Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Franchise Tag
(09-05-2023, 05:18 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Tee isn't bringing back a first for one year of service at a top 3 WR contract. 

I think there would be an obvious agreement that the new team is going to get him a new deal
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2023, 12:10 PM)phil413 Wrote: No way they let Tee walk, if anything they tag and trade him even for a 2nd rather than lose him.

Isn't Tee restricted too?
Reply/Quote
Exclusive tag is average of top 5 salaries. Non-exclusive tag is average of top 10, but Tee could sign for more elsewhere and Bengals would get 2 firsts. It's better all around to sign Tee to a longer contract now. I get the feeling that Tee is willing to be a number 2 opposite Chase, but not at a big discount.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 12:44 AM)puddycat Wrote: Exclusive tag is average of top 5 salaries.  Non-exclusive tag is average of top 10, but Tee could sign for more elsewhere and Bengals would get 2 firsts.  It's better all around to sign Tee to a longer contract now.  I get the feeling that Tee is willing to be a number 2 opposite Chase, but not at a big discount.

I dont know if Tee would be willing to give any kind of discount if Burrow gets all he can and becomes the highest paid player in the NFL.  Why would Tee take less to keep the team together if Burrow doesnt?  I think the Burrow contract sets the tone.  If Burrow wants to be the highest paid player in the NFL why wouldnt Tee or Chase go for everything they can?
Reply/Quote
Whoever gets the tag, it'll be a sign they won't be extended.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 03:38 PM)jj22 Wrote: Whoever gets the tag, it'll be a sign they won't be extended.

I was curious about how accurate this could be (not that I think you're wrong) so I decided to google the tag history

1998 - Big Daddy Dan Wilkinson - traded before the season started I think?  Memory is hazy on when he went to WAS
1999 - Carl Pickens - extended
2007 - Justin Smith - left following year
2008 - Stacy Andrews - left following year
2009 - Shayne Graham - left following year
2012 - Mike Nugent - extended
2013 - Michael Johnson - left the following year but then came back!
2020 - AJ Green - left following year
2022 - Jesse Bates - left following year

I guess we'll see what really happens
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Looking more and more likely that Tee will be tagged in 2024 and will move on afterwards, hopefully with a couple SB wins.

Hopefully by then Chivosh is growing into a stud himself and Chase has his deal in place.
Reply/Quote
At this moment in time idk how Tee leverages for a deal any higher than what AJ Brown got. (4 years 100m, 40M guaranteed(if i believe.)

Honestly he’s probably earned a little less if we don’t factor in the insane season he’s most likely about to have.

With inflation I’d be ready to offer Tee 4 years 110

Should probably offer 3 years but that’s a convo for another time
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I don't see how we tag Reader over Tee. Reader is a beast and we need him for our defense, but we really don't have a #2 WR after Tee since Boyd is an UDFA too. The only way I see us tagging Reader is if we sign Boyd to a small contract before hand. Otherwise our WR room drops off a massive cliff after Chase. Reader might not demand as much money as people think because of his age, but he is a huge piece of our defense. We might go WR early in the draft next year if it lines up for us, or better yet one of our rookies will impress us and make it feel like less of a need. We don't want to end up like KC where they let all their weapons go and they look like they did last night.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 05:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Looking more and more likely that Tee will be tagged in 2024 and will move on afterwards, hopefully with a couple SB wins.

Hopefully by then Chivosh is growing into a stud himself and Chase has his deal in place.

Yeah one of the few ways to keep him long term may have been at a 3 or 4 year front loaded deal and then hope Chase backloads his deal.  With the concussion history I'm not sure why Tee would take that.

Again, they'll tag Tee and if the right trade comes along they may do so before free agency....especially if they can get agreements from guys like Reader and Awuzie.  Keep chemistry and get the picks.  That or they tag him and if he has a monster year maybe they gamble and tag him again to still trade him two offseasons from now.  It would be a big hit, but only for one year maybe they can move money around to still trade him and get picks, and them have money in FA.  
Reply/Quote
A tag for Tee would cost 23 million dollars. AJ Brown signed for 25 million dollars per year. Would any team in the NFL take Higgins over Brown? Higgins is not at Browns level and shouldnt be paid like it.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 11:33 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: A tag for Tee would cost 23 million dollars.  AJ Brown signed for 25 million dollars per year.  Would any team in the NFL take Higgins over Brown?  Higgins is not at Browns level and shouldnt be paid like it.

OK I'll bite! In what way is Tee not on Brown's level?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 07:02 PM)Housh Wrote: At this moment in time idk how Tee leverages for a deal any higher than what AJ Brown got. (4 years 100m, 40M guaranteed(if i believe.)

Honestly he’s probably earned a little less if we don’t factor in the insane season he’s most likely about to have.

With inflation I’d be ready to offer Tee 4 years 110

Should probably offer 3 years but that’s a convo for another time

I agree, as of today future WR salaries would be the only reason to pay over AJ.  Tee could have a monster year and a tag would be a discount for us or allocate even more assets in a potential trade, a win for the team either way.  Tee having an average to good year could be the worst case scenario for 2024.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 11:38 PM)J24 Wrote: OK I'll bite! In what way is Tee not on Brown's level?

Brown is just a much better receiver.  He averages more yards per catch at 2.4 more yards every catch he makes than Higgins.  He averages more TDs at 8.75 per season than Higgins 6.3.  Brown is just at a different level than Higgins.  Our fans have went from recognizing Higgins as a bottom tier #1 receiver to claiming Higgins is in the top 10.  I like Higgins and am glad he is on the team but he is not a top 10 WR and he shouldnt be paid like one.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 11:38 PM)J24 Wrote: OK I'll bite! In what way is Tee not on Brown's level?

AJ Brown is a bonafide top 10 WR. I’d personally have Tee more in the 10-15 range.

Reply/Quote
(09-06-2023, 01:18 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I would hate to see Tee walk and get nothing for him when we could trade him and get a draft pick that would help the team.

As far as tagging Tee, a WR tag next year is expected to cost 23 million.  If the Bengals were willing to spend 23 million to tag Tee, wouldnt they just sign him to a 23 million per year contract?  Tagging Tee and keeping him doesnt make sense when they could just pay him a 23 million per year contract to begin with.

Because you can afford to pay him that next year when Burrow and Chase's numbers are still low, but not beyond that when their numbers go up.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 12:05 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Because you can afford to pay him that next year when Burrow and Chase's numbers are still low, but not beyond that when their numbers go up.

Yep. Pretty simple. Next year we can still afford it before the bill comes due for Burrow and Chase. The window will never be wider open than this season and next.

Plus, Tee probably wouldn’t take $23 million/per anyway.

Reply/Quote