predict we’d get back at least 3 picks for Tee, with at least 2/3 of those picks being in the 1st four rounds

Tee isn't bringing back a first for one year of service at a top 3 WR contract. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 01:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: So its been a few years.

Jags tagged and Traded Yannick Ngakoue in 2020
Texans Clowney 2019
Chiefs Dee Ford in 2019
Seattle Frank Clark in 2019

Wasn't Davonte Adams tagged and traded. 

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 01:08 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: When is the last time any team tagged and traded someone. Just feels like this never happens.

2022?  

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 04:10 PM)Housh Wrote: Tee would get a 1st and more easily. One second rounder is extremely too low for Tee. That’s not bias either. Every credible journalist and sports analyst Iv seen says the Tee price would be over a 1st rounder. Keep in mind hed most teams number 1 guy so his stats would explode on another team and everyone knows it.

I predict we’d get back at least 3 picks for Tee, with at least 2/3 of those picks being in the 1st four rounds

I can see Tee getting a mid to late 1st Rounder,  other wise it would be multiple selections.

Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 07:05 PM)casear2727 Wrote: 2022?  

Have the Bengals ever tagged and traded someone?
Reply/Quote
Tee Higgins SHOULD bring back a Brown-to-Philly type deal. Tennessee got a mini-haul for him, didn't they?
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 12:10 PM)phil413 Wrote: No way they let Tee walk, if anything they tag and trade him even for a 2nd rather than lose him.

When have they ever done that? They either extend him or tag him and let him go the following year. I think this is the most likely scenario.
Reply/Quote
Seems like the transition tag could make sense for Tee. Seems it is rarely used
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 07:55 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Have the Bengals ever tagged and traded someone?

Not off the top of my head.....?

Reply/Quote
If Tee isn't extended, then he'll be tagged 100%. I'm sure the entire offseason notion will be to tag and trade him, but I'm sure we'll hang onto him and he'll walk the following offseason. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 07:55 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Have the Bengals ever tagged and traded someone?

Dan Wilkinson tagged and traded to Washington
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Of course we get a 1st out of it and probably more, my point was they'll take a low offer (2nd) before just not setting aside the money to tag him at all and letting him walk.  They of course keep him over a lowball deal, but if they decide it's too much to pay him they still likely discuss trades and take a lesser offer for the money being held up during FA and then extend others.

To those that ask what was the last time we did such a thing I don't have an answer and I don't think it matters.  What matters is if it's the right move.  They don't typically push for a pay cut but they did so with Mixon.  They don't typically get a discount from a Pro Bowler  but did so with Brown.  They don't typically cut players with higher dead money but they have before.  I think we see this play out like TJ because of familiarity, but the Bengals put themselves in a spot financially where they can justify keeping Tee for one year with the tag.  I guess I should have mentioned timing is the issue.  They can tag him and if negotiations go south trade him.  I'd rather keep him, but I'd rather get something in return than lose him for nothing. 
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 07:04 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Wasn't Davonte Adams tagged and traded. 

Yes your right the article i found must have been written before then lol
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2023, 12:19 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: If Tee isn't extended, then he'll be tagged 100%. I'm sure the entire offseason notion will be to tag and trade him, but I'm sure we'll hang onto him and he'll walk the following offseason. 

I would hate to see Tee walk and get nothing for him when we could trade him and get a draft pick that would help the team.

As far as tagging Tee, a WR tag next year is expected to cost 23 million.  If the Bengals were willing to spend 23 million to tag Tee, wouldnt they just sign him to a 23 million per year contract?  Tagging Tee and keeping him doesnt make sense when they could just pay him a 23 million per year contract to begin with.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 08:38 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Tee Higgins SHOULD bring back a Brown-to-Philly type deal. Tennessee got a mini-haul for him, didn't they?

1st (18th overall) and 3rd (101st overall) is what the Titans got.

Barring a huge year by Tee, the Bengals would probably get a little less next offseason than they would have this offseason because it's a year later in their deals. Brown was traded when he still had 1yr/~$1m on his rookie contract, so with a 4yr/$100m extension he was under team control for the new team for 5yr/~$101m. If Tee's tag is $21-23m next year, that's the difference of $20m or more for the first year of team control, which is pretty big.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2023, 01:18 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I would hate to see Tee walk and get nothing for him when we could trade him and get a draft pick that would help the team.

As far as tagging Tee, a WR tag next year is expected to cost 23 million.  If the Bengals were willing to spend 23 million to tag Tee, wouldnt they just sign him to a 23 million per year contract?  Tagging Tee and keeping him doesnt make sense when they could just pay him a 23 million per year contract to begin with.

It would come down to investing that amount of money for multiple years vs just a single year.
You also have to worry about what others will end up costing too, specifically Chase.
If Higgins gets $23 mill for multiple years, you have to think Chase will want $30+ mill APY, which is what Tyreek Hill has.
And the only WRs to get $23+ mill APY currently are Hill, Adams, Kupp, AJ Brown, Diggs, Metcalf, Deebo, McLaurin.

You have to think Higgins+Chase will be around $50 mill APY together, and Burrow will probably be $50+ mill himself.
So ~$100 mill in just 3 players.
The base salary cap for this year is $225 mill, and it will go up but by how much? It's typically been going up just $5-8 mill each year outside of COVID.
Let's just assume it'd be $250 mill by the time all 3 guys are on the books.
You're gonna invest ~40% of the entire cap to just 3 offensive players, none of which are OL?

If you do that, you better be ready to get real creative on OL and defense outside of a few guys.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2023, 02:07 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It would come down to investing that amount of money for multiple years vs just a single year.
You also have to worry about what others will end up costing too, specifically Chase.
If Higgins gets $23 mill for multiple years, you have to think Chase will want $30+ mill APY, which is what Tyreek Hill has.
And the only WRs to get $23+ mill APY currently are Hill, Adams, Kupp, AJ Brown, Diggs, Metcalf, Deebo, McLaurin.

You have to think Higgins+Chase will be around $50 mill APY together, and Burrow will probably be $50+ mill himself.
So ~$100 mill in just 3 players.
The base salary cap for this year is $225 mill, and it will go up but by how much? It's typically been going up just $5-8 mill each year outside of COVID.
Let's just assume it'd be $250 mill by the time all 3 guys are on the books.
You're gonna invest ~40% of the entire cap to just 3 offensive players, none of which are OL?

If you do that, you better be ready to get real creative on OL and defense outside of a few guys.

And there is talk that the Vikings might make JJ the highest pad nonQB in the league.  That would suck bad. 

Reply/Quote
Tee and he will probably get traded for a ton of picks or a first + significant player.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I've always felt that they would tag him next year, and Jacksonville would sign him to a huge deal, similar to what Ja'Marr and Justin Jefferson will be getting.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2023, 04:57 PM)SmoothD Wrote: I've always felt that they would tag him next year, and Jacksonville would sign him to a huge deal, similar to what Ja'Marr and Justin Jefferson will be getting.

Jags are actually already doing fine as far as receiving targets go.

Christian Kirk just put up over 1,100 yards and they have him for 3 years.
Zay Jones just put up over 800 yards and they have him for 2 years.
Evan Engram just put up over 750 yards and they have him for 3 years. (Plus they just spent a 2nd on a TE.)

They traded last year for Calvin Ridley after he was suspended for the season for gambling and the last time he played significantly he put up over 1,350 yards, though that was awhile ago now and there's no way to know how a guy will bounce back from a long absence on the field. 

More likely they re-sign Ridley for less money than Higgins would get and keep the picks they'd have to give up for him.

- - - - -

I like Higgins and I think he'll get a real payday in the $24-26m/yr range, but he's not going to be anywhere similar to Chase or Jefferson. That's going to be $30-32m/yr.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote