Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
***2024 NFL DRAFT THREAD***
(04-27-2024, 03:50 PM)matmaven Wrote: Conventional wisdom is that the draft falls off considerably in the last couple of rounds.  Not sure why the Bengals would keep all 10 picks if that is true and given they have limited roster room.

Convectional wisdom says it falls off, hence the draft trade value system.

Some teams like to trade up to fish in the richer pools, other trust the scouting department to sift the gold from the silt and sand.

Maybe the Bengals think they hit what they needed to hit and depth/sleepers is what they are going after?

That said, I get your strategy. It could work, but not what the current coaching staff in leaning towards.

Love the idea of the aggressive approach.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 03:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Why so?  I’m not debating you but it would be interesting to read how you would have drafted differently.

We just took a 24 year old slow CB in round five. 

We've been sitting on our hands this entire draft, with a plethora of picks, as we continue to take inferior talent because we are scared to death to leverage picks to move up. 

I'm tired of letting the board fall and taking sloppy seconds while everyone else gets the talent, especially when we are in win now mode.

It started with missing on Murphy and Newton and has continued this entire draft. 

Bengals are whiffing while they continue to hoard their precious later picks. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 03:53 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Huh?

When did I say anything of that sort?

I was quoting Frank. What you emboldened was sort of in just towards your OSU dislike. We'll revisit the pick later as we discussed. You and I go way back and generally are civil with one another. No worries with you. However, Frank can piss off. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 03:56 PM)CincyKid Wrote: you love your Bengals........love the sarcasm 

I love the Bengals as much as the Bengals love former team captains. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 03:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Why so? I’m not debating you but it would be interesting to read how you would have drafted differently.

More win now help.

The past few years we have seemed to have drafted for the future, Dax, Turner and Murphy etc.

It’s exciting to see us taking some big swings some might work others won’t.

But for a team that only has Higgins for one more year a 4th place schedule and plenty of picks to package to move up to get players that could help us win the Lombardi this year it’s been a disappointment.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 03:58 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Convectional wisdom says it falls off, hence the draft trade value system.

convectional oven

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 03:59 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I was quoting Frank. What you emboldened was sort of in just towards your OSU dislike. We'll revisit the pick later as we discussed. You and I go way back and generally are civil with one another. No worries with you. However, Frank can piss off. 

Indeed we do and that makes sense.

Was gonna say, I NEVER brought that up lol, though I am not a fan of OSU, that's for sure Wink
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Meltdowns over day 3 picks will never not be funny.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 03:58 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We just took a 24 year old slow CB in round five. 

We've been sitting on our hands this entire draft, with a plethora of picks, as we continue to take inferior talent because we are scared to death to leverage picks to move up. 

I'm tired of letting the board fall and taking sloppy seconds while everyone else gets the talent, especially when we are in win now mode.

It started with missing on Murphy and Newton and has continued this entire draft. 

You are assuming they missed on Murphy.  They may have picked Mims regardless.

You aren’t in the room, and we can thank Good for that.

I’m not sure you follow football, you obviously don’t enjoy it.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 03:58 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We just took a 24 year old slow CB in round five. 

I guess I like the Jenkins pick more than you.

I would have loved to trade up for Newton but I’m very happy with who we got at DT.

Burton is going to be a beast IMO.

I feel like today is where we could have done better. Could have moved around more today with all the picks like you said.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 03:51 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Did they show any Newton highlights on TV?
Looks like they went to commercial for the pick and then a QB was chosen so they went on and on about Rattler. Now they are showing tape on every pick again.  Would have liked to hear some of their thoughts on Newton.

NO, they didn't.  This is when draft coverage by both ESPN and NFL Network goes into the toilet.  Not worth watching now, as it is last rounds every year.  All you get is the talking heads. few highlight footage.  Didn't even get much info on Newton.  The CBS draft tracker site says Newton has a skill in good in press coverage.  Not a good tackler, not very athletic and on and on what he is bad at.  However is a good press coverage guy.....I see he is 6 foot tall and 190. and Bengals tend to like the taller CB's over those short guys, so 6 foot tall is probably what Bengals like.   TV didn't say much about him, but they skip over Cincinnati a lot in the drafts in the late rounds, and not much now for Bengals Fans to keep watching ESPN of NFL Network as they will skip over Cincinnati from here to the end. .....It didn't say good on Special Teams. sometimes a late DB is to help on Special Teams, but no info on that.....Good in press coverage, which is something. A player to develop and Coach Up.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 03:59 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I was quoting Frank. What you emboldened was sort of in just towards your OSU dislike. We'll revisit the pick later as we discussed. You and I go way back and generally are civil with one another. No worries with you. However, Frank can piss off. 

(04-27-2024, 04:00 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Indeed we do and that makes sense.

Was gonna say, I NEVER brought that up lol, though I am not a fan of OSU, that's for sure Wink

what the hell did that texans fan say?

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote

To Weezy's correct point- we are a SB contender w/ 4 or 5 possible landing spots for rookies but we are loaded w/ 10 picks..........use the extra picks and trade up for the 4 or 5 studs you covet
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 04:01 PM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: You are assuming they missed on Murphy.  They may have picked Mims regardless.

You aren’t in the room, and we can thank Good for that.

I’m not sure you follow football, you obviously don’t enjoy it.

You are absolutely shitting yourself if you don't think the Bengals wanted Murphy over Mims. The look on their faces when Murphy was picked is all you needed to know. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 03:58 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Convectional wisdom says it falls off, hence the draft trade value system.

Some teams like to trade up to fish in the richer pools, other trust the scouting department to sift the gold from the silt and sand.

Maybe the Bengals think they hit what they needed to hit and depth/sleepers is what they are going after?

That said, I get your strategy. It could work, but not what the current coaching staff in leaning towards.

Love the idea of the aggressive approach.

They definitely seem to be taking more high ceiling/low players than usual:

Mims - off the chart measurables but limited experience and some injury concern
Burton - Rd 1 talent but character concerns
All - Flashes of great traits and production but significant injury concerns.

Not necessarily a bad approach when you have a fairly established roster.

Would have liked the draft a lot better if they had gone Stover and Wiley instead of All and if they have moved up a couple spots to get Estime.  
Reply/Quote
Hi all. I know the draft can be fun, exciting and sometimes frustrating. I recently removed some posts that I felt crossed the line and the replies quoting those posts. Please try to keep comments related to the draft and not attacking other forum members. Thanks.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 04:04 PM)CincyKid Wrote: To Weezy's correct point- we are a SB contender w/ 4 or 5 possible landing spots for rookies but we are loaded w/ 10 picks..........use the extra picks and trade up for the 4 or 5 studs you covet

They could have traded up like 3 different times to get a better player at a position they drafted. It's ridiculous. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 03:56 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Yeah, well, that’s just like, your opinion man.

Weezy coming to shove your head in a toilet and pee on your rug in 5, 4, 3....

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 04:00 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: convectional oven

Some players need more time in the oven to reach their potential...
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2024, 04:05 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They could have traded up like 3 different times to get a better player at a position they drafted. It's ridiculous. 

I'm assuming you mean Jer'Zhan Newton but that means they wouldn't have Burton and Jackson if they traded up into Newton range. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote