Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Van Pelt
(02-04-2018, 12:54 PM)SHRacerX Wrote:   I believe the catch-phrase now is "chunk plays"  

So, if a team whiffs on multiple opportunities at big plays, did the officially "blow chunks"?   Hmm
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2018, 12:54 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I was intrigued about this hiring when I thought he might have been there when the incredibly average Matt Flynn had a ridiculous 470+ yard game against Detroit the last week of the season (his only start) and parlayed it in to a contract at Seattle, but Van Pelt didn't start there until 2014.

Hard to judge the man's talent as a coach when he had the best QB and a lot of the stuff Rogers does seems to be off-script.  I am hopeful that he can work with Lazor on "scramble drills" as when you watch piggy or Rogers, you see WRs continue to specified spots when a play breaks down and those often end up as huge plays.  I believe the catch-phrase now is "chunk plays"  Hilarious.  The Bengals receivers just stop running and watch Dalton look for help only to end up throwing it away or getting sacked.  

Van Pelt strikes me as a guy that was racing Civics with a Ferrari.  That won't be the case in Cincy.  I gave Zampese a shot and it backfired.  As QB coach, I hope more than anything he can help Dalton with one of his biggest weaknesses:  zeroing in on his primary target.  I hope he can help him learn to look off safeties and start working with his secondary and tertiary options. 

I agree that is easy to succeed with Rodgers, but if he only teaches Andy one thing (to be better after the play breaks down) I will be happy.

On the other side of that, I dont understand why our receivers give up so easy when the play breaks down. I cant count how many times Rottenburger makes big plays out of nothing. I dont want Andy to throw it every time he rolls away from pressure because he will turn into an INT machine but c'mon man. You have A.J. Green Just throw the ball up for grabs and let him come down with it some times!!
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2018, 01:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, if a team whiffs on multiple opportunities at big plays, did the officially "blow chunks"?   Hmm

Bwahahahahhaha... Hilarious LMAO Hilarious LMAO

We now have a category that we lead the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2018, 01:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, if a team whiffs on multiple opportunities at big plays, did the officially "blow chunks"?   Hmm

Lol, Nice one

Reminds me of that old joke with the punchline "but Chunks was my dog!"
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2018, 01:01 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: I agree that is easy to succeed with Rodgers, but if he only teaches Andy one thing (to be better after the play breaks down) I will be happy.

On the other side of that, I dont understand why our receivers give up so easy when the play breaks down. I cant count how many times Rottenburger makes big plays out of nothing. I dont want Andy to throw it every time he rolls away from pressure because he will turn into an INT machine but c'mon man. You have A.J. Green Just throw the ball up for grabs and let him come down with it some times!!

That's coaching.  I had high hopes for Coach Urban (dashed).  Even AJ Green just gives up on broked plays.  A lot more than he used to, and that is both disappointing and disturbing.  
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2018, 10:26 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yep. That’s what I blame my alcoholism on. The Friggin Bengals.

I quit smoking about 6 years ago.  On average I smoked a pack to pack and a half a day, with the exception being Sundays in the fall and winter when the number would clear 2+ packs.

I always told myself that if I were to ever receive a nasty diagnosis in my lungs I would not sue the tobacco companies for causing it.  I would sue Mike Brown for causing it!
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2018, 01:01 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: I agree that is easy to succeed with Rodgers, but if he only teaches Andy one thing (to be better after the play breaks down) I will be happy.

The difference is that Ben's size makes him incredibly difficult to bring down, and he can still wing it even in the someone's grasp.  So all of the receivers know that there is still a great chance the ball will come to them if they keep running.

Our guys know that Andy can slip out of someone's grip on occasionally, but the odds are good that the underneath guy on Andy's side of the field is the only guy who really has a shot at the ball getting to them if he is tied up in any way.

If Andy fully breaks free and the blockers can tie up the pursuit long enough for Andy to set his feet, then the guys downfield have a shot, but that second half of the equation rarely happens.  Thus the receivers stop short knowing that the ball will be a dump off, throw away, or Andy will tuck it and run.

It once again goes back to protection.  Keep him free to set his feet and good things happen.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2018, 01:20 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: The difference is that Ben's size makes him incredibly difficult to bring down, and he can still wing it even in the someone's grasp.  So all of the receivers know that there is still a great chance the ball will come to them if they keep running.

Our guys know that Andy can slip out of someone's grip on occasionally, but the odds are good that the underneath guy on Andy's side of the field is the only guy who really has a shot at the ball getting to them if he is tied up in any way.

If Andy fully breaks free and the blockers can tie up the pursuit long enough for Andy to set his feet, then the guys downfield have a shot, but that second half of the equation rarely happens.  Thus the receivers stop short knowing that the ball will be a dump off, throw away, or Andy will tuck it and run.

It once again goes back to protection.  Keep him free to set his feet and good things happen.

Yeah that makes a whole lot of sense. What really bugs me is that Andy always goes running outside. Sometimes you need to step up and take a hit to deliver a throw. He wont do that like Tom Brady does. I wonder why that is?  (Hint: his name rhymes with Tussel Flodine 
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2018, 01:20 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: The difference is that Ben's size makes him incredibly difficult to bring down, and he can still wing it even in the someone's grasp.  So all of the receivers know that there is still a great chance the ball will come to them if they keep running.

This does not excuse our receivers quitting on plays. This is a coaching problem. 

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2018, 02:47 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: This does not excuse our receivers quitting on plays. This is a coaching problem. 

Yep

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2018, 02:47 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: This does not excuse our receivers quitting on plays. This is a coaching problem. 

Completely agree.  Who doesn't prepare for plays to break down, and have a contingency plan in place?  

Heck, every team that I ever played for had backup plans.  On STs for example, bad snap on place kick?  Holder yells "fire", and receivers go into designated pass routes.  Problem on punt?  No problem, one of the protectors yells "fire", along with a direction, and all players block to that side of the field.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2018, 03:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Completely agree.  Who doesn't prepare for plays to break down, and have a contingency plan in place?  

Heck, every team that I ever played for had backup plans.  On STs for example, bad snap on place kick?  Holder yells "fire", and receivers go into designated pass routes.  Problem on punt?  No problem, one of the protectors yells "fire", along with a direction, and all players block to that side of the field.

We have "stick with the plan" Marvin. I swear he sucks so friggen bad.

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2018, 02:44 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Yeah that makes a whole lot of sense. What really bugs me is that Andy always goes running outside. Sometimes you need to step up and take a hit to deliver a throw. He wont do that like Tom Brady does. I wonder why that is?  (Hint: his name rhymes with Tussel Flodine 

I disagree with that.

He does it every time he can.

Unfortunately he more often has to step back to buy the room needed for his arm to follow through.

That point does speak to your point about the interior protection.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2018, 04:49 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I disagree with that.

Unfortunately he more often has to step back to buy the room needed for his arm to follow through.

Yeah I realize that is a problem and I referenced it. I have seen plenty of times that the middle is clean and he rolls out and back in to the pressure instead of stepping up so he can view the field. This may be because of jumpy feet because of the lack of protection from Bodine.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2018, 04:49 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I disagree with that.

I think we even have a thread somewhere in this forum about what pockets have looked like for the Bengals versus other teams. And our pockets almost always look narrow and the nose is pushed in. It has affected every QB we've had in this situation - remember Palmer when Ghiacuc was doing this nonsense? He had similar issues because there was nowhere to step up into.
Reply/Quote